Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

#155
4.2

Ratings: 13,419 |  Reviews: 3,611

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: I was very excited to find this at the bar we went to before dinner (very good Thai, BTW) as it wasn’t on the beer list, but the bartender mentioned they had it after telling my friend they were out of the Green Flash West Coast IPA. I couldn’t get a good look at the color as I was unable to hold it up to the light. The head was excellent as proved by the lacing, it was ravishing, lingering on the glass until the very last swallow. A lovely sight to behold.

Smell: No mistaking that this is a DIPA. More citrus aroma than pine, definitely grapefruit and lemon zest.

Taste: The ABV was sly, not in your face like you might expect from a 10% beer. The balance was remarkable for a beer called HOPslam. The hops flavor was strong and able, but not overpowering like some other DIPA’s and IPA’s.

Mouthfeel: A great beer to savor, the taste does not diminish as it warms. It settles into all the spaces and corners of your mouth just making itself at home. I liked the carbonation.

Overall: I drank this after having a Lagunitas Sucks earlier in the evening, so I think I will go back and try it again all by its lonesome. I did enjoy it immensely but it was partly influenced by the overall nice time I was having with my husband and my best friends. If I can get my hands on it again, I will give it a proper taste test.

4.87/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottled on 1/03/13

Appearance: Golden beauty with a white 2 finger head that recedes a bit but sticks around. Nice lacing, for sure.

Smell: Please, please, please let the taste match the smell.! Mango, honey, citrus and slight grapefruit team up to make one of the best smelling beers, ever. Damn.

Taste: Honey is present throughout the course of the drink. It allows citrus/mango sweetness to take center stage with a nice quick crescendo, then as they fade, the bitterness sets in gradually at the end. The end of the drink is nicely balanced, however and finishes bittersweet in a pleasant way. Booze is hid pretty well for a fresh beer. It doesn't get much better than this.

Mouthfeel: Full and nice, with ample carbonation and still isn't too much.

Overall: This was my first slamdance and you can color me impressed. One of the best 2xIPAs I've ever had. Hype=earned. I drank this way too fast...

4.61/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Dated 1/9/13.

Appearance - beautiful light gold color, pours a 1 finger head with lacing that stays around.

Smell- a blast of citrus, honey, mango, tropical fruits

Taste - hoppy! Lots of fruit, citrus, bitter (great!) and a hint of alcohol (to be expected)

Overall - by far one of my favorite brews. Amazing and wish I could have more then three bottles. I'll try really hard next year to get more. Highly recommended!

4.56/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

poured into a tulip glass from bottle

A-clear dark golden color with 1inch white foamy head that slowly dissipates leavin gthick lacing on the sides of glass

S-sweet citrus fruit mango, pineapple, grapefruit

T-taste follows the nose good citrus hops sweet mango / pineapple up front with lemon / grapefruit finish

M-slight carbonation, alcohol is well hidden, very drinkable for ABV

O-Great beer dangerously drinkable, needs to be serve at the right temp as it gets much better as it warms

4.71/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Been wanting to try this for a couple of years now. Still can't get a bottle but got a growler filled today! Time to see if it lives up to all the hype.

Poured from a growler into a Westbrook tulip.

A: Beautiful dark honey/amber color. Slightly off-white, 2 finger, foamy head. Good lacing all the way down.

S: Amazing. Sweet honey, candied orange, floral/citrusy hoppiness.

T: It's starts off with sweet honey/caramel and the grapefruit and orange zest follows closely behind. From there you start to get some of the floral, hop bitterness that lingers right to the end where the malt comes back for one last go. The crisp, hop bitterness wins in the end though and is what is left on your palate.

M: Crisp. Good carbonation but not overdone. Medium mouthfeel.

O: I try not to buy into the hype, but it's hard not to with this one. It is a fantastic DIPA. I'm not the biggest fan of palate destroying, bitter IPA's, so the balance Bell's has created with this one makes this 10% DIPA very drinkable. It definitely leaves you wanting more, and I certainly understand the hype now. Unlike some DIPA's/IPA's I've had, this one is amazing from the first sip all the way down to the bottom of the glass!

3.47/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Fairly transparent, with only the slightest haze preventing clear sight through the glass. The beer is a medium shade of gold, with a very thin white head. A few pecks of bubbles stick to the glass, but no real lacing.

S: Catty scent comes first, followed by light notes of earthiness...but very faint. Some grapefruit comes through when farther back from the glass.

T: Lots of bitterness in the flavor, with that sort-of tree resin quality. Some of the catty flavor comes through as well. It feels like biting into an unripe citrus fruit. Some spruce comes through in the after-taste. I get nothing from the malt.

M: Very chewy. Lots of bitterness that is a tad rough. Fairly light bodied.

O: Overall I thought it was a pretty good beer. It leaned more towards a catty flavor that I'm not fond of, then followed up with a ton of what tasted like citrus rind. I wouldn't say it's my favorite DIPA, but it's pretty good. I'm very surprised that it's 10% ABV because I didn't even check before drinking...and couldn't taste the alcohol at all. Although the flavors were not my favorite as hops are concerned (cat) there was quite a bit of hop flavor.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store