Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

#152
4.2

Ratings: 13,299 |  Reviews: 3,585

4.26/5  rDev -4.5%

Love the IPA, my favorite. I let this chill in my freezer because i was in a hurry to try it. Cooled it to 46F. (Get a laser temp device, they're cheap and accurate). First impression on tasting was the hops, of course. The citrus and carmel sweet came after, but the hops didn't let go. I was impressed by the 20 proof factor, but wondering about how much taste that would hide. Actually, the crafting of this brew made the alc content undetectable. Yep, this one will sneak up on you. I compare this with other IPA brews that have the same flavor but with half of the kick. The head seems to go kinda quick, but with a flavor like this one, I'm good with that. Be careful with this one, young man.

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

bottled 1/9/13, poured into a pint from a 12oz bottle

Appearance: Light amber/orange with a 1 inch head

Smell: potent hops, grapefruit, pineapple, honey

Taste: very bittersweet, some grapefruit, rich caramel malts, honey, pine

Mouthfeel: medium light body, nice carbonation, very drinkable for 10% alc.

Overall: An incredible imperial ipa. Very reminiscent of Sierra Nevada's hoptimum. I love how bitter and drinkable this is. An outstanding IPA. I usually like them extremely fruity but this one is perfect.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Perfect beer to me, one of only two IMHO. 1/4 bbl Slim kegged on 1/27/2012, tapped today 1/28/2013 at my house - cannot get much fresher than that. Beautiful nose, pine forest and grapefruit rinds. Significant carbonation pops the scent of hops into the room, but settles quick clinging to the glass. Complicated mouthfeel, I know it is really bitter, I can feel it at the back of my tongue near the throat where it says grapefruit/lemon but the rest of my mouth says sweet honey and more subtle fruits like peach or that weird fruit pomelo. The final taste is bitter, but not particularly dry (because I am salivating for the next sip?). This is 10%ABV? Hides it very very well under that soft bitter bubbly.

yeah, a perfect 5, this is what it takes to get one of those from my tastebuds and my nose, and any brewery that makes complicated IPA's like this gets my upvotes and money!

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall one of the best DIPA out there get all you can while the supply lasts. I had my last one in early January a year after i got it. still good. Now I have about 4 cases to ponder over the next year. unless someone wants a bottle or two. A must seek out or travel to get some.

4.16/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours cloudy orange with one finger white head. Head dissipates to thin cap leaving nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of peaches, honey and orange blossoms. Flavor is sweet and citrusy with bitter finish. Medium body with light carbonation. Perfect balance of rich malt and bitter hops. A very refreshing easy to drink DIPA.

4.66/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 1/10/13. Light tan head, creamy, sticky lacing, and good retention. Aroma is - bitterness, snweetness, big grapefruit, mango, and pineapple, pine, honey, citrus, caramel malts, and hints of bready malts. Just an assault of hops and sweetness on the mouth. Tropical fruits, pine, citrus, mixed with honey and and light caramel and bready malts. Wondeful. Medium-heavy body, creamy consistency, medium carbonation, and a somewhat crisp finish.

Overall this is an amazing, aptly named, imperial assault on the enamel on my teeth. One of the great examples of the diversity of DIPAs out there. How does this rank among the other top rated DIPAs? I put it in my top 5 or 10. I wish it was priced lower but it's still worth the money, at least to splurge for a 6-pack every year.

4.18/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Shelby at Chuck's in Bowling Green for saving me a sixer when there were only 3 left!

Bottle. Freshness date says "Bottled on 1/17/13" meaning this is technically the freshest bottled beer I have ever had.

A - Beautiful, hazy, luminescent. The head, with a hard pour, culminates in a two-finger beast, but subsides to a thin layer that leaves some spotty sticking on the glass.

S - Honey and sweetness dominate the nose, with no hint of the 10% waiting to kick you in the ass. Maybe some pine notes.

T - Pine resin, clover honey, creamy, SWEET. Big hit of fresh cut grass. Finish is amazing with a distinct layer of fresh picked honeysuckle, specifically. It is scary how little booze I detect.

M - The velvety viscosity of this beer is off the charts. Probably having a good amount to do with the honey (I don't know how much is actually in here) rounding out the already luxurious mouth-feel of most IPAs

O - A must try, it is not for everyone, but I think this is a great beer that may not all the way live up to the hype. But if one were to stumble onto this beer, it would be a very pleasant surprise.

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle, packaged on 1/15/13 poured into a Lost Abbey Teku.

A - Light straw with a pale one finger head and excellent lacing.

S - Smells pretty damn close to a piece of watermelon bazooka bumble gum with a touch of grapefruit. Delicious!

T - I thought I had grapefruit bombs before, I hadn't. This taste like sipping grapefruit juice. It's bitter but not a "tongue bruiser" like the bottle promised. I don't mind, I much prefer balanced IPAs to their 1 trillion IBU counterparts. No oily flavors at all. Very very well done.

M - The only place Hopslam takes a hit from me. Very sticky mouthfeel, I prefer my DIPAs dry.

O - A very well crafted beer and a very easy drinking DIPA, but at $18 a six pack, my wallet is glad it only comes once a year.

2014 batch update.
Just as my notes describe.

2015 batch update. Bottled 1/17, enjoyed 2/6

I hate to be that guy, but this years batch just doesn't compare. Head/lacing sucks, aromatics and flavor are just not there. Mouthfeel is stickier than ever. ATL market received this beer Wednesday, I'm enjoying it on Friday. This is not the hopslam I used to love.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.46 out of 5 with 13,299 ratings