Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

#147
4.2

Ratings: 13,107 |  Reviews: 3,533

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Every year I wait for this to come out and whenever it is gone, I am very sad - and eagerly awaiting its return! This year I was able to get a case, but last year we got the mini kegs too. This is my favorite American DIPA, period.

A - It pours slightly thick and viscous for an IPA, with a golden brown color.

S - The smell is of sweet honey and piny / floral delicious hops.

T - There is nothing that tastes quite like Hopslam. The hop presence is HUGE and it hits you up front with pine and citrus. But, there is a deliciously sweet honey flavor that balances it all out and makes it a deceptively strong beer, at 10%.

M - The mouth feel is sweet, sticky, and thick. The hops will linger on your palate for a while too, but I didn't want them to go away.

O - Overall, after writing this review, I already wish I had some more. Hopslam gets a lot of hype, but in my opinion, it is justified.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Out of bottle, poured into a pint.
This ran same night as Zombie, Blind pig, pliney and some others.

I had this beer a few times before, and have never truely appreciated it. Tonight was a different story. Not sure if it was the other beers that we drank or just hit me at the right time.

A: Looked terrific. Poured a good head and just looked crisp.

S: Hops, imagine that.

T: Hops and a few more hops. alcohol is there, but not over the top. Crisp and firm.

M: Pretty big here. Stands out compared to other.

O: Wonderful beer. 10% and ready for the taking. Not sure if it's one to start the night with, but mix it in after a ocuple and perfecto!

3.97/5  rDev -11%

had this on-tap at the Eccetric Cafe at the Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo MI. I didn't realize it was available this late in the year.

appears a hazy orange copper color with small white head. hoppy aroma is fruity - I pick up a lot of pineapple. taste is actually fairly balanced with caramel malt, finishes hoppy though. medium body and carbonation works for the beer. A bit of booziness, but in a good way.

overall - honestly I was expecting more based on it's reputation. A very good DIPA, and I'd certainly seek it out again. But not a top ten for me.

3.5/5  rDev -21.5%

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.46 out of 5 with 13,107 ratings