Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

#158
4.2

Ratings: 13,420 |  Reviews: 3,611
4.89/5  rDev +9.6%

Hazy golden nectar and thin head.
Smells of hops and honey, inviting.
Taste is bam!! Up-front assault of hops and then the honey smooths it out just as I sense the booze. I'm realizing this is about the best DIPA I've ever had at or above 10% abv. I admit I didn't expect the honey to play as big a role in the flavor as it does. I'm going to sip this one slow and savor it. It feels quite thick, as though it should due to that honey aspect of the brew. Sticky as it begins to warm. Although in the end I prefer more piney/ pineapple/ citrus flavored DIPAs over this, Bell's did as good a job as I can imagine anyone can do with regards to marrying honey to beer and having it all balance out with the big hop flavors like this. For me, the honey gave me the impression of an elixir, but in a very good way. My wife, who hates beer, was on hand and I had her sip this. I asked if she tasted the honey. "No" she said..."but I smelled it". Then I asked "well, what does it taste like?" ..she said "beer... bitter", as she made her usual unpleasant face as she always does after reluctantly trying beer. I then took a couple more sips as it's even warmer now, and there's orange citrus in there too. Syrupy. For a big imperial IPA, sweet. But for what I understand this retails for, this is very good bang for your buck.

3.75/5  rDev -15.9%

4.54/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store