Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Ratings: 13,353 |  Reviews: 3,599

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.12/5  rDev -7.6%

Got this at IP trade, but the bottled on date is December 2011. I've decided to post my initial reactions and then revisit this review when I'm able to get this fresh. (Because it was old, but still pretty damn great)

The pour produces a nice orangey beer that isn't fully opaque, but not translucent either. Nice foamy white head that leaves some sticky lacing.

The smell of this beer is mouthwatering. The citrus dominates, but there is a sweet malt aroma that keeps this in check.

Obviously the hops were the first thing that I tasted, but I didn't get that solid kick I expected, and I feel that the age of the beer affected the quality. The pine and citrus flavors were there, but there seemed to be too much sweetness for what I expected this to be, and how others reviews have pointed out.

Beware of the ABV, because all the people I had try this one we're shocked at the mellow flavor and no presence of alcohol on the tongue.

I was also surprised at how low key the bitterness level is. Quite amazing as I expected an almost tannin-like bitterness to dry my tongue.

I read all about how hardly anything can beat fresh Hopslam, and I have reason to believe those people are on to something. I just wish I could get some Hopslam that is fresh.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

was expecting more hops than sweet honey in this one , but still one to drink again when i get a chance, lets say that i wanted more from this beer. like more bitter finsh considering the name.it kind of reminding me a little like lucky 13.alt from laguntias

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Golden transparent body with a thin bone white head.

S- Piney hops dominate the nose.

T- Tastes like sucking on fresh hop oil. Delicious piney with a hint of citrus hop flavor.

M- Medium body with a sticky mouthfeel.

O- I would be surprised if there was a more hop forward, hop dominated beer.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Aroma is slightly grassy and floral with hints of honey coming through. Pours a nice light orange color and white head. Taste is pretty amazing, I'm not typically a grassy hop person, but the balance of hops they used, the floral notes went really well with the honey and sweet caramel malt bill on this one. Fairly bitter but expected and I really think they nailed the malts on this one to give it a complexity you don't get much with some DIPAs, mouthfeel is a little less drinkable as it's got a good amount of body to this beer. Great beer overall.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store