Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Ratings: 13,000 |  Reviews: 3,525
4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

On cask at The Bulldog NE.

Served in a Bell's Tulip a glowing golden orange with a thick creamy head of beige foam that retains until the last sip.

Huge hoppy, fruity sweet goodness in a glass. Lots of hops, citrus and some pine on the nose. Honey sweetness.

Just like the nose. Big fruity hop flavor all the way through. Nice amount of bitterness that is kept in check by some honey and malt sweetness. Nectar of the gods!

Initially the feel was perfect. Halfway through the glass, the carbonation just disappeared. Maybe it was getting to the end of the cask, but it was still fine. Just not as good as when I started the glass.

Overall, this is my favorite beer of all time. I can't get enough of it and was glad to finally be able to try it on cask. I really wish this beer was made year-round. One can dream can't they?

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

Please mind this review as it will be more of a narrative then notes. Eighteen months ago, I would not go near an IPA, I couldn't stand them. Then one day I had A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin and my world change, something clicked. I can drink any IPA, for example, I now love Stone Ruination.
But I digress. When I tried Hopslam last year, it wasn't for me. This year is a completely different story. I Love this beer. The balance of all the hopes and a little sweetness is great. The aroma brings a smile to my face. The flavor gives a tingle to my loins. Every sip I take, I am happy that I have evolved to love hops!
I also had this on draft and it was pretty damn good too!

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Pours a thick, murky amber with a short but tight orange-tinted off-white head that peels down slowly leaving sticky sheets of lacing.

S: Woah, loads of sweet citrus flavors -- almost smells like a wicked orange Tang. Some tangerine, butter shortening, orange rings, and tiny bit of pine. Underlying aromas are similarly sweet, and creamy akin cake shortening. The smell remains intense through the entire beer!

T: This is without a doubt the smoothest, most balanced, big IPA I've had to date. Rich and buttery malts up front with some sweet citrus, but these flavors implode down to a dry, piney finish that leaves your tastes buts with no question as to what kind of brew your drinking.

M: Smooth and silky with mild carbonation. Somewhat biscuity and rather palette coating. Quite enjoyable.

D: This is a huge find for me. This one really lives up to its hype. I think it's smoother than Pliny. Certainly a world class beer for its style. I have 5 left... Alcohol masked very well on the palette, but man does it creep up on you.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

On-tap at CK Diggs, served in a 10 oz snifter.

Apperance is a golden straw yellow that is very clear with little carbination. Not much of a head on this one, probably attributed to the pour by the tender as I have got quite a head from all bottles of Hopslam I've tried.

The smell is like citrus heaven. I really expected to be able to notice the 10% in the nose but this wasn't the case at all. I probably stuck my nose in the glass at least 5 times before I even took my first sip.

The taste is very citrusy and piney. The finish is quite smooth from the malts with a nice slight honey end. I only wish that this beer was a bit more unbalanced and the hops came through more, hence the 4.5

Even the slightest of sips and this monster is coating and walloping every taste bud on your tongue. Definitely full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. The finish is quite long but also very gentle and ends with just a hint of honey that brings you back for more.

Overall on tap I could keep drinkin em as long as they would keep servin em. Hopslam is great in the bottle but it opens up so much more on tap and anyone who can get a chance to try it most definitely should.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: A deep golden color with light carbonation rising from the bottom. A medium white foamy head stuck around the edges for some time.

Smell: The hopp aroma hits me first followed by sweet grapefruit and a light malt.

Taste: Very complex. It begins like a grapefruit peel, a little bitter and earthy. It then gets more sweet but the slight sour taste lingers. The aftertaste stays with you for some time. Awesome.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: The carbonation and body are light. One of my favorite beers ever.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this about a week afte bottling And my God was is delicious. Tons of resin and citrus just the way a DIPA should be. This might be my favorite DIPA.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe.

Appearance: Pours a dark tangerine color with a solid white head. Good level retention and some nice lace stick. A bit hazy and unassuming considering how much of a hopped up, high ABV DIPA this is.

Smell: Such an elegant blend of hoppy goodness. Juicy grapefruit and pineapple, with orange and a bit of honey in the background.

Taste: This is truly what I have been looking for in a double IPA since I was introduced to the style. It is tough for me to tell when the honey really impacts the flavor, but there is a distinct pale malt sweetness at the beginning of the sip. This malt really frames the hop profile well. Juicy pineapple and grapefruit, along with some other smoothly blended citrusy fruits. Such a fantastic hop profile. Finishes clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel: It would be hard to hide the grainy hop feel and oil, but this is tied together so well. A nice creamy feel, with a fuller than medium body. Finishes clean, with just a touch of hop residue, and it leaves me longing for the next sip.

Drinkability: Having this on tap was absolutely mind blowing. The difference between having a fresh batch is remarkable. It is so difficult to enunciate the nuances that really push this beer over the top.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer pours an amber orange color with a small head that dissipates quickly. The smell is in your face HOPS! Also, pine and citrus with a huge grapefruit nose. The taste has huge citrus flavors - pinapple, orange and grapefruit with a touch of honey and alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is smooth and coats the mouth with hop oil and has perfect carbonation. Drinkability is hindered only by the high alcohol content. Overall, My absolute favorite IPA. I could drink this all day if the alcohol and price were not so high.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

HopSlam? Ought to be called HotDamn!!!
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A: It was like looking at a glass full of clover honey. Clear for the most part, with just a hint of cloudiness. Had about 1/2 inch of head which was nice, white, and thick. Beautifully laced the glass.

S: What can I say that hasn't already been said. Full of hops, pine, and sweet fruit. Just enough maltiness for balance. I could smell it the second I cracked it open. Hint of the alcohol, but not too much.

T: Just like it smells which is why it didn't disappoint. Almost no aftertaste with a smooth clean finish. Just as you take a sip, you get a hit of how floral this brew can be. I found tastebuds I didn't even know I had!

M: A bit thicker than I was hoping for, on the syrupy side. Not too much carbonation made it very comfortable, for lack of a better term.

D: So easy to drink, you forget just how much a six pack would cost! Still not sure just what I'd do to get ahold of some more....

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

The pale bronze colored body was very clear, and the head was small, which I'm sure was due to the alcoholic strength. The smell was a seductive mix of grapefruit, pine resin, and more grapefruit. The taste was very citric and juicy to the core, almost hard candy like in its sweetness until smacking you down with a spicy hop finish. The bitterness was quite low, but otherwise hops drove the show. Sticky texture and long spicy aftertaste made this an enjoyable beer, which was surprisingly approachable despite the double digit ABV. Bravo.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Bright, hazed golden with a white head that retains and laces fairly well considering the abv.

S - Pine hops up front with a honey, caramel sweetness backing it up. Pineapple and mangos come out as it warms a bit.

T - Substantial tropical fruit hop flavoring comes through up front with pineapple, with a rich honey malt backbone, and finishing with a blast of resinous pine hops. I'm not sure how this could really be improved in any way.

M - Close to a full body with ample carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slick mouthfeel with accumulating hop oils and honey coating the mouth.

D - Wow, I never even got a hint of the abv. The use and execution of the honey to create balance is both unique and performed perfectly. The hops provide an abundance of flavor and while the bitterness is there, it never becomes overwhelming. Absolutely lives up to the hype for me.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12oz can into tulip. Canned on January 23rd 2017.

L: Lighter amber color, like honey. Slightly hazy. Two finger fluffy white head. Great retention and amazing lacing.

S: Strong notes of honey, strong floral hop presence. Good malt backbone as well.

T: WOW. Hopslam is an apt name. Rich and complex, perhaps the most complex DIPA I have had to date. (Including Pliny The Elder). Rich oils, Grapefruit, peppery notes. Then the Alcohol takes charge. Warms nicely. Finish is well balanced with the honey and malt.

F: Slightly syrupy but not too much, dulls a decent carbonation by a hair, light-medium body, slick from the hop oils. Warming and semi-dry.

O: Was pretty hyped for this beer and I have to say I was blown away. This was absolutely amazing. Wow. Well done Bell's.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

A: HopSlam pours a slightly hazy tangerine-copper with a creamy ecru-colored head that sticks around a while, retains well, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. Good appearance for a DIPA, but not a world-beater.

S: The aroma, however, is pretty awesome. The honey is detectable as a background element, but the main attractions are the juicy citrus and tropical fruit aromas that explode out of my glass.

T&M: Tons of tropical fruit, citrus, and slightly piney hop flavors here. Absolutely explosive flavor, even now in June. A delicate sweetness from the honey is what really masks the alcohol to me. The maltiness is lightly sweet and cookie-like, though it serves as a light background for the insane hop flavor. The finish is long, drying, and makes me salivate for more. Body is medium to full with a silky feel that's not syrupy or overly resinous and sticky. Very smooth feel.

D: By far the most drinkable DIPA I've had. In fact, this would be quaffable for a standard IPA. Despite its 10% ABV, this beer goes down incredibly easily. Hopslam satisfies hopheads, but will also likely convert many "non-believers" to the incredible potential of highly hopped beers.

Many thanks to mikereaser for allowing me to enjoy this incredible beer.

a: Clear copper color.
s: super floral and citrusy. Had hints of lemon, orange (not like gross orange like a winter beer but like the actual fruit orange)
t: Simply amazing. Perfect balance of citrus and hops. And the hops weren't bitter. They felt smooth and present.
M: Again, very smooth. I could swish it around and not have any negative feelings. The carbonation was also perfect: not too much not too little.

Overall quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Super fruity with the hints of lemon and orange but also had the bitterness I love (and a smooth bitterness at that). This is the only beer I've ever ordered twice on the same night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Slightly hazy honey-gold with white head and nice layers of lacing.

Smell: Mango, sweet orange, grapefruit, peach, honey and pepper. Quite complex.

Taste: Exceedingly hoppy with orange, mango, grapefruit and a touch of pine. Nice counterbalance of semi-sweet mead-like malts. Considering how hoppy this beer is, the finish is surprisingly only slightly bitter.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, relatively light body from the honey, extremely smooth and creamy with a very dry finish.

Drinkability: Insanely drinkable and very dangerous at 10%. Hoppy beers do not get much better than this.

4.76/5  rDev +7.4%

Aroma: Like stepping into a hop field! HUGE I mean HUGE aromatics. The biggest whiff of the freshest hops I have ever smelled, seriously. Tons of chlorophyll. Like rubbing freshly cut grass between your hands when there turning green. Grape skin aroma with a ,now bare with me, a kinda body odor smell, yes like B-O. But not disgusting.

Appearance: Very clear. Golden in color with a slight off white head retention.

Flavor: Huge sweetness from the crystal malts balanced with a citrus hop flavor and smothered in a piney hop bitterness that dominates.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Full bodied ale.

Overall Impression: I've been waiting for this beer for a long time now. WOW! Huge hoppy beer. Not over done, though. Still perfectly balanced. FRESH HOPS!! I couldn't stop appreciating the aroma. This is why Bell's is my favorite. Now, go pick up a sixer and enjoy this amazing beer. With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect?

4.76/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.