Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,441 | Ratings: 12,596
4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

I got this bottle from a trade with Schustar. Thanks man for sending this delight to me.

A - A hazy amber colored beer, or is it gold? There are some nice carbonation bubbles racing to the top. The head isn't really strong and dissolves fast. The laing against the glass is beautiful.

S - A whole tropical forest went in here! Mango, Pineapple and god knows what tropical fruits else is in here. O, and fresh cut grass.

T - A good pine taste upfront, light sweet and a tiny touch of honey.

M - The body is a bit to thin for this style. The medium carbonation is excellent for this beer as is the bitterness in the end.

O - A nice delightful Imperial IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

On-tap at the Blue Nile. Served in a 12 oz goblet.

106 IBUs? Where? Don't get me wrong, there were some amazing aspects to this beer, but bitter it wasn't. This beer was very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. There was some good complexity in the hops flavor, but it was overly juicy to the point of getting away from beer. This made for an amazing aroma, but the taste couldn't quite deliver all the way.

Although the taste didn't exactly do it for me, I was impressed by how drinkable the 9.3% was. The bitterness, or lack of, kind of let me down, but this was still a pretty good DIPA. Worth a try at the least.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Bottled on 1/26/2012. Just picked it up today.

Appearance - Orange amber body. Quite clear. Not much of a head, but it sticks nicely to the glass and leaves some wisps on the surface.

Smell - Wow, it's got a great hop aroma. Up there with the best of em. Citrusy from a distance (literally, from a few feet away), but it's got a dose of pine as I smell it more. Great aroma. Some sweetness comes through, but it's still all about the hops.

Taste - The hop flavor delivers in the front. It's a huge wave of hops that recedes as dramatically as it hits. The citrus gives way to pine, much in the way of the aroma, which gives way to a hefty malt and honey sweetness. Not cloying and not even all that sweet, but it's amazing how much the hops disappear. It still tastes pretty damn good, but not like the best IPAs out there. The finish is boozy and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - After the hops drop off, the booze is pretty evident. There's an astringency presumably from the fermented honey. It's not really bitter, either, but still the bitterness is one of the only flavors that lingers.

Overall - I used to think this beer was the bee's knees of IPAs, but having had far more interesting hop profile IPAs, this one hasn't quite risen to its lofty heights as of late. Definitely not one of those "It was better last year" people, but I feel my appreciation for it has changed.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Got this at IP trade, but the bottled on date is December 2011. I've decided to post my initial reactions and then revisit this review when I'm able to get this fresh. (Because it was old, but still pretty damn great)

The pour produces a nice orangey beer that isn't fully opaque, but not translucent either. Nice foamy white head that leaves some sticky lacing.

The smell of this beer is mouthwatering. The citrus dominates, but there is a sweet malt aroma that keeps this in check.

Obviously the hops were the first thing that I tasted, but I didn't get that solid kick I expected, and I feel that the age of the beer affected the quality. The pine and citrus flavors were there, but there seemed to be too much sweetness for what I expected this to be, and how others reviews have pointed out.

Beware of the ABV, because all the people I had try this one we're shocked at the mellow flavor and no presence of alcohol on the tongue.

I was also surprised at how low key the bitterness level is. Quite amazing as I expected an almost tannin-like bitterness to dry my tongue.

I read all about how hardly anything can beat fresh Hopslam, and I have reason to believe those people are on to something. I just wish I could get some Hopslam that is fresh.

*** Batch 9470 (packaged December 23, 2009)***

Huge thanks to jzeilinger for giving me this brew for nothing but a picture! Shared last night with my wife.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: Bright orange body, slightly hazy with a thick and fluffy head that won't let up. The lacing left behind on the glass is thick and gorgeous.

Smell: Tangerine, melon, pine and juicy hops. Very fresh smelling. Smells delicious.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. More melon than citrus with a touch of sweetness. The piney hops are felt more in the finish and aftertaste. I was expecting a more aggressive hops presence but found it to be quite reserved. The main flavor is the fresh and ripe fruit.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly well-balanced and very smooth. Palate pleasing for sure.

Drinkabilty: This is 10%? No heat whatsoever in the taste. Drinks remarkably well and could have easily had the whole bottle to myself :)

Overall: I must admit to being a little let down as i had it pegged as more of a hop monster (the name kind of leads you along that way) but it is a very tasty DIPA and worth seeking out. This is one to get fresh for sure.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours a honey-amber color, with a soapy white head providing excellent lacing on the sides. This bottle is about six months old or so, so I'm curious to see if the hops have mellowed at all.

Smell is piney hops, decent resin, and a touch of citrus. There's an underlying yeastiness - perhaps from the age? I don't recall this in the younger bottles.

Age has definitely tempered this hop monster. Still plenty hoppy and bitter, but that bitterness quickly fades for a floral honey taste. Still some astringency nipping at the tongue. Definitely tasty, just not a Hop Slam.

Mouthfeel is medium to full; this is still a DIPA, even if it is 6 mnths old!

Even aged this is a damn drinkable brew. Maybe there should be a second category for rating this more mellow, but not too mellow, version of Hop Slam. Don't be afraid to cellar this one for some time; just expect that the hops will fade and a clover honey taste will start to present.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

BIG thanks for Schmoopsbeer for giving me this one as an extra!

A- Semi aggressive pour produces a 1 finger slightly off white head that rests atop a golden, slightly hazy, beer. Pretty good lacing.

S- orange, orange zest, grapefruit, slight floral aroma, Golden Graham cereal, slight honey smell. Very enticing

T- Nice grapefruit bitterness taste upfront is then greeted by some malt balancing it out. There is also some orange flesh, slight pine, and mellow sweetness that may be from the honey although I don't really taste honey necessarily. Slight alcohol taste. Bitterness is at a very nice level and lingers with a slight sweetness accompanying it that begs for another sip. Excellent DIPA

M- Goes down nice and slick. Good carbonation level

O- an excellent beer that I wish was available to me on a regular basis. Extremely drinkable for 10% abv.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours golden orange with a 1 cm off white head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma is brutally strong, piney and a little citrus. Initial flavor is balanced between the sweet malts and hugely bitter hops. Flavor of grapefruit is what i get the most of. Aftertaste is very dry from all the hops. Light to medium mouthfeel, almost no lacing, almost no carbonation, and the alcohol is well hidden. Very drinkable if you are a hophead, but for the rest of us its still worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to COBeerBuff for this gem. Poured from bottle into oversized snifter.

A: Golden orange amber copper color, slight reddish hue, very hazy, slight head that slowly fades.

N: Nose has some nice noble hops, some floral and grassy aromas, slight citrus, an interesting crystal malt and touch of honey finish off the light nose

T: Starts pretty sweet, some crystal malt but lots of honey, a grassy floral hops taste adds more character, a slight spicey and chewy hop, the sweetness and honey is very prevalent, a very slight alcohol as it hides it pretty well, it has a somewhat candy bar taste with the sweet honey, caramel malts, and floral chewy hops which build the more I drink

M: A little chewy and stick, pretty light otherwise, light carbonation, a little creamy

F: It gets pretty bitter but not huge. It starts sweet and honey taste but finishes pretty dry. The bitter hops fade pretty quickly leaving the candy bar taste as well as a biscuity malt taste and slight earthiness making it pretty drinkable, and nice fresh hop taste on the finish as well. It also seems to leave a metallic taste in the mouth

Final thoughts: This beer seems to be pretty highly acclaimed but I'm a little disappointed. Its a pretty big hop bomb with a slight malt base and lots of sweet honey. The candybar taste adds a nice touch but its a little too much honey and sweet taste for me, and the hops don't come through the way I would have expected.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

This is easily one of the highest rated and most raved about IPAs. This is the third year I have had Hopslam, and my reaction is always the same. Its good, but not great. Here is my review:

A: Pours a nice golden amber color. Pretty hazy. Head is rather minimal, but there is some nice, thick lacing present.

S/T: The aroma is very grapefruit dominant. Pretty sweet, and citric. Taste is very nice. Loads of grapefruit and pineapple upfront. Pretty sweet as well. Essentially a sweet grapefruit juice. The finish is bitter, sweet, bready, boozy, and has an almost musty earthyness. I wish there was more complexity in the hop flavoring, but whats wrong with a grapefruit hop bomb?

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Slightly syrupy. Very crisp and slightly dry. Bitter finish with quite a bit of alcohol burn and prickly sensation. Drinkability is good. Very balanced and tasty, but 10% ABV is nothing to take lightly. Only one or two a night, tops.

After recently having Founders Double Trouble, I think this has more in common with Three Floyds Dreadnaught. Comparing the two, Dreadnaught is vastly superior. It is much more complex and is akin to having a tropical fruit hop explosion in your mouth. This is a little too heavy on grapefruit, and the bready malts come through a little more than you might expect. Very good IPA, just not worthy of the hype, or price.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A= A hazy orange color, not entirely clear.

S= A wall of hops greeted my nostrils with a slight hint of citrus.

T= Sweet but invigorating hops. Packs quite a bite.

MF= Well carbonated which contributed to the bite of the beer.

D= My first ever bottles last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish the price point was better.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Ultra-hoppy "Double IPAs" such as this appear to be all the rage in the USA nowadays. To my surprise, I rather enjoy this fad. I tried this fine example on tap at my favorite pizza pub, paired with a spicy pizza. The bitterness set off the spiciness quite well.

Appearance was pale yellow, a bit cloudy, with a good, albeit not very long-lasting, head.

Smell was quite noticeable; not surprising in a double IPA. Lots of hops and yeast to enjoy.

Taste was an explosion of noble bitterness, as well as a hint of crystal malt and an unusual piney aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was just fine, with the concentrated hoppiness detracting just slightly from the enjoyable texture.

As for drinkability, this brew will never be confused with Rolling Rock. But given its 9.3% ABV, a slight markdown in this category is almost an act of professional responsibility. :)

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

cracking my first taste of hopslam (thanks klevelandrocks for the amazing extra!!!)

A - Poured a sparkly deep honey orange with a single finger head into my oversized snifter. Looked like a nice rich IPA. Steady and even bubbling from the bottom.

S - HopSLAM!!!! Really amazing smelling beer. Nicely balanced, soft pine...not as sticky as I had expected. Candy, banana, bubblegum...all blended with a citric undertone. Could smell it all day.

T - Wow...super bitter. Starts with hops...almost like sucking on a pine cone. Finishes with a vanilla alcohol. Hopefully I won't be hunted down and strung up from the nearest tree, but I find the flavor good, but not great. The hops are so over the top, my palette hurts. Took me a while to get used to the intensity.

M - Alcohol bite with a cooling bittery aftertaste.

D - I'll be honest...it's a bit over the top for me. The way that this beer is praised and put side-by-side with much better balanced beers really made me expect another sublimely balanced hoppy IPA. The smell is there, but the rest is just kind of like a SN Pale Ale on steroids (and I quite like SNPA as it is). I enjoyed this and will probably look around for it when it hits shelves again next year...but I'm fine with the few bottles I got as extras. Not necessarily something I'd go nuts for.

*** ** * ** ***
edit 2012-01-24 - first take on this years' bottle dated 12/29 (thanks Marti403 for hooking it up!)

a - poured a murkly cloudy deep amber orange with a finger of frothy ipa head into my urthel tulip. sticky streaky lacing. feel the same - 4.5

s - same amazing smell.

t - amazing what a year does to one's palette. i've definitely become more of a hophead. the flavors are the same, but the bitterness seems toned back (probably due to my palette developing to enjoy that more). this time, i'd give it a 4.5

m - 4

o - definitely more of an ipa fan this time around and this is a fantastic example of an amazing ipa. i don't think i would put this above pliny or even lunch, but it is a hell of a beer. - 4.5

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

So here it is, Hopslam. I was going to wait till next years release because I love hoppy beers, but I hate when they sit for a time and lose the hop aroma and flavor. I saw this at the bottle shop yesterday though and couldn't pass it up. No bottled date but this came out a little over a month ago. Served in a Weyerbacher tulip.

A- A bubbly orange marmelade brew pours into the tulip. Nice carbonation rising to meet a moon crater head. Some yellow and honey undertones in the color of this. As I fill the glass it becomes hazy and cloudy. Slight bits of spotty lacing are present.

S- The aroma seems to still be fairly present in a hoppy beer. Upfront is a great blend of citrus, sticky grapefruit, lemon, hop cones, and sweetness, most likely from the honey. Great smelling DIPA.

T- Taste follows the aroma somewhat, but I feel this has lost its hop kick. Taste is grapefruit in the beginning, then transitions into some flor hop flavors. A sweet honey pulls strongly as the flavors roll across the tongue, and the end is a blend of lemon and lime, and a tingey bitterness. Not as hop forward as 106 IBU's would suggest, but I think this lost freshness. Alcohol is almost non existent.

M- Mouthfeel is somewhat buttery. The aftertaste leaves a piney zesty feel on the tongue, along with the bitterness provided from the amount of hops. There is a slight amount of heat to hint at the abv.

D- Despite this having lost some of its hop freshness, or at least what I have concluded, this is still really drinkable. The abv is not tasted but felt a little in the mouth. I'd love to try this fresh and might re-review this next year. It's a drink now or forever your hops are weak if you wait too long with these beers. I'd like to chalk up a win for Nugget Nectar against this(even though not a DIPA) but I'll have to revisit this in the future when fresh.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

This is one appropriately named beer. Pours a hazy golden-orange and the nose is, well, hoppy. Lots of citrus right in your face. This is one you can smell across the room. In my book, that's a good thing.

The taste has a lot to live up to after that smell and, for the most part, it does. It's definitely typical of your citrus-y IPA with, if anything, a bit more fruity than I expected.

I split a sixer with a friend and they went quickly, but it's definitely a palate-cleanser. Not sure I could transition from this to something else, but hey, it's good enough that you don't need to.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a golden hue into the pint glass, the smell is amazing. It has a lovely citrus/grapefruit nose that permeates through the taste. There is a bitterness I didn't like up front that was a little piney, but this brief taste is followed a very nice citrus and some sweetness finishing with a subtle bitter that is nice.
In all I liked this beer, I would definitely get this one again. It is a pretty well balanced hop bomb.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Got a recommendation of this brew from another member

Pours a good color, but for most "big beer" IPA's not as nice as I expected, had a mediocre head regardless of a vigorous pour and dissapeared rather quickly

Smell was amazing. Amazing aroma of citrus fruits, lemon, a hint of orange peels, and a rush of hops to finish it off.

Taste was great as well. Definitely a great IPA, but from what I was expecting was not as I imagined

I was comparing this beer to Troegs Nugget Nectar, as that was what I was told this tasted closest to, but in all honesty it wasnt.

I could definitely drink this brew year round, but I would place 90 Minute IPA as well as Nugget Nectar above this beer.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks oakbluff for hooking me up with this beauty!

Pours a hazed golden, thin white head forms, settles to a ring around the glass, nice lacing. Smell is massive pine, tons of citrus, floral, every hop smell imaginable, they must use a boatload, grapefruit acidity, no malt in my nose, excellent. Taste is a grapefruit truck, almost puckering with hops, lots of citrus and pine, again almost no malt, slight graininess, not a lot of depth the the hops certainly slam you good. Balanced in the sense the IBU's match the malt, not overdone in that sense but hopped to hell and back. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, alcohol warmth. Not bad at all, thanks Scott!

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

this pours clear amber, leaving a bit of a fluffy white head. After a while, a ring remains and the foam sticks to the glass.

This smells VERY sweet - lemonade sweet. Citrus.

Taste is quite sweet and lemony, but also quite bitter like asprin. The alcohol is well hidden under this bitterness.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy.

Finish is slightly bitter.

Body is thick and rich. I love a good chewin' beer!

This is quite a beverage. Thick syrupy. good. It is unique in its ultra sweetness and bitterness at the same time. Highly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Sampled from a bottle with no freshness date. Bright orange-yellow in color with a slight haze. Poured with a thick white head with that reduces to islands of white foamy and thick sticky lacings on the glass. Huge cirus hop aroma, citris, orange, mango, and an underlying sweet aroma as well. Smooth, thick mouth feel. The fuller side of medium bodied which subdues the carbonation a bit. Intense citrus hop and sweet honey flavor. A bit alcohol burn toward the finish. Leaves a light lingering bitter aftertaste.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful hazed orange amber with a creamy head of off white foam that lasts and leaves rings of lace. Nose is resonant with hops sweetness. At first it's tangerine, then a bit of grapefruit, some pine. but then the floral overcomes anything you can name and these hops become pure perfumed lightness. The malt is a breaddy scent with a bit of earthy honey. Orange blossoms. No alcohol on the nose. Taste is very sweet. The honey is thick or so it seems and the malt is rich. It has a fruitiness form the tangerine and grapefruit but it's very dry and so it's earthier rather than juicier. The malt becomes like a soft sugar cookie on the nose and on the palate. It's almost chewy. There is a faint herbal that becomes stronger as you drink. I was waiting for a biting, bitter, tongue bruising like the label said but I found the bitter to be a bit more than moderate. As I am finishing the glass the juiciness is coming forward more and the scent is becoming a bit more tropical. The alcohol is only a hint on the very back end of the swallow and in the warmth as it finishes. Mouthfeel is creamy, sticky and full-ish. The aftertaste fades and all that remains is the bitter, the pine and the hop floral sweetness.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

The color is yellow and clear with a decent head and great lacing. Not incredible lookning but this beer makes up for that in other ways.

Smell is in your face hops. A lot of dank weed smells, but has a big enough malt backbone some stone fruits come out as well.

Tastes sweet and candy like. I thought it was going to be very bitter but it wasnt. A very good fruit flavor is pronounced. A nice blend of malt and hops. A nice hop biteer finish.

I would like to try this one fresh from the brewery one day to see if its any different.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to Jay23 for the chance to drink this Michigan beer all the way over here in California.
Poured into a snifter, this beer takes on a nice dark goldenrod color with a one-finger off-white head.

Wonderful scents of piney hops and succulent citrus emanate from the glass.

An interesting orangey hop flavor concomitant with some oily piney hops as well. Doughy malt provides stability and balance. Mouthwatering, delicious beer.

Medium body, appropriate carbonation. Very smooth.

The alcohol is entirely unapparent and a 12 oz bottle leaves me wanting more. Very deserving of its high rating.

Rerate: Oh how young I was when I wrote this! Upon a second tasting, it's obvious that this beer, while good, is too sweet and lacks the bitterness of a top-tier double IPA. Gotta dock points for that.

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- pours a clear bright copper color, half finger white head appears and slowly dissipates down to a ring, pretty nice lacing

S- wow this beer smells just like a DIPA should, a nice bouquet of hops and sweet honey, nice citrus, lemon and grapefruit, surprisingly im getting pineapple as well, sweet and citrusy

T- its called hopslam for a reason, you get a big kick in the mouth from the hops, the sweetness of the honey mixed in with the citrus is a nice middle buffer between the initial hops and the ending hops, at times i find the hops to be well balanced and at other times it seems a little overbearing, not sure whats up with that

M- medium body, silky smooth, slightly high carbonation, i wish it would coat my palate a bit more but it is solid nonetheless

D- i wasn't impressed with the first couple bottle that i had of this, however, on this review the flavors and smells were much better balanced than i remember, a nice one to sip especially at the price

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

appearence: poured a hazy orange w/ a 1 inch white frothy head. Head lasted throughout drink and left a good amount of lacing.

smell: robust scent of ruby red grapefruit, piney, slight hint of alcohol and a undertone of wet hay.

taste and mouthfeel. medium body, slighty syrupy w/ a hint of alcohol. First sip was quite bitter however as I continue drinking the flavor became sweet.

drinkability: I can drink a six w/ no problem.

Overall, Hopslam is a really nice clean brew. IMO, for a DIPA, I think it is missing it's hoppy punch. Outside of that, this brew is really good and tasty. As a matter a fact, Bell's makes some of the cleanness, crispiness and tasty brews around. Buy a six and enjoy.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.