Bell's Best Brown | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Best BrownBell's Best Brown

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Availability: Fall

A smooth, toasty brown ale with hints of caramel and cocoa, the malt body has the depth to stand up to cool weather, but does not come across as heavy. This balancing act is aided by the generous use of American hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-10-2002

Ratings: 3,007 |  Reviews: 888

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours an almost mahogany brown with a thin half finger tan head. A good looking brown ale.

Deep Carmel notes in the nose. Slight hints of cocoa and some spicy hops also pull through

Rich Carmel malt body, slightly sweet. minimal hop bitterness but some of the spice from the hops is present. hints of toffee on the back end.

Not a whole lot of oily stickiness from the hops but the deep Carmel malt body keeps it nice and rich. Carbonation is moderate which makes it slightly creamy.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

I sought out Bell's while in Michigan because they have a couple of very well-thought-of offerings on the BA top 250 list, and I had never seen anything they make in my local stores.

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a whiskey glass.  That was the only type of vessel available at the hotel.

a. Beautiful deep amber with a finger thickness of head which dissipated to a film, with some lacing on the sides.

s. distinctive, like fresh sea air.

t: Caramel notes on a light body.

m: Light and smooth with good carbonation

o: A nice brown ale with its own identity.  Definitely worth trying.  Maybe not the best brown ale to my taste but a very good one, more refreshing than most brown ales you might find. Unfortunately Bell's is not nearly as widely distributed as the products of their neighbors at Founders. I bought two bottles in Traverse City so I'll be looking forward to drinking the other one.

UPDATE 1/24/14: Had put away the second bottle in basement storage and forgot about it until recently when I reviewed storage to find brews I had saved for winter. Bottled 1/7/13, so it's now over a year old! Only things about my review I'd change are: the aroma was caramel malty, it had more body and a definite hop presence which mellowed out. Still think it's a c.4.0 brew. Outstanding, but not moreso than a number of NE brews in the same category which I can buy regularly. If I want more Bell's I'll have to go to Pa. or Western N.Y. and probably pay a premium. These I bought in Michigan last June in a mixed six for $1.69 each.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

Bell's Best Brown from Bell's Brewery, Inc.