Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bell's Oatmeal Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oatmeal StoutBell's Oatmeal Stout
4.08/5
Exceptional
Bell's Oatmeal StoutBell's Oatmeal Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by kbub6f on 12-11-2001

Pours a deep dark brown with a nice tan head. Chocolate/espresso aromas. Tastes just like it smells, deep coffee and chocolate flavors.

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

12 oz brown bottle, capped, no date.

This oatmeal stout is quite possibly the best oatmeal stout I have ever had, and is among the best stouts I have sampled.

This stout poured black as night with tall, frothy, light brown foam that left large patchy lace on the glass. The smell was most wonderous, and I just inhaled deeply while pouring and while drinking. There were aromas of sweet oatmeal and malt and caramel and a faint hint of hops. The smell lasted to the bottom of the glass. The taste was very rich and complex. I tasted dark malt, coffee, bitter chocolate, caramel, oatmeal, and hints of floral hops and fruit. The mouthfeel was full bodied, smooth, and creamy. There was a nice, complex, lingering aftertaste combined with an oatmeal dryness. The carbonation was moderate. This was a most excellent stout! I think I could drink this all night. Wow.

Thanks to feloniousmonk for this bottle of Bell's Oatmeal Stout!

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Of Kalamazoo's November stouts, only Rye, Cherry, and Java have actual label designs, with all the others wrapped in generic black and white. Guys, would a smiling, dancing bag of oats be all that hard to do?

Solid black, with an enormous, towering tan head. Roasty aromas stand triumphant, with hints of spices, anise, cloves, espresso...no, more like immersing your entire face into a steaming pile of coffee grounds. Earthy, but soft on the palate, with an initial rush of gritty texture. Long and satisfying finish, dry, full, substantial. Medium/full-bodied, and,mmmmm..excuse me,...mmmmm, oh,yeah! The flavor keeps on giving and giving!

This might go down as my favorite American oatmeal stout! If we can get KBC to brew it year-round, I'll get to work on Oaty the Happy Oatmeal Boy, and then we'll be in business!

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

1st of all I cannot believe that I found this. poured black, with a dark tan head. aroma , has soon as I opened this I could smell the chocolate and malts, oncce in the glass, the chocolate became the bittersweet kind, roasted malts, molasses, coffee, brown sugar, raisins and got a hint of plums. flavor was not disappointed at, got dark sweet chocolate, malts, cherries, espresso. the mouth feel was nice and smooth, not too thick and not too thin. one of the better oatmeal stouts I have had this aged very well

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

Frothy tan head that clings to the glass as you drink. Chocolate aroma. Black appearance with yeast sediment noticeable. Great bittersweet chocolate taste. Smooth silky mouthfeel. Many subtle flavors in the background: cocoa, toffee, fruit, coffee. These nicely layered complexities become apparant as you work your way through the beer. One of my favorite Oatmeal Stouts. Another great stout from Kalamazoo.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

-Excellent beer...bit of a smoked taste...dark chocolate character..rich and tasty..some hop balance evident..Can't do much better than this..

Update: I changed my ratings slightly after trying Sam Smith Oatmeal and realizing this one wasn't as good. I did this rating under the old scoring system and feel my updated rating which brings it down slightly from a 5.0 is fair...this isn't a 5.0...very good and near the top of Oatmeals but not a 5.0

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a pitch black in color, that leaves a nice tan two finger head at the top, the lacing is present through the whole time.

S: Good nose on this one, oatmeal is present but more of coffee notes and roasty malts. This brew has a great nose to it, phenomenal.

T: Just like the nose, lots of coffee and roasted notes and the hops kick in on the tail end. Oatmeal is present, with nice touch of brown sugar.

M: Not as thick as I though it would be, but great anyway. Medium Bodied and slickness to it.

O: A great brew from Bell's once again, I was lucky enough to have this on tap when I visited bells on 4/6/13, I enjoyed it very much and would love to have more.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I want to first thank jeffboo for this brew in a trade.

This brew pours a jet black with a monster head that last for a while the widdling down to a minimal head that is very nice looking. When the head reduces to a minimal head it leaves the best lace trickling down the side of the glass. A wonderful smell of oats and roasted malts hit the nose like a punch from Mike Tyson. A strong toffee smell is also present, it sort of reminds me of the old Sugar Daddy sucker I had when I was a kid. Oh my the oats are strong on the palate also, this is great, I am so into stouts right now. The robust malts are very flavorful and the coffee malt is also very complimentary. This is a great beer and I only hope to continue a good relationship with jeffboo so I can get more of this stuff.

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Dark, nearly opaque black with a nice ring of tannish brown foam. Foam lasts and leaves nice lacing as well. Impressive for a vintage bottle like this one. Aromas are all oaty dark malts, and caramel, coffee, chocolate, etc. This is a damn fine oatmeal stout with a real grainy oatmeal flavor up front that is accentuated with the coffee, chocolate, caramel mix that comes into the flavor profile later down the road. Finish is great, and aftertaste is long and lasting. Mouthfeel is medium-thick and drinkability is very fine as well. Another great stout from bells, why don't they freakin' make this one anymore!?

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Bell's Oatmeal Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.