Bell's Oatmeal Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oatmeal StoutBell's Oatmeal Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by kbub6f on 12-11-2001

4.1

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 64 | Ratings: 165

Pours black with scant hints of ruby at the outer edges. Compact tan head that is more foamy than bubbly. Roasted grains dominate the smell with some lighter notes that suggest a whiff of hops bitterness. That pairing of flavors shows up in the taste too, though the bitterness is more prominent on the tongue than in the nose and lingers considerably. I have trouble finding the oatmeal except perhaps as part of the softer afternotes. Mouthfeel is reasonably clean in this medium-bodied stout. Characteristic of most Kzoo beers, this one is quite drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

This says retired above, but it was on tap at Bell's a few days ago (7/22) when I went to their Eccentric Cafe in Kalamazoo. Now 7.3% ABV, though.

Pretty much black in color. Looks serious, but little head or lacing.

Smells like chocolate and faint bits of a more metallic, alcohol aroma.

Taste is deceivingly light at the palate at first and then there's a great blast of chocolate, coffee and the usual roasted malt flavors. Silky smooth and doesn't taste bitter, or burnt or metallic.

Mouthfeel is medium and not as creamy as I might have expected for a stronger stout, but easy to put down.

This was a great stout. Glad it was on tap at Bell's when I was in town.

3.54/5  rDev -13.7%

(sampled at Dak’s Memorial Day tasting. Growler courtesy of Mike via Justin. Thanks guys!). Pours dark brown with tan head. Aroma had oatmeal, chocolate and caramel. Taste was sweet malt and roasty bitterness. Thin bodied with a slick texture. Smooth finish. A decent, easy drinking beer.

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

2003 cask consumed 12-03-04 at the BW-3's in downtown Indianapolis.

To my surprise this pulled with a nice firm 2-3 finger tan head atop the midnight black body. Aroma was a little more subdued than I was prepared for, but straining I get notes of coffee and chocolate. First taste was also a little bit of shock, there was a lot more coffee like bitterness than I was prepared for. A little bit of caramel was also mixed in with the immense roasty nature of this brew. Decent beer

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of the best beers I've ever had. I had no idea they discontinued this sweet, sweet beverage. Life is a little sadder knowing that Bell's Oatmeal Stout is no longer being made.

This beer held the glass like molasses. Dark brown, almost black, and very inviting.

The taste was that of an oatmeal raisin cookie dipped in sweet, smokey coffee. If that doesn't sound like heaven to you, you're living in beer hell. You could definitely taste the alcohol in this one, but it wasn't a problem at all.

It was slightly bitter and stiff, making it harder to drink than most beers, but I enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I want to first thank jeffboo for this brew in a trade.

This brew pours a jet black with a monster head that last for a while the widdling down to a minimal head that is very nice looking. When the head reduces to a minimal head it leaves the best lace trickling down the side of the glass. A wonderful smell of oats and roasted malts hit the nose like a punch from Mike Tyson. A strong toffee smell is also present, it sort of reminds me of the old Sugar Daddy sucker I had when I was a kid. Oh my the oats are strong on the palate also, this is great, I am so into stouts right now. The robust malts are very flavorful and the coffee malt is also very complimentary. This is a great beer and I only hope to continue a good relationship with jeffboo so I can get more of this stuff.

Cheers

4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bell's rocks, and so does this beer that seems kind of intimidating to those who don't typically drink stouts. It's timid yet full of flavor. I'd drink it again and again.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Black opaque. More sweetness than bitterness. It seems a pretty solid oatmeal stout offering from Bell's. I think you will get pretty much what you expect from this beer. I don't see much reason to single it out amongst other oatmeal stouts altough a tasting with several oatmeal stouts would be a good test. I'm surprised Bell's only offers an oatmeal stout during a limited run. It seems like a natural for brewery that specializes in stouts.

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

Woke up,got out of bed.Dragged a comb through my head.I went downstairs and poured a bottle.Hmm Oats? Black as night elixer?Brown frothy top! Now my eyes are open, This is my breakfast. Huge aroma of oats and roasted malt,maybe even a hint of chocolate in there.Great roasty flavor with a silky,oily body. There might even be a finish of toasted malt in the backround.Beer can be
a way to kick off the day when it tastes like this.I looked at the clock and noticed I was late. Oh well, I have this beer to blame.
I can turn you on...............

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a deep opaque brownish black hue. With a decent tan head. Roasted malt flavors similiar to other bell's stouts, and bell's porter. Very drinkable flavorful stout, strong roasted malt with coffee/caramel/toffee tones. I would recommend this to anybody who enjoys stouts or porters. A very good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Acquired via trade. This is first Bell's I've ever sampled and it is quite a tasty brew. I had heard that Bell's knows their stouts....and boy, do they ever! It pours an opaque, dark brown with a light tan dense head that retains pretty well. The smell is of chocolate with a strong graham cracker aroma (the oatmeal, I suppose).....very malty overall. Taste: the entry is sweet, but not cloying... chocolately, like malted milk balls. Around mid-palate a wave of espresso-like roasted barley flavor floods your taste buds and holds on through the finish. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Roast flavors are more overt than I expected of an oatmeal stout. Nonetheless, this is a stellar beer.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours very dark, looks a little slick from the way it moves in the glass. Dirty brown head floatin on top.

Smells nice and buttery. Some nice roast goin on in there. Little espresso.

Fairly straight forward on the taste. Butter, coffee, chocolate. The flavors all roll into each other. Very nice.

This isn't slick like I thought it would be, but pretty chewy and smooth.

Very very drinkable. Low abv lets you session this until you explode.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Draft at Bells. Pours black with tan head. Lots of chocolate and dark fruit in the nose. Taste is earthy oatmeal, sweet/roasted malt, chocolate. Nice sweetness but not overly so for a "Sweet Stout". If you told me this was an Imp Stout I would have believed you. Heavy body, rich and warming.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

I really like this brew! Nice tan head, exceptional mouth feel, long bitter after taste. Slight coffee, chocolate aftertaste. Very, very good!

Puts a dent in the wallet but I will drink again!!! Let me enjoy! Usually, I am more "wordy" but I am getting buzzed!

Enjoy! I am!!!!!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Bell's Oatmeal Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.