Bell's Rye Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Rye StoutBell's Rye Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Added by kbub6f on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 317 | Ratings: 421
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Another dark ale from Bell's...yippie!

Okay, with that out of the way: poured into a pint glass, deep, dark brown to black with thick brown head. And by thick, I mean it's not just tall (it's several inches) it's thick and gooey. Nice retention, good lacing.

Smoked grain, alcohol. Very "stout" in the nose. Nice.

More toasted grain flavor up front, moving into a smooth, malty finish. Some hop bitterness throughout, but it's subtle.

Slightly thick but smooth. Good drinking stout. It hits hard and instantly warms the throat and belly. Perfect drinking beer for a cold fall evening; probably wouldn't work during the summer.

Bell's = dark ale goodness. Another winner. Worth getting a few.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

poured into a snifter,pitch black with a tan head that didnt stick around too long.

nose is mostly roasted coffee,bit of chocolate as well.taste has alot of roasted malt/coffee flavor,dark chocolate,with alot of rye flavor in the finish.finishes somewhat dry and pretty clean.

mouthfeel on this beer is impeccably smooth,the rye gives this beer such a great body.feels like an imperial stout quite honestly.

drinkability is high with lowish abv, great flavor, and mouthfeel.really an excellent beer.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%

Just picked this new (to me) offering from Bell's along with a 6er of Java Stout. I love stout season!

A: Pours black and appears to have somewhat of a thin body. A slight head forms which is bone white, but quickly fades to nothing. Leaves a nice lacing around the glass as it goes down.

S: A predominant rye character comes through on the nose along with bold roasted notes. The roasted malt back bone has a hint of smoke along with coffee.

T: Like the nose, the rye is very predominant. This is my first rye stout and I am impressed with the way that typical stout flavors marry with the rye. The flavor of rye transforms into roasted barley and a hint of coffee and smoke. Very complex on the tongue, leaves a lasting impression on the aftertaste.

M: medium body with a velvety mouthfeel. The carbonation is subdued, but it works well with this beer.

D: This is a wonderful and highly drinkable stout. It has all of the roasted flavors I look for in a stout and the rye really works well here. I will have to drink this stuff up while it's around. This beer has definitely piqued my interest in rye stouts. Perhaps I will try to brew one of my own!

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark black that doesn't appear to be too viscous. A pretty decent-sized medium brown head. Plenty of rye and roasted malt in the nose. Flavor is similar along with a little bit of coffee. Medium to full body with good carbonation. Drinkability is pretty high. Good take on the rye beer category; one of the more unique ones I've had within the style.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Have to thank Grumpy for sending me this one off of my wants list. Poured a deep reddish brown with a thin white head. Chocolate and lightly roasted malts in the nose with a touch of rye. Taste was nice and simple. Chocolate, roasted malts and some rye all perfectly balanced, each flavor complimenting the next. Although the head wasn't too impressive the carbonation was present in the mouthfeel, which added nicely to the beer. Very smooth and super drinkable, medium to full body, this beer doesn't try to overwhelm you with flavors, it just uses each flavor extremely well. I really enjoyed this beer, I had high hopes and it did not disappoint. Hope to get more soon.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

I found this to be quite good. The head was nice and dense, leaving nice lace behind. The color, when the glass was tipped, was as expected: a deep orange-red fading into the darkest brown. The aroma was a nice combination of rye malt and dark malts, though I didn't detect the roastiness I usually associate with stouts. I wanted the flavor to have a touch more rye character, which I could detect but thought was overshadowed by the dark malts (mostly chocolate malt?), but not drowned out. Overall very good.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity... "The Batch ID that you entered '7235', is a Bell's Rye Stout. Your Bell's Rye Stout was packaged on February 9, 2006."

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" brown head over the cloudy, barely translucent dark brown brew. Head holds on well, with average to good lacing. Aroma is hearty dark grains, almost some smoke in there, very nice. Taste is sweet dark malts as well, reminds me of a milk stout, which is always cool. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both very good, smoothness and coffee bitterness keeping the sweetness in check well. Wouldn't mind seeing more of these Bell's Stouts out this way, for sure.

4.26/5  rDev +9.8%

This bottle was purchased at the party source for $1.90. The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a dead black. There is no opaqueness to light. The head is nearly three fingers high with a creamed coffee coloration. The head seemed to last forever. The lacing was like pancake batter on the side of my glass.

Smell: The beer has a lightly roasted grainy smell. The beer has a medium roasted cafe mocha smell.

Taste: The beer has a very pleasing cafe mocha base. The beer has supporting vanilla and chared grainy taste. The beer has a bit of cloves coming along with hop bitterness. The beer taste nice but I cannot find the rye.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The beer has a clinging oilyness that helps the flavor linger. This is a very good beer treat. I just have one question where is the rye?

4.26/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Staunton Baja Bean into a shaker pint.

A: Black body with clear brown highlights and a half-inch of tight, soft tan head. Good retention of what little's there, with sticky lacing. Quite nice - excellent pour for a bar.

S: It's hard to get much, what with the shaker pint and the smokiness of the bar; I do detect some sweet chocolate, some rye spice, and light hops. Pretty solid.

T: Opens with a rich blast of sweet malt that carries through into a more complex rye and chocolate middle, and ends with a delicious kiss of citrus hops and a roasty coffee aftertaste. Excellent.

M: Substantial body with the carbonation to match. Very rich and smooth.

D: No idea what the ABV is, but I'm loving the blend of rich flavor, bitterness, and the lack of noticeable booze. I think I'll get another.

Notes: This beer was tasty enough to make me ignore the bar's impressive bottle list and get a second pint. Very tasty, easy-drinking stout. Surprised to see how low this is rated on here.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a black/brown with the ruby hue round the bottom, with a thickish one inch head dissapating to a thin foam, lacing that hangs around for a bit, falling in bubbles down the glass. Aroma is of roasted malts, a darkish chocolate and a faint bready something that just must be rye I suppose. A rather nice mouth, smooth and warm and dry. Tastes of a rich, almost subdued roasted malt with chocolate tones, and where the nose was faintly bready the taste is fainly wood-like. Most perplexing, yet highly enjoyable, I'm going to have to go pick this up for another go-round.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Deep and opaque... with a thin tan head and clinging lace. Aroma of rye, chocolate, and coffee with a touch of sweetness. Assertive aroma that I really enjoy. Flavor begins slightly acidic... some burnt malt, then rye... finishes with a bitterness and sweetness that reminds me of cappuccino. Medium full body with a smooth creamy mouthfeel. This is a finely created brew from the masters of stouts. It's brews like this that make me happy to drink local!

From notes, 3-30-11

Was surprised to see this on tap at an Oberon release event, I didn't even know this beer existed.

A - opaque black body, small tan head. Simple, but strong. Good look

S - coffee, hint of rye spice, some fruity hops. Interesting

T - coffee, earthy notes, rye spice, dark fruit. Nicely complex beer, and it is even a bit hot.

M - really nice body, very smooth and full. Robust and a touch dry.

O (D) - A very solid, fairly interesting stout. A good drink.

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%

this might have been the tastiest beer i sampled at Bell's (i guess my review will be an empirical test)

the aroma is deliciously roasty, and perhaps featuring coffee? chicory

deeply roasted without kilning astringency. it's a sweet beverage--almost desserty--complex, rich, yet manages not to be cloyingly sweet. i frickin love rye and this one delivers: that prickle, that sour spice...mmm. oh yeah, slight chocolate thing going on. balanced bitterness

i'm not sure if they followed my advice after my last review (bottle) or if it's just that much better out of the tap or if my palate changed...i enjoyed this much more than i have before (and i tasted it from a tap at a bar in chi recently and i think my thoughts then were what my past review in 6/07 reflected)

4.23/5  rDev +9%

I poured this beer into a glass and commenced with the best 45 minutes of my already-great day. To be fair, I had gone the entire week without a beer (to save a bit of money and to make sure I could...I almost couldn't), so even Miller Lite (my most detested brew) might have been appreciated (okay, maybe not).

A - I love a good dark color to my beer. Rye Stout poured dark and got darker. I tried to hold it to the light to see even some reflection and saw none other than from the glass itself. Nearly 100% opaque (until, of course, the beer is almost gone). Pure black would be too far due to the brown tints, but I don't want to suggest that brown was the prominent color.

S - I expected a strong rye smell, but instead was hit with hot cocoa, except instead of milk chocolate the style was dark chocolate. Very dark chocolate.

T - I've never had a rye beer before, and I don't care for rye bread very much. So I didn't know what to expect, but I did expect something different. The flavor was mostly dark chocolate, a bit of some sweet notes and malt, and some coffee tones. I noticed a very subtle spiciness to the finish of the beer that reinforced my assessment of the beer as one wholly appropriate for a winter evening.

M - Smooth, a bit creamy, consistent.

D - Very good. I had to fight the urge to drink this beer quicker than I did (which is often true anyway), but savoring it was well worth the effort.

4.23/5  rDev +9%

Label features a pencil sketch of a sullen old women, casting her eyes downward, perhaps grimly reflecting on a miserable life, soon to end, or sadly summarising the pathetic events she has yet to endure. Haven't these guys learned anything about marketing from the Swedish Bikini Tean????
Perfect ebon color, large fizzy brown head. Aroma is richly roasted and spicy, with hints of graininess. Heavy mouthfeel, but smooth on the palate. Sits sturdily in the mouth, leaving a nice, pleasant finish, and an abiding sweetness, with hints of cherry, coming through in the middle. A very satisfactory stout, and an accomplished experiment from Kalamazoo.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Flying Saucer Charlotte. Deep brown pour, not really all that thick in appearance. Some nice off white head. Aroma of roast malt, light chocolate and roast nut. Definetely has that rye mouthfeel, add nice body to it. Being on tap attenuates the carbonation I could see this having in bottle form. Not very aggressive with the roast, some oat, rye and bakers chocolate with a good dose of peaty nut. I liked, a good change of pace stout. Somewhere between a stout, porter and nut brown. Interesting and very drinkable. Would recommend anyone to give it a try.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle of batch 7235, poured into a nonic pint glass

A—pours solid black with a thin wispy tan head, fades away immediately, laces like swiss cheese down the sides as I drink

S—chocolate is the strongest, hints of rye and bread, faint alcohol smell, too

T—excellent! Not as bitter as other stouts that I have had, chocolate and rye blend together nicely. This is one tasty stout!

M—rich and creamy, full bodied, mild carbonation

D—wonderful! I only bought one, but wish I had bought a six pack. I will have this again for sure.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours an opaque deep brown body with a faint light shining through in the very base of the glass. A coco colored creamy head fades a bit and no sign of carbonation in the deep abyss.

S- This beer has a slight tart dark chocolate note with some alder smoke hint is very well balanced.

T- The very light tart but earthy chocolate malt note has some black malt flavors but no black roasted grain qualities. There is a light spicy finish that is a bit salty. The finish is spicy but not really hoppy. As the beer warms there is a slight note of dark roasted rye also.

M- The medium-full mouthfeel has a slippery finish but the beginning of the beer has a velvety feel.

D- This beer is very interesting and it has more layers to its complexity with every sip.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a very dark brown with some red hints at the edges of the glass. Small brown head that fell quickly. Slight lacing.

Chocolate smell. Can smell the rye too.

Sweet taste with some hints of chocolate.

Great mouthfeel with the tongue being covered with flavor! Some bitterness towards the back of the mouth. Thick beer.

I could easily have this as a session beer.

In the past I would buy a case of this beer at a time. So good. I'm sorry that this is my last one for a while.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

pours a dark black cherry color with a quick dissipating head it does have some clinging sticky lacing..the smell was toffee and fig some caramel and rye..the taste was rye and spice with chocolate and some roasted coffee this is one good stout that may be overlooked..i like the addition of rye to this style..its sweet and robust a well balanced stout that is highly drinkable from a brewery that puts out lots of stouts..another fine one from bells

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Really glad to have the chance to try this rye stout at the Indy Beer Sellar's Bell's tasting last night. Really good take on a rye stout.

Appearance: Pours a dark chocolate brown, almost black, with a skim of toasted cream lacing. Looks flat and watery as there are no bubbles breaking the surface.

Smell: Smoky, woody, chewy malts, charred toast, burned coffee, bark, crunchy rye.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is full of dry and cracked rye, some chewy malt and a lightly vaporous alcohol presence that's more smooth than stringent. Slight caramelly sweetness complements a bright lemony citrus hop. There's a slightly smoky presence that reminds me of charcoal or tobacco. Feel is full and moderately carbonated, leaving a slightly drying effect in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Pretty high - I'm really impressed by the balance of so many distinct flavors and the smoothness of the feel.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Formed a single finger light tan head that dissipated quickly...minimal lacing present. The body is a rich deep brown with mahogany edges.

Smokey and earthy on the nose. Roasted malts/grains also present.

Burnt grains and malts come through on the tongue first. A little coffee like in the middle and finishes with a very slight hop touch.

The mouth feel is medium and creamy with very little carbonation.

This is a very drinkable stout...a little on the light side, but that makes it easy to throw a few back!

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours to a deep, dark brown...almost black with a light brown head that diminishes to a thick ring. Leaves a nice amount of lacing when sipped down.

The aroma is of mixed grains. I get oats and grains and what must be rye. I haven't had to many beers with rye, but I'm guessing that is what I smell. I get toasted malt and chocolate smell too.

The flavor is a bit tangy, with what must be the rye again. It has a slight chocolate taste too, along with some roasted grains. It has just a slight sourness typical of the Bell's yeast, or it just might be the tanginess of the rye.

It is pretty light in body and creamy smooth in texture. Damn this one goes down easy. I really like this. I'd love to have this on tap.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a dark pitch black that's completely opaque with only the faintest of dark mahogany edges and a one finger frothy beige head with decent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting ring. Slight spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet caramel malt aroma with hints of toffee and sweet rye. Slight roasted notes with some dark fruit notes and subtle burnt toast.

Slightly viscous medium body with a nice balance of roasted malt and sweet caramel and rye malt notes. Hints of toffee, roasted coffee bean and hazelnut with a nice hoppy dry finish. Very nicely balanced with subtle alcohol heat. Very drinkable with lots of silky chocolate malt and sweet ruye notes balancing out the roasted notes and alcohol heat.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Filled about 2.5 hours ago. Pours a deep brown color with ruby highlights at the bottom of the glass. A 2 finger light tan head falls to a quarter inch over top of the beer. Its pretty dark, but clarity is still easy to see. A nice clear brew. Nose is definately rye spicey. This is balanced by a very deep roast, but not overpoweringly strong. There are lighter chocolate notes playing behind the sharper and stronger rye and roast. Flavor is nice. The spicey rye hits initially and stays with through the duration of the taste. This melds very well with a more subtle roasted character, with a sweet caramel and very light chocolate undertone. I think the flavors in this one really work well togther. Nothing is too strong, and I think the balance is done well. The feel is thick, with a light carbonation, giving it a very chewy feel to it. This also works very well with the other characteristics of the brew. I think this beer is very well built. Even though it is a substantial beer, it doesn't sit overly heavy, and nothing keeps me from wanting to put this one away with ease. I dig it. I'd like it to have been a shade darker, but that may just be me.

Bell's Rye Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.