Bell's Java Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout
Liked This Beer
3.94 w/ 3,250 ratings
Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Java Stout uses a custom blend of coffee beans, roasted locally for us by Water Street Coffee Joint, to generate its intense flavor. Possessing an unmistakable aromatic punch, Java Stout has long been one of our most popular stouts.

Added by kbub6f on 12-11-2001

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,250 |  Reviews: 1,152

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle. 11/16/11.

Appearance: Black with reddish highlights around the edges of my tulip. Medium brown colored head with average retention at best. Some spots of lacing. 4.0

Smell: Rich smelling stout with great coffee notes. Roasty but with a chocolatey sweetness, like a mocha. 4.5

Taste: Lots of good coffee flavors and roasted bitterness, but it tastes slightly thin, without the full maltiness the smell suggested. Still a good tasting stout, but a let down after the smell. 4.0

Mouthfeel: Really thins out as it goes down. The bitterness is drying on the end and accentuates the thin feeling. 3.5

Overall: A solid coffee stout. It has its problems, but its solid. 4.0

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet coffee and a nice roast. In the taste, dry coffee and nice bitterness. A coffee bitterness and a medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel with a dry coffee like aftertaste. Nice coffee presence, a bit sweeter in the nose, but very nice.

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a snifter

A: Dark, as one would expect from a coffer stout. Very little head, maybe a half a centimeter. The most impresessive part of the appearance to me was the head. It took on a very copper like hue which I found attractive.

S: Smelled like a standard coffee stout for the most part. The smell was a little faint, but plenty noticable. Although it was faint, it was quite pleasant and sweet.

T: Fantastic. Very roasty and sweet. The taste of the coffee absolutely shines. The contrasting bitter and sweet tastes of coffee are balanced perfectly, leaning more heavily towards the sweet taste of coffee with cream. There is a slight presence of hops but very perfunctory, a tiny bit of bitter hop taste can be made out. At 7.5% the alcohol is not evident whatsoever.

M: This was my favorite part of this beer. It was very creamy and smooth, perfect really, very pleasant. Even though this beer has a decent amount of viscosity to it is very easy drinking and I could definitely drink 5 or 6 of these in a night. In addition to that, it has the perfect amount of carbonation for this style of beer, at least in my opinion.

O: This is a fantastic brew, one of my go to beers in the winter. This coming sunday I will literally go to church and pray to the lord to convince Bell's brewery to make this a year round beer. It is fantastic.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Black, with a nice finger of dark tan head. The head bubbles about for a bit before becoming a nice collar. A bit of lacing.

S) Nice coffee roast, like a fresh grind. There's a splash of cream and some light chocolate. Touch of hops.

T) Dark malt and just a little hops. There are good coffee flavors, with some mocha too. The 7.5% ABV is nowhere to be found.

M) Full bodied and lightly carbonated. Smooth and creamy, right for the style. Finish and aftertaste are a nice light roast.

O) Damn solid stout. I've really come to love this style. This is a notch below FBS for me, but overall quite good.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Batch 10152. Bottled 1/6/11. Drank 1/31/12 (I LOVE the fact that you can look up Batch Numbers on Bell's Website). Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium tulip. Appearance is jet black with a thin, tan-colored head. Faint nose of coffee and baker's chocolate.

I had this beer several times when it was relatively fresh and I always thought it was far too bitter and that the brewer did not compensate for the natural bitterness of the coffee by adjusting the maltbill. I held this particular bottle back for several months and the time took some of the harsher coffee flavors out and mellowed it out a bit. Flavors are smoother now and the overly bitter, ``cold coffee'' flavors at the finish are toned down somewhat, but the mouthfeel now seems a bit thin. The flavor suits my palate better, but I still don't think it stands up to the better coffee stouts out there (most of the ones I favor are far maltier than this).

I think I'm finally finished with this beer. I've tried it several times, at different temperatures and after different meals. Now I've let one sit for a while. I have given it every opportunity (since I respect Bell's Brewery so very much) and I am convinced that I just don't think it stands up to some of the other coffee stouts I've had. It's good, but I can't quite put it on my top shelf.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass.

pours a deep mahogany tone while yielding a foamy / frothy 1" tan head. middling retention and lacing.

no shocker, the nose is headlined by a strong roasted coffee presence. which is enticing, even if a bit one-dimensional in that regard.

flavor follows the nose with coffee notes in spades. there are some secondary notes of roasted malt and, to a lesser degree, chocolate. very muted though, clearly the coffee is front and center with this beer. medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, a very enjoyable stout - more so, obviously, if you love coffee. not the best i've had but i would certainly not be averse to more.

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

A- The beer poured an inky black, with very thin tan head. This head persisted throughout the duration of the glass.

S- Smells like fresh brewed coffee. Simple as that.

T- Same as smell. All I get out of this beer is black coffee. I enjoyed it more as it warmed, probably because cold coffee is a bit off-putting for me.

M- Very thin and watery. I would have liked a much creamier feel from this beer. In my opinion, the weak point of this brew.

O- Not a big fan of this one. The taste was very one-dimensional, and the thin mouthfeel is something I cannot put aside.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 79.8% out of 100 with 3,250 ratings