Bell's Java Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout
3.94/5
Very Good
Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Java Stout uses a custom blend of coffee beans, roasted locally for us by Water Street Coffee Joint, to generate its intense flavor. Possessing an unmistakable aromatic punch, Java Stout has long been one of our most popular stouts.

Added by kbub6f on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 3,260 |  Reviews: 1,152
3.09/5  rDev -21.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Bell's pint glass, dated 11/16/11
A: Pitch black, with a one-finger tan head.
S: Smells like burnt/overly bitter coffee. Aromatic but not in a pleasant way.
T: Tastes like day old coffee. A hint of toasted grains and molasses.
M: Thin and uninteresting.
O: I generally love Bell's beers, but this is probably my least favorite I've tried. Unbalanced, thin, and not particularly pleasant. Maybe just an off-batch?

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Pours a deep brown color with a a minimal tan lacing around the top edge of the beer.

S: The smell of coffee is immediately present and practically overwhelming. The other scents I could pick up are a light amount of chocolate and a somewhat creamy aroma.

T: Again, coffee is present and predominant with minor notes of chocolate and a slight creamy maltiness. A smooth, almost bourbon like character is present on the finish.

M: Low amount of carbonation for a medium bodied brew, works well together, very smooth, almost creamy like.

O: Overall, fantastic. This is an excellent example of a coffee stout. I wish that I had regular access to it, definitely a buy again if I could.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A - dark brown almost black, watery pour, half inch of dark tan head which quickly disappeared

S - very toasted, coffee, vinegarish hint (smells like buffalo wing sauce a little bit)

T - nice bit of chocolate roasted coffee taste, lots of roasted grains, this is delicious

M - slightly creamy, perfectly carbonated, very smooth

O - i was a bit thrown off by the smell honestly, but then tasted it and i now know why i really like bell's brewery. their stouts. they got this down to a T.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Review adapted from notes taken 9/7/11

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - nice tan head, fades quickly, pretty average lacing

Smell: Freshly roasted coffee beans - truly a lovely aroma - roasted malts, burnt malts, some sweetness, but very dry

Taste: Dry, roasted, and burnt - not really charred - some serious coffee flavor, but some nice malts, too - slightly sweet - coffee really dominates the flavor, but there is also some chocolate and vanilla - a little acidic, probably from the coffee

Mouthfeel: Medium, very smooth, nice carbonation

Overall: I am jealous of people that can get Bell's

Much like Two Hearted, this is something I want on a frequent basis. Alas, such a desire is only a dream. This is not a mind-blowing coffee beer, but it's tasty and well-rounded.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle. 11/16/11.

Appearance: Black with reddish highlights around the edges of my tulip. Medium brown colored head with average retention at best. Some spots of lacing. 4.0

Smell: Rich smelling stout with great coffee notes. Roasty but with a chocolatey sweetness, like a mocha. 4.5

Taste: Lots of good coffee flavors and roasted bitterness, but it tastes slightly thin, without the full maltiness the smell suggested. Still a good tasting stout, but a let down after the smell. 4.0

Mouthfeel: Really thins out as it goes down. The bitterness is drying on the end and accentuates the thin feeling. 3.5

Overall: A solid coffee stout. It has its problems, but its solid. 4.0

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet coffee and a nice roast. In the taste, dry coffee and nice bitterness. A coffee bitterness and a medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel with a dry coffee like aftertaste. Nice coffee presence, a bit sweeter in the nose, but very nice.

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a snifter

A: Dark, as one would expect from a coffer stout. Very little head, maybe a half a centimeter. The most impresessive part of the appearance to me was the head. It took on a very copper like hue which I found attractive.

S: Smelled like a standard coffee stout for the most part. The smell was a little faint, but plenty noticable. Although it was faint, it was quite pleasant and sweet.

T: Fantastic. Very roasty and sweet. The taste of the coffee absolutely shines. The contrasting bitter and sweet tastes of coffee are balanced perfectly, leaning more heavily towards the sweet taste of coffee with cream. There is a slight presence of hops but very perfunctory, a tiny bit of bitter hop taste can be made out. At 7.5% the alcohol is not evident whatsoever.

M: This was my favorite part of this beer. It was very creamy and smooth, perfect really, very pleasant. Even though this beer has a decent amount of viscosity to it is very easy drinking and I could definitely drink 5 or 6 of these in a night. In addition to that, it has the perfect amount of carbonation for this style of beer, at least in my opinion.

O: This is a fantastic brew, one of my go to beers in the winter. This coming sunday I will literally go to church and pray to the lord to convince Bell's brewery to make this a year round beer. It is fantastic.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Black, with a nice finger of dark tan head. The head bubbles about for a bit before becoming a nice collar. A bit of lacing.

S) Nice coffee roast, like a fresh grind. There's a splash of cream and some light chocolate. Touch of hops.

T) Dark malt and just a little hops. There are good coffee flavors, with some mocha too. The 7.5% ABV is nowhere to be found.

M) Full bodied and lightly carbonated. Smooth and creamy, right for the style. Finish and aftertaste are a nice light roast.

O) Damn solid stout. I've really come to love this style. This is a notch below FBS for me, but overall quite good.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Batch 10152. Bottled 1/6/11. Drank 1/31/12 (I LOVE the fact that you can look up Batch Numbers on Bell's Website). Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium tulip. Appearance is jet black with a thin, tan-colored head. Faint nose of coffee and baker's chocolate.

I had this beer several times when it was relatively fresh and I always thought it was far too bitter and that the brewer did not compensate for the natural bitterness of the coffee by adjusting the maltbill. I held this particular bottle back for several months and the time took some of the harsher coffee flavors out and mellowed it out a bit. Flavors are smoother now and the overly bitter, ``cold coffee'' flavors at the finish are toned down somewhat, but the mouthfeel now seems a bit thin. The flavor suits my palate better, but I still don't think it stands up to the better coffee stouts out there (most of the ones I favor are far maltier than this).

I think I'm finally finished with this beer. I've tried it several times, at different temperatures and after different meals. Now I've let one sit for a while. I have given it every opportunity (since I respect Bell's Brewery so very much) and I am convinced that I just don't think it stands up to some of the other coffee stouts I've had. It's good, but I can't quite put it on my top shelf.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.94 out of 5 with 3,260 ratings