Bell's Java Stout | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Very Good
Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Style: American Stout

Java Stout uses a custom blend of coffee beans, roasted locally for us by Water Street Coffee Joint, to generate its intense flavor. Possessing an unmistakable aromatic punch, Java Stout has long been one of our most popular stouts.

Added by kbub6f on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 3,261 |  Reviews: 1,152

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Close to, if not totally, black. Head is a darker tan that quickly dissipates to a tiny ring. Almost no lacing to be had. Pours on the thick and heavy side. Very still.

Smell: Coffee and loads of it. Fresh ground, whole bean, and fresh brewed coffee all make an appearance. Tons of chocolate too. Cocoa takes the forefront with the coffee. Some sweeter notes round out the back. Any hopping is covered over and undetectable. Burnt malts and a touch of char and smoke.

Taste: Sweeter than the nose would have indicated. Big boozy fruity component. Coffee beans and day old coffee. Cocoa and roasted malts. Loads of burnt character. The aftertaste runs to chocolate covered coffee beans. Pure coffee onslaught complete with coffee breath.

Mouthfeel: Somehow full and watery at the same time. Carbonation is almost non-existent. Borders on syrupy at times. Dry on the finish. Smooth as all get out.

Overall: Almost too aggressive on the coffee. I can only imagine what fresh must do. I'm pretty sure it's coffee with a time lapse malt/alcohol tab that dissolves over a 2 week bottle condition. Nice, but definitely a bit overbalanced on the coffee.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

I really enjoy this Java Stout. The coffee is so prominent, which is extremely enjoyable to me. I've had many coffee as an ingredient beers but this one it truly is the feature ingredient.

It pours black with some spotty lacing on an off-white head. It smells like coffee, coffee, and more coffee. There are some caramel notes in this as well.

The taste is malty and full of coffee. It also has some caramel and vanilla but just a touch. It is robust and reminds me of a heavily roasted bean. Truly enjoyable.

2.36/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

First review for me. Can't get over the overwhelming taste/aroma of generic coffee beans. Seriously, mouth feel appearance etc. are all put aside due to being a coffee snob as well. The taste was like drinking a mixture of some crappy coffee like "choc full of nuts" and carbonation. If you like drinking gas station coffee then you might enjoy the heartiness. The texture is actually what I would expect from a full-bodied brew, and low head with slow tracing would all be appealing if I didn't have to deal with aforementioned crap coffee taste and aftertaste.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Black as night, there is no light getting through this one. The head dissipates into the beer quickly, leaving a medium tan around the edges with minimal lacing.

S: Oh wow! I thought I knew what roast smelled like until I smelled this beer. This is roasty! I home-roast my own green coffee beans, and this smells EXACTLY like roasting coffee beans. It's amazing how they were able to pull this off. I get the smell of the roast, the bean, and even the husk!

T: Roast dominates the taste, but thats not all there is. There is a background sweetness that tastes a bit like baker's chocolate or cacao nibs.

M: Moderate carbonation and a full body really add depth to this experience.

D: This is a sipper, I love to examine how this beer changes over the course of an hour or two.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%

Threw one of these back after drinking one of my Dunkelweizens (My 1st home brew). I had drank one of these a week or so ago and decided to let the other 5 sit in the fridge hoping that a week in the bottle would be more kind on my palate.

Poured into a Shiner Bohemian Black Lager pint. Very dark brown brew with a 2 finger + (what overflowed onto the counter) medium brown frothy head with massive brown lacing. First smell hit me as black cherry and carafa malts, then I pick up hot chocolate. Pick up the java or bitter chocolate and alcohol on first taste, bitter chocolate giving way to bitter coffee/roasted malts L500+. This is very similar to the flavor profile I encountered a week or so ago and was hoping that a little more bottle conditioning would mellow out, but evidently that's not the case. Not picking up any residual sweetness (per style). Pretty dry on the tongue and throat which for me is a plus, being that it is bitter.

Perhaps I'm a wuzz, black coffee is not my cup of tea errr cup of coffee (I take 3 sugars and cream with my coffee). A touch to bitter for me (from the malted grains) but not over the top thanks to the dry finish. I'd give this Bell's offering a B. Love their 2 Hearted and Oberon, so I'll definately be exploring the other offerings by this Brewer(y).

UPDATE - waited another 4 weeks to try another one of the original 6 pack and time has been good to this brew. The alcohol bite is entirely gone, nice chocolate and lightly bitter coffee notes, medium mouthfee and a scrupteoush beer. This is a definate A brew once it has bottle conditioned for a while (5 weeks+ in my case).

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a Great Divide pint glass. Dark black color. Not completely black and has dark brown highlights. Carbonation bubbles lead to a very small less than one finger head, that is tan or khaki in color and a bit creamy in appearance. Lace doesn't look like it wants to hang out and doesn't as this one disappears from the glass.

Smell is huge roasted coffee beans. There is some sweet milk chocolate smells there too. Maybe just a hint of charr and spice and some light brown sugar.

Taste is all coffee and coco. Some smoke or charred wood. A bit of spice also. Reminds me of a late afternoon iced coffee served black. Quite nice.

Mouth is velvety with light or creamy carbonation. Body is full and the finish is long and wet.

Overall I really enjoyed this. A lot like Founders Breakfast Stout in my opinion. This should be enjoyed late afternoon or after dinner but if you dare you could surely replace your morning cup of joe with this. A must try for a coffee stout lover.

Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store