Hell Hath No Fury Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale
3.77/5
Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Dubbel

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.

Added by CRJMellor on 11-03-2004

Ratings: 1,380 |  Reviews: 649

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

Big fan of Bell's but this is a miss.

2.06/5  rDev -45.4%

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance: Black body. Thin creamy brown head. No light gets through. Looks like a stout. Lace comes in rings.

Aroma: Thick dark malts, chocolatey, mud, sludgey yeast.

Taste: Sludgey yeasts here as well. Dark, sludgey malts. Sludge in general. A little raisin, but it's hidded behind the sludgey dark malts. I think I'm getting some sludgey wet cardboard/armpit oxidation as well. Taste is not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Low carbonation. Alcohol is absent on the palate.

Drinkability: Not one I need to return to. Probably my least favorite Bell's product to date. I just finished a Smutty Winter (dubbel) and this is not even in the ballpark of that beer.

2.31/5  rDev -38.7%

Batch 8739. Solid finger of brown head over a dark brown liquid. Smells dark and earthy chocolate with mild coffee, grassy hop edge, and peppery.

Tastes potent chocolate with surprising present of light esters and a phenolic that is disjointed and misplaced on the thick, dark, and sweet of this beer. Comes across as a kind of dry papery and not pleasant at all. Flavors present are chocoalte, old anise, fig, pear, and a peppery sting. Carbonation is too rubust and mouthfeel is thick with roast grain clinging to the tongue. Fuggles-flavored hoppiness and artificial chocolate syrup. This beer can go away and I would never miss it.

2.36/5  rDev -37.4%

12 oz. bottle received as an extra from Drewba. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

The pour is Coca-Cola black with a billowing coffee-colored head that lasts and lasts - really excellent head retention here. Webby, sticky lacing all around the glass, this could pass for an imperial stout by appearance alone.

Plenty of dark fruits in the smell, followed immediately by a hit of smoke. The plums and figs in the nose are offset by this rather off-putting burnt ember quality.

Smoke and an ashen tobacco flavor largely define the taste. There are some standard BSDA dark fruit flavors that follow closely on the aroma, but the burnt, charred malts are overpowering. There's a lingering bitterness that's similarly unappealing.

Overcarbonated and thin, this is pretty tough to stomach. Every aspect of this beer seems disjointed and abrasive, and the roasted qualities are pretty unappetizing. Great label art, but not a beer I'll seek out in the future.

Not what I expected.

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

Pours midnight black with an inch of creamy tan head into a chalice. Nose is molasses and licorice with some hints of smoke; sweet dried plums and cherries in the background. It looks like a stout.

Taste is roasty, toasty malts. More porter in the mouth, rich coating mouthfeel. Ut-oh: it's got that taste that usually brings on my allergic headache. Yup. There it starts. Okay, sorry, Bells, but this isn't my beer.

See my beer note: this beer has a malt to which I am apparently allergic and cannot drink, and so my drinkability score is unusually low. The low taste rating is simply because I didn't enjoy this beer, and I'm very jealous of the reviewer who managed to taste this on draft because I'm stuck with five bottles I don't want :-)

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

$1.90 for a single from Jack's, stamped 7673 on the bottle. I saw this and didn't quite know what to think. I love their triple, so I thought this would be interesting, and as soon as I opened it, I knew I was in for something different. This pours unlike any dubble I've ever had....thick, black, with a dark cocoa crema like head and ruby accents. The head has very good retention and near solid sheets of lace. The aroma is of banana bread served with some burnt rubber dipping sauce sprinkled with cocoa powder and soaked in Laphroaig. If you can picture that, you'll know exactly what this beer tastes like. Carbonation is mild. The mouthfeel is like motor oil, syrupy and dense with a slick, oily sheen coating the entire mouth. The taste is very peculiar...like the wheat series gone stout. Starts with burnt banana peel acidity, followed by deeply roasted grains, hot tar and driveway sealant. In the middle is a brief blast of cocoa powder and then finishes with black rubber, peaty scotch, and dark fruits. Bitterness is really nice in the finish, lingering slightly sweetly seemingly forever.

One thing is for sure...this isn't even remotely a belgian-style dubble. It seems to me that they threw the Wheat Series yeast into a batch of Kzoo stout on accident, accidently knocked a bottle of Laphroaig 15 into it, and needed to get rid of the mistake. Blamo... Instant "dubbel". I sure am glad I didn't buy a six pack of this...I would have been pissed. I've never had a beer like this, and I'm not quite sure I want another. Rated as a beer, not to style (where as you would guess, it fails miserably).

2.48/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours black with a 3 finger mocha colored head with pretty good retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and licorice. I am not sure that I like having dark roasted malt in a BSDA.

Tastes much like it smells with dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and a small amount of licorice. Sweet, with some bitterness from the dark roasted malt. I am not sure I care for the dark roasted malt or the licorice / anise taste, in what is classified as a Dubbel.

Full bodied, chewy, with below average carbonation and a roasted malt / licorice aftertaste. Not something I would buy again.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.77 out of 5 with 1,380 ratings