Hell Hath No Fury Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Dubbel

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.

Added by CRJMellor on 11-03-2004

Ratings: 1,359 |  Reviews: 643
3.71/5  rDev -1.6%

A very dark pour with only a little bit of a tan head...no lacing at all. Despite my best attempts, it's hard to get much of a smell out of this beer. Pretty good taste with a strong malt presence, though not what I expected. The peppery spice flavor is obvious, and the Belgian yeast flavor is noticeable, as is the alcohol taste. Overall, not as complex a taste as I would expect for the style or the brewer, but still a good, flavorful beer. A fairly light beer despite the dark color with nice, crisp carbonation. This one's definitely a sipper. All in all, a beer that's good enough to enjoy and share, but not one that will be the featured beverage of the night.

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%

12 oz bottle into a tulip

Pours a Black Hole black with a small tan head that quickly receded to a thin film. Aroma is somewhat weak - there is some malty sweetness and spiciness there, but not much in the way of fruitiness or alcohol warmth one might normally associate with a Belgian Dark. Taste does not redeem the smell - some maltiness and peppery spices, and although the alcohol warmth does come through here, it comes on too strong (and 7.5% ABV is low for the style). Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. You can taste the alcohol in this one and hampers its drinkability. I'm a big fan of Bell's, but now I'm debating whether I should give away my now 5-pack of this brew as a Christmas gift.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours jet black with a light brown head. In the aroma, Belgian like candy sugar and some small fruit notes. In the taste, Belgian candy sugar, a small roast, and fruity, mostly white grape. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry fruitiness in the aftertaste. Smooth and tasty, I can dig it. Plus it was batch 9999!!

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Wow, a surprisingly dark, mocha brown color with tins of cherry at the edges of the glass. A small, 2 cm brown head forms, but fades rather quickly. A bit of lace spiderwebs on the glass.

Smell: Roasted malt character, with muted figs, raisins, and some spices. Mild earthy hops finish.

Taste: It tastes like a combination of a Belgian dark and a porter, and maybe the subtlety is lost on me, but the porter takes over and sort of quashes the Belgian dark flavors. Chocolate and roasted malt, sweet toffee, some Belgian spicy yeast notes, and some muted dark fruits up front - I wish these flavors revealed themselves a bit more. Soft earthy hops try to provide a foil, but come up a bit short. Finishes sweet and roasted, with a jolt of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Very full body, and a sticky syrup coats the mouth immediately after the first sip. Light on the carbonation, it seems like it could do with more.

Drinkability: This was an interesting experiment, and I would continue to try really any new offering from Bell's, but the combination of flavors really did not demand that I pursue this particular ale again.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Batch #9999

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Chimay chalice.

The color is dark black with not highlights and a finger of foamy brownish head and no lacing.

Te smell is roasty malts with a touch of brown bread and figs. Some raisin and currents are in the aroma as it stays in the darker fruit side. Some slight over ripe banana and a little pear is in the nose as well.

The taste just seems to take on a life of it's own. It was here for just a sec, had a big of a chocolate chip pancake flavor and then was off in a blink of an eye. Some roasty coffee ground flavor hits at the senses. Some burnt brownie flavor is present with a rich dark malt flavor.

The feel of this beer is a bit robust. There are times when it feels like it may get away but it also does what you want it to. Some smoothness on the way down gives it a very inviting beer and it hits pretty hard in the end.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Aroma is strong and yeasty with fruity and caramel hints. It pours a dark chocolate brown with a fairly thick and fine-bubbled tan head, looking rather like a stout or porter. Rich, mouth-filling flavor is mainly yeasty with tones of caramel, roast coffee and chocolate, as well as a hint of hop bitterness. Sublime texture is thick, oily and fizzy. I strongly recommend this one!

3.01/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into chalice. Bought a single bottle...

Man... Am I glad I didn't grab a 6 pack of this. I love Bell's, but this isn't Bell's at its best.

Pours a deep brown-- chestnut and garnet hues. Tan head. Pour retention and lace.

Smells like dark cherries, prunes, and sweet dark sugar. There is an odd spicy and peppery note. This is it. The taste presents the same way. Very boring. The spicy note in the finish is not what I want. The beer is too dry.

Body is decent. Good carbonation... Little oily.

This is not Bell's at their best-- it is average, and Bell's is better than that.
I'm glad I don't have to finish 5 more of these...

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Says it's an ale but pours like a stout. Nice rich dark brown color with a superior coffee colored head.
S: Great blend of sugars yeast and malt with a slight hint of alcohol.
T: Very crisp and bready begin to this beer. It finishes with some nice maltiness coupled with a strong bitterness from the hops. It blends well and has a great little kick at the end.
D/M: Not overly carbonated but has enough of a crispness to really give you a pleasant drinking experience given the weight of this beer and the blend of flavors. Very thick and hard to mix with other beers.

P.S. Mine was marked batch 9999 so we best get ready for batch 10,000

2.56/5  rDev -32.1%

Opaque with a creamy-looking head, this looks more chocolate stout than Belgian-dark; nevertheless, it looks consistent. The head dissipates at a medium pace. From Hopslam thru the regular lineup on up to this Hell Hath No Fury, Bell's makes good-lookin' beers.

I smell Belgian yeast and dark malt...I know, what an insight. I'm glad there's no raisiny pungency I've had in some of my more recent ventures into the style, but there's nothing noseways that sings something special.

It tastes more Belgian than dark, and it really isn't all that string on the tongue. In fact, it's opacity relative to its light zest make for a bit of an odd notion. It's actually unbalanced and off-kilter in this regard. I acknowledge that the style lends itself to a meeting of extreme minds, but this one's a little crazy for me.

Like I say, it's too zesty for so malty a beer. As I've also already mentioned, it's odd-not a unique, refreshingly cool sorta way, but a repugnant, backlashingly WTF-did-I-order sorta way. Maybe a shot with a weird nutty cheese would pair handsomely, but even a small serving leaves something to be desired.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a bottle into my DFH glass

Pours a dark brown, almost black with a very minimal, couple mm head

Smell is primarily smoke, almost burnt coffee without much sweetness, not my favorite but not off putting either

Taste is again a smoky malt flavor, some bitter chocolate, and again more of the slightly burnt coffee

mouthfeel--adequate carbonation, not sticky, goes down smoothly

D--I bought a sixer of this. A little heavy as an every day beer but overall a solid offering from Bells. Not sure what category this truly falls into--not with the same sweetness as other BSDAs. I do enjoy it but wouldn't probably buy another sixer

3.87/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Much darker than I expected. The beer is a nice amber brown. Nice brown foam that dissapates to a ring around the glass.

The smell is definately Belguim. Fruity with a some roasted malt notes. The taste follows the smell. I get a nice Belgium ale with a darker roasted flavor. Very nice and easy to drink. A little pricey even for Bells but I could drink a few of these.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Color is an oily black, with a substantial chocolate-colored two-finger head. The head continues to bubble a while after the pour and almost looks like a boiling tar pit of some sort. Retention and lacing are both good. Very little light gets through the glass; just a touch of blood-red color is observed near the bottom where the glass is the narrowest.

Smell: I'm picking up some toasted malt, chocolate, and bitter coffee notes, but the smell overall is fairly understated. I expected something a little stronger, given how powerful the appearance is, but it seems to be a bit on the soft side. Perhaps it's due to the Belgian abbey-style yeast used in fermentation. I do detect some bready character and dark fruits aroma associated with that type of yeast, but a bit more punch would have catered to my expectations.

Taste: The taste, on the other hand, puts to bed the notion of weakness in this beer. Nice roasted malt flavor, followed by some pretty biting alcohol. I enjoyed the smokey flavor up front and how the Belgian influence waits till the end to make its appearance.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy texture and pretty full, although I feel like it could have used a bit more body. Finishes fairly dry and there was some serious bite from the alcohol up front.

Drinkability: Definitely enjoyable, but the lack of interest in the nose might lead me to select a different beer if I'm in the mood for high-gravity.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz bottle into Duvel Tulip: from notes.
A: This beer pours with the viscosity and character of a stout. The head is a melting sand, heavy cream look, with a lighter oak color. The body is a deep black, but in the light there is a hint of red. The head holds very well from the three finger pour and the lacing that is left is in a scattered formate.
S: A dark and malty aroma, which is on the higher side of intensity. The notes of molasses and candy sugar are found. A slight boozy aroma on the off notes, but overall this is a really layered aroma that shows there are good flavors to come.
T/M: On first sip there is a nice zing that brings the body up for a nice and complex feel. The nutty malts and slight hop bitterness are all found. The warming of the lingering taste is a great way to end this overall experience. While the flavors of a classic Dark Belgian ale are found there are other slight hints at other beers in the Bell's series.
D: Great all a around beer, I could drink this often. A semi-sessionable brew, but with a sense of a higher ABV than the 7.5% this is a sipper on the lower end of the ABV spectrum. A bit of a high priced six pack as well.

Not gonna lie, this thing looks like a stout on the pour. A good stout. Dark brown, nearly black in color with 2 fingers of tan head that hangs around for a minute before falling back, leaving some nice lacing around the glass. Daddy like.

The aroma is pretty good too. Fragrant enough for my tastes and fairly complex, I can smell some dark malts, a bit of spice, and some dark fruits.

The flavor follows the nose, too. Dark malts, plums, molasses, black licorice, and a little Cap'n Morgan rum thrown in on top... pretty good. Not quite as robust as I'd like, but that might be nitpicking. Pretty complex and overall, pretty tasty.

**Here's a little aside as I'm drinking... I have no idea where the name for this beer came from. It's entertaining and I like the artwork, but I don't see how this applies to a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I just know I don't want to go toe to toe with the woman on the front as she's straight PMSing on Satan himself.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, a dead-on medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation that helps the beer thin and dry out just a bit towards the end of each swig. Nice complement to the flavor.

I like this beer. It has an entertaining label, even if I don't know where it comes from, but the beer doesn't disappoint either. Pretty drinkable and another solid offering from Bell's.

Review #50!

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Okay, Belgian Strong Dark... I have some ideas of what to expect... open the cap, pour and... thick, pitch black syrup spills out? Alright... a bit unusual but I'll take it. Keep pouring and there's a thick, foamy, mocha brown head? Wait. Who replaced my beer with a stout? Not much lacing to be seen at all. Lots of bubbles rushing up the side of the glass to keep that head alive.

S - The smell is finally reminiscent of what I've been used to for the style. Smell is very sweet and has most notes rooted in figs, grapes, and candied dark fruits and Belgian yeast. At the very end of the nose, I get a really warming alcohol smell.

T - Taste is initially similar to the nose... but wait! This is where the appearance and nose blend together to influence the taste. Front end of the flavor profile is sweet with the Belgian sugar and candied fruit, bit of alcohol warmth. But as it warms up, I kind of get some stout characteristics. Most noticeable is a roasted barley taste in the finish. These two different taste profiles blend magnificently and makes this beer really benefit from its complexity.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy with surprisingly little carbonation given the apparent carbonation in the appearance and head. Finish is relatively short, smooth, and sweet.

D - Drinkability is moderately high. Flavor complexity, easy finish, and low alcohol presence really aids the smoothness, but heavy body with low carbonation keep this from being an all-day drinker.

Pours black with a fairly slight head that fades to a ring. Smells spicy and malty with some vinous notes as well. Nice backbone of tangy yeast and very dry, spicy malt, with lots of clove, but not a lot of sweetness. The finish is dry and almost woody with some lingering spicy bitterness. Smooth and slightly tangy in the mouth. A little bit different interpretation of the style, but I enjoyed it.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Westmalle goblet.

Appearance: Pours a deep chocolate brown with a half inch light brown, very dense head. After a few seconds all that is left is a ring of head next to the glass, and spotty lacing in the middle. When held up to the light the beer lightens a little and shows some dark red colors around the edges.

Smell: Right off the bat I get a strong smell of alcohol. Dark fruit as well, grapes and raisons. Then I get plenty of spices. Very complex, a lot to take in. As it warms there are some roasted malts that come out.

Taste: Chocolate in front, but that quickly fades to the fruit. Dark fruit, raisons, plums, and some sweetness. The roasted flavors come in at the end of the drink, with a touch of alcohol and some bitterness in the finish. With all the complex flavors in the smell, I was expecting a little more here.

Overall: Heavy body, medium carbonation. The carbonation is a little harsh for me, a little too strong for my liking.

Drinkability: Besides the carbonation, I love this beer. The flavors are bold, delicious, and more than enough to make me forget about the mouthfeel, which personally I am not a huge fan of.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

Aroma is spicy with cloves definitely present. Sweet as well, with dark fruits and sugar...some alcohol.

Pours black in the pint glass...small brown head that is loose and fades pretty fast.

Taste has some dark fruits, sugar, and cloves upfront in the body of the beer. Backend has some yeastiness to it, as well as a small alcohol twinge to it, and a typically (for style) minor bitterness bite. Finishes with Belgian sugars remaining on the tongue.

A solid take on a Belgian style here....tasty, drinkable, and to style. When paired with its tripel, I must admit that Bell's does Belgians quite well!

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz bottle, batch 9999!

It ours a dense, dark brown/black with a foamy tan head that sticks for a good bit. It is very firm and persistent.

The smell is kind of all over the place. It almost reminds me of a dunkelweizen rather than a belgian strong dark. It has a significant amount of bubblegum and banana in the scent. There is also some fruitiness and clovy spice. There is the slightest hint of black malts.

The flavor is all over the place as well. Lots of bubblegum, some chocolate, clove, coffee. It just isn't a flavor that i can get in tune with.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery.

A failed experiment in my book.

3.62/5  rDev -4%

Batch #9999

A - pours with a stout-like appearance - super black with a tannish head

S - dark fruits, sugary sweet malts, and a touch of chocolate

T - taste follows the nose. A lot of dark fruits (raisins especially) and candied sugar, rounded out by some sweet chocolates with some very soft oak undertones. The chocolate adds a fun mix to the style. There is a touch of belgian spiciness that allows me to accept this as a BSDA.

M - full and smooth - this is how stouts should go down.

D - At first I didn't know what to think about this beer. I kept thinking this was a stout from the chocolates on the nose and palatte, but was reminded by the spiciness and loads of dark fruits that this is, in fact, a BSDA. I really enjoyed this...one of the more unique offerings I have had from Bell's.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

11/01/10- Had a 12oz bottle (Batch 9999, Batch 10000, here we come!) of this one.
A: Dark brown opaque; poured a dark creamy head that died to a collar and film.
S: Dark caramel, chocolate, come raisin, boozey, citrus/piney hops, strong vanilla, woody (not aged, however).
T: Carmel... well, almost exactly what you smell, except the maple syrup (woodiness) and molasses is stronger and this is surprisingly creamy.
M: Thicker, creamy, and frothy.
D: Pretty good... well, one is good.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz. bottle at 42* into a pint glass.

A: It pours completely black with a half-finger of tan head.

S: It features raisins, berries, cherries, and sticky-sweet molasses.

T: It is quite roasty with syrupy molasses, figs, and sweet caramel maltiness.

M: It feels somewhat light and doesn't feature much carbonation.

D: This is more palatable than most dark Bell's.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Batch 9999.

A: The beer pours black in color with a two finger cappuccino colored head. The beer has excellent head retention and stellar lacing.

S: to be honest, there's not much to the smell of this beer. I get a little bit of oat at the start and some sweet nuttiness at the finish. With that being said, I had to search pretty deep into the glass to smell much of anything

T: Thankfully, the taste is much more robust than the smell. There's a wonderful balance between the hops and malt in this beer. At first I get some dark fruits with a mix of figs and plums at the start the quickly changes into a bit of coffee, toasted malt, and finally finishes with just a touch of hoppy bitterness.

M: Nice level of carbonation, just the right viscosity, and a great aftertaste

D: I would have to say that the drinkability of this beer is sky high. It tastes great, goes down super easy, has a medium ABV, and is fairly unique. I would drink this at any chance I have.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked this up at Macadoodle in Jane, MO, a touch pricey at $13 a sixer, Batch 9999...

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 4 fingers of caramel colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Pears & apple peels

T: Follows the nose, some chocolate cherry notes, dryness, candi-sugar & some brown bread notes up front. Plums, carob, powdery dryness & figgyness as this warms. Finishes fruitty, with candi-sugar sweetness/dryness & slight chocolaty/boozey notes

MF: Fairly rich, firm carbonation & good balance. It is somewhat warming

A good drinking Belgian Dark. This is fairly interesting, but not mind-blowing. Would buy again if in the mood for this style

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Grabbed at the excellent Piccadilly at The Crossing for $15.49/sixer; pricey, but a good beer.

Lush, deep dark brown body with one and one-half fingers of fleeting froth atop it. Nice lacing, though, and a killer body. Roasted malt is on the nose, but the smell overall is rather faint. There could be more spice and fruit in the smell, no question.

The taste, however, atones for much. There is plenty of clove and some ginger. There is also ample fruit--orange peel, fig and raisin--as well as some molasses. The flavor starts out good, to me, and significantly improves as it warms a little, and the diverse flavor content gels quite impressively; really delicious BSDA and, with the rich, roasted flavor, it at times drinks like a stout.

Creamy smooth mouthfeel, somewhat viscous, easy on the palate--HHNF is not tough to like by any stretch. Given its heft and some underestimated viscosity, Hell Hath No Fury is at times a sipper, albeit eminently accessible. However, given how well it breathes, that is not entirely a bad thing.

I haven't tried a new BSDA in quite some time, but this was well worth it; complex, and distinctly original. The price is a little high to me, although the current, tough economic climate has made me a little more price-conscious. If you have the coin and like good, challenging BSDA, Hell Hath No Fury is absolutely worth a go. Really good.

Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.