Bell's Cherry Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Cherry AleBell's Cherry Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Wildman on 11-06-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.95/5  rDev +20.4%

I just had one of these with lunch today and it was totally not what I expected. It was better. This beer poured an amber color with a redish tint to it.

The smell was of pale malt with a sweetness to it. There was a mild cherry aroma. The taste was nice.

At first it was malty with some cherry flavor and as it settles on your palate the tartness kicks in. Wow this beer has a tartness that you would not expect. It's great. I was not expecting that when I took the first sip. I think I was expecting a sweet flavor more than tart but I'm glad Larry decided to go in this direction with this beer. It's very interesting.

The mouthfeel is good. It has a medium body with medium carbonation. It is mouth puckering which I like.

I definately would recommend this beer even to people who aren't really in to the cherry flavor in beers and I know there's a lot of you. Try it because I guarantee it will be different than you think. Great beer

4.2/5  rDev +28%

Undated 12oz (no batch#) poured into a pint. I'm guessing this has no Batch # as it is listed as a limited release.

Hazy amber with a thin white head that falls quickly into a veiled ring. Leaves rings and spots as it goes down.

Smells of yeast and malt paired with tart cherries. Nice balance in the nose. I see a nice cherry (from Traverse City perhaps?) on the label, but my nose tells me that this is beer made with cherries, not some carbonated fruit juice like Lienenkugel's Berry Weisse or whatever that shit is.

The taste follows along the same lines as the nose: Good beer made with cherries. The cherry taste shows up mostly in the finish which is tart and dry. Malts are upfront and provide the body that gives it a nice mouthfeel.

This is a good summer beer. I really like it, and this is coming from someone who shys away from "fruity beers".

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured out dirty brownish amber into my snifter with hardly any carbonation, just a tiny white ring. The smell is cherry tinged yeast, not overly strong, but distinct.

The taste is a tart cherry explosion which makes my back taste buds absolutely tingle which settles down into a nicely balanced hop and grain mix with the fruit present but not knocking the door down. Finish is very crisp: a light hop kiss, and then nothing.

The body is about middle of the pack, with only mild carbonation, but it felt right for this beer. Drinkability is good, it's not a problem to put one of these down, which is sometimes problematic for fruit beers.

My overall impression is good but not great. I like the way Bell's have crafted this one with an eye toward crispness, tart flavour, and present but not overwhelming cherry presence, but still am not overly wowed by it. I do think the flavour fits the ale style better than the stout though, so I'm glad they branched out with this offering.

3.93/5  rDev +19.8%

The color of this beer struck me as it poured out due to its red hue. O.K., I know, its a cherry beer, but whether or not it was "red" due to the cherries or me just thinking it should be red, I don't know. Anyhow, after a slight head, it settled into the glass with its nice amber glow. Mild aroma of yeasty, bread dough and light fruit. The taste is interesting with a slight sweetness at the beginning giving way to a tartness that is not ovewhelming but continues all the way through the swallow giving it a great mouthfeel. The cherry taste is not cloying, nor not to tart and is very well balanced.

An interesting beer.

3.86/5  rDev +17.7%

On-tap at the Muddy Pig: Dark coppery haze with a medium bubbly, crunchy looking foam of off white. Settles slowly to a thin skim and little lacing decides to stick.

Aroma isn't much, surprisingly light and mediochre to say the least. I could barely get a wiff of anything on a full pint glass til about 1/3 empty. That is where I finally could muster a clean and crisp high grain malt and a sense of tart cherry. Thats about it.

Taste is a bit short in the front, pilsner-like in malting with quick and easy crispness with a bit of grainyness to it. Wheat perhaps too. Soon after midway the cherry tartness intersedes the overall and gets a really fantanstic nuance of grapey, vineous mingled cherry drying sensibilty to its finish. Totally worth each sip. The cherry tart drifts away quickly leaving an incredibly fine and easy dryness lasting for a good long while. It has a wonderful little play of dark grapes and cherry merging together to create one finely delicate and pleasingly acceptable dryness of light tart/souring. Nearly lambic-like on the trailing end. Quite unique.

Feel is about a medium body, holding a firm carbonation from front to back, but most of the attention is being drawn into the middle, then into the finish, where the cherry stuff and drying stuff kicks into high gear and makes it all worth while.

Intially tart when served, but calmed down soon after as it began to breathe a little and really became a nice little fruit beer to enjoy. Thoroughly drinkable and welcoming. A nice rendition to the Bell's line of beers to drink down in the summer.

4.08/5  rDev +24.4%

On tap at the Blue Nile ( imagine that!)
color is a bright crimson, a solid ruby, thick & hazy, too, and capped with a lush pinkish head, solid and lasting...very impressive appearance, very attractive, too!
Aroma, light, and sweet, with whiffs of cherry, but not much else.
Full feel on the palate, when first quaffed, a rush of sweet fruit, then the tart of the cherry, a bite of sour, then all is refreshment, and total quaffability.
My first taste of this made me wonder if I'd really like it. My first pint of it led to another, and so on..
Excellent texture, great drinkablity, a splash of tart to meet every swallow, but not so much to bring down the pleasure of drinking...bright and juicy...it's an ale full of cherries, what else do you want? If you love cherries in your beer, this is the brew for you! I not, stay away.
Solid, tasty, tangy, very well done. Hats off to Larry & Co.
Much better than Bell's Cherry Stout,meets the style of an ale better than the aforementioned does for a stout.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Bell's Cherry Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.