Bell's Special Double Cream Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout
81%
Liked This Beer
3.96 w/ 3,814 ratings
Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

Added by Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Liked:
3.96/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,814 |  Reviews: 1,448

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

A: Extremely dark with a chocolate colored head. This beer definitely looks drinkable

S: Roasted malts, caramel, chocolate, and coffee are very present and very pleasing.

T: All of the previous flavors present, but they unfold one by one on your palette. It is sweeter than most stouts, but what do you expect from milk stout. To me it is the paragon of this style.

M: So thick you almost need to chew it. Mouthfeel is definitely one of the highlights of this brew.

D: One of the many great brews from Bell's. Absolutely worth trying. Whenever I'm in Michigan I make sure to pick up atleast one bottle of this.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%

Secter Santa 2004 #8

Absolute black hole body, no light, high or otherwise escaping. Topped by a light tan head, which rose to three fingers before settling to a table top, a bit quick. Some ok lacing.

Nose is a flat out marvelous mocha which leaps from the glass to the nose. Not coffee and chocolate as aspects, instead they are perfectly blended.

Nice roasty notes throughout the taste, lot of coffee, lot of chocolate, both with milk, but a nice bit of dark chocolate and espresso too. Some herbal hoppiness at the end rises up to see "we're here", and while it's nice to have them , they aren't the stars here. There aren't enough o's in smooth for this taste.

Mouthfeel is super slick, coating all in it's wake.

Drinkability. It's a personal tragedy that I have only the one. I'm trying to go slow, but it's not easy.

A "special" stout indeed.

4.73/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black into my imperial pint glass. Nice foamy one finger khaki head. Very impressive to behold!

Smell -- Faint hoppy nose, bitter chocolate and a little bit of coffee. I really enjoy the complexity of this brew.

Taste -- Exceptional! Slightly bitter upfront, with a nice chocolate/coffee finish. I'd say the chocolate is more apparent than the coffee. The alcohol is masked quite nicely, but you can still enjoy the warming feeling as this stout goes down.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and creamy. . . almost chewy. Very nice.

Drinkability -- If I can find anymore of this I'll be buying it. Very drinkable, but one should probably limit it because this is my first one and I can already feel a hint of a buzz. This brewery really has its stuff together. Absolutely brilliant!

4.73/5  rDev +19.4%

A - Completely opaque black in color. No peripheral highlights noticeable. A dark tan head recedes to leave a minimal cap and ring.

S - Hmmmm...lots going on. Some vanilla....some smokiness...roasted malt....a sourish lactose-like note....coffee...dark chocolate.

T - The flavor is as complex as the smell. First taste is of smoky roasted malts. As the beer warms....new flavors emerge. More of a sweet milk chocolate flavor kicks in. Further warming brings a more caramel/cocoa profile. Roasted coffee bitterness kicks in on the swallow and there is a lingering sweetness on the finish along with an oily coffee flavor.

M - Complex to mirror the taste. This is a very viscous, creamy beer. There is a constant smoothness. Some stickiness is also apparent. Oily on the finish as well.

D - A mid-level ABV and the vast array of flavors and feel make this fun to drink. Definitely worth seeking out. The profile gives the most after it warms a bit so sip this one.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

A - Pours a dark brown/black with a cream-colored head that dissipates to a thin layer. Good lacing.

S - Notes of coffee, vanilla, and other spices. I also pick up noticeable smells of roasted malts.

T - Nice blend of coffee, malt, and toffee. I also definitely pick up the cream flavors. It is sweet, which is what I look for in anything that has "cream" in the name of it, though not overpoweringly so. Very well-balanced.

M - Creamy and smooth. Medium to thick bodied, but really smooth. Perfect finish.

O - If you want a creamy and sweet stout, look no further. I was very impressed with the Double Cream Stout - it does a marvelous job of balancing the sweet flavors with the roasted character of the stout. Fantastic beer!

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

I thought Bell's Kazoo stout was nearly opaque, but then I got ahold of this one. Can't think of another stout I've tried that let so little light through. Very impressive!

Smell was quite nice, with no jarring notes, but the real forte of this brew was the taste. Complex, with a malty sweetness that didn't cloy at all.

A truly fine, big beer, whose only "minus" would be limited drinkability (well, that and the price: $11.99 per 6). I can't imagine downing more than two or three of these in an evening - but that would be a most pleasant winter evening indeed!

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours very dark, almost black with a mocha colored head. Great retention and sheets of lace left behind.

Malty aroma - dark chocolate, mild coffee, caramel, and molasses. Spicy cinnamon notes top things off. A little milder than expected, but very inviting.

Big roasted flavor that gets sweet with dark and milk chocolate, molasses, and light coffee. Definitely creamy and rich. Mild spicy hops, baking spices, and toasted grain round things out. Alcohol does not show up at all. Finishes dry with lingering roasted sweetness. Very satisfying.

Medium-full body in body. Creamy yet crisp, rich, almost chewy. Easy to drink. Nice balance of roast and sweetness. Excellent - the best Milk/Sweet Stout I've had.

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Dark and not much head. That quickly disappeared.

S: Smelt like a Mocha Latte. Other then that there were slight hints of vanilla and roasted malts.

T: Very smooth, sweet and creamy. Had a dark chocolate taste.

M: Not to sticky. Like drinking a yoohoo. Well pretty close

D: Very drinkable, not overwhelming for a stout. I will definately be searcing for some more of these.

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- This is an opaque black color and looks very solid. The head looks very creamy, is a cappuccino color and has moderate retention in my opinion....settles down to a thin layer a little quicker than I'd like. The lacing, while decent, is less fulfilling than I was expecting, but nothing to really complain about. Overall, a fine....perhaps slightly underwhelming looking stout, but that is not what makes the beer....onward....

S- There is a medley of fine aromas happening here...I find a milky quality about the aroma first off....to me it has a soft chocolate milk smell initially, followed by mild aromas of roasted coffee, cream, and dare I even say a hint of canned black olive?!....yes I did! The finish has some smooth bitterness happening....very mild and very inviting!

T- Oh this is a delightfully creamy tasting beer! This is chalk full of mild, yet robust flavors of bitter chocolate, mild roast coffee, sweet caramelized molasses/golden brown sugar, and toasty malted barley. The finish has a bitterness, but not of the hop variety, but rather just the right amount of burnt grain kernels...reminds me slightly of an oat stout in this regard. My only qualm is right after the swallow, there is the slightest bit of an alcohol spice, which takes away from the smoothness, but again, nothing to really get excited over.

M- I am willing to bet that this is one of the creamiest stouts in the world! Full mouthfeel, and I really enjoy the rich softness of the beer....almost like some heavy cream was added to this but I fully realize that this is dairy free....it's just that smooth! The carbonation is soft and stays in the background where it belongs....just wonderful!

O- This is a deadly stout that is very highly drinkable!! Oh boy, if this was available in my area, I would have a new go to for the style! Rich flavors & aromas, superbly smooth and full, without being overbearing on the palate or stomach, I give this one very high marks and highly recommend this one to anyone who appreciates a super high quality stout!

Very smooth like velvet.

Has a distinct creamy smell and taste. Has enough chocolate but is not overpowering. can be a little too sweet at times. Nice malt characteristics with very little hoppiness. Has a very easy drinkability and it would go well with most chocolate desserts. Not as strong as I like but overall a very good stout.

I Would recommend this to everyone.

4.66/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

A- About a 1" mocha head on a black body.
S- Roasted, cream, oatmeal, light coffee, and almost a light vanilla.
T- Creamy with some roasted burnt malts, coffee, light chocolate, not actual oatmeal but something makes a almost oatmeal flavor, grass hops, and something else I can't put finger on. Light to medium bitterness left on tongue from grass hops and light cream flavor with some roasted malts stay for the aftertaste.
M- Low smooth carbonation, medium body.
D- It's a very tasty brew. I could down a lot of these very easily. Maybe one day when I head up to Bell's I will have a night with these.

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This jet black beauty went right from from the bottle to the trusty tulip with enough of an aggressive pour to produce a full inch of mocha head right to the brim. Waiting for the head to settle allowed the stout to warm a bit. Do not drink this ice cold; the warmer it gets, the more pronounced the burnt chocolate /espresso becomes, and all all without being to bitter on the way down. A double cream mouthfeel indeed. The easiest drinking stout I can remember, with a tiny bit of bitterness on the finish. Usually I like a stout as a sipper, or something to have with a big, full meal. This one is refreshing, I want more than one, and can see myself going through a couple on a hot summer day. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a pitch black sea into my snifter with a dark tan head that recedes at decent rate. Chocolate of the bat in the nose. Very sweet aroma from the 10 different malts. Also has a very roasted aroma. The double cream stout has an extremely rich flavor. So much flavor with all the malts. This is perhaps my favorite beer from Bell's. Coffee, Chocolate and molasses are all over this one. This beer makes the mouth salivate. Great sweetness with matching bitters. That roasted flavor is lingering for a while. At 6.1% this could become my new session stout if it wasn't so limited. Pick this up, you won't be disappointed.

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing. It packs a big punch in the flavor department for a 6.1% stout. Super creamy, chocolatey, dark roasted malt goodness. This beer is as close as I've seen to imperial stout feel and flavor in a nonadjunct stout that's less than 7-8% alcohol. I love it. Now of it were only cheaper I'd buy it all Winter long.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 81% out of 100 with 3,814 ratings