Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

Added by Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Reviews: 1,417 | Ratings: 3,685
3.98/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours jet black with a hefty three finger head with a mildly aggressive (read: drunken) pour. When held to the light just the tiniest hint of ruby-orange highlight shows. Pretty good lacing as well.

S: Sweet roasted malts, vanilla, milk chocolate, dried dark fruits. A mild roasted nut note comes out as it warms.

T: Sweet, yet mildly astringent, this shows the full gamut of complex malt characters, from roasted nuts to coffee and chocolate. Finishes with a rather black malt like finish.

M: Thick and rich, almost chewy, though as it warms the alcohol burn mixes with carbonation and black malt astringency.

O: This beer was only hamstrung by how tart and astringent it became as it got warmer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

A-Nice black syrupy looking beer with a nice head and lacing.

S-Smells sweet and malty with hints of chocolate.

T-Sweet but not to sweet and very malty.

M-Thick and creamy, I love it.

D-one of my favorites, incredibly rich and, a treat for the palate.

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%

This is a delicious stout, but a disappointing cream stout.

This beer failed to exhibit many of the cream-factors typical of cream stouts. For example, the head disappeared almost immediately. I like a thick head with my cream stout. I like the head to stick on my upper lip like a milk mustache. The body was thin, the sticky texture missing, and the sweet, milky finish barely detectable. In fact, I drank the first few bottles completely unaware I was having the cream stout in the fridge. (Sometimes I don't look carefully at the label, just to surprise myself.)

But all is not lost with this specialty Bells stout. Malts are super toasty and dark, practically begging to be followed with a fat chunk of chocolate or maybe a chocolate covered espresso bean. And hey, with such a beautiful malty finish, I think the puny sweetness is a blessing in disguise.

4.84/5  rDev +21.6%

Looks dark and beautiful, smells delicious, mouthfeel is so creamy, and it tastes as delicious as it smells. I know its seasonal but I stash a few to enjoy all summer long. The roasted malt characteristics stand out, with some fleeting hints of smoke and dark fruit. Just enough sweetness to balance out the earthiness and hop bitterness. Such a great beer I can't get enough of it.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours like motor oil. Thick and pitch black. One finger mocha color head.

On the nose, im getting chocolate, coffee beans, and roasted malts.

The taste is very nice! Bittersweet dark chocolate and roasted malts. Light hops and coffee bitterness on the finish. Lingers for a second or 2.

Thick mouth feel. Reminiscent of a milk creaminess.

A very nice beer to sip on and savor. The thickness makes it kinda of weird to down one after another.

4.06/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Jet black, carbonated tan head, looks like Coca-Cola, head never really dissipated

S - Chocolate and Coffee! (My four-year-old daughter thought it smelled like cookies!)

T - Delicious! Chocolate stout, malty, very creamy, just the right amount of carbonation and bitterness

M - Thick and creamy yet crisp and clean (if that makes any sense); doesn't leave that thick aftertaste other stouts seem to

O - One of my favorite Bell's beers! Very sessionable, in my opinion. I could see some nervous stout wannabe's give this a go and enjoy it. Worth the high price point if you ask me...

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours black, thin red tint at the bottom which allows maybe a spec of light through. Moderate size head with decent sized lacing, so far.

Smells sweet, malt, great amount of coffee and chocolate.

First sip is thick and sweet, nice and creamy. Awesome malts. I don't really get any bitterness or the alcohol in it, maybe once it warms more.

Body is full, smooth, thick, creamy and carbonated just right.

Goes down smooth, easy to say the least. Awesome dessert beer! Well done by Bell's.

4.67/5  rDev +17.3%

Very smooth like velvet.

Has a distinct creamy smell and taste. Has enough chocolate but is not overpowering. can be a little too sweet at times. Nice malt characteristics with very little hoppiness. Has a very easy drinkability and it would go well with most chocolate desserts. Not as strong as I like but overall a very good stout.

I Would recommend this to everyone.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from bottle into oversized, stemless wineglass.

A. Jet black. Mocha colored head lasts for 30 seconds then dissipates.

S. There's a hint of chocolate, followed swiftly by a sweet rancio, I can't think of another way to describe it. Maybe roasted coffee, with a little too much milk in it.

T. Milky sweetness. The attack is mellow, the body is strong and the finish is fairly short but warm. There isn't much roasted bitterness. It's mostly composed of a soft, hazelnut taste. Fairly unique for a stout.

M. Fizzes as it goes down, fills the mouth. Creamy, smooth.

D. Not nearly as imposing as I thought it would be, which actually lends itself to drinkability. It really is creamy.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%

I was very excited to try the Double Cream Stout from Bell's. That excitement, unfortunately, faded on my first sip. It pours nicely and looks great, but the first smell was a bit burnt to me and it didn't lend itself well to the taste. I found this one to be a bit more burnt and bitter than I would expect from a cream stout. I was truly disappointed in it. I had extra bottles left over from the sixer I bought so I offered some friends a try and got the same response from them. Unfortunately, this is not one of the beers that will be gracing my home any time soon.

3.46/5  rDev -13.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Thick black pour creates a nice finger of coffee colored head. Great lacing.

S - Coffee and Chocolate

T - Sweet cream and chocolate followed by roasted grains and coffee. A touch of hop bitterness and alcohol on the back end adds a subtle spiciness.

M - Heavy and creamy. This one stays on the tongue.

O - Not a bad cream stout, but not in elite territory.

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured straight into pint glass, pours very dark caramel color with a thin head.

Smell isn't too obvious, subtle creamy note, reminds me of a marshmallowy scent. Also roasted malts. Besides that, pretty much a normal cream stout.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, it really is like gulping down a glass of whole milk. This feel tastes throughout until the very last moments before it goes down the hatch. Then it finishes with an alcoholic, roasted coffee bean taste.

Like the name suggests, this beer's main selling point is the creamy texture and mouthfeel that nicely contrasts with the roasted flavors that come from the malts. Not a bad beer.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Bell's probably has one of the greatest catalogs of good stouts of any microbrew in America, and this is my favorite Bell's Stout. It has a very strong toasty, chocolate-laced coffee flavor to it. I find it to be sweeter than Kalamazoo Stout and it has a lingering mouthfeel. I suspect Bell's sells more Kzoo Stout, but this one is far more enjoyable due to the rich flavor and the molasses-like mounthfeel.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Black and opaque. Thin ring of foam around the glass. Leaves some lacing behind as I swirl.

S: Burnt malts and caramel. A slight hint of milkiness. Not too strong or overpovering, but inviting.

T: A bit of metallic at first sip (maybe that's due to having a clear palate) leaving me with the taste of roasted coffee beans and malt. Finishes somewhat dry. As my mouth warms up to it, I can taste a bit of fruitness and alcohol in the background letting me know to watch out or this stuff could sneak up on me.

M: Not too thick, not too thin. More creaminess than the others I've tried (maybe it's the milk :-). Lets you know there's something behind this one.

D: I could put away a few of these without realizing it. But by then it'll be too late...

I Haven't had too many of this style. Seems to taste like most other stouts but a little creamier. I would revisit this one.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Received via a trade with BirdsVsWorms

A - Black with a beautiful tan head that has the awesome waterfall effect as it dissipates.

S - Coffe, Chocalate, and Vanilla. I can't wait to taste it.

T - Slightly bitter dark chocalate and burnt coffee with a pretty solid hop presence. This is very smooth and leaves the coffee and chocolate flavor on your palate long after you swallow it.

M - Full bodied with medium carbonation. Terrific mouthfeel.

D - Pretty darn drinkable. I really like this one and it is making a fine desert!

1.57/5  rDev -60.6%

Received in trade from StormKing47. Thanks Josh!
12oz poured into Allagash flute. Batch # 9513.

A: Pours a thick syrupy black with a thin dark tan head. Minimal lacing.

S: Sour milk, chocolaty malt sweetness, slight spicy hoppiness.

T: Sour milk up front then a blast of bitter roasted barley. Piny and herbal hop bitterness throughout. Finishes sticky and dry. Chocolate and coffee notes build as I drink. Not a whole lot of sweetness to me, unlike what others have mentioned.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Sticky, thick and dry.

D: Not something I would want to have again.

This one really sounded like it would be good. I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover... or, hundreds of good reviews. I don't think there was anything wrong with the beer in the way of spoilage or oxidation, but I don't understand where some people are coming from in their reviews. If I ever come across it again I will have to try it and see.

4.19/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A very good pour. Tasty, creamy. A good option for those new to stouts.

A: Nice looking head, giving way to clusters of lacing and sandy striations. As it settles, looks like last glimpse of Maine sunset -- black but with notable orange/crimson ring on the edges. Suds stick to side of glass.

S: Sweet. Butterscotch. Java chip ice cream.

T: Smooth. Cocoa, espresso. Very mild bitterness. Roasted malts.

M: Soft, watery. Not necessarily a bad thing; but it's pretty flimsy.

O: Very easy to drink. Again, a good "starter stout." Not bitter, very smooth. Not necessarily a Hall of Fame beer, but truly is TOPS in look and aroma. But for weak body, an otherwise great blend of taste, look and smell that is enjoyable to drink.

Repeat? Sure. Although I don't yearn for another, I certainly would have it stocked on-hand for friends (particularly those new to stouts), and would happily imbibe with them.

Random Notes: Unlike many stouts, this one tastes better COLD

Two Words? Satisfying Sampler

4.95/5  rDev +24.4%

a: Lacy, head is solid, looks like a nice tan color and I love the way the head settles, if poured a little violently. Awsome

s: chocolate and alcohol with a bit of smoke taste to it at the end. Very smooth

t: oh greatness. Leaves a thick chocolaty and bitter as it goes down, initially starts off a little weaker but very smooth at the end.

m: the biggest problem with this beer is the amount of carbonation present in it I had this on tap and when you tap a pint you get a half of a glass of head.

d: The first time I had this is on tap at my house. This was my first stout on tap and I think I picked a good one to start off with. This is a stout that hits the spot after a long day. I love the smooth full silky moth feel of this stout. But it’s a stout that can make you full after a few.

conclusion: This was my first stout on tap at home and I am really happy with my choice. I wish this was made year long but its only seasonal. I liked this stout and plan on having my distributor get me a keg next fall.

WAY TO GO BELL’S BREWING

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Almost pure black but not quite. Dark cream colored head, looks to be medium to high carbonation.

S-Coffee, Dark roasted malts, a little chocolate. Somewhat smokey.

T- Heavy on the roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, very smokey, a little sweet. A sort of sour smokey finish. Very good.

M- I expected a thicker body but it was slightly above average. Medium carbonation.

D- Good drinkability for a heavier stout.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Typical stoutish look - dark brown in color, with thinner than expected head for double cream.

S: Nice carmelly roasty smell. Almost a hint of bourbon scent to it.

T: Smooth all the way through, can definitely taste the roasty sweetness, and it is consistent from start to finish.

M: A little more carbonated and watery than expected, but not unappealing at all.

D: Quite drinkable do to it's smoothness, not as filling as one might expect from a double cream either.

2.39/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Really dark brown to black, with a small amount of head. Looks thin on pouring. Pretty average appearance.

S: I struggled with this. Very muddled smell. For a beer that bills itself as a Double Cream Stout, I expected some kind of creamy, maybe semi-sweet, or vanilla aromas. This didn't give me any of that. It barely smelled like a stout to me, which was odd.

T: Like with the smell, I had a heck of a time getting anything related to "Cream," let alone "Double Cream" out of the taste. The hints of malt taste that are there at first got dominated by a strong sour aftertaste that lingered with every sip. Tried drinking a gulp of water in between sips -- maybe it was something I ate. But nope, it was the beer. I don't know if there was a lot there even without the sourness, but the sour taste really killed this for me. It dominated everything and, frankly, was sort of nasty.

M: Thin with medium carbonation. Again, very disappointing. I expected something at least moderately thick and creamy, but there was nothing substantial here at all.

O: I was hugely disappointed with this. It tasted, smelled and felt to me like a below-average stout with something wrong with it. I may check the batch number and see. I drank it a few days after I bought it, but maybe it was sitting on the shelf in the store for a while. I'll update my review when / if I can find out.

Update: Mine was bottled a little under 4 months ago (10/17/2012). Should be well within drinkable time, barring improper storage.

4.09/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured in to a 12oz mug. Poured a black with a little of a dark brown tint.

S- Coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malts.

T- Taste match the smell of the beer with coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malt, with some bitterness at the end.

M- Good medium carbonation pretty good body with a good after taste.

O- Overall this is a pretty decent stout not overly creamy which is what I was expecting.

3.78/5  rDev -5%

12oz pry-off brown bottle with a batch number on the back in place of a freshness date.

Pours and looks like many stouts; black with some dark brown along the edges when held up against light. A nice tan head that fades into some very nice lacing that sticks around for a while. Looks like it has a nice amount of carbonation.

Smells of dark malts, some roasted notes detectable, some sweetness in the aroma, hints of coffee. More aromatic than what I would have expected, which is great, but it's nothing special.

Taste sweet at first, crisp, creamy, then you taste the roasted malts, hints of coffee, and some slight bitterness from the hops. You'll feel a slight warming from the alcohol as it goes down, but it doesn't distract you from the other flavors. Feels creamy on the palate, smooth, which is nice.

I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these if I had just eaten, or during a meal, due to the brews ability to fill you up fast. But away from a meal I could drink a couple of these. I'm sure after a couple you'd start to realize the higher ABV. But for this style of beer you couldn't expect anything else.

Notes: An overall good sweet stout that's readily available in most areas, which gives it points in my book.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Paid twelve dollars for a sixer of this at the local grocery store. What's noteable about this is that all of the other Bell's sixers (including the Kalamazoo Stout) were only eight dollars.

The appearance of this brew, when poured into a glass is jet black (like most stouts) with an off-white, almost-bronzish head. Not as much head or "shade-morphing" as is typical with Young's, Guinness, or Samuel Smith Stouts. An attractive beer but not quite as pretty as many of the English Cream Stouts.

smelled most notably of roasted nuts, chocolate, coffee, and heavy cream. In other words, it was a party to my nostrils.

It tasted how one would expect a medium-priced cream stout to taste. Extremely sweet, malty, and delicious. To compliment my brew, I ate a couple of butter cookies with chocolate sprinkles. It was simply exquisite.

The thing that stuck out must about this brew was its mouthfeel. DOUBLE cream is right!!! A creamy, almost buttery texture to this beer left me in awe; especially as a complement to the cookies I was eating with it. There are few stouts known to man with as wonderful of a texture.

This is a beer that I would definetely NOT drink to get drunk. I coulnd't imagine downing more than three of them without getting full to the point of wanting to lie down. More so than anything, this one (like most cream stouts) is designed to be a treat for the palate.

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Expected more out of this one. Especially with Bell's on the label. Didn't have the depth I was expecting. Was more tart than I thought a cream stout should be. Color was dark, little lacing left on the glass. Thinner than I thought it should be. Run of the mill stout. Good, but not worth searching all over for.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.