Bell's Special Double Cream Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Read the review
Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American Stout

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

Added by Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Reviews: 1,426 | Ratings: 3,723
2.64/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance: This beer pours from the bottle oil slick deep black color. There is a thick dark down head that sits on top of the beer with a persistent staying power.

Smell: This beer has a definite oatmeal aroma which nearly overpowers all other present aromas. There is a slight sweet roast in the background along with some nutty and bready characters.

Taste: The oat also comes through distinctly upon taking a swig. There is almost roasted pecan flavor and a definite white burnt sugar sweetness to the beer. This beer's flavors are extremely unbalanced with the distinct, dominate, not pleasant oat character followed by awkward sweetness and a dry alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: The beer does have a pleasant body that is thick and chewy without making it a sipper beer. There is a definitely slick feeling to the beer which I would guess is from copious amounts of oat in the grist.

Drinkability: The unbalanced flavors and armoa do not lend to making this beer drinkable. I wouldn't want to drink more than one in an evening.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Bell's makes some fantastic beers, but this is not one of them. It's disappointing because their Kalamazoo Stout is such a fantastic beer. Unless you are a big fan of massive oat character stay away from this beer. Instead, save yourself some cash and go pick up a sixer of Bell's Porter or traditional Kalamazoo Stout.

3.27/5  rDev -17.6%

doesn't allow any light through. has a dark brown head that fades very fast.
the standard porter coffee and chocolate smell, but with a hind of tobacco maybe.
carries the coffee and chocolate into the flavor. the bitterness masked well by the cream, almostlike a latte.
very thick and creamy leaving the mouth feel coated.
very enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours pitch black with a creamy, two finger head that leaves a fine lace after a few minutes.

Smell is sweet and malty.

Taste is also sweet and malty, not really robust, decent hops balance, alcohol comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is great...thick and creamy.

Pretty drinkable, especially for a 7.5% ABV. I'd definitely do it again.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A Pours black with no light coming through when held in the light. The head was little and dirty brown that dissapeared fast and then vanished. Being a cream stout I would have liked to see some head.

S Very malty with toffee and coffee hints to it with a bread dough smell

T Very nice and can't wait for another, I get a well balanced beer with all the malt in it (10 different malts according to the bottle) it finishes with a roasted coffee taste which is very nice and not over done.

M I would have expected a more creamy feel to it but it has a nice malt feel that is not heavy.

O A better than good beer. Appearance and smell could be better. taste was very good, which is the most important thing.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle poured into Nonic Pint.

A- Poured with just a small amount of tan head. Dark as night. Light can not penetrate it.

S- Strong coffee and cream going on here.

T- The first thing you get here is coffee and cream, just like your morning cup of joe. Hints of caramel and smoke can be tasted right after your sip.

M- Slight carbonation and not very thick as many stouts but far from watery.

D- A very easy drinking stout could drink multiple bottle in a night.

Overall this i a very nice stout that tastes as the label states.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

APPEARANCE: Dark brown, nearly black. Very Clear with a noticeably taupe head.

AROMA: A noticeable malty smell with some heavy coffee tones and an ever so slight alcohol note present.

FLAVOR: Malty, roasted, coffee flavors. Extremely smooth & rich, with just a hint of sweetness. It filled my mouth with a rich, thick, but not cloying foam. Subtle hints of chocolate. A light, almost nonexistent bitterness of hops.

PALATE: Definitely a medium-bodied, extremely well balanced, very creamy mouth feel. Almost no heat (of alcohol) about it.

NOTES: I could easily make this a session beer. The beer was medium bodied, very enjoyable, and very rich. But, at 7.5% ABV I think as a session, I'd have to make it a very, very early night.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have had this multiple times at two different locations- on tap. It was labelled at both places as Bells Cream Stout. I looked at Bells website and did not find a Cream Stout, except Bells Double Cream Stout, so I am assuming they are the same.
I found the flavor was not that exceptional, good but not great, at one place. I believe it was due to it being served ice cold, and this needs to be drunk at a more moderate temperature.
I have had it multiple times since, and found it exceptionally flavorful, with all sorts of malt flavors, a touch of hoppiness, and definite coffee and chocolate flavors. The flavors are well balanced, so that if you are thinking "coffee" that seems predominant. If you are thinking "malts galore" you will really notice all the malt flavors.
I wonder if some of the other reviewers had a serving that was too cold, because this is one of the most flavorful dark beers I have had. Or it was a different beer. It did seem to have more of a kick than the Double Cream stout's advertised 6.1% alcohols.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

I had this poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass at a local pub. As usual the stout was served well below optimal temperature so I drank slowly to see how the taste developed as the beer warmed.

A: typical dark, pitch black stout color with a minimal head that dissipated quickly.

S: smelled some cocoa, malts, raisins and a hit of hops

T: more hop bitterness that I would have thought this beer would have, some cocoa flavor, java notes and has the beer warmed more of the java flavor came forward. Not creamy as the name would suggest.

M: nicely carbonated, light feel on the tongue, I expected a thicker creamier beer but it was light similar to an Irish dry stout.

Overall: nice beer, I enjoyed it but it was not as creamy as I thought it would be, more of a dry stout in my opinion, but good.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours jet black with a hefty three finger head with a mildly aggressive (read: drunken) pour. When held to the light just the tiniest hint of ruby-orange highlight shows. Pretty good lacing as well.

S: Sweet roasted malts, vanilla, milk chocolate, dried dark fruits. A mild roasted nut note comes out as it warms.

T: Sweet, yet mildly astringent, this shows the full gamut of complex malt characters, from roasted nuts to coffee and chocolate. Finishes with a rather black malt like finish.

M: Thick and rich, almost chewy, though as it warms the alcohol burn mixes with carbonation and black malt astringency.

O: This beer was only hamstrung by how tart and astringent it became as it got warmer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

A-Nice black syrupy looking beer with a nice head and lacing.

S-Smells sweet and malty with hints of chocolate.

T-Sweet but not to sweet and very malty.

M-Thick and creamy, I love it.

D-one of my favorites, incredibly rich and, a treat for the palate.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

This is a delicious stout, but a disappointing cream stout.

This beer failed to exhibit many of the cream-factors typical of cream stouts. For example, the head disappeared almost immediately. I like a thick head with my cream stout. I like the head to stick on my upper lip like a milk mustache. The body was thin, the sticky texture missing, and the sweet, milky finish barely detectable. In fact, I drank the first few bottles completely unaware I was having the cream stout in the fridge. (Sometimes I don't look carefully at the label, just to surprise myself.)

But all is not lost with this specialty Bells stout. Malts are super toasty and dark, practically begging to be followed with a fat chunk of chocolate or maybe a chocolate covered espresso bean. And hey, with such a beautiful malty finish, I think the puny sweetness is a blessing in disguise.

4.84/5  rDev +21.9%

Looks dark and beautiful, smells delicious, mouthfeel is so creamy, and it tastes as delicious as it smells. I know its seasonal but I stash a few to enjoy all summer long. The roasted malt characteristics stand out, with some fleeting hints of smoke and dark fruit. Just enough sweetness to balance out the earthiness and hop bitterness. Such a great beer I can't get enough of it.

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours like motor oil. Thick and pitch black. One finger mocha color head.

On the nose, im getting chocolate, coffee beans, and roasted malts.

The taste is very nice! Bittersweet dark chocolate and roasted malts. Light hops and coffee bitterness on the finish. Lingers for a second or 2.

Thick mouth feel. Reminiscent of a milk creaminess.

A very nice beer to sip on and savor. The thickness makes it kinda of weird to down one after another.

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Jet black, carbonated tan head, looks like Coca-Cola, head never really dissipated

S - Chocolate and Coffee! (My four-year-old daughter thought it smelled like cookies!)

T - Delicious! Chocolate stout, malty, very creamy, just the right amount of carbonation and bitterness

M - Thick and creamy yet crisp and clean (if that makes any sense); doesn't leave that thick aftertaste other stouts seem to

O - One of my favorite Bell's beers! Very sessionable, in my opinion. I could see some nervous stout wannabe's give this a go and enjoy it. Worth the high price point if you ask me...

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours black, thin red tint at the bottom which allows maybe a spec of light through. Moderate size head with decent sized lacing, so far.

Smells sweet, malt, great amount of coffee and chocolate.

First sip is thick and sweet, nice and creamy. Awesome malts. I don't really get any bitterness or the alcohol in it, maybe once it warms more.

Body is full, smooth, thick, creamy and carbonated just right.

Goes down smooth, easy to say the least. Awesome dessert beer! Well done by Bell's.

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Very smooth like velvet.

Has a distinct creamy smell and taste. Has enough chocolate but is not overpowering. can be a little too sweet at times. Nice malt characteristics with very little hoppiness. Has a very easy drinkability and it would go well with most chocolate desserts. Not as strong as I like but overall a very good stout.

I Would recommend this to everyone.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Almost pure black but not quite. Dark cream colored head, looks to be medium to high carbonation.

S-Coffee, Dark roasted malts, a little chocolate. Somewhat smokey.

T- Heavy on the roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, very smokey, a little sweet. A sort of sour smokey finish. Very good.

M- I expected a thicker body but it was slightly above average. Medium carbonation.

D- Good drinkability for a heavier stout.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from bottle into oversized, stemless wineglass.

A. Jet black. Mocha colored head lasts for 30 seconds then dissipates.

S. There's a hint of chocolate, followed swiftly by a sweet rancio, I can't think of another way to describe it. Maybe roasted coffee, with a little too much milk in it.

T. Milky sweetness. The attack is mellow, the body is strong and the finish is fairly short but warm. There isn't much roasted bitterness. It's mostly composed of a soft, hazelnut taste. Fairly unique for a stout.

M. Fizzes as it goes down, fills the mouth. Creamy, smooth.

D. Not nearly as imposing as I thought it would be, which actually lends itself to drinkability. It really is creamy.

3.47/5  rDev -12.6%

I was very excited to try the Double Cream Stout from Bell's. That excitement, unfortunately, faded on my first sip. It pours nicely and looks great, but the first smell was a bit burnt to me and it didn't lend itself well to the taste. I found this one to be a bit more burnt and bitter than I would expect from a cream stout. I was truly disappointed in it. I had extra bottles left over from the sixer I bought so I offered some friends a try and got the same response from them. Unfortunately, this is not one of the beers that will be gracing my home any time soon.

3.46/5  rDev -12.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Thick black pour creates a nice finger of coffee colored head. Great lacing.

S - Coffee and Chocolate

T - Sweet cream and chocolate followed by roasted grains and coffee. A touch of hop bitterness and alcohol on the back end adds a subtle spiciness.

M - Heavy and creamy. This one stays on the tongue.

O - Not a bad cream stout, but not in elite territory.

3.76/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured straight into pint glass, pours very dark caramel color with a thin head.

Smell isn't too obvious, subtle creamy note, reminds me of a marshmallowy scent. Also roasted malts. Besides that, pretty much a normal cream stout.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, it really is like gulping down a glass of whole milk. This feel tastes throughout until the very last moments before it goes down the hatch. Then it finishes with an alcoholic, roasted coffee bean taste.

Like the name suggests, this beer's main selling point is the creamy texture and mouthfeel that nicely contrasts with the roasted flavors that come from the malts. Not a bad beer.

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

Bell's probably has one of the greatest catalogs of good stouts of any microbrew in America, and this is my favorite Bell's Stout. It has a very strong toasty, chocolate-laced coffee flavor to it. I find it to be sweeter than Kalamazoo Stout and it has a lingering mouthfeel. I suspect Bell's sells more Kzoo Stout, but this one is far more enjoyable due to the rich flavor and the molasses-like mounthfeel.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Black and opaque. Thin ring of foam around the glass. Leaves some lacing behind as I swirl.

S: Burnt malts and caramel. A slight hint of milkiness. Not too strong or overpovering, but inviting.

T: A bit of metallic at first sip (maybe that's due to having a clear palate) leaving me with the taste of roasted coffee beans and malt. Finishes somewhat dry. As my mouth warms up to it, I can taste a bit of fruitness and alcohol in the background letting me know to watch out or this stuff could sneak up on me.

M: Not too thick, not too thin. More creaminess than the others I've tried (maybe it's the milk :-). Lets you know there's something behind this one.

D: I could put away a few of these without realizing it. But by then it'll be too late...

I Haven't had too many of this style. Seems to taste like most other stouts but a little creamier. I would revisit this one.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Received via a trade with BirdsVsWorms

A - Black with a beautiful tan head that has the awesome waterfall effect as it dissipates.

S - Coffe, Chocalate, and Vanilla. I can't wait to taste it.

T - Slightly bitter dark chocalate and burnt coffee with a pretty solid hop presence. This is very smooth and leaves the coffee and chocolate flavor on your palate long after you swallow it.

M - Full bodied with medium carbonation. Terrific mouthfeel.

D - Pretty darn drinkable. I really like this one and it is making a fine desert!

1.57/5  rDev -60.5%

Received in trade from StormKing47. Thanks Josh!
12oz poured into Allagash flute. Batch # 9513.

A: Pours a thick syrupy black with a thin dark tan head. Minimal lacing.

S: Sour milk, chocolaty malt sweetness, slight spicy hoppiness.

T: Sour milk up front then a blast of bitter roasted barley. Piny and herbal hop bitterness throughout. Finishes sticky and dry. Chocolate and coffee notes build as I drink. Not a whole lot of sweetness to me, unlike what others have mentioned.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Sticky, thick and dry.

D: Not something I would want to have again.

This one really sounded like it would be good. I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover... or, hundreds of good reviews. I don't think there was anything wrong with the beer in the way of spoilage or oxidation, but I don't understand where some people are coming from in their reviews. If I ever come across it again I will have to try it and see.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.