Bell's Special Double Cream Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

good
Read the review
Bell's Special Double Cream StoutBell's Special Double Cream Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Double Cream Stout derives its name from its smooth, creamy texture, not the ingredients. Completely dairy-free, this stout blends ten different specialty malts to yield a remarkable depth of flavor. With only a touch of burnt notes, Double Cream Stout focuses on the softer, cocoa & espresso-like aspects of roasted malt.

Added by Mitchster on 12-30-2001

Reviews: 1,419 | Ratings: 3,689
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured pitch black with a half finger tan head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cream, and slight roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, roasted malt, and cream on the followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall the flavor on this one was kind of watered-down in my opinion. The aroma on this one isn't overly great either, but decent. Just seemed to be lacking in intensity in both aspects. With that said however, it is worth trying at least once. I could imagine this being mixed with Expedition and being QUITE good. Mouthfeel on this one was kind of thin as well for my taste. While this helps the drinkability of the brew, it also hurts it overall.

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

Thought was expensive. We will see how good it is...

A- Poured nearly Black, little visibility. Nearly no head. light lace.
S- Normal nothing to get excited about.
T- very nice malt character. The label says there is ten different malts and they are blended well. Not a bad flavor! Being a cream stout, you can also taste the lactose in there.
M- Sweet, not overbearing, flavor and not too sugary.
D- I would not pay the price for this one again.

-Bye

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

seriously black in color with slight ruby highlights when held to the light. creamy full tan head of foam that subsides for the most part, but still manages to stick around. aromas of roasted oats and a dariy-like sweet cream aroma. interesting. rich and full bodied, lightly carbonated. nice roasted barley in the beginning followed by a big dollop of sweetness. the sweetness is pronounced, but not cloying in any way. finishes with more of a long burnt flavor and just a touch of leafy flavor. i don't have much experience with sweet stouts, but this one seems pretty solid. one was enough for me, however, the sweetness did sort of get to me in the end. worth a shot for sure though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle.

Pours opaque black, with a thin light brown head.

Nose is coffeeish, but smooth. Notes of baking chocolate, some roasty espresso. Light.

Flavor is licorice and coffee with a bit of cream, sweet but roasty finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, but light, with light but crisp carbonation.

3.59/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black, with a fairly weak off-white head. Nose is roasted malt, light coffee, some very mild dried fruit. Very nice nose, which doesn't quite come through in the flavor. More straight forward roasted malt, with milder fruit and chocolate in there. Body is a little weak, possibly because it's a cask brew. Overall, this one didn't really do it for me like it did in the bottle. A little simple.

Church Key/$6/16 oz

3.59/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap in a shaker pint. Oily black body with hints of brown highlights and a modest tan head that disappears in short order, leaving scattered sticky lacing.

I was interested to try this on tap after having a teeth-rottingly sweet bottle. Interest turns to confusion right away, as this smells like an entirely different beer. Rather strong roasted fresh coffee aroma with chocolate milk lingering underneath (compared to Snickers sweetness from the bottled version).

Upon first sip, confusion continues to reign. This is a much drier and roastier beer than the overwhelmingly sweet brew I had from the bottle. In fact, a hefty bitterness plus a burnt/dark roasted/tangy malt combo beat down the sweetness. Tastes pretty good, but somewhat lacking in the sweetness of a top-notch milk stout (unlike the bottled version, which was way too sweet even by the style's standards). Lingering burnt finish with the somewhat tart sweetness of chocolate chips. Lacking the residual sweetness typical of the stle.

Overall impression: Color me confused. The bottled version was crazy sweet, but the tap version is (for the style) not sweet enough. Either this beer is an entirely different animal on tap, or it was mistakenly served under this label, and was in fact a different beer altogether (maybe Kalamazoo?). It's somewhat of a puzzle rating this serving; it's certainly enjoyable, yet fails to fully satisfy the requirements of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a generous mocha head over a black body. Head recedes leaving chunky lace gripping the glass. Aromas of faint roasted malt and is that a bit of lactose?… it is “double cream stout” but hard to say if that is what I’m smelling. The flavor is rather subdued. There is mild coffee character, a bit of roasted malt, a light sweetness and perhaps a very faint trace of vinous fruit as well. The hop bitterness is similarly mild. Very full-bodied, smooth in the mouth and lightly carbonated. The finish is fairly clean with very little residual flavor or dryness.

Not my favorite beer from Bell’s. This is a fairly bland stout that isn’t necessarily bad, it just isn’t very exciting. I expected much more sweetness, but I guess if I wanted that I should have grabed a K-zoo stout (oh, right that was all gone).

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Black, with a khaki head, about 3/4 inch. Rocky and glimmery with some nice lacing remaining.

Smells like what chocolate covered raisons taste like. Good. And doesn't seem entirely unhealthy. Also good.

Malted milk ball, with an underlying roasted flavor. Lactose sweet, but a nice bittering. Whether from the hops or the roasted barley, I haven't the foggiest, but it's well rounded. No hop flavor, per se, but balanced and tasty. The raisons from the nose are more plum-like in the flavor. On further examination, some bright citrusy hop flavor comes through, albeit modestly. Scant lacing remains in the glass.

Mouthfeel is solid. Full, robust, silky smooth.

Overall, a good beer. Maybe not the big brother to the K'zoo stout, but more like it's cool cousin. The one who would buy you your first beer, and it would be this one. Maybe. Still, good solid choice for a tasty beverage.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

The bottle says 6.1% ABV. I don't know why they wouldn't just call this ''Bell's special cream stout''.

Pours very very black. Big two and a half finger head. The light brown head dissipates rather quickly leaving a thin layer on top of a black ocean of goodness.

OK, here's the one thing that turns me off about this beer: it smells terrible. The odor is of wet flour or some god awful white bread dough.

Moving on...

Tastes great. Big roasted coffee flavor with subtle chocolate malts in the background. Smooth taste. Nice to drink when it's still fairly cold.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are very nice. The 6.1% alcohol is perfect for this brew, allowing you to fully enjoy the complex roasted and coffee malt flavors.

Now, if it only smelled better...

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a dark brown with very little head.
Scent is of sweet dark malts, coffee and slight alcohol.
Taste is like the smell, sweet roasted malts with a nice dry bitter coffee finish nice, however the sweetness does tend to stick around after the bitterness.
Mouthfeel has a nice velvety, lightly carbonated feel.
This is a bit too sweet for me to drink very many, maybe one or two.

I like this beer over all, but it is a bit sweet and the sweetness sticks with you for a while. That is the only thing that really turned me off about this beer. I like their Kzoo Stout better.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Pours pretty black with a tan two finger head.

S - Loads of roasted malts. May'be some faint coffee notes. Not much else going on here.

T - Nothing really discernible about this beer. It's definitely creamy as the roasted malts meld into the somewhat sweetness.

M - Not as thick as I expected but it's got heavy enough body.

O - It's pretty much an enjoyable easy drinker.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a little bit watery looking, but it looks pitch black in the glass. Initially it looks over-carbed, with almost three fingers of foam rising up. It leaves behind some nice lacing and a respectable layer of tiny bubbles.
The smell is.. almost metallic. I actually poured the rest of the bottle into a second glass in case the first class wasn't clean (even though it had just been washed). In the second glass, it still smelled metallic, but also a bit more nutty. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'm already wondering if I got a bad bottle.
Fortunately, the taste is not metallic at all, though it definitely has a nuttiness to it, almost like peanut butter. Sweet creaminess for sure, and a bit of roasted malt. No bitterness, but also none of the coffee or chocolate notes you often get in a stout.
For the mouthfeel, you could call it creamy, but I'd say it's light and airy. A little thin, maybe, but soft and rounded.
Overall, it would be a nice stout, but that smell is off-putting. I might pick up another bottle if I can find one from a different batch and see if that makes a difference.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours pitch black with a creamy, two finger head that leaves a fine lace after a few minutes.

Smell is sweet and malty.

Taste is also sweet and malty, not really robust, decent hops balance, alcohol comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is great...thick and creamy.

Pretty drinkable, especially for a 7.5% ABV. I'd definitely do it again.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Black and opaque. Thin ring of foam around the glass. Leaves some lacing behind as I swirl.

S: Burnt malts and caramel. A slight hint of milkiness. Not too strong or overpovering, but inviting.

T: A bit of metallic at first sip (maybe that's due to having a clear palate) leaving me with the taste of roasted coffee beans and malt. Finishes somewhat dry. As my mouth warms up to it, I can taste a bit of fruitness and alcohol in the background letting me know to watch out or this stuff could sneak up on me.

M: Not too thick, not too thin. More creaminess than the others I've tried (maybe it's the milk :-). Lets you know there's something behind this one.

D: I could put away a few of these without realizing it. But by then it'll be too late...

I Haven't had too many of this style. Seems to taste like most other stouts but a little creamier. I would revisit this one.

Batch 8842

Poured into a Sam Adams Sensory Glass. Pours a 1.5 finger tan head. that dissipates to a thin layer. It left some nice lace rings down the side of the glass. Color is a deep deep brown, pretty much black.

The aroma is very robust. It reminded me a lot of Bell's porter: very smokey and malty with hints of carmel. Taste is very smokey and roasty. The beer is very malty. It seems as if the chocolate taste is burnt in this beer.

Mouthfeel is a little more bitter than I expected, after a few seconds it gets creamy and ends with a pretty clean aftertaste. Seems decently carbonated.

Overall, this is a decent beer, however I would rather get a different product for the price. I enjoyed expedition a lot more and hopslam is such a bomb. This is one of bell's more expensive products and I just don't like it enjoy to want to purchase it again. All-in-all, a great beer, just not my favorite.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Pours the color of coffee, with a thick creamy head that narrows as you drink, but still retains a half-inch head for the majority of the experience.

S - Mostly chocolate, a little roasted malt, and a slight hint of alcohol.

T - Follows the nose, mostly. I taste a lot of chocolate, light roasted malts, and cream. Though the cream is present, I expected a little more for a drink titled, "Double Cream" I'm sure it's better on a nitro-tap.

M - Smooth and creamy, but there is some carbonation in there.

O - For an out of the bottle cream stout, I thought this was pretty good. On nitro-tap, I think this beer would be a knock out. I would have also liked a little more decisiveness in the flavor...either more chocolate, or more cream. Since it's a cream stout, more cream would be great.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Another oily, rich, dark brown brew from Bells. Alomst black in color. Head was very fine, tan and short. Thinned rapidly to a miniscule layer of bubbles, with most congregating around the edge of the glass. Nose was very roasty and coffeeish, with little suggestions of any hops. Smooth on the tongue, and had a medium body, but was still hoping/expecting more here. Quite roasty and very dry. Has some creamy, choco notes with a subtle but pleasant sweetness. Floral hops, though in the background, round things out. Fairly good, overall.

Prosit!!

overall: 3.65
appearance: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Got this from Dirk at the great Filet and Vine in Montgomery Alabama...a must stop if your in the area!

Love me some Bells so I figured I'd try this Stout.

A- Deep black color with a very thin head that only lingers along the edges in a light brown ring.

S- Vanilla, moss, and a bit of wet dog.

T- Mint, bitter chocolate, leather.

M- great mouthfeel, which for those who know me is one of my favorite aspects of a beer.

D- Good daily if it weren't for the distance and the price...12.50 a sixer is way high for this beer.

I thought the "double cream" stout would be related to the flavor not the mouthfeel, unfortunately not the case. The flavor is interesting but not what I had hoped for, however, the mouthfeel is worth giving it shot.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours out a dark reddish-brown, sits very dark brown, almost completely opaque in the glass. Big, dark tan head on top that leaves some nice lace around the glass.

Smells strongly of roasted malts, and sweet cream and chocolate. Not too much on the nose, but nothing to complain about.

Tastes mainly of roasted malts, and lots of them. Some chocolatey hues and mild earthy/wooden flavors emerge, followed closely by a strong and deeply penetrating bitterness.

A strong, bold stout, with a smooth and creamy body. Great carbonation, and a big, full bodied presence. This is no weakling's beer. Good drinking, but I fear the bitterness may catch up with me; good for a stout session.

3.57/5  rDev -10.3%

Bell's special double cream stout reminds me a lot of Samuel Adams cream stout. It is good, but not really anything outstanding. It just doesnt have that extra little 'something' that I was hoping for, to push it into the realm of greatness.

A very attractive dark midnight, with small head. I found the smell the best part of this beer. Chocolatey malty sweetness.

The taste was a bit of a letdown. Like I said, its good, but not the stunner I was hoping for. I didnt find it twice as creamy as your average stout. I didnt really find it all that creamy, period. But, it is a stout, and has all the chocolate and malty characteristics you love from a good stout.

Mouthfeel was a little thin, especially for calling your beer something like "double cream."

I dont think i'd have this one again, unless it was offered to me for free. There's too many other stouts on my horizon to try.

3.57/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured a jet black with a nice amount of head. Aroma was of coffee with a subtle chocolate undertones. Something was seriously off with this beers flavor with some metallicy, sour taste in there. Coffee and chocolate struggled to overcome the off flavor. I would love to try another bottle, but unfortunately it is not really an option.

3.57/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A : Black. Black black. No hints of red. A good two finger brown head that settles to a gentle coating on top.

S : Creamy, coffee and chocolates, maybe even a bit of caramel.

T : Creamy and milky is powerful on the tastebuds, with the bits of coffee poking through. On the end, it twangs over with the lactose'y milk, and leaves the mouth dry. This isn't too sweet of a cream stout, a little weak for me, but possibly good for the usual doubter of this style.

M : Heavy. It is a stout afterall. But it settles well in the mouth, and doesn't sour.

D : It's a one glass drink for me. Makes for a good dessert brew, but doesn't draw me in.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

Review from notes, on tap @ Mad Mex.

Very dark beer, but thin and watery in consistency. Excellent tall creamy head on it, but it left no lace.

Smells roasty but pretty subdued, would have enjoyed an aroma I didn't need to work so hard for. Some coffee notes and burnt toast and heavy roast on the barley.

The flavor is very malty with lots of bitter coffee flavor. Slightly sweet milk chocolate is hidden benath the heavy malting.

Probably too carbonated, almost prickly on the palate. Tons of tiny bubbles began churning in my gut. This is a thin bodied beer, and other from the carbonation it goes down easily enough.

Drinks easily, and while not cravable, certainly a solid beer.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Oil black body with one finger oak head
Smells of coffee, cocoa, woodsmoke. A little metal and raisin
Tastes of chocolate, bitter malt, wood
Creamy medium-heavy feel with minimal carbonation
Not a very complex stout, but no big complaints

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

With a name like "Special Double Cream Stout," a expected some serious cream. I don't know what they "doubled," but this just came off like a big stout with a little less of a dry, roasted feel. No, it's not bad, there's a dark malt profile that's similar to a mocha coffee, maybe with a touch of cream. Basically it's a good stout, but I don't know if it's special.

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.