Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bell's Batch 7,000 Ale (A Commemorative Brew) | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 7,000 Ale (A Commemorative Brew)Bell's Batch 7,000 Ale (A Commemorative Brew)
4.27/5

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

12 FL OZ bottle
Served in a snifter
Bottled September 13, 2005

This beer pours like used motor oil. It is thick and viscous. I was only able to achieve a skim of head after raising my bottle over a foot above the glass. It was dark mocha colored head that disappears rapidly leaving no trace of its existence.

I get that characteristic anise smell that most of their imperial stouts seem to have. Dark chocolate is also present along with an alcohol smell.

It starts off sweet with some dark plum notes. The anise comes through in the middle and carries into the finish. There is a little black coffee near the end and hints of dark chocolate.

Very full, chewy mouthfeel

I wasn't sure what to expect out of an eleven year old beer. It was smooth and easy enough to drink. It reminds me a lot of an Expedition Stout with a couple years on it.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

There are times that I weep for what has become my backlog. I have no idea who sent this to me, or when or even why. I used to love trading, but then travel, $, time and volume overcame me. I will even venture to say that this made the move with me from my family home into Chez Woody in 2008-'09 as an indication of its age, Today may be New Beer Sunday (Week 608), but this is one OLD beer! Larry, all of the Bell's staff, the crew & attendees of the GTMW, I salute you tonight!

From the bottle: "A Commemorative Brew"; "Batch 7000 is part of our commemorative series celebrating our progress with special brews. Our 7,000th is a special recipe to be brewed only once."

I feel so unworthy of Pop!ping the cap at this point. I am up to almost 4,000 reviews on here & I know that this beer (& bottle) were sent to me for specifically this purpose, but I am humbled, I have read up & dust, cobwebs, et al are to remain undisturbed, so I have honored that tradition. I kid you not, I am really having a tough time opening this. Tears are running down my cheeks, unbidden. I have looked at it for years. Upon Pop!ping the cap, I noted a ring on the outside of the top where the oxygen-fixing cap had adhered for so long. I will be pouring this as gently as possible & only a bit at a time, so as to respect the beer, as the Alstrom Bros used to routinely exhort us. I got no head from the initial pour and even an in-glass swirl raised nothing more than a brief skim. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with ZERO light penetration. Nose was as smoky as the aftermath of the house fire in Montreal in 2002! We were up for the Mondial de la Biere & between the hotel & the Metro station was a house that had recently burnt to the ground. I was a firefighter in the US Navy, but I primarily dealt in Class Bravo fires, which is why this one remains so memorable. Accompanying the smoke were leather, dark chocolate and dried, dark fruits such as prunes, raisins, cherries & dates & figs. Phew! I raised my glass, as I am wont to do, and no less than my buddy, Kenny, appeared. Ken Longshore was a great buddy of mine who passed right after the USS Normandy's (CG-60) 25th reunion. His widow agrees that I routinely see Ken as he was a big supporter of my madness. He sits by my kitchen door wearing the bemused grin that he always had around me. I do not know whose passing hit me harder - his or my Pops, the latter of whom was the impetus for my taking early retirement. Too sappy? Sorry, but Pops visits in my dreams, while Kenny shows up to help me drink. The carbonation was gone, causing this to drape across my tongue like a lead apron or a bulletproof vest. Thick? Viscous! Jeez-o, man. Now, the late Doc Maree was patting me on the back as Kenny laughed. Beyond its prime? Perish the thought! This was bordering on coffee brandy & the fusel alcohol had barely subsided. My eyes were watering, my nose was running & my watch stopped in response to my first sip. Recovering, the taste was really leathery, with dark chocolate and anise notes as chasers as the electricity flickered & my reefer shut down. Should I have waited even longer to drink this?!? Dang, this was literally breathtaking! I am flabbergasted by how well this has held up. The dry finish had notes of anise, treacle, leather, dark chocolate, smoke & more leather just for good measure. Dang! Is my mouth supposed to hang open, unhinged? I weep, I weep. I just cannot believe how fantastic this has become. This should be my legacy, unless some other beer should unexpectedly overtake it. If Stone can re-release 02.02.02,, perhaps Bell's can recreate this. In the interim, I will simply weep for what has passed.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.11/5  rDev -27.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: deep brown; almost no head; what was there was medium brown; ended up with a thin ring around the edge of the bottle; no lacing;

S: all molasses;

T: molasses as well; there is some roasted malt in the middle , but it's muted and disappears quickly;

M; a touch syrupy; low carbonation;

O: very interesting; would have liked to have tasted this fresh and have this review be a comparison;

1.25/5  rDev -70.7%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Bell's Batch 7,000 Ale (A Commemorative Brew) from Bell's Brewery, Inc.