Bell's Wheat Love | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Wheat LoveBell's Wheat Love

Liked:
3.87/5
Alströms:

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I needed some wheat love after this past weekend's Detroit sports debacle.On tap at the Filling Station in GSO.Poured into a standard pint glass a dull hazed dark apricot color with a thinner slightly off white head atop.Aromas were very yeasty with some banana and clove-spice standing out,almost like a wheat bock.Flavors are spicy with some medicinal notes with a tinge of toasted wheat,the alcohol sweetness creeps up on you.Not bad but the yeast was a little big compared to alot of others of the style I have had.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

I picked up a bottle of Bell's Wheat Love around a week ago for $1.89 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never had this beer before, but I'm always down to try a beer from Bell's that I haven't tried before, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 9/18/13. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's not the most eye catching, but I think it looks pretty nice. It poured a nice slightly hazy bright golden color that took on an orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of thick and creamy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left tons of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malted wheat that impart a sweet malt and wheat like aroma with some nice citrus rind aromas coming through. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a nice banana and bubblegum like aroma aroma with the bubble gum really sticking out the most. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it reminds me a Hefeweizen if the intensity of the aroma was doubled.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a citrus rind flavor up front with lemon rind seeming to stick out a little more with some bready and wheat like flavors coming through. Up next comes a medium amount of yeast with banana and bubble gum seeming to show up equally with a pretty much no alcohol flavor coming through. On the finish there was a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a yeasty and wheat like aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, it has some good balance to it.

M- Pretty smooth, clean , a little crisp, on the full side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, I know there's two kind of Wheatwines, the ones that are similar to a Barleywine and there is some like this one which is more like an imperial Hefeweizen, both are nice, but i still tend to prefer the ones that are similar to Barleywines, but this is pretty good for what they i intended it to be. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, the alcohol was hidden well and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these but it may start to be a little filling after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it would be hard for me to guess that this is really 8%. What I liked the least about this beer is that it's released in the fall, it's not a bad thing, but I think this beer would fit in better if it was released in the middle of summer, I think it would be a great warm weather beer. I would buy this beer again, I might pick a couple more bottles up before it's all gone and if they released it a again I would at least get one. I would recommend this to any wheat beer fan. All in all I was happy with this beer, I thought it was a nice take on the style and it's fairly different from most Wheatwines. Good job Bell's, I like that you guys are bringing back some of your beer that haven't been made in a while and I would love to see batch 8000 or 9000 released again. Keep up the good work guys.

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. Rather bright gold pour, a little orange a little hazy. Finger of white that really retains well.

Aroma, Sharp yeast up front. Wet grain, wheat. Faint lemon zest.

Taste, Solid clove and yeast. Some caramelly malt, bannanas foster. A little more booze than should be present for 8%.

Nearly medium body, good level of carbonation. A little more warming than I would like. A double wheat, not a wheatwine. Worth trying once though.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

-Light gold, with nice cloudy wheat appearance, with medium to high carbonation.

-Smells of banana and spice, which tells me they used a hefeweizen yeast. I did not expect that. I'm not complaining, but did not catch that from the description.

-Very tasty with little to no hop flavor, and some slight residual sweetness. The yeast profile tastes more of an Americanized hefe, with a slightly more mild flavor.

-Excellent wheaty mouthfeel.

I think this one should be categorized into another beer style. I would not call it a wheatwine. More of a hefeweizen. Actually, I don't know why they wouldn't market this as a Imperial hefeweizen. This was not what I was expecting, however I enjoyed very much and would buy again. As a matter of fact, I would dare say this was one of the better American hefe's I have tasted.

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: an orangish yellow. very hazy but no sediment and a off white head about a finger tall that leaves a little bit of a lacing.

Smell: good wheat character. citrusy.

Taste: starts off with a subtle lemony bread taste. followed by a good wheaty background, shifts towards a slight banana flavor and a bit of spicy alcohol. wonderful complexity

Mouthfeel: perfectly smooth with just a bit of a warming effect. nice and full body

Overall: another killer limited release by bell's. they really need to do more special releases like this because they come out with some of my favorite beers. Great wheatwine with very german weizenbock like character

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale hazy gold with a 2-inch creamy white-to-off-white head that persists. The initial nose suggests clove, orange, and pear, with hints of yeast and hops. Nice complex bouquet. Moderately high carbonation. Sweet, approachable, and moreish palate with medium body and suggestions of sour-dough bread, banana and freshly ground Malabar pepper. Delicious. Belgian lace forms. Makes me think of Berliner Weisse, with subdued sour notes. A definite repurchase.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Bell's Wheat Love from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 75.9% out of 100 with 465 ratings