Bell's Wedding Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Wedding AleBell's Wedding Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Added by granger10 on 06-25-2006

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

750ml bottle, batch 1, bottle 99 of 203. Generously opened by Dustin at our crazy bottleshare last night. Which incidentally, is my bachelor bottleshare as I'm getting married in two weeks. So this review is mainly to acknowledge its symbolism and how generous my BA friends are.

Review #228.

Pours a hazy straw coloured body, actually looks very well carbonated with a nice, effervescent 2cm off-white head that retains quite well. Lacing is very good.

Now basically the rest of this review is going to note that this beer is 2 years old, and is a style that doesn't hold up to cellaring. It smells extremely malty without any of the other adjuncts that are on the label. Same thing for the flavour on this beer- although its rather wheaty, with a little bit of citrus zest in it. There's not a whole lot else to it, its a very unbalanced one at this point due to the pure maltiness. Mouthfeel is pretty medium bodied, a bit thick and resinous. Somewhat dry.

It's not a style meant to be cellared, but we seek these out and drink it on these rare special occasions. Thanks a lot Dustin for hosting this bottle share and bringing this one out of the cellar!

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch 1 (bottle 99 of 203). Pretty awesome. Thanks for opening this beer Dustin! Also, congrats Stevedore on the marriage thing!

Beer pours straw colored with hues of orange. Cloudy. Small head, but it was a small pour. Extra points for being a badass bottle.

Smell wasn't bad. Smells like a wit beer--malty (adjuncts), generic estery notes, orange, and coriander.

Flavor was fine. Again, very generic and not much to write about. No hop profile at this point. Some orange peel and coriander. Sweetness derived from honey, I guess. It's like a simple wit beer.

MF was actually pretty interesting. Extremely heavy and creamy. Good carb and nice finish.

No one was expecting this to be at all good, but it actually was pretty decent. Bought by Dustin as a cool wedding present. Glad I was able to try such a limited run.

3.63/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: light orangish golden color.

Smell: very bready with a little bit of citrus

Taste: citrusy with bready aftertaste. A slight amount of spice

Mouthfeel: medium to high carbonation.

Overall: It wasn't the best beer I have had but it is an will always be the most meaningful that I have had. I had a bottle on my wedding night on 09/07/13. I received two bottles as a present. I am surprised by the 7.5% ABV. I think the large amount of food from the reception soaked it up well.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at Bell's Eccentric Cafe.

Maybe I was just quickly buzzed from the few samples I had before this one, but I'd've never guessed the ABV on this one. Ever. Not only do I not feel, taste, or smell any alcohol in this, but the overall flavor and mouthfeel of this beer doesn't give me the impression that the ABV would be high at all. Hell, who knows. Maybe Bell's messed up the order of my paddle.

Anyway, enjoyable beer, but I'm not sure if I like or dislike the fact that it drinks the way it does. Wedding Ale has a bright hop nose with some wheat (smells like a light IPA to me, for what it's worth), and the taste and feel is rather mild (which is why I figured this was <5%).

Good stuff. Not my favorite, but I'm still just really surprised that this is 7.5%.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Bell's Wedding Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.