The Wild One | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The Wild OneThe Wild One
4.15/5
The Wild OneThe Wild One

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A blend of brown ale and wheat wort aged in oak wine barrels. Beer is tart with subtle Brett notes.

Added by hoppymeal on 12-08-2007

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: reddish brown. pretty good clarity. a tannish head that doesn't last long

Smell: tart, tart fruit. strong oak, vanilla, moderate funk

Taste: tart and acidic fruit starts off and dominates most of the taste. the oak notes and slightly vanilla mix in at the end. funk mixes in a bit throughout.

Mouthfeel: heavier, puckers a little

Overall: a solid and tasty sour. some taste could be stronger but this is good. a long time want for me and was glad to have it.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at Bell's Eccentric Cafe.

Man, this is a funky beer. Or maybe I should just call it wild. I'm not positive, but I think this is my first of the style. Where do I begin. I'll begin with a summary... how does that work? I'll make it work. All around, this beer is just oddly compelling. When I first smelled it I was wondering what the hell it was supposed to be, because of the yeast. Fruity garbage, almost? After a couple smells and a few sips, I actually grew to like this a lot. There's a lot of puckering, sour fruit in the flavor department, with a good amount of malt. The spicy aromatics that I pull are just... interesting. Fruity garbage with vegetable juice -- how does it work? I don't know, but it does. This is hardly something that I could have often, but I love a "different" kind of beer time-to-time, and this did it for me. I could definitely see myself bumping the scores up for this beer the next time I have it/can compare it to others of the style. Until then...

The Wild One from Bell's Brewery, Inc.