Light Hearted Ale

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Light Hearted AleLight Hearted Ale
Notes: Light Hearted is aromatic, balanced, and incredibly easy-drinking. This Lo-Cal IPA has only 110 calories, yet all the Heart. Centennial and Galaxy hops result in citrus and pine aromas, while a variety of specialty malts help give Light Hearted its body and flavor.
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 127 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

This shall be my first on/for New New Trail & Feeling Light-Hearted About Happoshu Beer Sunday (Week 784)! I am SO glad that I added it as a random CAN to fill out a mix-a-six on Wednesday at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop (FGBS) as it fills several roles, including the furtherance of The CANQuest (tm) & the awarding of an Untappd badge (which I CAN now talk about openly, given their teaming up). Happy, happy, joy, joy!

From the CAN: "Lo-Cal IPA".

I guess that I CAN add that to "SoCal" & "NoCal" from my career in the Navy, when that referred to Southern California & Northern California, respectively. I was stationed in/at both & came to understand that it was usually a derisive term. I have relatives in both, including Cousin Colby, the VP of Operations at Ballast Point & Mom-Za, who lives not far from SNBC in Chico, plus my brother who flits between LA & Orange Counties as well as staying with Mom-Za when times are tough.

Enough exposition! It was time for a Crack! of the vent, followed by a slow, gentle C-Line Glug since it was first thing in the eastern AM (0700, EST) & I did NOT want to deal with any potential messes. My efforts resulted in the formation of two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, tawny head with excellent retention. I backed down & off of my Glug towards the bottom of the CAN as I noticed some tendrils of haze creeping into the otherwise bright beer. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, enticing The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon to rouse from their hockey-overload slumber from yesterday & join me for a taste. Nose had the pungent pine of Two Hearted & now, my mouth was beginning to water! Yum. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was almost to Two Hearted intensity, very pine-y & very tasty. Yum. Also, the CAN marks it as an IPA (AIPA) so I am reviewing it as such & submitting a ChANge request when I am finished. This REALLY makes me want to score CANother CAN of this & either a bottle of CAN of Two Hearted & do a side-by-side CANparison! I really do not think that there is going to be much of a perceptible difference. Finish was cool, minty & dry, just like my beloved Two Hearted. Yum! YMMV.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

Had this on tap with another friend. Love regular Two Hearted, but this one is very light. We both agreed that there is no way we would purchase this over all day IPA.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had no idea what to expect here so saying those expectations were met/exceeded would be a lie. a few little lies aren't so bad though. came out a lighter shade of orange/honey, pretty clear and a big ol frothy white head. beautiful lacing stuck onto the glass. nose was quite on the money with this just being baby two hearted, lots of grapefruit, lemon peel and semi-sweet maltiness. sort of subtle but still pops, there's no big surprises here, just a solid and welcoming aroma. going in for a sip, it's immediately light in the flavor department, vanishing from the palate rather quickly. Grapefruit, lemon peel, a bit of pine and a big smack of cracker/bread malts with a touch of caramel or honey, all following through one another and then leaving you with nothing but a very distant lingering spice/bitterness. Very crisp, very refreshing and obviously light while still being quite flavorful. mostly hope to find these fresh here come swimming season because they'd make a great beer for that.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Poured a pale, golden orange color with a small, white head of foam. It smelled of citrus, pine and toasted caramel. Sweet caramel with a mild bitter taste.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

12 oz can poured into a tulip pint.

Appearance
Golden blonde. Good clarity. Light carbonation. Creamy white head.

Nose
Honeydew, honey, papaya, pine, and grapefruit.

Taste
Honeydew, grapefruit zest, papaya, and light pine. Honey sweetness with a touch of biscuit.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, clean, effervescent, off-dry, and lightly bitter.

Overall
A tasty Session IPA great for a hot summer day.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Association with Two Hearted may be bringing this beer down score-wise, but at the same time I might not have bought it otherwise. It would be almost impossible task to even get half of the way to the greatness of Two Hearted, and Light Hearted doesn't do it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a solid low-cal low-ABV IPA option.

The aroma is promising, a little pine-y, a little citrus-y, you could even smell the malt in there. The flavor follows the aroma well, but then the whole thing drops into watery lightness. The flavor starts to feel like a façade after a while. It's not Bell's fault though, I think that's pretty inevitable with a beer this toned down.

Overall, this rests somewhere towards the top of the session IPA pack, but I wouldn't put it in the top 10. It's good, but I likely wouldn't get it again unless it came in 12 packs at a lower price point.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 2/4/20 .

Translucent orangey-gold with moderate, fine white head, that lasted surprisingly long, leaving 1/4 ring, 90% single-layer coverage, and a thin spotty ring of lacing. Pretty impressive for a 3.7% ale.

Smell is light fresh bread, and light vaguely fruity aroma.Rather muted, but what's there is pleasant.
(Had a chocolate,vanilla,coconut porter about 3/4 hour ago, so may have to revisit.)

Taste is grapefruit, orange rind, light touch of pine , and finishing with a barely-there bread crust flavor, that lingers a bit with the moderate grapefruit-pith bitterness.

Feel is light but not watery, with a nice balance between lightly creamy and lightly prickly.

Overall enjoyable, & I can see getting this on a regular basis, especially in warm weather.The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
There's no mistaking this for Two-Hearted, but it doesn't have to be that , IMHO. Fine in its own right, just realize what it is.

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Surprised to see this at my neighborhood bottle shop and had to give it a go as Two Hearted is a Top 5 beer in my house. Also package date 1/27/20 excited me. Initial look (pale yellow) and faint hop smell started to bring me down to earth and lower my expectations. But a robust head and excellent hop flavor (Centennial!) perked things right back up. As would be expected, mouthfeel was thin (suitable for pounding). I don't drink a lot of session IPA's, but I would give this one an edge over what I have had in the category. Could be real good as an early day lunch accompaniment or hair of the puppy.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

For my 2000th rating on here I'm glad it was something from Bell's. I'll chalk this up as the best of low calorie IPA's I've had thus far. Piney, citrusy, and bitter, with a caramel malt backbone. Light on the mouthfeel but that's to be expected. It's no two hearted, but what it is I like.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.21/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

3.47/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent honey color with 2 fingers of pearl colored head. Very good lacing & good head retention

S: Bready, grassy hints of orange blossom, fades as this warms

T: Light orange notes, grassyness, a little dry grainyness up front. Grassy, dry & a little lemon . Finishes dry & grassy with a little sour orange

MF: Light body, fairly firm carbonation, alright balance

Not bad, but I just need for body & flavor, might work better on a HOT July day

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz can, PKG 012920. Copper colored body with a slight haze; frothy off-white head. Fruity aroma with citrus and pine - very reminiscent of Two Hearted. Lighter flavors that its big brother, but still very enjoyable with notes of orange & grapefruit citrus, piney mango, and light caramel. Very light body as expected, moderate carbonation, modestly bitter finish. Most days I'd rather have Two Hearted, but this may come in handy this summer by the pool.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store