Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Smitten Golden Rye Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Smitten Golden Rye AleSmitten Golden Rye Ale
3.68/5
Good
Smitten Golden Rye AleSmitten Golden Rye Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Spring

Drawn from one of our oldest recipes, Smitten Ale began as part of a series of rye beers at our Eccentric Café. The combination of sharp citrus & resinous flavors from the hops with the earthy, rustic overtones of the rye malt contribution yield an interesting take on the American Pale Ale.

Added by Biggness on 06-14-2008

Ratings: 1,788 |  Reviews: 330
3.22/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From a bottle, pours as clear yellow with a thin white head. Aromas are subtle with hops and an indistinct citrus. Crisp hops with a spicy twang is forefront with a sweet grassy malt. Good carbonation, crisp refreshing... nice Summer beer.

3.64/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy golden orange with a 2.5 finger, creamy off white head. Retention is very good and there are sticky rings of lacing left all over the glass.

Smell is floral, citrus, earthy and sharp rye flavor.

Taste is similar, but the rye really overpowers the hop flavors. There is also a hint of bready malts.

Feel is medium, slightly sticky and very well carbonated.

Overall this beer is decent. I'm not huge on rye beers, and like most others I've had the rye really takes over.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Great packaging. Definitely attracted me and looked like a great beer for spring. Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Nice head and Amber color. The smell and taste of rye is not my favorite. To me it overwhelms the fruit and hop taste. I like the idea of this beer more than the taste. Still nice for a change of pace. I won't rush to pick up more but glad I tried it.

4.41/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Just having my first one of these, very nice, let it sit and pour it and let it sit, the flavors really work for me, the bitterness and dryness and ryeness are very well-done and enjoyably present. The rye malt flavor, along with the yeast properties, knocks you right out and up. . combines well with music and weed and lesser and better beer. this is so good. a great gold pale ale. A revelation. reminds me ova ok dry-hopped blonde ale, but really good. notes of pbr. strong affinity.

3.89/5  rDev +5.7%

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle dated 1/16/17. DFH Tulip.

A: pours a dark gold with tons of haze and sentiment. One finger frothy white head and little visible carbonation. This is an appropriate time to note that I love the bottle cap on this, with its single petaled daisy. Lacing is great.

S: smells like a hoppy pale ale, alright. There is a smell there that I used to attribute to hops that now I can properly identify as rye. I wouldn't call it spicy, per se, but I would say it smells like rye. Not really a fruity hop nose at all; floral and grainy rye with an underlying sweetness.

T: arrives dry, but bready. There is an underlying citrusy fruitiness and a solid malt backbone. Hoppiness pervades the entire experience. There is a lingering bitterness that I can only attribute to the rye.

M: solidly medium bodied with more carbonation than the appearance lets on; ale fluffiness.

O: I generally don't like rye beers, but I wanted to give this a try, and I'm glad I did. It is a hoppy new-age pale ale with a distinctly rye character and fuller body than most others. I like it, though I am more partial to the more traditional style pale ales. Probably the easiest drinking rye beer I've had.

4.19/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass, bottled 01/10/2017. Pours a clear, deep golden with 1/2 finger of head. Smell is citrus and pine notes with baked bread. Taste is a balance between spicy rye notes and citrus hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium with a lingering dryness in the finish. This is a fantastic pale ale where the rye gives a good level of complexity but doesn't overwhelm.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Semi-opaque golden hue, thinner head and decent carbonation. Aroma has lots of spicey rye malt with a little bit of grassy hops underneath. Taste is similar but a more pronounced hop bitterness, medium pine to compliment the rye. Pretty straightforward but well done.

3.96/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into Stange Glass. Bottled on January 2nd 2017.

L: Pale straw gold with particulate. Two finger white head with good retention and some spotted lacing.

S: Citrus and floral hops with some pine presence. Notes of rye bread as well.

T: Follows the nose closer however the Pine presence is a little more pronounced. Well balanced, the rye malt is delectable. Really tasty and the tastiest Rye Beer I have ever had.

F: Light bodied, crisp with the typical rye prickly feeling on the tongue.

O: I was excited to try this because I love Bell's and I haven't had a lot of Rye Beers and it was really excellent.

3.64/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

Smitten Golden Rye Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.68 out of 5 with 1,788 ratings