Bell's Christmas Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

good

Ratings: 1,714 |  Reviews: 531

4.87/5  rDev +36%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +34.6%

Ok, I'm a big fan of Bell's so I came in assuming I would already love it. For a Scotch, it's a little weaker than I would prefer, but regardless I really enjoyed this brew and went back for more.

My favorite beer appearance is a reddish/golden look and this matches up perfectly. Nice froth on the poor, not too much lace left behind, and an excellent ale aroma. A nice beer that tastes like a beer, something I'm always looking for.

4.79/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is a beautiful brown to red color with a finger length head. Smell- I can smell beautiful types of fruit, some honey, some wheat. Just a beautiful smell I really love the smell of this beer. Taste- So I have to be honest. I am from Cleveland Ohio and I am going to college in Michigan and very upset because Great Lakes Brewing Company's Christmas ale just came out in Cleveland and I can't get it in Michigan so I saw this at the store and said I'd give it a try not expecting much. I'm shocked. It's great! It starts with a hoppy like honey taste and finishes with a beautifully smooth yet strong cinnamon taste. I think it competes hard with Great Lakes Christmas Ale the only thing I don't like as much about it as it is only 5.5 abv and Great lakes is 7.5% abv. Other than that I'm loving this beer. This is my second beer by Bell's and I'm loving this brewer. Mouth feel- the moth feel is exactly what it should be for this type of beer. I is easy to drink and smooth but has a perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is great and makes being away from my hometown of Cleveland and away from my Great Lakes Christmas Ale a little bit easier. Just a Great Beer. A Must Try! Just to say though I think my rating might be a bit higher because it totally surpassed my expectations.

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

I couldn’t stop raving about this. Wow.

It pours a light auburn color, almost like a dark blood orange tint. It’s lightly hopped with a bit of citrus and a touch of pine to it. Not a hoppy beer but I’m wondering if the hops are more forward with a fresh batch (bottled in October, purchased/drunk on Christmas Eve)? Regardless it was still great. I picked up some sweet cherry notes, a light maltiness that held up, and just a fantastic pleasing finish as well. What a treat.

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

A VERY good session ale. Malty, but well balanced. Just a very wholesome flavor that screams QUALITY!!! ...Not sure I'd call it a Scottish Ale though.

4.7/5  rDev +31.3%

Poured into a bells pint glass.

Clear copper with a hue of ruby red with a one inch tight head and ample lace.

Smells of blended malts, honey and cinnamon with a nice spicey hop variety.

I agree with this categorized as a Scottish Ale; the flavor profile is VERY malt driven. I am very impressed at they way they utilized the malts to create such a unique and satisfying elixir in coordination with the hop variety both local Michigan hops and Pacific coast. It is hard to explain how perfect this beer is.... I love it!
Rich caramel and munich malts, cara-vienna and crisp marris otter blended with fresh wet hops locally grown and blended with possibly Warrior or yakima magnum gives it a nice alpla bite. THis stuff kicks ass!

Easy as hell to drink!

Buy a case and share with friends and family!

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearance: Pure tan. Fizzy white head bubbles down to a wispy but present lacing on top of the beer and around the edge of the glass. Slight reddish tint to the beer. Somewhat cloudy, active carbonation.

Smell: Wheaty...cloves, raisins...just a touch of caramel in the malt, maybe. Very pure, a great smelling Scottish ale!

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mmm, very mellow, low (but present) bitterness, warmth from the alcohol, sweet bread or raisin bread, a great beer to chew for a moment. Cloves in the aftertaste. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It deserves a 5, in my book. Very tasty, not overly estery, not cloying, not weighed down in malt but not empty-bodied either. Perfect.

I love Scottish ales, and this is a good example by an American brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Bell's Christmas Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.