Oarsman Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Kettle-soured wheat ale.

First brewed in 2008 at our original brewery in downtown Kalamazoo, Oarsman Ale grew out of our desire to explore the tradition of session beers and to create a unique, flavorful experience for everyone, no matter what the occasion.

Tart and refreshing, this sessionable, bright Wheat Ale exudes citrus and lemony aromas from Cascade hops and trades sour intensity for finesse. A perfect companion for any occasion, Oarsman Ale is a beer based in tradition, but with that distinctive Bell’s twist.

A perfect beer to compliment any menu.

Added by Thorpe429 on 04-12-2009

Ratings: 2,292 |  Reviews: 643
3.99/5  rDev +13%

3.91/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance:
Pale straw, cloudy with some particles floating. Medium-high carbonation. Thick bright white head.

Aroma:
Very crisp and clean, zesty, sourness.

Taste/Finish/Body:
Tartness up front, bright, zesty, lemony. Pale malt, a little grainy. Green grape skin towards the end. Finish is crisp and dry. Light bodied, a little crewy, crisp, refreshing, tangy, sharp carbonation, super drinkable.

Overall:
It's a very nice Berliner Weissbier.

2.56/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

05/27/15
Bottle to glass. Appearance. Light yellow. Minimal head. Aroma is barley, light hops. Palate is a touch flat. Taste has a touch of sour Apple which I am not sure whether or not helps. Interesting and somewhat pleasant but nothing special. Liking more as I go.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly hazy straw colored pour with a small and airy white head. Aroma of yeast and light barnyard funk. Taste has a more grain than tart with yeast and wheat standing out backed by a slight lemony tartness. Light bodied.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.72/5  rDev -22.9%

Served on tap. Not impressed. Little flavor or sourness. Would not recommend.

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

3.86/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at the Angels Trumpet, Phoenix AZ.

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly opaque straw color with thick head that thins to a lace around the edge. Has wheat like aromas with hints of tart citrus. Really smooth going down, but citrus and tart. My first Berliner Weissbier and rather enjoy the tartness. Would recommend.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

4.41/5  rDev +24.9%

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I find it interesting that I have not reviewed this beer before now. It may have something to do with the fact that Larry only recently CANsented to having it CANned in support of The CANQuest (tm). Yep, I got it in a CAN!

From the CAN: "A refreshingly tart wheat ale with bright, citrusy aromas. Great for you and your crew."

Wow! a Berliner Weisse & me without any woodruff or raspberry syrup on hand. I remember when Brandon Greenwood of Nodding Head was the first American brewer to make it and I tried it with each syrup before abandoning such trifles, opting for it straight. I'm taking it straight today, also.

At long last, a Crack! & inverted Glug to get things started! I loved watching as the head came rushing up, forcing me to back off and down. I wound up with two-plus fingers of foamy, rocky, bone-white head with decent retention as a result. It looked like meringue atop a lemon pie. Why? Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). That distinct sharp, tartness of the nose is due to a lactobacillus culture being used & I will readily admit to having had to look it up. I recently walked out of a local beer bar when one of their servers again demonstrated her profound lack of knowledge & was trying to give ME misinformation. Grrr. The nose had a lemony tartness that was already causing my lips to slightly pucker in response. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. It was not as tart in its taste as the nose had led me to expect, though. I would venture that even a novice could handle this without syrup(s). I wonder if Bell's has dialed this down to make it more palatable to the general CANsumer. I certainly agree that it is a refreshing beer and the lemony flavor reminds me of Fanta Lemon which I discovered on my first overseas deployment to the Mediterranean Sea. It made for a great mixer with Tanqueray Gin & I now wonder how this might mix with some Tanqueray. Finish was dry, citrusy and tart and I would have it no other way (except maybe a little more tart).

As it happened, I had some Tanqueray left over from another recent experiment & poured some into the remaining Oarsman Ale. Dry gin on top of tart = gaspingly dry! Phew. Deep breaths. It also brought out the gin's distinct juniper flavor while cutting some of the beer's tartness. This is an experiment to which I want to return. I am sure that there is a sweet spot as far as ratios & I am willing to try to find it in the name of science. I will report back when I do so.

2.93/5  rDev -17%