The Oracle | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Our take on the West Coast-style Double India Pale Ale, The Oracle places hop intensity first and foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt and balance.

The fireworks start with the aromatic punch of dry-hop sessions with hop varieties from the Pacific Northwest. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Reviews: 782 | Ratings: 2,696
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Starts juicy and explosive but finishes oh so bitter an offensively sappy and spicy pine resin stuck to all four sides of your tongue. I'll pass on buying this again, it's far too bipolar for my taste.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

This is not a purchase I had intended to make. To be honest, I didn’t even know Bell’s made a DIPA. But the amazing Dave (backfat) of Village Bottle Shoppe #2 let me in on the secret stash. Thanks dude!

I love a fresh IPA: this one was bottled about a month before the date of this tasting (“PKGD 8/12/11”).

A: Perfect, in every single way. The body is an incredible, shining burnt-orange; I’ve seen stained glass less vibrant than this. Adorning the top of this body is an off-white head, super-bubbly with silky cream beneath. Lacing runs webs of foam over ever part of my glass. Just superb.

S: Great pungent hoppiness, but not without a warm malt balance. Mango, grapefruit and a resin flower scent, telltale signs of Amarillo hops, pour over the body. There’s an aroma of sugary orange candy, mingling through the nose with the hoppy tones; it’s especially sweet, but still probably a product of the hops. Malts come out in an earthy, spiced, and bready way – a pumpkin-esque smell. This nose is bold, sugary, and just downright juicy! Very nice!

T: Powerful, but in a…different way. There’s an underlying richness of caramel malts and a savory spiciness that’s ever-present, but they’re easily trumped by the hopsplosion that is the rest of the palate. With a prickly intensity, fresh, fruity bitters make their way across my tongue; spiced apple, pine, and ruby red grapefruit all burst onto the scene with a mouth-puckering explosion. I would really only be able to explain the intensity of these hops to someone who has had fresh Ruination – so bitter it takes you by surprise, even with a DIPA. The aftertaste is, as expected, an incredibly dry experience, with a hint of booze that’s most apparent in your nose (like horseradish). I think I’d like this beer with a few months on it…give the palate some time to calm down a bit.

M: Very light for a beer with high (10%) alcohol content. The astringency is indeed palpable, but not uninvitingly so.

O: Damn, this beer is strong! I don’t think I’ve ever come across a brewery that could put this much flavor into a 10% ABV brew. And though I do like the flavors, the pungency of the whole thing just puts me off sometimes. It’s great beer, though, and I’m so glad Dave gave me a heads-up. Time to get another bottle to put some age on!

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on date of 07/10/15. I was extremely surprised to come across the last six pack of this at a local shop, as I've never been able to get my hands on a single bottle.

A- Pours a very nice looking cloudy orange color with a fair amount of white head which hangs around awhile.

S- Not as aromatic as I would expect, but some decent hints of pine on the nose.

T- Tons of piney resin character on the initial taste. I really don't get much citrus that some other reviews note. The back end of the taste leaves some heavy notes of caramel malts.

M- Medium bodied, very hoppy and bitter, alcohol is noticeable at 10% ABV. Leaves a rather dry finish.

Very nice sipping DIPA, and pleased that I got to try it. A bit pricey, but expected at a higher ABV.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

I poured my 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. I poured down the center of the glass and got a towering, offwhite, foamy head. Large deposits foam form beautiful lacing as I consume this ber. It is a deep amber color.

I smell citrus and pine.

I taste grapefruit with some alcohol burn followed by a bitter pine aftertaste.

I think the mouthfeel is perfect. It is medium bodied.

I'm not a huge IPA of DIPA fan, but this is exactly the change of pace that I look for when I stray from my porters and stouts. The aromas and flavors are wonderful.

Cheers!

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

I poured this one into a New Belgium snifter. It poured auburn in color with a one inch white head and good carbonation. The smell was strong of floral hoppyness, similar to that of a wet hopped beer. The taste was pretty stellar. It wasn't too heavy in any particular direction. It had a nice balance of hops, sweetness, bitterness, and alcohol. It drank very well and much smoother than I expected. It smells more of the 10.4% than it tastes. Overall I'd say this is definitely worth trying. I tried an Arctic Panzerwolf yesterday and I actually liked this one more, if that provides a good enough comparison.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Had a chance to obtain a few bottles of this and tried it for the first time alongside Mars. I wanted to get a good side by side comparison of two DIPAs from Bells.

Although this was a solid DIPA, I did not like this as much as many of the other great DIPAs out there and even side by side with Mars, it did not stack up to another similar beer from the same brewery.

I thought the beer had a slightly harsh alcoholic burn. Part of me thinks this beer could actually mellow out and develop nicely with some age but that is always a tricky proposition with a Double IPA.

Glad I got to try this beer but not one of my favorites.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

From batch #9901. I've been drinking a lot of DIPA's lately, of the top quality variety, and I have to say that this tastes like the rest. I wish I could say I see the reason why Oedipus is going to poke out his eyes or something. But it's just... normal. Normal for great, that is.

Appearance is a murky amber, low head on initial pour, but impressive lacing throughout the drink. The smell is great - piney, floral, bit of citrus and caramel. Taste is solid. Hops forward and strong, bit of malts there, boozy finish that takes away from its strengths.

Mouthfeel is great with a medium body and a little carbonation, but the drinkability is a bit low for me. Too boozy. Even for when I have homework due.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Another great beer enjoyed at The Bavarian Lodge.

Pours a transparent orange color and has an inch of of white head. Tons of fluffy, sticky lace clings to the glass.

The nose has earthy, herbal hop notes and some grapefruit. A bit of garlic smelling hops. Light booze.

The taste is bitter and sweet while working well with one another. The hops are consisting of citrus and light garlic while a rich caramel sweetness rounds it off.

The mouthfeel is creamy and bitter, leaving a dry finish. Medium bodied.

Overall, this was a memorable DIPA. Drinkable and damn tasty.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Joey for sharing this one at La Bella this past Tuesday night.

Pours a light amber hue with an inch of foam that leaves some lacing on the sides.

Instantly I'm greeted with tropical citrus fruits, mango, soft orange, peach, and hints of caramel malts in the background. A bit of a sweet orange candy-like aroma is noticeable from time to time. Nice hop profile.

On first sip I get a citrus hoppiness flavor upfront with caramel notes following close-by. The flavor continues with some bitter toast mid-palate and a mellowing bitterness in the end. Tastes a tad grassy and earthy in the finish. The carbonation is on the high side with this one but it's very creamy and with a nice dryness in the finish. Very easy to drink and quite enjoyable, could hardly tell this was such a high abv. beer.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz bottle served in a tulip glass. Bottled on 07/05/15. Thanks to Belmont Party Supply in Dayton for one of the staff giving me this one as an exchange when I came by and they were out of what I was looking for. As always - a great bottle store!

Appearance: Cloudy orange-amber with a thin white head and lots of fine lacing all over the glass. The cloudiness glows a bit when held up the light.

Smell: When first poured - a lot of orange citrus. A few minutes after the pour, there is fresh cut grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruit, and just a hint of something floral. As it warmed up with a swirl I think I get a hint of Simcoe hops, but it is quick and fleeting - hard to say.

Taste: Nicely hoppy and bitter from start to finish, but with some nice malt to back everything. Hops are grapefruit citrus, pine, leafy bitterness. Malt is lightly caramelized and bready at the same time mixed up among the hops. The bitterness at the end is strongly lingering with more of the leafy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth and nicely thick. Just there carbonation. Quite sticky on the teeth with all the hop oils.

Overall / Drinkability: A slow sipping hop bomb of a beer. Did I discover all as the Oracle hinted? Well, no, but I did find a hop-forward DIPA worth enjoying. Because it is so strongly bitter, one is enough per evening for me.

Bottle dated 8/8/13 - exactly 8 days ago.. Mega Fresh

A: Pours a dark orange, somewhat cloudy body. Appears heavily carbonated. Fizzy head builds up and leaves great lacing. Good retention of a thin, bubbly layer at the top of the glass.

S: Piney, dank, loads of mango, pineapple, and grapefruit citrus.

T: Pinecones and strong hops upfront. Grapefruit bitterness dominates the back end. Its very bitter and lingers. Not nearly any sweetness that the nose suggests. A hefty alcohol note warms you up as it goes into the stomach.

M: Fully body. Prickly. Boozy. Bitey.

O: Overall a very solid beer. The hops are really present and there is loads of pine and citrusy bitterness. The nose had me thinking it would be a bit more complex on the palate. I'm not disappointed, but I wouldn't be far off to say that I potentially expected a bit more from this one - partially because of the extreme limited amount distributed out and the hype surrounding it, which ultimately led to a crazy chase. It's a really solid brew, and I'd love to have a fresh one every season, but it didn't stick out enough for me to drive all around town trying to find a single 12oz bottle again. All that said, it's worth trying for sure ;)

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Comes in a darker orange color, amber, auburn, 1/2" soft off white head, some chunkies in the beer. Aroma had a sweet pineapple all over it. A little bit of warming alcohol for you.

Taste was the most pineapple I had ever come across in a beer. Before there was pineapple Sculpin, this was the biggest driver of pineapple in a beer. Lots of tropical fruit feels, on the sweet end, plenty of caramel malt impact on this one too. Big beer that does relatively well at hiding its strength.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Got to say thanks to Jaimie (cabgoddess) for hooking me up with this bottle. She pulled it from the back when I came in for the Nemesis that she'd reserved for me. For only $2.99 a bottle I was very happy to have this little surprise added in!

Looks very cloudy, deep amber, golden yellow around the edges/bottom of my kolsch glass (yeah, it was the best glass I had clean). Tiny head (maybe 2mm white bubbles), and it leaves a sticky ring of lace around the top of the glass.

Smells of pineapple. I mean... big, bright, fresh-cut, citrussy sweet pineapple. I always see people use that was a descriptor in IPAs and such, and sometimes I kind of get it, but this is the first beer where within my first whiff I immediately said, that smells exactly like pineapple! Sooo lovely. There are some pleasant and restrained hop notes, all cirtussy, sweet hops.

The flavor is sweet and clean. Lots of fresh tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, orange. Nice hop bitterness on the end making it slightly dry and cloying. Well balanced and flavorful. The aftertaste is of alcohol... if this were toned down to something like 8.5% this might be my favorite DIPA (or at least worth sessioning regularly).

Mouthfeel is light, almost syrupy sweetness that clings to the mouth. Lots of alcohol burn all the way down the throat. You are then left with a sweet salivation feeling in the back of the palate.

Drinkability is average for a high abv version of this style I guess. One bottle is enough for me. I would certainly be happy to have another tomorrow though! Overall I'm pretty impressed, my biggest issue is the seemingly needless high abv.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Quite pleased to luckily come across a bottle of this as my usual haunts sold out pretty quickly. Review is from notes taken on 9/7/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a near perfect honey/copper color; starts with a big billowy 2 finger off-white head that becomes softly pock marked as it slowly fades; body is slightly clouded and hazy and shows moderately strong carbonation; a pretty thick coating of lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Holy shizznit -- tons of hops of the pine, grapefruit and sweeter pineapple varieties; a definite presence of thick syrupy maltiness lingers in the nose to provide some balance to the huge bitter blast; slight presence of alcohol in the nose as well, but at 10.4%, more than expected. I really appreciate and enjoy the super robust nature of the nose here.

Taste: Oh my - all bitter hops right up front and they piney and grassy -- really none of the sweetness from the pineapple-like scents that were picked up in the nose; hops are so prevalent that they're even spicy; there is an ever-so-slight taste of maltiness, but it too is swallowed by yet more hops; definite presence of alcohol as well. I really feel that this beer would be better with some age for especially bitter presence to mellow a bit and allow some of the malts to shine through for balance.

Mouthfeel: Mouth is creamy and smooth with a body that is medium in weight; carbonation is present, but soft and fitting of the body; a thick sticky coating is left all over the mouth and the gums are left tingly and the belly is left especially warm.

Drinkability: Moderate at best -- the bitterness is a bit extreme, even for me, and could use some time to find some balance; the alcohol is also considerably high and would need to be drank in strong moderation.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle to snifter. Look is light orange and clear. Smell is spicy and citrus, plenty of alcohol esters as it warms. Taste is aggressive bitter up front, decent linger, hops more on the dank an earthy side. Malt balances, but bitter is the powerhouse here (in a good way). Feel is thin initially, but a very boozy back end. 10% is tough to hide. Overall a very good effort. I will keep an eye out for the next time it rotates through.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

The beer was sold in singles.

I poured this and got a rather cloudy orange brew with a good head and lacing. Nice hoppy nose.

Taste is quite intense hops but not unbalanced. The finish is the most intense. Quite enjoyable. I don't mind the intensity and this is 10% so a good buzz too.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to Floydster for sending one of these my way. I realize this is not optimally fresh, but it should still be ok.

Pours a very seductive murky orange with a stark white pillowy head that retains extraordinarily well and leaves optimal lacing.

Nose is full of west coast hop resin, grapefruit, citrus, pine, with a lingering malt sweetness lurking in the background.

Hmmm. I don't know if this is just slightly too old or what, but it tastes like it has just a touch more age on it than i thought. There is still some nice bitter hop presence, and the resinous hop flavor is trying hard to hang on, but the malt sweetness quickly becomes slightly dominant. Sweet bready malt profile. The finish brings alot of bitterness, but again the hop flavor is more subdued than it should be to balance out the malt sweetness. The aftertaste lingers with some really dry hop bitterness and malt stick.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, but it is a tiny touch thick, but still quite dry. Carbonation is about where you'd want it, maybe just a tiny tad low.

Drinkability is good, but would be better if the bitterness was kept in check by some good resinous flavor (which it may have been a month ago). As far as the abv, i dont know what it is so i can't really say, but it seems like about 9%

Overall, an enjoyable beverage, but a bit of a mess at this point. It is certainly still hanging on to its bitterness, but there is not enough hop flavor to make the bitterness worthwhile. The malt profile would be ideal if there was some resinous hop profile to balance it out, but as it sits it appears to strongly in the taste, but not by much. I would be willing to bet this is a shadow of its former self, and this is yet another Bell's DIPA that ages way too quickly. Maybe could have compared to the standard west coast offerings at one point, but as it sits now its just too messy. Hopslam remains my favorite bells hop bomb, assuming, like all Bell's (apparently), its less than 6 weeks old. A nice beer all the same.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Fresh batch. Poured at fridge temperature into my Bell's tulip glass.

A: Reddish/gold hue with foamy white head. Good lacing.

S: Wonderful hoppy overtones.

T: Bitter hops gives way to citrus and floral notes.

M: Medium body with a refreshing amount of carbonation.

O: This one is among the elite. If the folks in Cali had access to this they would see it can compete with any of the big dogs.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a lightly murky hazy golden orange mixture sporting a nice fluffy two finger cream colored head. Loads of lace left down my glass, nice looking brew.

Aroma is nice sweet tropical fruits, pineapple, mango, light grapefruit rounded out by pine hints. All this hop goodness floating on a caramel malt base just underneath it all adding to the tropical sweet goodness.

Taste is not quite like the nose not as tropical nor as inviting. caramel malt base biting bitter grapefruit, a touch of orange sweetness. Finish is just lingering grapefruit citrus bitterness mixed with some big grassy notes and hints of pine resin. The more I drink the more I wish it was sweeter then bitter like the nose. I know its a I2PA but was expecting more fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is big medium fairly mellow carbonation with a burst at the end.

Overall wonderful nose might of messed with my taste as lots of I2PA's are just hop bombs. But sadly don't see me purchasing this one again unless its just to sniff it.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

pours a beautiful peach/amber color with a staying 1 finger head it has a beige ring and head with clinging lacing..its perfect..smell is tropical fruit with malts and citrus hops it permeates the palate..taste is the same as smell.. it mango,grapefruit,citrus and hops all put into a delicious dipa..mouth feel is medium very good 10% abv hidden with all aspects of a good dipa present , but this is alas a top 2nd tier dipa its very good but not great.. its lacking in the tropical and hops explosion that puts it in the A+ range ..oh its good but again it takes backseat to one of its own..hopslam,,still it is a must try and a very good one..highly recommended

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A- 12 oz. bottle decanted into a pint glass unveils a bright, exceptionally clear copper colored brew. Two fingers of eggshell white head sit atop leaving behind thick sheets of lacing. Good head retention.

S- A mixture of floral and citrusy hops. There's even *gasp* a hint of caramel malts. Very strange for a DIPA. It's actually quite well balanced, and the alcohol doesn't really show up either.

T- Very well balanced also. Good mix of citrusy hops and caramel and toffee malts. I'm not really sure if it's supposed tob e balanced though. This is actually the most malt-centric DIPA I've ever had.

M- Smooth, good carbonation, medium body. A bit oily.

D- Pretty good. Gladly, the alcohol doesn't really show up and makes it an easy drinker. I think HopSlam is a better DIPA from Bell's, but this one is good in it's own way.

Sampled December 2009; Batch 9306
A solid, but not overly aggressive pour causes my 25cl tulip glass to foam over. I end up with three-fingers of lightly tan / amber colored head. The beer is a rich, copper - amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, deep copper color when held up to the light. The head is thick with hops and has quite a bit of staying powerr and leaves a nice thick layer of lace on the sides of my glass. Sticky up fron malt notes are framed by a solid, enticing, biscuit-like maltiness. Candied grapefruit zest, tangelo and nice lychee, lemon and even something that is a touch like urea aromatics play a prominent role, but the malt plays a fairly large role here as well (at least it does after a couple months of sitting in the bottle). This has quite an enjoyable nose, and I really like the clean, expressive malt character that is noticeable underneath the hop notes.

As this hits my tongue it is creamy feeling with a hint of diacetyl that is not really distracting in my first sip. A firm, gripping, herbal bitterness becomes more and more noticeable as the beer moves across my tongue. An herbal, essential-hemp oil flavor mixes what I thought was diacetyl, but really seems to be a hop derived flavor. In fact this definitely has a dank quality to it. The herbal hop notes play the lead role, but lots of fragrant citrus / fruit hop notes are found here as well; tangelo oil mixes with grapefruit zest, lychee and piquant tropical fruit notes are all quite noticeable. The malt plays a clearly supporting role here (even more so than in the nose), but still provides a structured biscuit like maltiness, some clean caramelized malt sugars, and a nice whole grain bread like sweetness. This has perhaps just a touch too much body to strike the perfect quaffability I prefer in a DIPA, but it is close enough; light enough to be drinkable, but it does have some sticky palate heft to it. The hop character provides a nice spiciness to this beer that is at times peppery, definitely a touch earthy, but really mostly nicely herbal.

This is quite a nicely "balanced" DIPA at this point. I like the mix of "hemp"-like and fruity hop notes found in this beer. The biting bitterness and bright malt character serve as a perfect anchor for the dominant hop character found in this beer. This is really quite nice at this moment in time. I am curious how this tastes when newly released, but I don't know if it would actually be better than it is right now.

Batch 9901

A - a nice medium amber color with beautiful moderate head and sticky lacing.

S - A nice hoppy nose, but nothing distinctive. Just standard good grapefruit nose.

T - The taste is full, but a little too bitter hoppy for me. I'll rate it very high for the style, but not to my liking.

M - A very full mouthfeel with moderate stickiness.

D - If you like the bitter hop, this one is very well done without being just a hop bomb. A nicely refined, bitter hop glass. I'm not sure how you could drink very many of these though.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Deep gold, with almost an orange hue. Fairly hazy appearance. Half-inch thick foam that holds up exceptionally, leaving a clingy lace once it finally settles. Bright pine and citrus grace the aroma with a doughy, caramel malt balance and some notes of alcohol layered underneath. Smells like this one will be a pretty big Double.

Indeed the citrus hops are massively intense, but they still strike a balance with a hefty malt sweetness. The finish carries a robust and lasting bitterness, and the alcohol is warming but not overly excessive. Medium body with a touch of syrupy slickness, the carbonation is appropriate.

I've waited a long time to try this beer, and while it wasn't a unique revelation, it certainly ranks up there as a great DIPA. The intensity is much like Hop Slam, with perhaps an even greater degree of balance. I would prefer my IPA's more on the single side, but those who like them strong will enjoy this immensely.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Clear, tawny copper. Lots of bubbles.

S: Lots of grapefruit and hops. Nice, but rather unimpressive.

T: Bitter hops and pine resin with some citrus. Balanced with some nice malts. Quite good.

M: Creamy, full, and smooth with a little bit of a kick. Really nice.

O: I like it a lot. Recommended; would have again.

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.