The Oracle | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Our take on the West Coast-style Double India Pale Ale, The Oracle places hop intensity first and foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt and balance.

The fireworks start with the aromatic punch of dry-hop sessions with hop varieties from the Pacific Northwest. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Ratings: 2,720 |  Reviews: 786

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.2/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

appearance: slightly hazy amber. Nice thick, messy eggshell head and lacing.
smell: Deep, rich, citrusy with a hint of sweetness. Big redolent nose.
taste: Mostly dry, citrusy hops. Sharply bitter finish.
overall: Very nice indeed.

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A hazy orange yellow - the lazing as of yet is a unique bubbly film that completely consumes the entire surface area of the inch left of glass, save for the ver lip itself. The nose gets me excited, as it reminds me of the time I got to try Double Jack and Pliny... yet a more talented reviewer could go into more detail. The best I can do is that it's boozy and hoppy - maybe that's indicative of some less desireable traits - and I'll need to come forth and say outright that I did precede this glass with a glass of Mars, which I find to be superior - but this is still fantastic. Just a little less refined. On the tongue there is pine and citrus - but mostly it's boozy bitterness. I'm not complaining - I dig these characteristics - but it could be a little more balanced.

Overall this is a terrific beer. Worth the bucks, but if it were available year-round, I would rarely pick it up. On this rotating schedule though, I'll likely be picking up one six-pack per year.

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.