The Oracle | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Our take on the West Coast-style Double India Pale Ale, The Oracle places hop intensity first and foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt and balance.

The fireworks start with the aromatic punch of dry-hop sessions with hop varieties from the Pacific Northwest. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Ratings: 2,723 |  Reviews: 787

1.41/5  rDev -66.1%

One of the most disgusting beers I've ever had. I gave this a second chance this year and it's a harsh many bomb. No hoppy flavors just a strong disgusting beer. Drain poor. Bell's is better than this....

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

2.06/5  rDev -50.5%

2.31/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Medium amber color with off-white head. Bottle gushed, but poured smooth and head almost gone.

Aromas first of alcohol, then sweet malt, then as the fumes dissipated, tropical/ floral hop aromas. Now a mix of tropical fruity hops and alcohol.

Alcohol is first flavor supported by hop bitterness. Surprisingly ungraceful, and unbalanced. Some sweet malt flavor conspires with sweetness of alcohol to achieve a chemical burning sensation.

Medium body with alcohol finish and hop bitterness.

I'm glad I did not pay 20 dollars for this six pack. Bell's is bleeding the pockets of foolish beer geeks on this one. Ironically, thanks to various beer writers, and legions of rookie followers, this is what the much ballyhooed "extreme" segment of craft beer is turning into - overpriced beer with unbalanced harsh flavors. Congrats - we wanted to be fancy and respectable like wine, and now we have an over-rated Napa Cabernet scene of our own.

Really, thanks beer geeks for throwing tons of cash at any fool who crosses the 9%abv mark, or uses a wild yeast or barrel aging. Thanks a lot.

2.44/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured into a nonic.

Just over a a quarter inch of head. Sits atop a golden amber body that is slightly hazy and has evidence of lively carbonation. Dies down to a solid bubbly cap of foam on top. Retention is pretty awesome, and lacing is great as well.

Smells of some honey malts, fruity esters, citrus, and grapefruit. Also a hint of alcohol.

Lots of honey, a touch of bread, some resin, and citrus. Long lasting resin bitterness. Definitely an east coast interpretation of a dipa.

Mouthfeel has low carbonation, resiny bitterness and a good amount of hop oils. Would definitely like more carbonation in this one.

Alcohol wasn't well hidden, not enough carbonation, and not enough hop flavor. Not too good in my opinion.

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

Got this from Mpbugeye in the Blind Beers BIF-- the beer was reviewed without any knowledge of brewery or style.

Blind beer says Tulip on the wrapping...

Pours a clear, orange-tinted gold color. Slight amber hue. One finger head-- lasted about 3 sips before a tiny ring of bubbles was all that was left. Minimal lacing.

The nose screams IPA-- very little malt, and surprisingly not as much hops as I would normally hope for (my most recent IPA was a growler of Columbus IPA), and this is certainly no where near as hoppy. There is a distinct alcohol bite in the nose. Really boozy, like grain alcohol.

The taste has very little malt or sweetness. A citrus a spicy hop hits with a sticky, oily dryness that lingers with both bitternes and alcohol.

The nail polish remover/acetone note is too much for this beer to be truly be something I want. I think this might be past the point at which I normally enjoy my IPAs... But I am unsure.

-- reveals bottle to be Bell's Oracle---

Hmmm... I think I really nailed the review on this one. Not an awful beer-- but not up to Bell's high standards. Gimme some HopSlam!

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

Bottle date is 08/11/2011.

Pours a fairly dark honey color. One full finger of off white head. Damn good retention. Lacing remains.

Smell. Citrus. Semi sweet. Alcohol. Lots of it. A two trick pony to my nose.

And for my least favorite part. The taste. Slight citrus up front. An incredibly strong malt backbone, that gets rather bitter. Chewy caramel gross garbage malt. Strong grain alcohol. Off putting is the understatement of my life. After that lack luster bitter sting on the finish of the sip the aftertaste sets in. Only way I can describe it is crushed aspirin. And it persists for minutes that seems like days.

What a truly awful beer. With some coaching from my wife I managed to finish my glass. These are going straight to extras. Sorry potential traders. How the hell this beer scored an A- is a modern marvel.

2.49/5  rDev -40.1%

Filtered watered down orange juice to me peepers. Oily legs stand atop some bubbly suds that sit along the outer edges. I'm a sucker for a nice orange colored IPA.

Somewhat of an effort to pull much of a smell from what I anticipated to be quite a delicious smelling beer. Soapy orange, touch of pine, and a boozy quality that isn't quite anticipatory. Surprised at the lack of depth and complexity, especially considering this should be fresh.

Wow...is this hot...and not in a good way. This tastes like vodka with a faint twist of citrus. The herbal bitterness that follows overwhelms the back end of leaves nearly no sense of any citric hop presence. I am at a loss here.

Oily and nearly flat due to the low carbonation and heavy body.

Drinkability? Don't talk about drinkability? Drinkability? For the price of this beer and the pedigree of Bell's Two Hearted and HopSlam, both delicious beers, this is a messy, messy, messy beer. Swing and a miss.

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.