The Oracle | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

The OracleThe Oracle

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Our take on the West Coast-style Double India Pale Ale, The Oracle places hop intensity first and foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt and balance.

The fireworks start with the aromatic punch of dry-hop sessions with hop varieties from the Pacific Northwest. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Reviews: 778 | Ratings: 2,679
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours somewhere between orange and copper with a big, lasting white head. Quite a bit of lacing.

Aroma is mostly piney hops (cascade?) and a hint of caramel malt. Some grapefruit too. It smells good, but I expect bigger aroma from a DIPA.

Flavor is all the components that you get in the nose, but more pronounced. Piney, resinous hops dominate, but the caramel malt backbone and citrus fruit play a nice supporting role.

Mouthfeel is a beyond medium with a good deal of stickiness from the hops.

I could put back a couple of these before the pine and strength kicked me in the dick. All that said, this beer is nowhere near as spectacular as Hopslam. I tend to wonder why it's even necessary to make multiple beers within the same style. I suppose I shouldn't complain, as this is still a very solid DIPA

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

good ole' batch finder lets me know this batch 9901 is just over a month old. maybe too old for those obsessive Cali folks, but plenty fresh IMO.

a- pours a translucent light orange color. a sticky, lacy snow white head with average retention. really can't knock a 10% brew for that, though. this one lights up with some beautiful tones when held to light.

s- really nice hop bouquet on this one. much more West Coast in comparison to Hopslam. very pine centered, with good grapefruit and orange citrus notes. a bit grassy and boozy after the initial hop burst. obviously bitter even on the nose.

t- bitter bitter pine. really hits a soft spot in my IPA heart. again grapefruit is the main citrus component. a bit of biscuit in the bready drying finish. the maltiness is mostly caramel and soft spicy alcohol. this beast really gets exceptionally bitter as it warms. really one of the more bitter DIPAs I've had. good ole' palate assault.

m- a real big bodied ale here. the bitterness and high-moderate carbonation really adds to that fullness. everything is working in sync here.

d- as much as I love the bitterness. a big bold brew like this really isn't something I can drink a lot of; it just wears on me after a few. I will most certainly return to this one, at an even fresher date next time it comes around. a bonafide hop bomb

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured a bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

The head on this was perfect, thick and tasty. The first sip was delicious. Not your typical IPA hoppy flavor, but more sweet and you can definitely taste the high alcohol content. Honestly it was not the type of beer I was expecting, so it was a bit of a disappointment off the bat. The first few tastes though were very good, and an incredibly rich and complex flavor made it one of the more interesting beers I've had in a while. A little over halfway through, however, the strong sweetness of the flavor made it tough to finish. I could see how a lot of people would absolutely love this beer, but for me it's not hoppy and bitter enough...I'm not a big fan of the sweet and fruity flavoring. Also, it is the kind of beer that if I had it in a flight I would love, but the full bottle was too much of the strong, unappealing flavor for me.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Amber colored with a decent and persistent head.

Smells of grapefruit and pineapple. The taste is similar- a sweetness of a combination of candied oranges and pineapple at first, followed by grapefruit of the hops. Finishes with a resiny bitterness.

Continual carbonation keeps the beer light on the tongue, and it has a good consistency.

Drinkability is not high for me. The bitter aftertaste makes it difficult to continue drinking. The alcohol is incredibly well masked, as well.

I've decided I prefer sweeter or more balanced DIPA's, such as Hopslam and Abrasive Ale.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle for $4 from Beer Run in C-ville.

Appearance: Bright and luminous orange, perfectly clear. Uneven white head with decent retention and a glassfull of spotty lacing. Very little to complain about here.

Smell: Big orange and pineapple here. Must have some amarillo in there. This sort of candy sweet citrus nose is the way I like my DIPAs. A little caramelly malt sweetness, a little detectable ethanol, and a tiny bit of fusel.

Taste: This is a beer with a great deal of bitterness, from start to long, bitter finish. The hops flavor being the juicy, fruity type, along with a well selected malt bill providing some residual sweetness "balances" things well. The alcohol is tasted in a good way and doesn't seem hot. I don't taste any fusel alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slick, slightly creamy, sticky. It could do with a tiny bit more carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a damn good beer. Not sure why they feel the need to do 2 different DIPAs, but they've done 2 great ones. Thanks Bells.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Big thanks to RBlaszak for sending this beer to me.

The beer pours a clear yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is very fruit and is outstanding. I get a lot of orange, pineapple and papaya, as well as some pine notes.

The flavor is just as great. It is dominated by pineapple, pine and papaya. I also get a little bit of caramel malt. The bitterness is about medium and not too intense. The beer is full of hop flavor, but the bitterness is restrained enough that the beer is still very drinkable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A great Double IPA that I am very happy I got to try.

4.34/5  rDev +4.3%

A-Pours a clear orangish amber with a two finger white head that dissipates quickly.

S-Smells pretty amazing... pineapple, sweet vanilla syrup, and some apricot with mango.

T-Fresh pineapple with some vanilla notes, pine and finishes with that pineapple after-taste you get from from fresh pineapple

M-Pretty smooth and medium bodied with prickly but low amount of carbonation.

D-Really easy drinking for almost 10.5%. The alcohol is absolutely nowhere to be found. I could see myself putting back a couple of these with no problem, but I'm sure the alcohol would catch up with me.

Batch # 9901.

I've been excited to try this one for a bit, so I was grateful when my buddy newtonty bought me one to try out. Served at fridge temp into an imperial pint.

Pours a pale brown with golden highlights. The head is foamy, sticky and about 1/4 inch. Great retention.

I get FRESH pineapple, lemon zest and oranges on the nose. The malt character is pretty hidden in there.

Wow, very nice flavor on this one. Moderately surprising sweetness with pineapples, pineapples and a few more pineapples... Did I mention pineapple?. This has quite a bold flavor profile... It jumps out at you. Very sweet and with a slight malt spiciness in the mix. Very assertive and enjoyable. Quite unique!

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A deep orange color, like a sunset in your glass, ploughy head, chunky. Aroma was very sweet, tropical citrus and some alcohol warmth.

The first few sips come off wo much alcohol, possibly the most pineapple I've ever tasted in a beer, this one is far less piney and way more tropical citrus, mango, papaya and pineapple feel to it. One of these would be way cooler in a Corona on the beach commercial. Good amount of hops to it, but not a super crisp blast, enough to pair well with a 10.4 beer, thats for sure. Reminiscient of Odell's India Barleywine.

Should be interested to visit the rest of the 6 pack throughout the year. The three I've had thus far were all enjoyable, but the one I had on a weeknight was a little much to get down. This is a good beer to throw down at the end of a tasting session on a weekend, too dangerous during the week.

EDIT: Drink this back to back with Hopsoulution. Same beer almost, different strengths, makes the Oracle seem much lower in ABV when you drink it after a Hopsoulution.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A- 12 oz. bottle decanted into a pint glass unveils a bright, exceptionally clear copper colored brew. Two fingers of eggshell white head sit atop leaving behind thick sheets of lacing. Good head retention.

S- A mixture of floral and citrusy hops. There's even *gasp* a hint of caramel malts. Very strange for a DIPA. It's actually quite well balanced, and the alcohol doesn't really show up either.

T- Very well balanced also. Good mix of citrusy hops and caramel and toffee malts. I'm not really sure if it's supposed tob e balanced though. This is actually the most malt-centric DIPA I've ever had.

M- Smooth, good carbonation, medium body. A bit oily.

D- Pretty good. Gladly, the alcohol doesn't really show up and makes it an easy drinker. I think HopSlam is a better DIPA from Bell's, but this one is good in it's own way.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm not a huge DIPA guy but this beer is awesome. If I could get this fresh and drink it a couple times a week I'd be a very happy guy. Pours a golden copper color with a nice head of tight bubbles that leave lacing all the way down the glass. Tastes wonderful, powerful mix of sweet malt and a floral bitterness that just coats the tongue. This is a very smooth beer with an almost creamy mouthfeel. Like I said, I would drink this all of the time if I could. It's not easy to find around here when it comes out but is worth searching for.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A-golden amber orange with a creamy full head

S- citrus and pine fill the nose

T- Is solid, nice pine bite at the front then a nice crisp citrus flavor that leaves a nice dry feel, with a slight puckering sensation.

Overall, a very good DIPA, but IMO it is over priced for what it is. There are other DIPA's equal in taste at half the price.

2.97/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a clear orange amber with a dish soap head. The color is pretty brilliant. No head retention, which kept it from being a 5.

The aroma is just as good. Big leafy oranges, sweet grass, mint, mellow malt in the background. This is the kind of aroma that brings back childhood memories.

And then the taste slams me back into the present. There's a sense of loss because it doesn't taste nearly as good as it smells. The orange has become bitter orange peels and sap. Fusel alcohol pretty much dominates. I think that with some age this will become a pretty good barleywine.

Oily, heavy, and undercarboated.

Hopslam is a 10% beer I can hang with. This is not.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Oh last week for $2.99. Wally(the proprieter of the store)'s sister alerted me to it without my asking and it was behind the counter. They are very cool to me indeed! Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Batch number 9901.

A Off white thick, creamy head that leaves great lacing on the inside of the glass over a glowing, golden caramel body. Really good look. 4.5

S Grapefruit tart, bitterness over a base of sweet, syrupy malt. The smell is everything that anyone would want a DIPA to be. It is interesting and inviting. It smells like a hell of a "big" beer! 4.0

T Yep, the taste flows directly from the smell. The grapefruit tart/bitterness over the sweet, syrupy malt with the bitterness lingering far longer than the sweetness. This is a good DIPA but I thought that Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster had more to offer in terms of DIPA. This one is a pleasure to taste none the less. 4.0

M As the smell suggested, this is one big beer! From the bigness of the hops bitterness to the huge malt sweetness and the 10%ABV there really is nothing small or thin about the feel of this beer. This is right in line with the style and in fact is a good example of the style's feel. 4.0

D This is simply not a highly drinkable beer. Pick your reason: 1.) ABV 2.) Hops bitterness 3.) Filling and huge malt sweetness and possibly 4.) cost. Despite all of that, I drank and enjoyed every drop! 3.0

Notes: Really glad to have the opportunity to try this one from Bell's! Also: my bottle lists the ABV as 10.0%

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Slightly hazy pale orange in color. Forms about 1/4" of sticky head with a hard pour. Leaves sheets of lacing.

S: Light whiff of sweet malt, then a host of hoppy flavors: orange, mango, citrus, and pine. Very aromatic.

T: A light honey sweetness followed by an appreciable hop bitterness. Mostly a strong pine flavor with grapefruit and citrus to a lesser extent.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. There is a noticeable bitterness.

D: A very good and quite enjoyable DIPA.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

This brew pours a fairly even split IMO between red and orange. Definitely not bright in color but rich and somewhat hazy, very little carbonation but enough to make like fresh. Very little stale white head that fades into a ring quickly. The smell is very aromatic, and very sweet. The dent no hop spice from this and all a kind of sugary sweet smell. A very light citrus is the lightest hop scent with juicy oranges standing out. A mellow but full piney smell is here too but resting under the fruitiness it seems. Honey, floral aroma.

Glug glug glug

Much more bitter in the initial hit than anything in the aroma would have you think. Smacks down with a bitter resinous punch before "mellowing" into a balance between the bitter and the sweet. Fruit rind comes to mind in a big with something very literally like flowers, maybe jasmine, working its way around too. The sweetness is big and heavy and comes through as an almost bitter honey flavor from the malt. The mouth feel is a little thick but not nearly as thick as many and the drinkability, for me at least, is pretty good for something this big and heavy. The flavor is well rounded and complex, without dominating (too much) with any one aspect of the beer. Overall a class act in its category and certainly a unique example even.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Single bottle purchased, probably for a little more than I could have purchased elsewhere, oh well. I'm happy for the opportunity. Nice classic Bell's label.
Who is this Pythia and why is he/she all-knowing?
Really delightful aroma of fresh hops of sweet candy like fruitiness. Slowly settles into a fresh sweet citrus most close to grapefruit but lighter and less tart. Very nice. Eventually becomes less unique, but boy that initial aroma was awfully nice.
Nice dense off-white head. Ample action from the bottom of my SN tulip glass in an orange amber elixir.
Mmmm, smooth drink and the flavors are to be savored as they glide over the tongue. The finishing bitterness is ample and extended, but not excessive and not so tongue ripping as to prohibit enjoyment of the next taste.
Oh man, too bad, just a touch of the excess hop flavor I dislike so much.
Well this is certainly better than the proposed gases emitting from the earth leading to great prophesies. The well hidden alcohol inspires me. And I guess that is as it should be.

A - Batch 9901. It pours a small quarter inch of white head that recedes fairly quickly leaving a ring of lace. The beer has a clear, medium golden-orange appearance.

S - There is a pretty strong grapefruit aroma with hints of pine. There is also a pineapple aroma present. Light alcohol can be detected.

M - Medium-full in body with good carbonation. The beer coats the inside of your mouth with sticky sweetness and oily hops.

T - The taste reminds me of Founder's Devil Dancer which is another huge imperial IPA. Piny, bitter hops hit the taste buds first followed by light citrus. A plum like flavor paired with a malty sweetness pick up in the middle and continue into the grapefruit like finish. It finishes fairly bitter with traces of warm alcohol.

While an excellent beer, it almost seems more like a hoppy American Barleywine. It's just a barrage of malts and hops packing a nice alcohol heat. This one is a sipper for sure.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle. Pours a burnt orange almost burnt sienna color with a slight white head that forms a nice coasted atop the brew. Malty sweet aroma with graefruit type notes in the nose. The first sip yields a fairly malty brew that is pretty sweet on the upfront and just when you think "where are the hops?" BAM the hop bitterness plows into your mouth and on your tongue. Citrus rind type bitterness with some floral tastes. Medium mouthfeel. Not bad but nothing too crazy either and not worth the minimal hype that it comes with. To me I think there are other regular everyday DIPA's that are just as good and better. Worth a try though if you can find.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Glad to see this one around again. Batch 9901, still very fresh. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I let it warm up just a little bit before diving in.

Pours golden amber, small off white head. Looks pretty tasty. Smells of sweet sticky malt, and citrusy hops. The best way I can describe the taste is a layering of hops. Citrusy hops and grapefruit dominate, with some earthy hops and some pine in the background. Nice caramelly backbone. It gives you that feeling in the back of your throat that a good bitter DIPA does. Very enjoyable in everywhere.

I'm glad this one lived up to my expectations. I had begun to lose some faith in Bell's after a mediocre visit to the brewpub and what I thought were very underwhelming efforts in Batch 9K and their 25th anniversary ale. I can't wait to try hopsolution and the the wild one.

4.41/5  rDev +6%

A- Color appears as an alost crystal clear copper with an off white head about a 1/4 inch, as it settled left some slight lacing.

S- surprisingly sweet citrus smell, almost like candy orange slices, what stands out most is what's missing--which is the hoppy, piney scent that accompanies most dipa's. I'm very intrigued by this beer.

T- The hops come through in the taste in a very balanced manner. Still seems to have a bit of the sweet citrus noted previously, but is balanced nicely with the hoppiness. Some other complex flavors that aren't readily lending themselves to my limited vocabulary. A very complex beer.

M- Hits the mouth intensely at first, and then balances out, it's not a beer you'll drink by accident! Leaves something to chew on and ends nicely with the rich, complex tastes lingering in a pleasant aftertaste.

D- Extremely drinkable for its ABV, as I barely noticed the alcohol. I'll definitely seek this one out again, shame its in such limited quantities.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Has a nice dark tan almost red color. Not as much head as I usually get from this glass.

I have a cold so the smell was way less than expected but probably mostly due to the cold.

Taste is very good. Smacks you with hops on the front but rounds out really nicely without just hiding the bitter with sweet. Very well rounded.

Mouthfeel was nice. It was surprisingly easy to drink for a DIPA.

Overall a great beer.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Bought a single bottle less than a week ago and it's been staring me down since.

A - Golden, a touch of haze but thick white head that just sticks to the glass.

S - Some tropical fruit hops but not over the top. Actually get some malt in the nose. Not what I was expecting

T - This is a compelex hop bomb! Up front is mango and grapefuit, then some grass and finally pine in the aftertaste. I really enjoy this DIPA...it's range of flavors is camparable to a very hormonal teenage girl, all over the place (but in a good way).

M - Pretty rich and full, low carb

D - WOW, don't taste the 10%+ here at all! For being such a hop bomb the malt bill is just right. Fantastic...almost too drinkable?!?!

Overall I really enjoy this. A must try for hop lovers. I didn't think I could score one of these but snatched it up and am wishing I grabbed more.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one.

A: Deep copper color with two fingers of white head after the pour. The head settling down had lacing. Really sticky lacing. Perfect pour for a DIPA.

S: The nose is nothing short of scrumtrilescent. Huge blast of citrus. Pineapple. Mango. Just an in your face hop blast. You do actually get a nice bit of malt as well.

T: Wow. Tons of citrus. Very west coast in nature. Pineapple is leading the charge. Has that sweetness that comes from an insane amount of hope and a big ABV beer. A little bit of booze is detectable but that is ok by me.

M: Mouthfeel is full and sticky. Creamy. It is everything you want in a DIPA.

D: I split the 12oz bottle and am regretting it already. This is going down in record time. Stupid drinkability for the ABV. It is expensive but it is also good. I would grab this when I was feeling saucy and needed a serious hop fix.

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

12oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint.

A big shout out to cmswoboda for hooking me up with this generous extra.

A- Pours a nice copper with just a slight haze to it. About one finger worth of head that recedes slowly and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Some nice tropical hops and citrus. A pretty good amount of malt and a little bit of sweetness. A little bit of grassiness and a touch of orange rind.

T- Big piney hops burst onto your taste buds right away. Lots of hop oil just coat the tongue which dulls down the bitter. The malt is back there but it takes awhile to pick it up. There is a light grassiness like the nose on the tail end of the taste.

M- Medium to full body. It just seems to coat your tongue. Not too bitter but there is a touch of heat on the back of the throat.

D- Decent beer but nothing about it really stands out. It is not as in your face as some DIPA's. I think I prefer some of Bell's other offerings. Pretty average for drinkability, which is the story of this beer.

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery, Inc.