The Oracle | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Our take on the West Coast-style Double India Pale Ale, The Oracle places hop intensity first and foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt and balance.

The fireworks start with the aromatic punch of dry-hop sessions with hop varieties from the Pacific Northwest. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2009

Ratings: 2,732 |  Reviews: 788

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

I was worried that I had missed my opportunity to try this beer this year. The few stores in my area that got some in sold out almost immediately. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Flying Saucer had got some bottles of it as well. 12oz bottle into a tulip glass pours a slightly hazy orange with a thin khaki head that diminishes to a thin layer and leaves decent lacing on the glass. Aroma is nice fragrant floral citrus hops in front of caramel malts. The taste is loads of citrus hops alongside a nice amount of sweet caramel malts. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with a slight dryness smoothing things out. This is a very enjoyable DIPA, one I was very glad to get to try and one I will certainly have again.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle from a trade with TasteTester - thanks for the hookup!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bell's Pint Glass.

A - golden orange. Really looks nice but nothing insane. Small white head that sticks around, probably stuck to the hop oils ;)

S - smells of spicy hops, a bit of citrus (I've had more citrus-y beers), but mostly a nice dank hoppy spice. Not too pine-y - I've had a few beers that exhibit the same smells, but this puts them all together really well!!

T - WOAH! Two sips totally destroyed my palette. Seriously dank, hoppy, bitter, and ruinous. I like DIPA's all day, but I must admit I tend to like just a little more balance - this is waaay bitter and lingers on and on. I would like this more if they had chosen going one of two ways, with the decision between a sweeter malt or a slightly more citrus-y sweet hop (this is more spicey to me than others have described). Finishes a bit too hot for my tastes, but gets much more tolerable when paired with a salty snack.

M - Mouthfeel is exceptional, like Hopslam - these little bubbles won't quit. Carb is perfect, just perfect mouth on a DIPA. Bells is king of this.

D - Drinkability is hard to rate honestly. I could drink many more, but would I taste them? Above average but not A material IMO.

I was lucky enough to score a 6 pack, so I'll need to give it another shot or 5. Good, but not legendary - I'd take Hopslam 1,000,000x's over this, but glad to have tried it. This is for those who like their hops spicey, bold, and unforgiving. All in all, glad to see Bell's still pushing new flavors. This just isn't anything monumental to me.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.12/5  rDev -1%

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Hazy and fuzzy orange color. Nice head on top. Big citrusy aroma though is somewhat sweaty like. Big hop bitterness right upfront. Tongue stripping hop goodness with a very solid malt backbone. A tad boozey and faintly sweet. Love the mouthfeel-very solid, almost syrupy which I love, and the puckering of the hops just does it for me. A damn fine beer all around. While it is a bit boozey that comes into play across the board and makes for quite an enjoyable brew.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.72/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A pillow like tan head jumps to three inches with a moderate pour. Head retention is very good and turns to lumpy biscuit dough looking foam in my glass as it slowly fades. Lots of lace is left behind. Body is a murky orange amber in tone. Nose has notes of orange peel and fresh opened mandarine oranges with a hint of fresh cut greens. With first sip you get a blast of piney resin and sharp bitter balanced alcohol bite on the front of the tongue. The real standout flavor on subsequent sips is the bitter hop resins that lay like a hop blanket on the palate. Very dry and bitter and it almost lacks the malt balance that you get with most DIPA's that reach this alcohol level. This is not a bad beer at all but it is brutally bitter.

The Oracle from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store