Batch 9,000

4.08 | pDev: 12.99%
From:
Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Batch 9,000Batch 9,000
Notes: "Black, dense, and rich, this is a great ale for the cellar."
Reviews: 543 | Ratings: 921
Reviews by jeonseh:
4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Dark brown with a small amount of foam floating in the middle of the glass

S - Hints of caramel, black licorice, and orange peel make a nice nose

T- Caramel, molasses, black licorice, and orange peel all balance each other out nicely. This is one nice flavorful and balanced beer

MF - Medium body with light sticky syrupiness

O - Solid beer that serves as a nice base for the BA beer

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a very dark espresso with a nice tan head that really comes alive with some agitation. Nice legs as it goes down, especially for a beer of this abv.

S: At this point, a little bit rough around the edges. The initial whiff isn't super-appetizing, but leads into some oak, anise, toffee, and port notes.

T: Lots of the port components coming together for a sweet brew that is balanced by the alcohol without ever really feeling hot. Also coming through is some chocolate, anise, wood, and a bit of leather. This one is quite complex and I'm sure will only get much better with age.

M: Quite lush without being overly boozy like I feared it might have been. Actually, the alcohol contributes a really nice component alongside the anise flavors. Ample carbonation for the style and a nice, smooth aftertaste.

D: High up there. Definitely one of the best imperial stouts that I've had in a while.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

I drank a few of these fresh and enjoyed them alot. In spite of it being good fresh figured this one could use a little more time in the bottle. The beer was served chilled and in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours straight black. The head was tan and quickly resolved into a thin film ontop of my beer glass. Pretty much exactly as I expected.

Smell: The aroma has a very nicely layered burnt caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, dark roasted and toasted malt with very pleasing star anise, burnt raisin, figs, cocoa, very sweet aroma overall with plenty of booze but not in a distracting way. If you dont have a sweet tooth leave this one alone.

Taste: Dam near molar melting sweet! Lucky for me I got a sweet tooth! No where near as roasted as I thought the flavors would be. Sweet cocoa, figs, burnt raisins, molasses, a bit more cocoa, brown sugar, soy nearing balsamic vinegar at times. The booze is present in the flavor but almost like a barrel aged beer. I think time will do marvelous things to this beer. Going to sit on a sixer for about 5 years before I break into it.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Nice full bodied beer. The carbonation is on the lower side but makes the beer feel all the more full. In short I really, really dig the body. I am like Mixalot and this baby has back!... Yeah this beer is a booze bomb. Honestly,the boozeyness didnt register until the buzz started. No trace in the mouthfeel. As far as the drinkability some folks maynot dig the boozyness of this beer. I am really enjoying this behemoth of a beer. Well played!

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from bottle into my favorite tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep brown color with a tan slight head. My first thoughts of the aroma are of dark fruit, maybe cherries followed by roasted malts. The taste really sweet I am guessing due to the use of the molasses followed by a tart/bitterness that bites at the tongue. I don't pick up the licorice taste too much. Mouthfeel is fairly heavy. I might wish it to have a slightly less heavy feel to it.

Does it live up to the long awaited hype of Batch 9000? Depends. It's really good but I can think of several other beers that are just as good as this one. I give Bell's props for using the molasses and the licorice though!

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

2/13/10

Bells
Batch 9000

L=4.5 Pours to a medium black body and a thin off white head

S= 4.0 Nose of molasses, fig, and sweet malt

T= 4.5 the nose carries over to an upfront sweetness, sweet-tart molasses, and dark figs

F= 4.0 It has a nice lively feeling with a velvety, medium creamy body

D= 4.0 One is all you really need. I would bet this beer cellared is quite nice. Maybe 2 years?

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. bottle to a pint glass, warmed for probably 30 minutes outside the fridge. Thanks to a couple of fine traders, most recently Pabs311.

'A COMMEMORATIVE BREW - Malt Beverage Brewed with Molasses and Brewer's Licorice'

A: Perfect darkness in liquid form, jet black and super thick-looking. Just a so-so head, barely climbing to a finger before falling to a skimcoat of dimpled sandy cream. A lasting lid of dense foam, droopy lace bands.

S: Sweeter nose - definite 'licorice' notes rite away - has a sort of 'Belgian Quad' character in that regard. Cocoa, treacle and a hint of smoke, followed by effervescing boozy (rum-like) woodiness. Strong scent and very, very likable.

T: A liqueur-soaked chocolate truffle, that's what I'd best liken this to. A hint of raspberry lends an earthy tartness... a little orange citrus too. Then thick and tangy dark chocolate and spiced molasses reign supreme, sweetened with apples (? a weird, brandy-like backing...). Unlike anything I've tried previously...

M: Thick and coating with a cheek-sucking warmth, but oh-so-very smooth and creamy. Luscious and sip-worthy.

D: Whew ~ very tasty but also very heavy and alcoholic. Quite good now, but I'll betcha it's even better a year or two from today. Glad I have another to save til then. Try one now, then another later...

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Delirium Tremens tulip.

A. Poured a 1 finger tan colored head. Prett good retention. Some lacing left. Color is dark black.

S. Smell is chocolatey. Alochol, molasses, sweet caramel malt. Smell is a cross between a really good imperial stout and a barleywine. Has some spices that come out as well. The licorice adds a nice touch.

T. Taste might best be described in one word "Wow". This has a ton of flavors going on. Molasses, chewy malt, caramel, spices, chocolate, black licorice. Very complex flavors, and it packs a punch on the tongue. This is a big beer.

M. Mouthfeel is definitely full. Nice thick chewy mouthfeel. Leaves a mouth coating sweetness. Medium carbonation.

D. This is a sipper. 12.5% packs a wallop. Time does well for this beer. The very first one I had was pretty hot. This beer has almost perfect mouthfeel IMHO. This is a very complex and big beer. Im looking forward to trying this again over the next couple of years.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks Matt!

A- Pours a dark black w/ a one finger chocolate head that quickly disappears. Nice lacing. A true black hole of a beer.

S- Smell is of rum soaked fruit, malt, slight tinge of alcohol. Beautiful nose- very balanced and pleasant.

T- Wow. Wonderful tasting beer. Alcohol makes its presence more known in the taste, but still a very smooth 12.5%. All the smells come out in the taste. Exceptional.

M- Like silk/syrup w/ a slight alcohol burn on the back end. Very nice.

O- Great beer that has obviously improved by putting several years on it. Highly recommended if you can find one.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Buckeyeboy brought this to a tasting a couple of weeks ago.. Thanks Jeremy!! Reviewed from paper notes.

Hmmm thought this was a reworking of the 7000... I guess I was wrong... that changes the numbers on my review a bit and is bumping them up.

Dark dark brown brew... not black surprisingly... nice tan head, but drops quickly... no lacing.

Aroma is "dark", yet pretty fruity too with some brown sugar.. pretty hot... more hops than I was expecting.

Flavor mirrors the nose with some spicy phenols that I was surprised to find.. roasty with some chocolate.. but plenty of raisin... a tad too sweet for my liking.. again, pretty hoppy... big body.. carbonation is about right.

Thanks again Jeremy and to my coming 9000 contact.. you know who you are ;-)

4/4/4/4.5/4.5

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bells Batch 9000
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Style: American Strong Ale
ABV: 12.50 %

Enjoyed 4/18/2010 After a long triple batch Weizenbock brew day. I must confess I was a bit skeptical of this brew after all the hype, as hype is sometimes a turn off. Well it suprpassed my skeptical expectations, and won me over as humbled fan. I love Bells and if they can make a bold 12.5% American Strong this good, well consider me even MORE loyal.

Thanks to kstrickler for landing this one and sending one my way!

Appearance is dark as night, pours with very little carbonation but rises to a nice 1 finger tan head.
Smell is dark rum, heavy caramelized molasses, dark malts and a hint of dark fruit. If there is licorice in the aroma it is balanced nicely as I dont usually enjoy licorice - ever.
Tastes as exactly as it smells, with a nice complex sweet finish, that dances with a whisper of hop balance. Evident boozy warming quality that is enjoyable but requires you to sip, ponder and pace.
Mouthfeel is full body caramelized dark rum, boiled with a heap of molasses syrupy texture. Low/Medium carbonation that works very well and lets all the flavor complexity and full body shine through.

Not overdone on the ABV, licorice, or molasses. Unique. Well made. Impressive, big and bold. If I landed another I would split a 12oz with a worthy pal and I think that it would be a tad more enjoyable. A brew this big and complex requires conversation and time to sip patiently.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip

A - Poured a dark brown with a thin porter-like consistency. One finger of bubbly light brown head. A lot of visible carbonation.

S - The nose is dark fruit, sweet molasses, licorice and alcohol. A very different nose than anything else I've had. Interesting.

T - Initial taste is sweet dark fruit with alcohol burn. The finish is more smooth though. After a few sips the alcohol is still present but the burn isn't. The taste becomes smoother and smoother as I drink this; turning from what was initially a decent beer to an excellent strong ale. The sweetness and the dark fruit are a great compliment for some caramel, molasses, licorice and a hint of coffee. Very complex and very enjoyable.

M - Medium body with a bit of chew. The carbonation is perfect.

D - An excellent beer, definitely worthy of the special Batch 9000 label. I wish I had bought more than 3 bottles - will age the other two.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Body is a deep brown with virtually no head or lacing. There was some carbonation activity and I was waiting for head form, but nothing.

The smell is enticing. Heavy on the black licorice and the molasses, as advertised. The roasted malt was subdued.

The black licorice is the most obvious taste, good and plenty. This has a cloying sweetness about it that is just too much. It's a very original and distinct taste so it makes up points there. The finish is soy.

Mouthfeel is like a sticky syrup and leaves a strange medicinal coating on my tongue. Strangely, the aftertaste is short lived considering the robust nature of the original flavors.

This is a sipper, and I can never imagine having any more than one. To go along with that, I can't see having any other libation before or after this. It is one of those drinks that won't match well with anything.

I can definitely see this one doing better with some age on it.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

A-This beer pours very dark, virually black in color with a nice dense head.
S-Malty, bourbony with hints of fruits and licorice.
T-Very sweet and syrupy with a bourbon infused flavor of molasses and dark fruits.
M-Smooth and creamy feel with little or no bitterness, overall a good sipper.
D-The sweetness of this beer did not quit even to the end as it reached near room temperature. I hope aging mellows that a bit as well as taming some of the heat.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Deep, dark blackish/brown copper with a thin light tan head that reduced to a thin veil and left spotty lace.

S-Molasses, sweet caramel, raisin, dark fruit, oak and anise all coming around at one point or another.
An Imp. Stout, hmmm...more like an Old Ale to me.

T-Caramel sweet, raisin, dark fruit, turbinado, molasses, anise, light roasted malt, touch of cocoa and a hint of alcohol solvency. Quite sweet up front but finishes quite dry with an oak character.

M-Medium to medium-heavy bodied and actually feels somewhat "light" for an Imp Stout. Good lingering flavours.

D-I warmed up to this brew the more I drank. Overall, I found Batch 9000 to be quite nice, but an Imp. Stout...no sir, I don't think so. Way too sweet and not nearly enough roasted malt feel. Maybe this one will age nicely and let loose some of that sweetness.

4.49/5  rDev +10%

Bell's Batch 9000, a.k.a., Dark Lord Jr.
Poured into and consumed out of a hollowed out dragon's skull.

The blackness from Michigan has a much lighter, cream colored crown than I would have expected for such a black hole of a beer. No lace, just a still dark brown puddle now that I'm 2/3 through the glass.
This is the third time I've had this beer, and every time the aroma has reminded me of Dark Lord. Toffee, sweet coffee, vanilla, licorice and spiced Christmas cookies. As soon as I took the first quick inhale and sip (months ago), before I picked out any particular flavor I immediately pictured a bottle of 2008 Dark Lord. Same impression tonight of luscious chocolate covered fruit, Irish Cream, mild coffee bitterness, blackstrap molasses, devil's raisins. The alcohol is ever-present and acts as a huge compliment to the rest of the flavors. I can feel it in my nose.
The mouthfeel is along the same line as DL, but not quite as super-massive. It's still very sticky, rotund, dominant, and unrelenting. I'm done now, but I'll probably still be tasting this beer after I brush my teeth tonight.
I'm about to start drunk dialing, so slightly lower marks for drinkabability.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%

Very thick. Not a whole lot on the nose besides sweetness and booze. No head on the pour.
This beer could really have used some carbonation to liven up the thick, flabby but interesting palate.

Molasses is the dominant flavor here. Too sweet and boozy but fairly smooth for its weight. Enjoyable and different. Good, but not great beer.

Could probably age forever though.

Batch 9,000 from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store