Bell's Batch 9000 | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 9000Bell's Batch 9000

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Strong Ale

"Black, dense, and rich, this is a great ale for the cellar."

Added by alexgash on 01-29-2010

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

I didn't realize how high the abv was on this until I started drinking it and logged in here. I just picked it up at the store because it looked interesting.

Poors black and the head disappears quickly. Smells of plumbs or prunes (just a matter of timing I guess). This is one of those beers that has so much going on I don't really know what I am tasting or smelling. But I do know that when you put it all together I like it a lot. Definitely going to see if I can pick some more up the next time I hit the store.

Low carbonation. BIG flavor. Coats the tongue with a crazy selection of flavors. Definitely worth buying if you see one on the shelf.

3.28/5  rDev -18%

Been looking forward to this one. Obtained in a trade with StormKing47. Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

Pours black with a less than one finger head that is a similar in color to the label, a kind of off white with a hint of yellow. Dies down to a ring around the edge of the glass and an island in the middle. Pretty impressive lacing. Impressive for such high abv. However, all traces of lacing disappear after some time.

Plumbs and figs hit the nose first which dominates. Licorice and molasses are quite apparent. A hint of soy sauce as well. Definitely gonna be very sweet judging by the nose. Not promising based on the smell.

Taste follows smell. Plumbs, raisins and figs are up first accompanied by an intense sweetness. The licorice is more pronounced in the taste than in the smell and adds an element of bitterness. The molasses is perceivable too. Hints of soy sauce as well. Anise. Some rum alcohol flavor. Overall, the taste is waaaay too sweet, cloyingly so. Molasses and licorice linger. Really not a fan of the taste of this one.

Dense. Chewy. Very full bodied, and viscous. Pretty warm on the way down. Low carbonation.

The abv is very well masked. However, the taste of this makes it a sipper, certainly intended as a desert beer. This one really didn't do it for me.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

Won this in CrazyMacHarris' LIF. Thanks a lot!

A: Pours a very dark brown with a little red around the edges. Creates a medium sized tan head that persists but doesn't really lace.

S: Booze first and foremost. I like a really boozy beer now and again, but I can see it being a bit much for a lot of people. I can definitely smell the molasses, which I'm starting to like more and more in a beer. I'm not really getting the licorice that the label mentions, though. Instead, there's a rich scent of brown sugar. It actually smells a lot like brown sugar creamed with butter right before baking. Tremendous.

T: Super sweet and boozy. The brown sugar is a little burnt-tasting. Dark dried fruits come out more than in the nose. Caramel malts, of course. The booze is not at all out of place, and it ties everything else together nicely.

M: Smooth as hell. Creamy with low, lazy carbonation.

Overall: Perfect dessert beer. Like everyone else, I'd like to try one with some age on it.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Nice finger and a half of light brown head that is dense at the bottom with the bubbles getting larger towards the top. A very dark beer, almost black, with some deep red shades when held up to light.

S - First thought: Dark Lord! ... without the coffee aromas. Port wine and dark fruit. Almost barleywine-esque, but enough dark, burnt malt presence to keep things on the imperial stout side of things.

T - A lot of the same as the smell, but definite molasses/syrupy component. Not getting the licorice, but thats fine with me (I'm not a huge fan of licorice). A little vanilla characteristic. Doesn't taste quite as good as Dark Lord, but a good substitute.

M/D - Big and gummy mouthfeel. Very sweet afterwards. I wish this was a year-round beer, or that Bell's would even brew it again, but thats sadly not the case.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

A: pours dark dark brown with a ruby hue around the edges & a nice 3/4" tan head that sticks around for a while,surprisingly.
S: mainly molasses with an alcohol,vinegar & licorice backbone
T: LICORICE! Surprisingly smooth licorice bite with a nice syrupy molasses base. Incredibly smooth for 12.5% & much better once this one warmed up a bit.
M: low low carbonation but the licorice provides a nice bite

This is the 1st taste almost 2 months after bottling. Look forward to reviewing the next 5 each of the next 5 years

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

Holy crap I love this beer. I had been weary to try it this early out of the bottle however I took the plunge and I must say, this is one of my favorite beers. It pains me to know this is a LTO beer. The smell is sweet and so is the taste and I LOVE sweet beers. The taste is a little bit firewater but I also tend to love a boozy almost port like beer. Pours a nice black very little head. Dangerously drinkable at least for me, even though it's boozy it's hard to believe it's 12.5%. This is Bell's best beer at least for me, move over hopslam.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

This beer pours a very dark amber to black, with a mild head that lasts for a while and yields nice lacing. The aroma is sweet carrying notes of chocolate and dried stone fruits. Upon taking a sip this beer feels smooth and thick in the mouth. it is sweet, with chocolate licorice and raisin/prune flavors, and strong overtones of alcohol. There is essentially no bitterness.

Overall I find this to be a good strong ale, ideal for drinking on cold evenings.

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%

batch 9k, available in abundance. snagged 2 sixers to drink over the years

appearance: classic bells batch release label, served in a de koninck chalice, deep dark body with a creamy crest but no lacing

smell: rich dark chocolate, molasses, plum, raisin, strong booze

taste: third sample of this one - had a bottle upon release and enjoyed on tap a few weeks ago...very strong spicy stout/strong ale, rich dark chocolate, espresso, plum, spicy booze, lots of dark fruit, licorice

mouthfeel: creamy, strong full-flavored and full-bodied

drinkability: sipper

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and impressive lacing. The beer is attractive looking, but is nothing special. However, on the nose I get a rich RIS aroma of dark chocolate, vanilla, licorisee, molasses, tar and coffee. The dark chocolate and molasses, rather then the coffee, dominate the flavor profile, which is a plus in my book. On the palate, this beer is every bit as good, though the sweetness and noticeable alcohol make this beer very much a sipper. Still, there's enough going on so that the sweetness doesn't overwhelm the palate, and I love the soft, rich, full mouthfeel. Drinkability is pretty good, considering the abv., though this is clearly a beer to take one's time with. The high alcohol became increasingly noticeable as worked through the glass.

A very nice beer and one I think I may need to find some more of.

3.28/5  rDev -18%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a deep brown, almost black looking. There only way you can tell it is brown is by holding it to the light and looking at the edges. Very minimal head that sparsely gathers around the edges.

S- Booze and black licorice are the dominant scent after the first whiff. I also pick up a little bit of the malt in the background to go along with a small amount of dark fruit, figs perhaps? Again, the booze really dominates the nose and as the bottle suggests, this one probably would be better with some age on it.

T- Black licorice with a sweet malt hit the tongue hard. The malt turns from sweet to almost a burnt presence. The dark fruits are barely noticeable and the booze comes through more and more as this one warms up.

M- The high point of this beer for me is the mouthfeel. Pretty smooth with just a little bit of warmth from the alcohol. No real bitterness to speak of.

D- For me this is a one and done. I even had a hard time finishing one bottle. I put another bottle away to see what some age can do with it and really I don't think it can get much worse than this. Really not for me.

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%

Appears a pitch black hue with a large creamed coffee toned head large bubbles after a vigorous pour, it's amazing that the head retention is this good with the alcohol level being up there in the 12s. Nice fine lacing patterns form between sips.

Aromatics offer up deep chocolate with spiced edges. Big herbal hops with a blended licorice spiciness full of anise, almost like an Italian pizzelle. Big ripened fruit layers with booziness add to yet another layer of complexity here, plum and raisins. The dark caramelized sugars are definitely evident with the molasses and licorice additions.

Flavor big alcoholic soaked dark fruits including raisins, figs, and plums. A brandy like hotness that will mellow in time, bitter anise black licorice notes and sweet caramelized sugars swell on the palate. Herbal hops don't balance enough with the dark roasted malt and the big booze finish. Definitely lay some of this down, it's big viscous and a bit cloying right now some of these flavors will meld or mellow with time.

Between the booze and the anise buzz, this beer almost numbs the palate. That's not quite the mouthfeel I'm looking for in a big double stout, this is like an Expedition ale with caramelized brown sugar and a shot of Greek ouzo. Definitely hits on the cloying level right now, lay this one down for some aging. Carbonation is mellow body is big and full of residual sugars, but the anise and overkill of the molasses need some age to do me right.

Drinkability is good in dessert portions, but it's sad when you have to share a 12 ounce bottle with a friend to be able to enjoy it. This goes into a snifter/chalice without asking swirl it around and indulge in this complex 9,000th batch from our friends at Bell's. It's a once every 6 month kinda brew, so buy a six or a case and sample it every once in awhile as a night cap or with a nice cigar.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

I am a huge fan of Bell's and it stinks we can't get it in CT. I think Hopslam is my all time favorite.. The two hearted ipa is amazing.. With that being said, I also want to say this was also great.. maybe a little too fresh. was just bottled in january. thanx to smutty33 for sharing this with me. It didn't disappoint; however, I think it will be great with some age. I hope to get to re-review it later on.

A - Pours a deep red/brown color. Moderate head.. Good lacing..

S - Smell the molasses, black licorice and just a thick candy sweet smell. some smell of alcohol. not overpowering smell of that but a very highly complex smell. maybe raisins as well..

T - tastes very thick.. sweet.. I can taste the molasses and the licorice.. surprisingly do not taste the high abv at all. This is special it is a treat; however, i think age will do this great..

D - High abvs and a seriously thick powerful taste make this one a true sipper. i only split half a bottle and that was plenty for me. i could not drink a lot of these. maybe one bottle it is a little too heavy to be sessionable. this is a sipper...

2.58/5  rDev -35.5%

Thanks to Greg for 'leasing' me this bottle, had it tonight 3.11.10. From notes.

Pours into my Bruery tulip with a half finger of tight foam after an aggressive pour. Below this tannish head sits a charred nut brown beer that looks pretty still, a dot of lace or two... some wine-like legs upon swirling.

Whoa is the first thing I think when smelling this....this is a doozy. Sweet and sugary, kind of a mess. BIG licorice and sugary molasses and other sugars. A black cherry lollipop with that manufactured fruit flavor. Something acrid without being an appealing roasted note. Plenty of booze through the back... I can tell already I'm not going to be a huge fan of this.

The taste is much of the same, very sugary and cloying. Kind of messy and a sipper for sure. Nothing about this urged me to take another sip...a little bit of a dark fruit flavor tries to save it but is just crushed by the immense sugars. I split the 12oz with another person and the remnants of the tulip are still siting in front of me almost 90 minutes later. It's very strong and warming. Low carbonation, medium-full bodied, a little oily and coating for sure.

I feel like this could definitely improve with some time, so if I come upon any other bottles, I'll be sure to lock them up until then. Also, this kind of reminded me of a really young, slightly less boozy, and thicker bodied worldwide stout. Although, I haven't had that one in a little while either...

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer is my first experience with anything from Bell's (as I live in NH, where its not readily available). I have to admit I have high expectations. Here it goes...

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into my Smuttynose Big Beer snifter glass.

Appearance: Dark brown to black. No light shwoing through the glass at all. Poured a less than one finger medium mocha head that recedes pretty quickly into a barely there lacing.

Aroma: Some sharp booze hits pretty heavy upfront, a lot like a dark rum. Sweet molasses and bitter coffee beans blend nicely together in the background. The nose feels more balanced the more you drink.

Taste: Sweet molasses and coffee notes upfront. Very sweet here. Bitter coffee beans and licorice blend nicely together to balance out the strong sweetness upfront. Licorice and bitter coffee are the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and chewy. Not much carbonation to speak of. Goes down really smooth.

Drinkability: For the high ABV, this beer feels balanced and goes down smoothly. A great brew for sipping. Complex and balanced.

Overall, a complex. layered, and balanced brew with a great flavor profile. The licorice blends in really well considering I am not a huge fan of the licorice. The sweetness upfront also is great. Highly recommended. Unique and certainly worthwhile.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip glass. Pours a semi-clear reddish black that fills dark black in the glass(with no light passing through once filled). Huge dark frothy tan head that slowely dissapates into a thin collar with great thick sticky lacing.

Aroma is a little overwhelming. Too much raisin sweetness. Licorice, rye, mollasses and BOOZE! I hope this aroma doesn't follow by an overly raisin sweet beer!

Well done! After the aroma scare, the flavor is great. Of course, it's boozy, but definitely has a licorice and molasses taste, along with strong, yet not overwhelming raisin notes. Carbonation is mid to low, and a huge chewy thick mouthfeel. Very good beer Bells! Took long enough in the making!

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a plum toned, slick and oily near pitch black with a finger of frothy dark tan head. The head itself is in a sense foamy, but that's not an entirely accurate description. The bubbles are uniformly large and caviar-like. The head disappears extremely quickly, leaving a white ring of a few of these bubbles. No visible lacing. I've seen better from beers of similar style and ABV...this one gets points for interestingness but beyond that doesn't really do much but sit there looking like an oil slick for a vast majority of the time it's out.

Smell: Metallic, berry like, a slight syrup to it. Hints of coffee and notes of plum and raisin. Does not have the nose on it that I would have hoped for, and overall is rather subdued, but not an awful start. As it warms, I get a sugary note, possibly candy coated raisins. A little too syrupy for my liking.

Taste: The taste is extremely syrupy, flavored by heavy alcohol and dark fruits. The syrup and alcohol combination is really entirely overwhelming, even when cold. It's like someone took soda syrup and poured it directly into the glass instead of diluting it first. I really can't get past it enough to taste much else. I do get slight hints of raisins--very alcoholic raisins--and incredibly spicy notes. Does get almost exponentially better as it warms, as the alcohol heat tones down a bit and the other notes come out more. The syrup lingers but becomes more tolerable. There are then hints of caramel, dark spiced fruits, spearmint, and apples. Even as it warms it retains a slight medicinal aftertaste, which is just disgusting, lingering at the back of your tongue. Definite rum in the taste as well, and the clove (and other) spices that go along with that). I really would recommend for your reviewing pleasure that you either take a long time reviewing appearance or pour this one and walk away for a half hour before even attempting to taste it. It will not turn out well otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is about right, it's thick and chewy. Carbonation is good--excellent, in fact, comprised of so many tiny bubbles lifting the flavors gently up--about where it should be...yet it still manages to come across as syrupy. Odd. Maybe it's the aftertaste, which sticks to your tongue for quite a while in a fashion akin to cough syrup.

Drinkability: Drinkability is absolutely abysmal. I really had trouble even making it through this review. Really subpar for a brewery like Bell's. I should note that a friend happily took the rest of it, so maybe it just depends on the individual's taste. For me, even as it warms, I just can't figure out what went wrong, especially for such a hyped beer from such a good brewery. Split this one with a friend who, at times, asked why I was still drinking if I didn't like the beer. As it warms and the taste improves, it's still ridiculously difficult to get through even given the ABV.

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Always look forward to the annual "Batch" beers from K-zoo,but I have to say this is my least favorite of the five I have had.Poured from the tap a deep chesnut brown with someamber hue,a thinner off white head atop.Big dark fruit in the nose, along with sweet alcohol,you can tell before you taste it it that its gonna be very sweet.It is sweet and sticky,big brown sugar and dark fruit really hit ya,the alcohol adds more sweetness.Wow to sweet for me to even finish an 8 ouncer,the flavors are decent just way to skewed in one direction.

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

Sweet, sticky bottle of "meh." Not worth $20/6 bottles. I hope you aren't scouring the earth for this one.

Extremely nice presentation, appearance, etc. No surprises, though, as this criteria has become par for the course (IMHO) among beers at this price range. Gotta give it a 5.0, but that seems to be commonplace at this price, and should not be weighted 20% in the score.

Nose is very nice, like a bowl of zingers microwaved for 1 minute (say, 2 Chocolates, 1 Yellow, and 1/2 Raspberry). Again, par for the course at this price. It did not get me high, so I give it a 4.5.

Taste is pretty good...Imperial Stout-ish...add some honey and butterscotch the aforementioned bowl of zingers and we're close. No coffee. Also, this tastes a lot like alcohol. Hopefully this needs to sit around for a while at 55 to mellow (or I'm just hypnotized by the post-hypnotic suggestion to "cellar" that's printed on the bottle).

Feels like a thick, satin, high quality (and alcohol) beer. Or, perhaps, feels like a nicely concentrated right-bank Bordeaux. Gotta give it a 5. (I'm kinda binary so a 1-to-5, graduated on the halves scale is hard for me to work with)

Not especially drinkable. Gets you drunk too quickly, and I had to spit to provide a reasonable reading.

This is a fantastic novelty, but I won't be falling over myself to drink the remainder of my horde. Likely trade-fodder.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

I was extremely excited to be able to get a hold of this one. A simple bottle, but I had yearned to try it. Served chilled in a pint glass, this one was consumed on 03/04/2010.

Deep, dark brown pour, dark garnet in color with a thin but noticeable head of light tan that quickly receded. Not much in the way of lacing here at all, in fact it was mostly just a bare, dark liquid most of the night. Still though you could tell it had some heftiness, some weight to it as it the light struggled to make its way through. Aroma is hard to place, the entire thing is hard to place to be honest but I will get back into more of that later. Thick notes of licorice, dark fruits, plums, figs, a hint of soy sauce, molasses, a kitchen sink was coming at me and the more it warmed the deeper it seemed to get. Again hard to place really what I was experiencing here, but it was obnoxiously good I do know that. Each sip was like candy, the 12.5% was no where to be found and I just kept pushing on. Rich sweet, candy like notes, again with the licorice and soy sauce, hints of butterscotch, a wonderful toffee like flavor and a rich chocolaty malt all rolled into one. Cannot remember the last time I had anything like this as I am really at a loss as to what it is and how to handle it. But it was good.

I don't know why I am so hooked on this one. For some reason and on some level it really, really works for me. It is so complex an odd but yet so enjoyable it keeps me guessing with each passing moment. Sublime and superb, I not only would not have an issue trying it again but am going to find as much as I can!

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DT tulip.

Batch 9000 (obviously, Dave)

A: Pours a dark, chocolatey brown with some lighter brown at the edges. Capping this is about one finger of dark khaki colored head that does an excellent job of clinging to the glass.

S: HUGE aromas of dark fruit, molassas, and booze. Brown sugar, sweet raisins, rum soaked dates, cherry, caramel, and a whisp of smoke.

T: See above. Sweet caramel and molassas kick things off and that quickly leads into rich dark fruit and rum with a touch of fudge. The smokiness of the aroma comes on a little stronger in the finish.

M: Immensely large and sweet. Coats like an oil based paint. Touch of spiciness late in the middle and on through the finish. Bits of solvent alcohol peek out and then get buried in the sweetness.

D: Considering how oversized everything is with Batch 9000, this on drinks surprisingly well. I'd love to see what some time in the cellar would do to this. Also love to see what some time in a barrel would do.

4/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Pours black with dark chocolate brown highligths and a faint dirty khaki colored head.

S - Raisiny, dark fruits, spices, malt, brown sugar.

T - Up front is sort of root beer-ishly flavored, fizzy. 80 percent of the flavor is a dark raisiny and licorice filled mixture. Alcoholic aftertaste.

M - Syrupy,sugary, viscous.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a Pours a nice dark caramel with a slim .25 inch tan head head. The head recedes quickly and leaves a nice little ring around the side of the glass.

S - Hints of licorice and sweet molasses as expected. Some hints of yeast as well. Very sweet dark sugar hints. Warm alcoholic esters.

T & M - Very sweet and strong malt hints. Molasses is definitely the overwhelming sweetness but the licorice spiciness is in contrast to this almost overwhelming sweetness. The flavor is definitely a living thing in this beer. Complex and almost ever-changing. There is some nice roasted malt character that is subdued by the sweetness but brings a welcoming and different spectrum to the beer. There is also a quite perceivable grain/bread like quality. Especially in the aftertaste. There is almost no hop character or flavor. Very creamy and oily with good CO2 balance even though the head isn't as present.

D - Now. This is a strong beer both in flavor and in ABV but its very delicious so drinkability is a give and take. I would have this beer again just not right after another.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I love this beer. I think this year is a good one!
Pours beautiful brown, good lacing, nice aromatic, slightly spicey with notes of grapefruit, molassas and hops.
Higher in alcohol but not overpowering(don't be a wimp!)I think a good session beer if your free for the day!

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours out a really dark brown with brown suds and nice lacing.
Aroma is Star Of Anise and dark charred malts.
Not much alcohol in the smell here but your nose hairs know it's there. Very strong brew.
Taste is sweet and then more sweet with a dark raisin fruityness with licorice thrown in there for good measure. Lots of different fruity flavors here but most are hidden by the sweet.
Mouthfeel is very sticky but after a while the stickyness leaves and you do want another sip.
Drinkability is pretty low but I bet this one will age well and who knows, in 2 to 3 years it might be the bomb. Right now it's more of a ladyfinger.

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks Adam, for the great trade that brought me this bottle!! Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Blue Point Snifter.

A: Generous pour yields a .5 finger, fine, reddish clay head with moderate retention that leaves a filmy layer atop the brew. Beer is a near opaque dark amber. Lacing is moderate and spotty, holding close to the edge of the beer its born from.

S: Nose is booze, yogurt, lychee, candied cherries, and a hint of licquorice. Dark and mysterious with a multitude of odors that are all well represented but with none overpowering any other.

T: Opens with intense sweet booziness. This is what yogurt would taste like if it was made with milk from an alcoholic cow. Hot and intense. Slight toffee bitterness in the middle accompanied by a licquorice. Green hop character appears for a split second at the end though this is well hidden by the enormous booze background. Finish burns down my throat making this one a real sipper. 12.5% and I taste every little bit of it.

M: Full bodied though not as smooth as I would like with a healthy amount of carbonation. Viscous and rather oily in the mouth with an intensely messy finish that leaves a lingering hotness and stickiness in its wake. As I try to take a second sip, my upper lip sticks to the top of the glass, reminding me just how full this one really is.

D: Intensley aggressive, Bells 9000 might need a little time on it to calm it down and for the flavors to mellow out and the booziness to settle down. I'll definitely be revisiting this one but as of right now, its a bit over the top. Still, great beer and amazingly complex and well worth a try.

Bell's Batch 9000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.