Bell's Batch 9000 | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 9000Bell's Batch 9000
4.03/5
Bell's Batch 9000Bell's Batch 9000

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Strong Ale

"Black, dense, and rich, this is a great ale for the cellar."

Added by alexgash on 01-29-2010

3.72/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz btl poured into Chimay chalice. I've tried this on tap, but didn't take notes. Picked up several btls as this one should age beautifully.

A: Pours a deep brown with blood red highlights. in the right light it looks near black. A short-lived head develops from a forceful pour, leaving only a ring of lace and a steady stream of bubbles from the Chimay etching.

S: Even when served too cold this one has a wonderful, bursting aroma. As the beer warms everthing is intensified and new complexities become apparent. I notice a lot of ripe fruit...plum, red grapes, dates, boozy rum-soaked raisins. Getting a little tobacco as well, kinda like a cognac dipped cigar. I'm almost satisfied without even tasting it!

T: Boozy. This one is a little hot! Lots going on. Its a little difficult to isolate individual flavors, but taste mirrors smell. Big sweet flavors all around. I get a big dose of tobacco in the finish. I took this beer down a notch in this dept because I feel there is even more heat than I would expect given the 12.5% abv.

M: Carbonation is subtle, but good for the style. Silky smooth feel.

D: Like I said its hot...this coupled with a little too much sweetness hurts the drinkability. But honestly, how much of this beer would you expect to want to drink in a session?

Right now this beer is good. In several years it may very well be incredible. This one has tons of potential, I can't wait to try it again sometime down the road. I just hope I can show enough self control to let it age long enough!

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

On-tap at Chatham Tap in downtown Indianapolis, 3/1/10. Served in a Bell's Tulip by an enchantingly beautiful waitress, which makes everything taste better. Reviewed from tasting notes.

A- Black. Blacker than the blackest black. A mocha head forms when agitated but is less than half a finger and dissipates quickly.

S- HOO! Soo boozy up front. Then some figs, dates, raisins, deep sweet fruits and along with a prominent anise from the licorice. Sweet malt/molasses smell as well, a bit of bourbon and maple.

T- Booze, up front, right away. Blows you back a bit, then a deep, rich molasses taste followed by some rich, sweet fruit. The licorice is there but this beer is not overwhelmingly sweet. It's a perfect blend of sweetness, roastiness and bitterness. Simply fantastic, after the first sip.

M- Smooth and silky. It just caresses your tongue. There isn't all that much carbonation but what there is is perfect and makes all the difference.

D- This tastes very strong at first, but as it warms up the alcohol seems to drink off somewhere....maybe into your stomach, because I had to try my damnedest not to drink this up immediately. It is soo good, beyond my expectations, but so strong that I think two should cap it off for most anyone. Three if you're a viking.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

I chilled Batch 9000 for about a half hour. The bottles suggest aging them if you can which I think I'll be doing with a few stray bottles, but I had to try some now. The Batch 9000 poured a dense, super dark brown that looked like it could've been a glass of dark maple brown sugar liquid. Even before giving the glass a dedicated sniffy-sniff, I could feel the gust of molasses. The smell was even more pronounced with my nose just centimeters from the dark hazelnut, one-finger head. And the flavor had me redefining what I thought a full-bodied, full-flavored beer.

I expected a toned-down and smooth and drinkable beer, but a complete sucker-punch of bitterness and booze had me rethinking that decision very quickly (considering the Batch 9000 is 12.5% ABV, I guess I shouldn't have been too shocked). But the flavors kept coming in distinct waves. The smooth and creamy flavor sanded down the initial crush of flavor and lightly trickled into a more than noticeable end filled with a torrential downpour of molasses with toasted roasty elements. Further investigation pushed some light hops flourishes into the middle of the brew, and maybe even the lightest sprinkling of licorice like the bottle advertises. Some were calling this an imperial stout, but I kindly disagree. This is definitely more consistent with the flavor and punch of a dark ale as opposed to an imperial stout. No complaints here, though.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Tough to get a grip on this beer. It drinks much like an Olde Ale that hasn't olded yet.

The beer pour a dark brown color that is seriously opaque; could be confused with 30 weight. A short lived tan head falters underneath the malt viscosity and alcohols. Light lacing but big on legging. All sorts of syrupy goodness to follow.

Great aromas of brown malt, molasses, toffee, and alcohol give an initial punch that's nearly a knock-out, even without sipping. Quite herbal and fruity with coriander, anise, grapes, and root beer notes. Big on pine and fresh cut grass (the hops remind me of Batch 7000 when it was fresh). The aroma is not like a lot of cough syrups my mom made me take when I was sick.

Flavors are much more intense. Heavy maltiness gives added complexities of toast, light roast, and scorched sorghum to the brown malts, coffee, and molasses sweetness. As big as the malts are, the hops give equal contributions with a serious pine, resin, and grassy taste and supreme bitterness. All this and the hops still contribute and softer herbal note that won't be ignored. Esters of plumb, grapes, licorice, and other stone fruits will develop nicely into the sherry/soy sauce notes that make Olde Ales great (the sherry and soy are already developing and will grow in complexity rather quickly).

The body also keeps up the giant proportions that begin with a syrupy, teeth coating molasses clinging feel that makes the beer linger seemingly forever. The alcohols and hops create just enough dryness in the end to keep me going back for that next sip much more quickly than I should. Carbonation also helps to lift the beer from the surfaces of the mouth and keeps the brunt of the flavors from panging against the tongue and palate. As the carbonation dissolves more finely into the beer, so will the rougher edges of the flavors to wear off- leading to an elegant Brandy-like savory concoction.

But I don't worry about this beer a bit. It will age extremely well and improve for years. Man, my cellar is going to love this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

pours dark black, light creamy head that quickly disappears. light retention. little to no lacing. looks a bit thin.

figs, raisins, booze, licorice, molasses, dark cherries. tons of scents here.

a nice sweetness, not over powering but a decent amount. lots of molasses in here. light dark fruit flavors through out. very light roasted malts, maybe some floral hop flavors. hints of bourbon and vanilla. i have heard many say it is hot but im not getting much heat. this is wonderful!

ok, the pour looked thin but it is anything but. very thick, chewy, syrupy, heavy. coats your teeth and bites your throat. light carbonation.

this is amazing, quite beautiful in every way. drinks so well, but the booze knocks it down a bit.

BRAVO!

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours pitch black with one finger of dense tan head.

S - The label reads "malt beverage brewed with molasses and brewer's licorice." Both are definitely present in the aroma. The molasses throws off a bit of a sulphur-like smell, while also being warm and sweet. There's also some vanilla and a bit of roast barley. Very rich and inviting.

T - I had heard this was going to be an Imperial stout, but I guess that wasn't quite accurate. Roasted grain flavor is low, although there is substantial hop bitterness. These are more than balanced by sweet fruits and molasses. Dark fruits include raisins, figs, and dried plums. In addition to the sweetness, including hints of caramel and vanilla, the beer has a low, earthy quality. I might not always be in the mood for this sort of beer, but for the times that I am, Batch 9000 is spot on.

M - Highly viscous and smooth. Carbonation is light, lending to a syrupy mouthfeel.

D - As I said, this is a rather syrupy, sweet beer, and I can't imagine being in the mood for this all the time, but for all that, it's well executed. I'm eager to see how this develops with some age. Recommended.

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%

A-Pitch black, perfect darkness.

S-Smelled sort of chemically to me. Burnt and bitter, with black licorice. Not particularly pleasant.

T-This beer was a monster. It certainly packed a punch. Tasted like pancakes dominated by anise.

M-Thick and rich.

D-This was not an easy beer to finish. 16oz proved to be a bit much for me, but left me with a nice warm feeling on a winter evening. In all, I don't believe it was a bad beer, I'm just not a fan of black licorice.

3.84/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle poured into snifter glass.

Pours a deep black which you can not see through at all. Slight head on the pour with very very little lacing.

Definitely smell the malt on this and the licorice.

Has a strong aged quality to it. I suspect it was bourbon aged given the taste with a very subtle hops. This beer is about malt.

No real carbonation, so it is not heavy, not syrupy like many other aged beers. However, it is not light either.

It is kind of a chilly night here I kind of wanted something a bit heavier, but I was not disappointed.

This is a beer you have as you relax in the evening or after dinner in place of or with a light desert. You will not drink this over and over, but that's because the beer does its job the first time.

I bought a 6-pack and promised 3 to friends and the other 2 I will likely cellar. This will age well.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on 1/27/2010. Notes from last week.

Pours pitch black with medium, bubbly, tan head. The foam thins out but sticks around a while with good lacing.

Big licorice aroma with a backing of roasted malt and chocolate. Mostly licorice here though. As it warms some it balances out a bit more.

The flavor is much more rounded out. Still a lot of licorice, but it is balanced with more chocolate and some dark cherry flavor. Rather bitter and slightly sour throughout, except a strong sweetness comes through at the end, leaving a cherry, slightly medicine-y aftertaste. The alcohol is covered surprisingly well but is definitely noticeable in the finish.

Heavy body; this is definitely a "big beer". Interesting mouthfeel, starting out bitter and deep and finishing sweet and somewhat fruity. This beer is a sipper for sure with the heavy body, the sweetness, and the depth of flavor. A bit on the sweet side to me, with the flavors kind of "bouncing around" a bit on the tongue. A great aging candidate for sure; I wish I had bought more of it.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured this one is a very deep brown almost black but I don't wanna call it black

I smell malts, caramels, and licorice in this one. I also can unfortunately smell booze. I love the smell here if not for the booze.

The taste is overpowering for my palate. It's a rich beer. Malty, malty, malty. The licorice is hardly noticeable on the taste, and the booze stands out to me.

It feels good in the mouth. But not awesome. It's thick sure, but I can't even describe the feeling this has in the mouth. This is actually what kept me coming back to this one. I just had to feel it in my mouth again.

Drinkability kills this rating. I can't drink more than one. I don't wanna drink another one for a long time. My other bottle is going to age for at least a year. I don't care for the taste of this beer enough to be able to drink a couple. The abv being as high as it is also contributes.

A well made beer. But for me not my favorite beer that I've ever had. I guess I am just not a malthead.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle poured it a snifter.

Appearance: I would call it a light black in color. Had about 3/16" head that was medium brown in color that dissapated fast. As I got to the bottom of my snifter the color looked alot lighter.

Smell: Sweet/malty with a sent of black licorice.

Tatse: Slightly bitter with strong alcohol. I think this one needs time to age.

Mouthfeel: Its thick but not to thick. Goes down smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall I think it is pretty good. Definitlely a sipper! I could drink another one but Im gona put them in the cellar to see how they tatse with a little age.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle poured into a wide mouth snifter. Dark amber to the light while poured. Carmel head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Picking up brown sugar, molasses, strong malt with alcohol catching the end notes.

Rolls over the palate with a dominant bittersweet licorice flavor and keeps me thinking this needs much much more time flavors to mend themselves together.

Not sure I would be drinking much of this now as time will definitely do this beer wonders to marry the flavors. Have a few I'll be laying down for at least a year and look forward to results on 2011.

2.59/5  rDev -35.7%

I grabbed a few bottles the other day and am quite deathly curious to see what it tastes like on a clean palate.

The pour is deep reddish brown with a dense brown head with a dense brown head that recedes to a disk. No real lace is present, this beer appears to be a little syrupy.

The nose is just dominated by licorice. Behind it, there's some more, and to round out the nose - licorice. This is probably the biggest black licorice bomb I've had the (mis)fortune of consuming. Huge sweetness with caramel, fruity with some apples and pears. Something about this combination brings to mind soy as well. While complex, this is far from enjoyable. Alcohol appears as it warms up.

The palate opens massively sweet with a huge, syrupy sweetness with caramel, sugar syrup and of course, licorice. Very rich and fruity with plums and some chocolate, this is one very sweet beer. Honey, brown sugar are also noted, and the finish is moderately bitter with some licorice (ha!). Part of me tells me that this is actually a good beer, but I catch myself wincing every so often. Full in body with low carbonation, the licorice and sweetness of this beer are just too much of a good thing. The alcohol is noticeable on the finish as well.

I could choke this down if I tried, but I'd much rather go grab a Two Hearted from the fridge. This is a rather complex beer that just manages to hit all the notes that I particularly dislike, so I could see how this would be polarizing.

**Edit 12 August 2012**

So it's been about 2 and a half years since I last had one. The nose has*actually* improved! While licorice and molasses still dominate, there's a semblance of balance with a slight savory soy-like note, some caramel and burnt sugar sweetness. Some roast is also present. This is complex and sweet, but it straddles the ground between a "normal" stout and something like Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout. The palate, OTOH, is still terrible. A blend of molasses, licorice, soy brown sugar, burnt sugar, simple sugar... god, this is still a trainwreck.
3.5/2/2.5

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Lucky enough to find this on draught at the Brickhouse BBQ in Madison -- highly recommend that place.

This was an interesting experience for me. The beer poured an absolutely pitch black color, but the head was tan-colored at best, and dissipated fairly quickly. Good amount of lacing spotted the glass though.

Smell was overwhelmingly malty, with no exaggeration. It was a faintly sweet smell, almost syrupy. Dark, rich, deep.

Taste...I've had plenty of doppelbocks before, never a tripelbock, but I can only imagine this was closer to a Quadruppelbock. It barely tasted like a stout.
I can't say I've ever had an Old Ale before, either, so I don't know what that would be like.
The malt taste was again, borderline overwhelming, and I've had some of the best European Trippels. The finish wasn't just a malty-smokiness, it was straight up burnt. This thing was meant to be a beast from the get-go.
Certainly a formidible hops presence towards the end, but it just can't compare with the burnt syrupy maltiness...this beer is literally unlike anything I've ever had -- in terms of strength or flavor.

Mouthfeel: unstoppable seems to be a good word. I've had RIS's before, trippels, dubbels, a number of heavy stouts and porters and doppelbocks -- but nothing compares to this. I may as well have been drinking motor oil, but that would have less of a head to it.

Drinkability: I only rate this so lowly because 12.5% is wicked strong, and the supreme maltiness (even for a malthead like me) seems a little much.

This is an incredibly unique beer, I'd highly recommend it...I was lucky enough to find it on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Buckeyeboy brought this to a tasting a couple of weeks ago.. Thanks Jeremy!! Reviewed from paper notes.

Hmmm thought this was a reworking of the 7000... I guess I was wrong... that changes the numbers on my review a bit and is bumping them up.

Dark dark brown brew... not black surprisingly... nice tan head, but drops quickly... no lacing.

Aroma is "dark", yet pretty fruity too with some brown sugar.. pretty hot... more hops than I was expecting.

Flavor mirrors the nose with some spicy phenols that I was surprised to find.. roasty with some chocolate.. but plenty of raisin... a tad too sweet for my liking.. again, pretty hoppy... big body.. carbonation is about right.

Thanks again Jeremy and to my coming 9000 contact.. you know who you are ;-)

4/4/4/4.5/4.5

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a 12 0z. bottle into a tall wine glass. Color was a dark, almost black with a thin head and little retention. Smelled of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee and sweet fruits. Taste was boozy and thick with cocoa and sweet malts to start and then a hop bite with a coffeelike taste at the finish. 1 was all i needed but then this is not my favorite style of beer. Mouthfeel was rich and thick and a lot like expedition, just not as heavy. Drinkability was low for me but a good overall offering for those who prefer this style.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dark as night, but a slimmed, cocoa-tan head.

Sweet nose, plump with dark fruits, big on the dates, raisins, fig, some cocoa and carob, rich and lush.

Tastin' it...sweet and bitter, as well... highly hopped, vigorously malted, alcohol comes crushing down. Darkness intensified....immensely malty. Dense, but not thick, not viscous. Thinking this was intended as an Imperial Stout, my first tastes had me recasting it as a mislabeled old ale. A few days later, I taste again, and think it's an old ale/ imperial stout hybrid. Or an imperial stout that stretches outside the boundaries of their excellent Expedition Stout.

Mmmm, I'm liking this more and more. And more.
this is right. up. my alley.
Wow.
Wee.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a sixer from the Binny's in Niles, IL.

A: Pours dark reddish brown and collects in the glass an almost pitch black, but where light shines through there are some attractive ruby colors popping out. A half finger of mocha/light brown/dark khaki colored head bubbles to the surface and ends up dying down to just a rim of bubbles around the rim while lacing the glass a little.

S: Smells of lots of dark fruit/figs/plum scents, molasses, licorice, raisins - all very sweet scents.

T: Tastes very similar to the smell - sweetness abounds in the form of raisins, dark fruits, figs/plums, licorice and molasses. I can see why the folks at Bell's do not classify this as an Imperial Stout as I'm not tasting much, if any of those types of roasty, chocolatey flavors - this is much more Belgian Quadruple if I had to label it. It's kind of boozy right now, especially with the first few sips. The flavors are pretty intense but very tasty and complex.

M: Very creamy and thick - especially for the type of beer this tastes like to me - it's slightly thinner than most good imperial stout, but creamier than most Quads, which I think really adds something to this brew. There's a lower than average carbonation present and some warming and bite as it goes down the throat.

D: I probably would prefer to split this 12oz bottle as it's pretty intense and sort of hot at the moment. However, the combination of flavors and mouthfeel makes this super unique and I keep grabbing the glass for more and savoring each sip. Hopefully, the heat will die down and the flavors will develop to make this an unreal cellar staple beer (as it says on the bottle), but even as-is the beer is pretty darn great.

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle into a brandy snifter--dark brown, almost black, no head, sandy colored ring.

Smells extremely sweet. The molasses is first to hit, followed by raisins, coffee, chocolate, and a little licorice.

Taste is complex. A little sweet for my liking, but I suspect it's just my novice palate. I seem to get everything that was in the nose. Sweetness seemed to be balanced by a touch of bitterness on the finish. A little too cold initially, it got better as it warmed. The alcohol also seemed to come out a little more at the higher temp, and it began to take on many of the same traits as a glass of red wine.

Thick in the mouth, not as much aftertaste as I expected.

This one is a sipper. The rest of this sixer is going into hiding for a year or so, and I'll see what matures more, my palate or the beer.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured from bottle into my favorite tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep brown color with a tan slight head. My first thoughts of the aroma are of dark fruit, maybe cherries followed by roasted malts. The taste really sweet I am guessing due to the use of the molasses followed by a tart/bitterness that bites at the tongue. I don't pick up the licorice taste too much. Mouthfeel is fairly heavy. I might wish it to have a slightly less heavy feel to it.

Does it live up to the long awaited hype of Batch 9000? Depends. It's really good but I can think of several other beers that are just as good as this one. I give Bell's props for using the molasses and the licorice though!

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

A-Deep, dark blackish/brown copper with a thin light tan head that reduced to a thin veil and left spotty lace.

S-Molasses, sweet caramel, raisin, dark fruit, oak and anise all coming around at one point or another.
An Imp. Stout, hmmm...more like an Old Ale to me.

T-Caramel sweet, raisin, dark fruit, turbinado, molasses, anise, light roasted malt, touch of cocoa and a hint of alcohol solvency. Quite sweet up front but finishes quite dry with an oak character.

M-Medium to medium-heavy bodied and actually feels somewhat "light" for an Imp Stout. Good lingering flavours.

D-I warmed up to this brew the more I drank. Overall, I found Batch 9000 to be quite nice, but an Imp. Stout...no sir, I don't think so. Way too sweet and not nearly enough roasted malt feel. Maybe this one will age nicely and let loose some of that sweetness.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Bell's Batch 9000 was a brown color with a light brown, half-inch head that quickly dissipated to a bare collar.

Lots of licorice in the aroma, did not care for it at first but I adapted (or the nerve endings in my nose were seared).

The taste was molasses, licorice, coffee, alcohol, chocolate and everything else, but the kitchen sink and a grapefruit. Very sweet but did manage to throw a bitter bone to the hop heads by way of the after taste.

The mouth feel was full bodied, very oily and modestly carbonated.

Drinkability was pretty good for a beer at 12.50 ABV. I want another one and I will have another one. Fortunately, I bought two six packs and will be going out for more tomorrow. I can hardly wait to see how this one ages.

Normally I'm not a big fan of anise/licorice but I really enjoyed it in Batch 9000.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a deep, dark brown color, nearly black with a small fizzy off white head that settles quickly.

Scent of strong, sweet dark fruit, molasses, dry oak, anise and a fairly potent alcohol heat. Reminds me more of a Strong Ale than an Imperial Stout with the strong sweetness and nearly no roast. Whatever it is, it smells fantastic, even with the noticeable alcohol.

Taste of sweet dark fruit, juicy sugar, molasses, anise, roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and some alcohol. Finishes dry with roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol. There is more roast, and less alcohol than were present in the scent.

Mouthfeel medium heavy bodied and oily with a very low level of carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a seemingly good amount of head for being such a strong stout. Color is surprisingly tame, with shades of brown and even a somewhat translucency to the beer itself.

Smell is reminiscent of very bitter grapes, with an almost champagne like quality to it.

Taste is also very similar to a dry champagne; however much more carbonic in make up and feel. It has an almost gritty texture to it that grips the pallet and gives it a very clear, crisp immersion. That being said, mouthful is very pleasant, with the aftertaste leaving a satisfyingly bitter feel on the tongue.

This is a very drinkable beer, although I would almost want to put myself in a different frame of reference while drinking it. With the carbonation and its base flavors, this is more of a champagne stout than anything I've tried before. And that's not a bad thing, it's definitely an A beer, just perhaps not the type you were expecting it to be.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Deep black with a nice tan ring. For me, this is a perfect looking stout.

S: Smell starts heavy on the licorice and sweet, but then finishes with almost charred malt. One of the more complex beers on the nose I've ever come across.

T: Fantastic. Follows the smell where it starts sweet but finishes malty.

M: Full bodied and creamy. Again, for me, textbook.

D: Very rich and thick. Even with this though, I could definitely drink another one after this!

I can't wait to see what a few years does to this.

Bell's Batch 9000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.