Bell's Batch 10000 | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

Liked:
3.83/5
Alströms:

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle, $3.10 from Pints O Plenty.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown into the snifter and as a clear dark garnet (light almost passes all the way through) when held to the light. Nice off white head with good retention and some excellent lacing. Good looking beer!

Smell: A real mess of aromas. Herbal and floral hops notes and toasty and chocolatey malts. A medicinal and band-aid phenolic smell is intrusive.

Taste: There's sweetness from the malts and toasty flavors. Cocoa and caramel. Again herbal and some citrus hops flavors and pronounced, but not excessive bitterness. Doesn't taste as much like band-aid as it smells, but a little.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full mouthfeel with very nice carbonation that feels slightly creamy in the mouth. Hops leave a sticky, resin coating on the tongue. This is a big feeling beer. Warming too.

Drinkability: This thing falls somewhere between an India brown ale and a black IPA. Overall, its a decent beer, but kind of all over the place. I'm glad I only bought 2. The other will go in the cellar.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to Cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark amber color with a white head. The aroma is tobacco, leather, roasted malt and grassy hops. The flavor is more complex, but I am not sure how good it is. I get a lot of roasted malt, smoke, dark fruit, leather, tobacco, licorice and quite a bit of hop bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very interesting beer with a complex recipe, but the variety of flavors and aromas don't seem to meld too well. Maybe this will improve with age.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz single, scooped a sixer when it came out. dissapointed to see the reviews - bell's is either losing their edge or just getting lazy with the anniversary beers. Fitting that this is the end i guess.

appearance: dark brown body, light tan creamy head with decent retention, some light garnet hues

smell: smoky, dark pine, overly bitter chocolate

taste: lacks any real depth - spicy rye, bitter pine, dark chocolate, malty, sticky sugars. This one's just missing something, or a few somethings rather.

mouthfeel: nice creamy body, sticky finish, spicy and bitter

drinkability: ok

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz. Deep mohoghany pour, just a thin layer of off white head. Does retain ok and laces fairly well.

Aroma is fairly hoppy, herbal and piney. I have a harder time picking out some nutty malt, brown sugar. I’d like some more fruit/malt/sugars something. Reminiscent of an American Barleywine.

Taste has more nut and light toasted malt, slight molasses, faint brewers licorice also. There is a solid hop presence as in the nose. Some brown sugar, rumcake, though there is not a strong alcohol component. Pretty dry and resiney in the finish. Taste is more balanced, but there is still just a tad much pine for me.

Carbonation and hops keep this pretty clean and not too tough to drink. Solid medium body, but as it ages I think this will thicken and improve. This has a really long way to go before being cloying. Had a 5,000 when I really didn’t appreciate a good brew, but the ones I’ve had since have been real solid brews and this is no different.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Dark brown pour with a fast-fading tan head. Fair lacing.

S: Tobacco leaves, smoke, dark fruit. No hop aroma. Muddled. Nothing really stands out.

T: Smoke, bitterness, astringent finish. Dark fruit, sandalwood, cedar. Moderate hop character in the finish. Second sip much better than the first. The bitterness really lingers long after the beer is gone.

M: Medium-thick, with good carbonation keeps the brew from coming off as cloying.

D: I'm not sure what to think of this one. It seemed to improve some as it warmed. It's quite different from anything standard and really cannot be pigeonholed. I've got 5 more bottles left, so perhaps I'll see what some aging on some of them will do, though I don't have my hopes up. I liked 9,000 better.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Had tonight at the Galaxy Hut in Arlington, VA. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep mahogany color with two inches of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head is a bit frothy and has decent retention.

s - Smells of dark fruit, roasted malts, chocolate, and bready malts

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and alcohol. A slight step down from the nose.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation, smooth body.

d - A lot better than batch 9000, but still not a great strong ale. A little too boozy for me. Glad I got to try it but wouldn't look to have again.

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark rye bread brown with a slim dark brown layer of foam on top. Retention was decent but the beer just kinda lays there, all ugly like.

S: Nice aromas of dark fruit, burnt grains, booze, rye, and tobacco.

T: First flavors were of a stale, stinky cigar butt. As it warms, things improve slightly but this seems pretty unpolished.

M: Plenty sticky and smooth with a nice spicy layer at the end.

O: I'm glad they stopped the Batch Series here. The last two entries were downers. Not sure the "kitchen sink" approach was the right thing for this beer.

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

A- poured an extremely dark amber/brown with a tannish colored head. pretty good lacing.

S- can't really smell much of anything. maybe just a slight malt and alcohol scent.

T- it's kind of a braveheart clash between the malts and hops. you can't really pin-point what is really going on. you can detect the alcohol taste but it's not that intense.

M- heavily bodied. good carbonation.

D- wish i bought a couple 6's but for 18 bucks a six i only got one.

Overall- this brew is truely a rarity. i tip my hat off to bell's for this one. if you get a chance to get this brew i would say pick it up.

3.56/5  rDev -7%

Aroma is a murky mess of dark malts, roast, sweetness, ethanol and fruity esters. Flavor is a little more rounded. Brown malts. Not overly roasty or bitter or alcholic. Pretty even keeled really for all that is in this thing. Fairly tasty and quite easy drinking for the strength.

I like it when breweries do these special releases and get creative, but here's one vote to bring back one of these batch beers as a seasonal....Batch 6000. Batch 6000 was one of the greatest beers I've ever had. Just had one in November and it was incredible. The tiniest little sip packed a tremendous amount of flavor.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

It was an added surprise to find singles o' this when I showed up to grab my bottle of Rare BCS. It pours an almost opaque maroon topped by a half-finger of dirty ecru foam. The nose comprises watermelon bubblegum, toffee, light vinyl, and lavender. Okay, I have no idea what to expect from this aroma: It's not really good, but it's also not repulsive. It is, though, very intriguing. The taste holds notes of rubber, tobacco, smoky toffee, mandarin oranges, and a light whiff of menthol. Again, things are all over the place, confusing the judgment center of my brain. The body is a straight medium (I have no idea how), with a light moderate carbonation and an almost chewy feel. Overall, this may be the most confusing and confused beer I've ever imbibed. And, frankly, I can't say much more than that until my mind is restored to normal working order. I'll get back to you in a few weeks...

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle served in a Surly Darkness tulip.

A: Pours a dark plum color with a light tan forming on the pour. It recedes to a whispy collar that leaves some soapy lace down the glass.

S: Some slight smoke with a touch charred wood. Dark fruit flavors with a little grape aspect to it. Roasted mix nicely with some green hops. Very intriguing.

T: Some roasted malts with charred wood flavor. There is a slight twinge of smoke and some minimal dark fruits flavors, but this guy is all malt. The finish is astringent with some dried cereal grain malt sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with a full mouthfeel. Medium low carbonation and a drying finish.

O: This guy was all malt with a touch of dark fruits. Slightly sweet and smokey as well. It was pretty decent, but nothing I'd want to revisit in the future.

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to N. Ketchum for pulling a bottle of this out of the cellar. I was going to sit on it for a bit, but I couldn't resist.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a CBS snifter.

A) Pours out dark brown. Held to light, this has some nice red highlights. There was really no head. No lacing. It looked nice, just swirling around the snifter.

S) Very nice aroma. Malt sweetness, mainly caramel. A real pleasant fruit aroma, not just dark fruits or tropical, but like a fruit punch. There was a hint of alcohol.

T) This had a lot going on, maybe too much. Starts with the malt, dark roast. It's some candy raisin and a drop of coffee. The finish is hop bitterness, not a lot of citrus, and a good jolt of booze.

M) This had a medium body, with about the same for carbonation. It was pretty smooth, not really chewy, but sticky. It was all over my gums and teeth. I was not a fan of the aftertaste.

O) This was quite a beer experiment. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I can't say this didn't live up to expectations. I can say, it's not a beer I would desire to drink on a regular basis. I suppose given the fact it will never be brewed again, this is not much of a dilemma.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Batch #10,000 (Nov. 16, 2010)

A - The clear pecan brown brew becomes almost black as it passes from the bottle into the snifter. An ivory head reaches almost two fingers before lowering, rather quickly, to a loose bubbly pile. Great lace covers half the glass.

S - A waft of smoke aroma pulls through the incredibly faint toasted malt nose. An earthy hop aroma akin to Willamet features dry leaves and grass clippings. Faint mineral finish.

T - Nutty toasted malts make much more of an appearance in the flavor than the nose. Earthy, dirty, resin-rich American-like hop blend with notes of the grass clippings and dry leaves the nose has. Rustic flavor.

M - Medium-bodied and sharp on the tongue from bitterness and rustic earthy flavors. Slightly dry with a light bitter and medium carbonation finish.

D - A fairly decent brew but kind of a let-down for the final installment of the batch series. I thought it would be a good follow-up to 9000 but it's much, much less of a beer all the way around. Despite no real alcohol presence throughout, we'll see what age does to this brew.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours deep mahogany, producing just a bit of light brown head. This slowly fades to some nice lacing.

There is an interesting balance of malt and hops in the nose. I seem to pick up a bit of citrus and pine, but also some bread, raisin, caramel, and a hint of roastiness.

As with the smell, a bit of hops comes through at first, but then is overcome by a swirl of malts. Deep, bitter roastiness is the dominant flavor, with dark fruit, and bitter chocolate coming through as well.

This beer is smooth, with some nice carbonation.

The drinkability is somewhat hampered by the intensity of flavor and hints of booziness.

At this point, this is another one of those "I'm glad I tried it, but..." beers. It's not bad, but seems a little messy overall, like it doesn't really know what it wants to be. I'll sit on the rest of my bottles for a while, and see what some age does to it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a dark brown color. The head is one inch in height, light tan in color, and recedes slowly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of quite malty with a lot of caramel, and toffee. The taste is similar to the aroma, but with an alcohol presence that sticks out in a bad way. The mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this beer doesn't impress my the way 7000, 8000, and 9000 did, but it isn't bad. Congratulations to Bell's for making it this far, and here's to 10000 more batches.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown with a great head and nice lacing.

S: sweet caramel, candied ginger, toffee, and some burnt sugar

T: It is very hard to describe, but I get some earthy hop bitterness with a lot of burnt sugar, toffee, and some slight caramel.

M: It has a smooth creaminess and little carbonation

O: Overall, this beer is very interesting and complex. I get a lot of burnt sugar out of it, but also there are other lighter background notes that have a hard time coming through because of the burnt sugar. I have to say it was definitely great getting to try for a first time, but I dont know if I would drink this again.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Well I made a mistake - not in buying this but in opening it. I just busted it right open, wanting to see what wonderfulness Bell's had for me here. I took a sip or two only knowing what was written on the bottle, which give no hint of the style.

Immediately, it was too heavy for what I wanted. Then I read that it is a barleywine. Duh, it probably should sit a while longer.

But I will say that for a relatively green barleywine (I usually let them sit in my basement for a year), it is drinkable. But that doesn't make it great, just better than most barleywines that haven't had some of my basement conditioning.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes from stout tasting.

A- dark caramel with a off-white head.

S- very sweet malts, citrus fruits.

T- sweet malts, smoke, rye, citrus.

M- medium body, slightly syrupy with dry finish.

O- decent beer. Hard to pick out a lot from this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer isn't exactly has intense has I expected. The appearance of this beer is a dark brown color with a yellowish head. The aromas are interesting, it's sweet smelling like a typical barley wine, it's got some herbs in there too. The flavor is hoppy to start and sweet and dry in the finish. This beer isn't as complex as the 9,000 in my opinion. I like the mouthfeel, it's slighty heavy but it's smooth and pretty drinkable. This beer is good but I feel the 9,000 was much better.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2011-02-26 in Columbia, PA (from tasting notes)

A - Dark, clear mahogany with a short tan head.

S - Tart dark cherry and leather.

T - Leather, smoke, dark dried fruit. Very dry.

M - Light body and medium carbonation.

O - Finishes dry and is drinkable but not my favorite flavor combination.

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a deep dark brown color with some amber highlights. Light mocha head formation, just a few bubbles that immediately breaks down to a film.

S - A light smelling beer. A bit of 2-row sweetness, caramel, raisins and a bit of yeast esters. I would say the yeast is the stronger attribute.

T - Starts with a boatload of malt. Lots of complexity, toffee, raisins, prunes, and a decent amount of burnt wood. Reminds me of the roast on a burnt hot dog on a fire. Grapefruit hops and some yeast esters that seem to be belgian in origin. Some grainy malts are there, perhaps rye. The greatest amount of hopping and bitterness shows up in the aftertaste.

M - Moderate beer body and a fairly potent carbonation. A strongly retained mouthfeel of sugar and some bitter textures. Phenolic hotness is strong.

D - Moderate drinkability. ABV is pretty strong. A very complex flavor that takes over the palette. Moderately filling.

This beer needs some age I think. Just a hair edgy at the moment. I will rereview down the road.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz into .3l tulip. from cosmicevan - skal!

Bright. Looks like laquer in the bottle, fizzy offwhite/burnt head with a lot of lacing.

Certainly get the heat in the nose. Fig/Date and a bit of malt. There is also an unmistakable citrus element, but more in the tangerine side than the lemon.

Wow, the flavor is certainly there, but what caught my attention the most is how watery this feels. There is a bit of lemony-spice at the front. Good carb and a nice mouthfeel once I got past my initial surprise. A lot of spice sits on the tounge and I'm grateful this isn't heavier as I can't imagine it would be very pleasant.

I don't know if this needs some time, but I'm not particularly wow'd with this. It's good, and I'm enjoying a glass of it, but I wish I had someone to split the 12oz with.

(95th)

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into my FFF pint glass

A: Pours a dark brown. Almost looks like a cola. A very small paper thin head that was light brown. Some carbonation is visable.

S: Smells good. I'm picking up some malt, hops, pine, and bacon.

T: Theres alot going on here, pine, caramel, smoke, coffee, choc., and bacon.

M: Thin bodied, slightly carbonated. Smokey after tatse.

D: This brew is ok. Batch 9000 was one of the first craft beers I had ever bought. So I had to get the 10,000. I couldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. More of a sipper for me. Not sure if I would consider this a barley wine. Looking forward to see how this beer ages.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

I got this one from Grant a while back. Thanks. Poursed into a tulip. Pours a cola brown with a light khaki head with giant bubbles. Sparce lacing here.

Hazelnut in the aroma with hints of fruit and cocoa. A touch of sweet mollasses in the background. Seems a bit unbalanced, a little fruitier than I would have though. The pallet gives of some nuttiness with hints of dry cocoa powder and dark fruits such as dates and figs.

The body is medium with soft carbonation. Overall not a bad beer. Not really sure what Bell's was going for here but this is tasty either way.

Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 70.4% out of 100 with 787 ratings