Bell's Batch 10000 | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 10000Bell's Batch 10000

"Strong Brown Ale"

Added by Spica66 on 11-29-2010

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.6/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours black with a finger's worth of cream colored head that recedes into a thin film of bubbles.

S: Vanilla, toffee, malt, caramel, burnt sugar

T: Initial hit of dark roast/black coffee, followed by a smoky and bitter aftertaste. Maybe some earthy hops in here, but mostly a smoky finish.

M: Thick, sticky, good carbonation, syrupy, warms well.

O: This is a middle of the road imperial stout. Not as complex as some of the great ones, but not bad in its own right.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Reviewed from notes made on 12-8-10.

Into a snifter, 10 grand pours dark brown with a golden-ruby tint. There is almost no head after a medium hard decanting, but what is there is a medium khaki/brown hue. A haze remains on top of the body and from what I can see, lots of little carbonation bubbles scoot swiftly upward. The lacing is understated and nicely sticky.

Threre seems to be a fairly even balance of caramel and brown sugar malt aromas with pine and citrus hop scents. If any advantage is attained between the two, I would say that the hops win the smell battle by just a hair. Accompanying the massive malt and hop war is a hint of a metallic smell, like tap water with a lot of iron in it.

Citric hop bitterness and hop oils yank at the bitter points of my palate and marry pretty well with the sweet malts when I take the beer into my mouth. I get a lot of brown sugar and caramel from the maltbill, as well as some acidic coffee and milk chocolate notes. The finish has a very stout-like quality with a roasty and acidic nip on my palate.

The mouthfeel is a compromise between medium-bodied creaminess and a biting hop presence. There is a lot going on in this beer, which makes it feel muddled at times, but it also serves to make the feel very interesting and varied, which I like. It makes me think more about what I am drinking.

For a kitchen sink-style experimental brew, I think it turned out pretty darned well and was certainly interesting to drink. I generally prefer style beers done exceptionally well, but this is a fun, unique beer that I will have again in an attempt to decipher its secrets.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Ah, the enigmatic Batch 10,000. I decided to review this fresh, I might add tasting notes in a year or so on an aged bottle.

A - Pours thick and brown, almost the color of a root beer barrel hard candy. Deep crimson edging when held to the light. A finger and a half beige head forms and recedes slowly. A moderate amount of lacing coats my snifter as I drink.

S - Very hard to pin down. One whiff yields molasses and brown sugar, another anise and pumpernickel bread. Alcohol pungency as well, and some citrus and grass, presumably from the hops.

T - Burnt sugar and malt liquor? Licorice and dried fruit? Definitely malt-heavy. The hops are prominent as well, but primarily as an undefined earthy bitterness. Despite all this, not unpleasant at all, and manages to taste somewhat like a barleywine. Tastes like nothing else, for sure, that I know of.

M and D - Not at all sticky-syrupy, like some barleywines. Full-bodied, finishes fairly dry. Nice, slowly-building alcohol warmth makes this a pretty charming sipper on winter nights.

This isn't as impressive as Batch 9000 (don't have a review as I lost those notes), and I don't think it will age as well, though I will hold a bottle back for a year or so to be certain.

However, I enjoy this as a weird old ale/winter warmer hybrid, and I look forward to cracking open another at Christmas.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pours a deep brown/dark copper color with 2 fingers of tan head that slowly recedes and leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma is grassy hops, roasted malts, brown sugar, hints of lemon and grapefruit, and some caramel.

Taste is hop bitterness, sweet grass, light roastiness, brown sugar, hints of clove and spice, caramel undertones and a hoppy finish with a nice bitterness and some floral hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium/low carbonation.

Overall an intriguing beer with some unexpected twists as far as strength, hops and roastiness combined. I enjoyed drinking this.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Saw the ingredient list for this beer on Bell's website. I've got to say I'm impressed but I wouldn't want this to become a trend. Pretty complex flavor based on all of the various dark and roasted malts in the grain bill.

Malt is the main player here, but there is a nice resiny hops backbone tying it all together.

Pours a dark mahogany with a tint of garnet red when held to the light.

I taste a lot of smoke, candied apple, burnt caramel, and a tinge of piney resin. The is a roasted ancho chili in the finish.

This one you have to sip and savor to really appreciate. It wasn't until I opened the third one that I "got it."

Taking a couple down to the basement to age right now.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Pours a tiny, compact head. Color is very dark brown, almost impossible to see through.

Smell is quite citrus like in its hoppiness. Also present are some pretty strong alcohol vapors that I didn't expect.

First sip is quite bitter. Really, really powerful flavor presence that lasts longer after you've taken a sip. Very dark, very caramelized, very dense.

At 9.2%, I would expect this beer to be one of the bigger ones out there, but in terms of sheer intensity, this really does blow the competition out of the water. A very powerful batch this is, worthy of being Bell's 10,000th.

3.04/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from 12 oz. brown bottle to Imperial Pint Glass. Batch number 10000, according to Bell's Batch Finder it was packaged on 11-16-10. $3.99 a bottle.

Appearance: Dark dark brown with a large rocky tan/light brown head, good retention. Thick clumpy lacing. Very little light penetrates this one.

Smell: Not a very prominent nose. Smells of citrus hops and slight wood smoke. I'm really having a hard time picking up anything specific here. The nose is very muddled, yet not off-putting. Just muddled.

Taste: Malt sweetness at the beginning, hop bitterness comes through at the end and lingers. Alcohol is pretty prominent especially after each sip, it kind of burns the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation. Fairly coarse on the way down due to carbonation. Semi-chalky powdery texture.

Drinkability: Medium

My least favorite offering from Bells so far. It's drinkable, but nothing special. Might get better with age.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured at cellar temp into my Founder's snifter.

A: Deep black with a tinge of amber along the edges when held to the light. 2 finger fizzy and cola like head that is quick to recede.

S: Sweet caramel, hoppy and malty.

T: Lots of hoppy and alcohol tones. Drake fruity sweetness come through in the finish.

M: Medium carbonate and body leaning towards a light syrupyness.

O: Good strong ale. Would not turn it down, but am not sad they only brewed it once.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Paours a dark brownish copper with hints of red around the edges. Huge tanthick head, looks almost soapy with the large bubbles.

S - This is odd...kind of a jumbled mix of smoke, leather and figs. I was hoping for more hops but this is very malt forward

T - Similar to the nose; smoke and fig but there is a hint of hop bitterness way in the back. This is an interesting barely wine, very enjoyable if you like smoked beers. The more I drink this the more it reminded me of HotD Adam.

M - Rich, malty and nice low carb. Not overly sticky

D - No hint of alcohol here just a nice smokey barley wine. If you like smoke you'll like this.

Overall pretty nice, too much smoke for me but I don't like smokey beers. I'm sure this will age very well and I'm excited to hold onto one for a while...farewell batch (insert number here) series.

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was able to enjoy this on tap at Bob's bar in Columbus... Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark brown-black pour with a creamy and dense pale tan head that settles slowly. The head eventually dissipates into a short little creamy ribbon that leaves a thick lace down the glass. Truly a beautiful beer.

Smell: The smell was a little hard to identify, but could definitely detect a lot of dark fruits and some subtle sweetness of toffee. The malt aromas were complex and delicious.

Taste: This beer was phenomenal with huge robust flavors that were nearly overwhelming. The malt profile was too complex for me to identify everything, but it reminded me of a cross between an imperial stout and a scotch ale. Incredible flavors that are well blended and powerful. Nice toasted malt flavors combined with a rich almost smoky flavor and a hint of coffee as well. The alcohol/booziness is present but not overpowering. Very well done.

Mouthfeel: The body is full and thick and the carbonation is medium, just perfect for the beer. This is an incredibly drinkable beer for >9%.

Overall: An excellent beer that is very well done. The alcohol is surprisingly mellow and this is a beer I wish I could have a large supply of. Thank you Bell's for batch 10,000!

3.6/5  rDev -6%

A - deep, dark brown with reddish tints. A finger khaki head floats on the top, leaving behind some bubbly, sticky lacing.

S - Heavy chocolate, caramel, toffee, bread, nuts, some coffee grounds and licorice. The end has a fair hop profile, I'm picking up some lemon and grass tartness.

T - Dry, semi bitter smoke and chocolate come out front. This is giving me some dryness and a bit of charred chalkiness, not a huge fan. Immediately after that, the rest of this ridiculous malt bill comes out in waves of bread, nut, butterscotch, charred wood. Hops are definitely here, but with none of the slightly tart lemon I picked up in the smell - just slightly bitter pine and acidic lemon flavors. This is one of those beers that isn't bad, but it's not great. The complexity is impressive, I'm just not digging the overall flavors. I really want to like this because the smoke and chocolate is a really well done, but I can't stand smoke, so it's not for me.

M - medium to thick body, smooth and rich with a slight chalkiness in the finish.

D - Surprisingly drinkable, alcohol is hidden wonderfully (probably not that hard to do after you look at this ingredient list), but again I'm going to complain about the smoke hanging around. Seriously, I'm a bitch when it comes to smoky beers, it's too much for me, makes me want to go eat something to get this smoke out of my mouth. This is one of those beers I'm glad I tried, but I won't seek it out.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours black with a three finger, off-white head. Lace stuck on the glass.

Smells of hops. Fruity and big hops. That's all I'm getting.

First taste is all hops but then a big malty follow through. Each sip brings slight variations on the flavor. Very hop forward, followed by malt sweetness and roast and finished with a sticky remnant of hop flavor.

Very interesting. IPA, brown ale, stout, IPA. Kind of doesn't know what it is, which might take away from the beer for some. It's a fun beer to drink because each sip is a little different from the one before.

Drinks easy but it is filling by the end. Very smooth. Seems like it would be rich but for the hops. Very good and unique beer.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Date: 21 January 2011
Glass: Standard 10oz snifter
Type: 12fl oz bottle

Temperature is 55 deg F, poured easy, 2-finger head that reduces to thin film with a bubbly center, extremely even and rather sticky lacing. Color is a deep clear black, with crimson hue when held up to the light. Aroma of brewer's licorice, heavily roasted coffee, slight bittersweet chocolate, obviously dark malts, and lots of smoked malts. Taste is described exactly the same. Slight bittering hops detected. You must construct additional pylons. Mouthfeel is bitter like black coffee -- my preference! Not very boozy. Fairly drinkable. Carbonation is less than normal. I have 2 bottles ready to sit on for many years to come.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Enjoying this brew while watching the 2011 NFC championship game. Pours a deep amber color with no particulates. Creamy light tan head.

Nose: Malt, molasses, booze, dried plum, slightly savory, slight roast, and a bit of smoke.

Taste: Smoke, booze, honey, malt, bread, dark fruit. Bold and well-rounded flavor profile while being very drinkable. High alcohol is rather well concealed.

Overall an interesting and approachable brew that presents a simple yet well-rounded flavor profile. Booze is noticeable, but I would not have pegged it as more than 9% ABV. Would drink again and am curious to see how it tastes in a year or two.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a Mohogony brown/almost black color with a huge pale head that lasts forever and leave huge amounts of lacing as it dissipates.

I get smoke, leather, burnt sugars, freash hops, and some caoco nuttiness in the aroma.

In the flavor I taste a present but not overpowering smoke (something like a beechwood or other light smoke). Roasted malts, a hop twange, and caoco nuttiness fill in the rest of the flavor.

The mouthfeel is a smooth velvet like feeling very different from the rich flavors warming alcohol. Still I cannot stop sipping this beer.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown with a great head and nice lacing.

S: sweet caramel, candied ginger, toffee, and some burnt sugar

T: It is very hard to describe, but I get some earthy hop bitterness with a lot of burnt sugar, toffee, and some slight caramel.

M: It has a smooth creaminess and little carbonation

O: Overall, this beer is very interesting and complex. I get a lot of burnt sugar out of it, but also there are other lighter background notes that have a hard time coming through because of the burnt sugar. I have to say it was definitely great getting to try for a first time, but I dont know if I would drink this again.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A- deep black with a 1/16" white head. Light penetration reveals a reddish brown hue. The head retains throughout and leaves a slow-receding lacing.

S- dark fruit, caramel, toasted raisin bread

T- Raisins and sugar cookies start it off. They quickly transition to a bitterness that is similar to coca nibs, along with a tobacco. A strong black licorice and a light alcohol burn finish this brew off.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium. The carbonation level is above average.

O- This beer is starting to come around. The last time I had it (right after release), it was much less blended. I think more time will do this even better.

Bell's Batch 10000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.