Batch 10,000

3.87 | pDev: 12.92%
From:
Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Batch 10,000Batch 10,000
Notes: "Strong Brown Ale"
Reviews: 406 | Ratings: 796
3.83/5  rDev -1%

A-Pours a medium brown with a thin off white head.

S-Moderately boozy, caramel malt, dates and figs.

T-A bit hot with caramel, raisins and dates. Sweet with some nice flavors.

M-Medium bodied, briskly carbonated.

O-Pretty good. A little lacking in depth but pretty flavorful.

HV

3.54/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to N. Ketchum for pulling a bottle of this out of the cellar. I was going to sit on it for a bit, but I couldn't resist.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a CBS snifter.

A) Pours out dark brown. Held to light, this has some nice red highlights. There was really no head. No lacing. It looked nice, just swirling around the snifter.

S) Very nice aroma. Malt sweetness, mainly caramel. A real pleasant fruit aroma, not just dark fruits or tropical, but like a fruit punch. There was a hint of alcohol.

T) This had a lot going on, maybe too much. Starts with the malt, dark roast. It's some candy raisin and a drop of coffee. The finish is hop bitterness, not a lot of citrus, and a good jolt of booze.

M) This had a medium body, with about the same for carbonation. It was pretty smooth, not really chewy, but sticky. It was all over my gums and teeth. I was not a fan of the aftertaste.

O) This was quite a beer experiment. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I can't say this didn't live up to expectations. I can say, it's not a beer I would desire to drink on a regular basis. I suppose given the fact it will never be brewed again, this is not much of a dilemma.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

12 ounce bottle, courtesy of HopHead1982.
Very dark brown color, almost black. The carbonation appears faint, and not much of a head develops during the pour. Malty, barleywine like nose with a tinge of alcohol fume. Definitely a caramel sweetness in there and some ripened fruit character. Not super hoppy, but there is a grassiness to the mix, and overall it smells interesting.

Semi-sweet, toffee malt flavor up front, with a dry complexity. Goes down smoothly with a pleasant bitterness. The alcohol is well hidden, and though I've never had this beer before, I feel like I must be trying it with the right amount of aging. The coffee and dark fruit qualities nearly approach a chocolate character, and with an herbal bite. It's not too heavy/chewy for a strong beer, but robust enough to do the job. The carbonation is nicely done.

Overall a pretty solid finish for this series. It exceeded my expectations. Now just trying to decide whether any further aging could possibly benefit this beer. I'm thinking not.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours dark brown with a substantial light brown head that lingers nicely.

Smell is roasted malts, sweet brown sugar, and molasses. Little dark fruitiness.

Upfront taste is bitter roasted malts mixed with a little sweet molasses. Little fruitiness. Increased bitterness at the finish with roasted malt and unsweetened chocolate flavors. Lingering bitter roastiness.

Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Bit syrupy.

Taste is one-dimensional and kind of boring. Nothing really shines about this beer. Average, but not bad.

7/13/2011

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

Bell's Brewery based out of Kalamazoo, MI has brewing up great beers for, well, 10,000 batches. This brew is the last installment of the 1,000 series, and owner Larry Bell takes a trip back down memory lane as a home brewer that once threw everything he had left into the kettle. 10,000 Batch is reminiscent of that home brew, featuring over 100 different malts, grains, and other fermentables, and is balanced by the addition of 60 different hop varietals between the kettle and dry hopping. Labeled an American Strong Ale, 10,000 Batch strolls in at 9.2% and pours a dark, opaque brown with a thin beige head a light lacing that sticks around. The nose is definitely sweet and malty, with hints of candied sugars, dark fruits and a little hops. A VERY complex taste from all the ingredients, and I would run out of space before I listed everything, however dark flavors such as figs and raisins, and a little chocolate stick out. A full mouth on this big beer and carbonation seems to be low to medium. A rare and interesting brew from Bell's, great to share this time of year.
Cheers!

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes from stout tasting.

A- dark caramel with a off-white head.

S- very sweet malts, citrus fruits.

T- sweet malts, smoke, rye, citrus.

M- medium body, slightly syrupy with dry finish.

O- decent beer. Hard to pick out a lot from this beer.

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 12oz Tumbler; Yet another beer mail review!

Appearance - Very dark brown with a slight brightness of brown on the bottom. Head pours around brown 2 finger width with lots of lacing on the sides

Smell - Very strong caramel and rum raisin notes, arguably some of the strongest I've smelled so far in terms of caramel. There's a pretty strong malty backbone to be had here as well, but the strongest smell are the caramel and fruit notes. Even while observing the look, I could smell the rum raisin and caramel from over 2 feet away.

Taste - Burnt Malts, Rum Raisin, and Caramel hit the palette (in that order) with a very sugar-like quality to it. There's also a very slight spiciness to it. There's quite a bit of flavor going on here and it seems to come together pretty well! Even more impressive is that even at 9.2% ABV, it doesn't feel that strong.

Mouthfeel - It's a bit on the heavier side in terms of body and it's got a slight thickness to it. It's also got a decent amount of carbonation, but it's feels fresh to the palette when drinking

Overall - This is a beer that you really have to still down and appreciate. It's got a really complex and rich flavor and tastes fresh. It's a shame that this was only brewed once because I am seriously craving some more!

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Dark murky brown. 1 1.2 finger head great ret and lacin

S; Very hoppy aroma. Floral and citrus, mostly pineapple juice. Sweet malts.

T: Some chocolate upfront. Big pineapple juice with a touch of grapefruit bitterness. Finishing with slight coffee.

M: medium body. Medium high carbonation. A touch oily.

O: very different, but pretty damn good.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Bought this a while ago and found in the fridge. Poured 12 oz into snifter.

A- Pours dark amber, dull brown. Nice head with decent lacing.

S- Get a lot of caramel malts. Candied sugars dotted throughout the nose. Maybe some coffee, toffee notes towards the end.

T- Interesting flavors here. Taste comes through a little burnt. Caramel malts hold up the flavors nice. Maybe some small hints of hop bitterness at the end.

M- Medium body. Moderate carbonation.

O- Get a lot of flavors here that make for an interesting drink. Nicely blended. Good drink, but still on the fence about it with just a few sips left. Wish I would have drank one right when I got them to compare. Still a decent drink.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

On-tap at Bavarian Lodge on November 26th, 2011. 9-10 oz. served in a snifter.

A - Very dark brown coloring with a touch of deep red around the edges of the snifter. Good lacing. Little retention of a light brown head.

S - Overt malt grains. Roasted almonds, cashews, nuts, light caramel, and plentiful dark fruits. I need a 3.75 rating.

T - Again, malts reign supreme here. Dates, figs, burnt raisins, a touch of rye bread, and slightly astringent, overripe plums. Short waves of milk chocolate as the drink warms to room temperature.

M - Medium body, good carbonation. Not particularly creamy. Average-length finish with a roasted aftertaste.

D - This is about what I expected. Still, I think this is well-done as a melting pot for malts and I would love to check out the older batches to see where age can take this.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

I got this as an extra but I can't who it came from.

It pours a pitch black; I held my glass to the light and couldn't see any light or hints of red or...

There's a nice 1 finger head of off white foam and it has oodles of lacing.

It has an overall sweet smell to it. I'm guessing a fruity sweetness, dark pitted? mixed in with caramel malt. It's very pleasant.

My first sip and I do not taste anything fruit like at all. I find some grain and caramel malt, a bitterness that is dark chocolate insinuating, toffee, perhaps figs....a pretty good tasting brew except, I'd say, the goodish flavours there aren't really vibrant. I don't know when this originally came out but I reckon it's a good drinker now so no worries on my part.

The carbonation is on the light side with a more than ample body. Some alcohol that I can feel more than I can taste and that's always a good thing. Yep. I'm liking this Batch 10,000.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was able to enjoy this on tap at Bob's bar in Columbus... Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark brown-black pour with a creamy and dense pale tan head that settles slowly. The head eventually dissipates into a short little creamy ribbon that leaves a thick lace down the glass. Truly a beautiful beer.

Smell: The smell was a little hard to identify, but could definitely detect a lot of dark fruits and some subtle sweetness of toffee. The malt aromas were complex and delicious.

Taste: This beer was phenomenal with huge robust flavors that were nearly overwhelming. The malt profile was too complex for me to identify everything, but it reminded me of a cross between an imperial stout and a scotch ale. Incredible flavors that are well blended and powerful. Nice toasted malt flavors combined with a rich almost smoky flavor and a hint of coffee as well. The alcohol/booziness is present but not overpowering. Very well done.

Mouthfeel: The body is full and thick and the carbonation is medium, just perfect for the beer. This is an incredibly drinkable beer for >9%.

Overall: An excellent beer that is very well done. The alcohol is surprisingly mellow and this is a beer I wish I could have a large supply of. Thank you Bell's for batch 10,000!

3.83/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a very deep brown with a smallish tan colored head. Not much retention, quickly dissipating to a ring of foam on the top. Large bubbly, lacing forms on the sides.

S: A little bit of citrus hops, some toffee, a little bit of a nutty aroma, a little bit of wood, and a hint of smoke.

T: An interesting combination of flavors. Some caramel and toffee, a bit of coffee, brown sugar, a little bit of floral hops. The smoke returns right at the end again.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Slight hint of alcohol, but overall well hidden.

O: Pretty good, better than I was expecting. Liked it better than 9000, but not something I am dying to have again.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a dark brown body that lets a little light through with a foamy tan head.

Smell has a lot of heat to it as well as some roasted malts, sweet molasses, and some dark fruits.

Taste has a bit of heat to it as well. Dark fruits like raisins and figs stand out, roasted malt and sweet molasses as well. A bit of a toffee like lingers in the back.

Mouthfeel is a little bit thick, almost velvet like yet still almost medium bodied. Carbonated nicely and leaves a nice bitter aftertaste.

Overall this was a pretty tasty beer. A pretty generous extra tossed in on a recent trade. A beer I will likely seek out again.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Tasted On: 11-07-2011
Freshness: Released in November, 2010
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green, KY

I believe this beer is right at 1 year old now.

Color is a deep, dark brown with little clarity. The head is tan and about 2 fingers in height, with fair retention and a nice lace on the glass.

Aromas are strong, with dominant notes of sweet, dark fruits and alcohol. This smells like a barrel-aged beer or dark Belgian ale to me, with oak and also molasses characteristics. Very nice aroma overall.

The taste is reminiscent of an imperial stout, with big flavors of toasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Rich, with malty sweetness, but it is tempered by a strong hop bitterness. The bitter aspects are not as assertive as in other strong ales I've had, however. Definitely some alcohol warmth in this one as well.

The mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, with a finish of moderate bitterness from the roasted malts.

Overall I found this to be a very interesting beer, quite unlike anything else I've had. If I had to guess what style this was in a blind taste test I'd choose either a strong dark Belgian ale (from the aromas) or an imperial stout (from the taste). I guess that's what happens when you combine 100 different malts/grains and 60 different hops in a beer.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Got this as an extra from surlytwinsfan. Thanks Marc!

A: Dark, deep brown with a thick, creamy tan head. Pours beautifully. Just about the right amount of carbonation apparent.

S: Malt, molasses, a little bit of rye maybe. Mild boozy quality in the nose. Overall the smell is good, I just wish there were a little more of it.

T: I love the way this one tastes. Reminds me a lot of He'Brew Vertical Jewbelation which is one of my all time fav beers. I find this one to be very complex. I get: malt and molasses primarily along with heavy, rich, decadent caramel; hints of vanilla; very mild spicy/peppery characteristic; maybe some dark fruit/date characteristics too; ends with a very very mild woody/rye whiskey-ish quality to me. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

M: Very smooth and silky. Easy to drink. Can hardly detect any alcohol. It is deceptive at 9.2%.

Overall, I'm a big fan. I wish I had access to more of this...I would for sure buy it up and save some.

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Bordeaux glass.

Aroma: Roasty caramel malt, an odd metallic twang, alcohol, and some scotch at the end. Metallic note aside, not a bad aroma, but it also didn't give me a great idea of what I was getting into.

Appearance: Dark brown body with a bit of a haze. Light tan one-finger head has decent retention, and leaves a sheet of foam on the inside of the glass when I tip it.

Flavor: Very strange... Canteloupe, some black licorice, come vanilla and coconut, wet leather, and Band-aid. Malty sweetness up front, and a stronger bitterness on the back end. Not what I was expecting, and not very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium-full body. A bit of peppery from the alcohol in this one.

Overall: I'm sorry to say that this is probably the first Bell's beer that I'd never care to drink again. It wasn't horrendous, but at the same time, just didn't do it for me. I'd heard some good things about it, so maybe it was just me. Give it a try for yourself if given the opportunity, but I wouldn't recommend picking this one over other well-rated beers.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Celebrating the birth of my first child last week.

Pitch black, brown edges. Good initial head, some lacing.

Smells of anise, malt, raisins, bread, citrus.

Amazingly complex. Sugar, malt, caramel, raisin, lingering pine and grapefruit flavor. Some other sort of strange notes in there (cardboard, bandaid?), but they melded into the mix.

Mouthfeel smooth and coating.

A lot like a barleywine. I just read this has 191 ingredients - hilarious! Considering that, it's a really nice concoction. I guess it's the kitchen sink, but I found it to be a tasty kitchen sink.

2.23/5  rDev -42.4%

Bottle: Poured a medium murky brown color ale with an average size foamy head with light retention. Aroma of fusel alcohol, caramelized malt with a bunch of other characteristics that are hard to describe. Taste has lots going on with notes of fusel alcohol, caramelized malt, light smoke, some paint and astringent finish. Body is quite full with good carbonation and some apparent alcohol. I guess this is what happened when you throw everything in the kettle.

895th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
12 oz

2010

App- A dark brown color with an aggressive pour only yielded a 1/2 finger of semi bubbly head. Falls to a 1/8" of a ring of bubbles. As you drink more cling presents.

Smell- A good bit of drunken raisin scent with a strong malt behind it. A good bit of that grainular brown ale note.

Taste- A mix of strong ale and brown ale. Dark fruits, booze, malts and grain. A few flavors mesh pretty well but the raisin stands out. A little awkward but still good.

Mouth- A light/medium grainular body with a bubbly medium carbonation. A bit of strong dark fruits and strong booze flavors.

Drink- This is a bit lighter and less boozy than 9000, but more bubbly. This was good but didnt overwhelm.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to Pellinore1 for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque and murky dark brown with a 1 inch puffy khaki head that settles to a small cap. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, brown sugar, and some subdued citrus zest. Taste is of toasted malt, brown sugar, molasses, and citrus zest. There is a burnt/roast flavor that comes out as the beer warms. A mild citrus zest bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good that reminds me very much of a barleywine. I am glad I got to try one of these.

Pours a very dark ruby/amber when held to light, otherwise very dark brown. Thin, creamy head with pale tan color. Nose has some dark fruits and malt. Palate has a whopper of malt flavor, dark jammy fruits, and then hops ride onto center stage (with bitterness too, of course). Finishes leafy/hoppy and dark fruits.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

A - pours a deep root beer color with sharp ruby highlights around the edges and 1 finger of off white head sits on top, minimal retention.

A - roasted caramel, light hops, lightly toasted malt as well. touches of cocoa.

T - toasted malt, roasty characteristics, nutty, burnt caramelized sugars, hops are almost gone, more of the cocoa, different spin on things. raisins, more dark fruits, this beer is the opposite of delicate very boozy and warming, the hops have faded so not sure if it would have played a strong affect anyway although still a good bitterness in the end. hot

M - decent medium body, moderate carbonation that keeps it from being creamy. harsh on the palate and a alcohol numbing affect on the toungue.

O - its alright, i like the cocoa part, less the toasted characters want more of the roasted and burnt caramel. not bad but kind of hot and a mess. not sure if fresh neccessarily means better.

2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

Very dark reddish brown, but still shy of black. Half finger of tan head with very little retention.

First whiffs are sweet, raisiny, and bready. Figs, prunes, sniffs of chocolate, roast, and hops come up with a couple of swirls. Some alcohol and traces of everything from citrus to rye and smoke are in there too.

Confusing. Definitely get some smoke, sweetness, and hops. A wide range of hop flavors; spice, herbal, citrus. The smoke sticks around. The dry spiciness I associate with rye is there, as is the breadiness that goes with wheat. There are only hints of the darker malts. A lot of the stickier dark fruits that you get in barleywines are there as well. As it warms, things smooth out a tad, but the breadiness takes over from the sweet dried fruits. Just disjointed as a whole.

Pretty heavy, medium carbonation, as expected at its strength.

Well, after 8 or 9 months, it still hasn't come together. I think this might be one that I just have to forget about for 5 years or so. Hate to give it a lowish (for the site) score, because I'm sure it will come together with time.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%

I got this one from Grant a while back. Thanks. Poursed into a tulip. Pours a cola brown with a light khaki head with giant bubbles. Sparce lacing here.

Hazelnut in the aroma with hints of fruit and cocoa. A touch of sweet mollasses in the background. Seems a bit unbalanced, a little fruitier than I would have though. The pallet gives of some nuttiness with hints of dry cocoa powder and dark fruits such as dates and figs.

The body is medium with soft carbonation. Overall not a bad beer. Not really sure what Bell's was going for here but this is tasty either way.

Batch 10,000 from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store