Bell's Amber Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Amber Ale deftly balances a mixture of toasted grain & light caramel notes with a range of floral, citrus and herbal hop notes, capped by a clean bitterness. This balance of flavors makes Amber Ale quite versatile as a food pairing option, not to mention being rather tasty in its own right. Whether serving as a jumping point to other styles or as a familiar standby, Amber Ale is central to the Bell’s portfolio.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001

Ratings: 3,126 |  Reviews: 975
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange-copper color with some cloudiness; light head, not very thick, but sticks around to the end. Nice lacing with rings stepping down the glass. Looked like some sediment/yeast effervescing at the bottom of the glass (somewhat surprising, because I don't think this is supposed to be an unfiltered brew - I could be wrong).

Smell: Slight citrus aroma; not much else noticeable.

Taste: Light malt forward, kind of bread-like. A hint of caramel. Light bitterness finish.

Mouthfeel: Good, medium body, perhaps a bit too much carbonation.

Overall: A decent all-around beer. I much prefer their porter, Two-Hearted ale, and Oberon wheat, but this beer is also worth checking out when looking for a solid, middle-of-the-road style of beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium-dark amber with a modest head; nice retention. There is some unattractive suspended sediment, but other than the look of it, I'm not bothered.

Aroma is of grains and toasted malt. Sweet and bready.

This beer has a nice flavor and balance. It starts very bready and smooth, and finishes with a tinge of hop flavor. Kind of a tea-like finish. There is a mellow nutty flavor reminiscent of some English session beers. Nice medium mouthfeel and mid-level carbonation. Very drinkable, if a bit of a bore.

A restrained, easy-going Amber, which I like in the end. Far better than Bell's Pale Ale. Worth a shot.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear amber with a white two finger head that sticks around for a while.

Smells of a toasty aroma with a light touch of hops.

Taste starts out with sweet malts followed by hops and finishes bitter.

Fairly light body with lots of carbonation.

This is a highly sessionable brew.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber pours a deep bronze amber color and has very nice clarity. The head is parchment in color and has pretty nice retention and lacing qualities.

The aroma is pretty subdued. It is slightly malty with some caramel and a touch of fruitiness, as well as some herbal hop aromas.

The flavor is pretty similar except that I am able to pick up a bit more of the hoppy character. It is nicely fruity with hints of apple, a bit if caramel and a slight toastyness.

The body is medium with a bit too much carbonation for my taste and a pleasant finish that is nicely dry. The finish is pretty nominal leaving a good mix of the malt and hop flavors on the tongue.

Bell's Amber is a classic, but I don't find it to be one of their better offerings. I could drink a lot of these and have at parties down in K-zoo when my friends were going to Western for college, but it is not really a beer I ever buy anymore unless it is the only Bell's available. If you are a big fan of ambers though, you may think differently

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured in Goose Island Glass

Appearance: murky, brownish with a thin white head with a lacing that breaks when tilting the glass

The aroma contains a slight hopp presence, somewhat citrusy, but more earthly. I can smell the malts, but it;s hard to distinguish the specific details.

The taste is very smooth, almost tastes like water, but still contains a slight hop presence.

The mouthfeel is thin, with not much carbonation, very smooth and easy on the tongue.

Overall, this is a great breakfast beer. It's light and it goes down smooth. It doesn't feel like I'm drinking a beer. This is not one of my favorites, but for its style, I dig it because it's simple.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%

Reviewed on 5/12/08. Bottle. Pours amber with a white head. Aroma of floral hops. Flavor of floral hops (light), light fruits (especially apple), sweet malt, and a bitter hops finish. As the beer warmed, it got a bit sweeter. A pleasant beer, but nothing special.
6/4/7/4/15 (3.6/5)

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%

A good transition beer. Not a bold strong Bell's but a very decent brew, better than a national brand anything. Nice hops like a pale ale. Well malted. Very good after fish. I am a missionary in people dropping white wine altogether, particularly after fish when beer is an ancient companion.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Citrusy aroma, but with my limited olfactory functionality, I'm sure it would be more prominent to most others. Cloudy amber look, "my vision is good." Clean taste that would pair well with food. Good mouthfeel, a tad to citrusy for my tastes, I'm sure some would find this appealing.
Quality product, worth a try.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%

Let me premise this by saying that I will probably edit this review in the future when I have a fresher beer. As I was searching around Bell's website I noticed that I could look up my beer's batch number. I discovered that my particular beer is possibly old enough to have impacted the taste..

A-cloudy deep orange with a one-inch creamy white head. head disippated shortly after pouring but left nice lacing.

S-bready malts, slight hint of hops if you're really smelling for it.

T/M-smooth and malty up front with a nice balance of carbonation. finishes crisp with the slight hint of hops detected in smelling.

D-Mouthfeel of this beer probably makes it pretty drinkable. However, I am not a big enough fan of the taste to turn this into a session beer.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%

I guess Bells is big on bottle conditioning. I don't think I am a fan for that in this type of beer. The bottle poured with a cloudy amber color. Head was good and lasted most of the way. The hops were notable but nothing over the top. Taste was good and very fresh, but the yeasty notes just don't need to be there. I really think this might be a better beer if it were not bottled conditoned. Worth a try, but I think it could be better.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, Batch 15051, PKGD 11/11/15. It has to be at least 5 years since I had this beer. Amber ale - what ever happened? Now they're all overly hopped IPA's and "Session IPA's". Nice to come back to reality, thanks to my friend, Ken, for buying and sharing.
A - amber colored ale with a creamy ivory head that slowly fades to a foam
S - earthy, floral, and very herbal hop aroma coupled with caramel, grain, and pale malt
T - earthy and herbal again here with yeast, caramel, toasted grain, toffee, faint fruitiness and some tea-like notes
M - medium body, ample carbonation, finishes semi-bitter
O - not my favorite amber ale and always seems to be one that I want to love more; either way this is definitely a trip down memory lane. It reminds me of when I first started out rating/trying/reviewing beers. I've never been crazy over herbal hops, and this one is no exception. I always end up liking this one less than I feel like I should, and it ends up being just mediocre for me.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by malts. Taste is caramel malts up front, some hops, slight bitterness at the finish. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall this is a solid beer.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

The bottle lists an abv of 5.8%. Batch number of 8869 tells me it was bottled on December 3rd 2008. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light tan head. Hazy amber. Pretty good head retention.

Smell: Bitter with some light citrus and grapefruit.

Taste: It's just a damn good amber ale. Bitterness and hop flavors are dominant. Seems more bitter from the bottle than when I had it on-tap.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

On-tap at Bulls Head Pub in Lititz.
First time having Bells Amber. Looks good sitting in the glass with a creamy off-white head and sharp clarity. Nose is subdued but smells fresh. Mostly caramel and bready malts but there is a bit of earthy hop aroma coming through. Palate is quite mild, even compared to the nose. Clean caramel malt flavor with a small hop profile. Moderate body with a proper level of carbonation. Easy drinking brew that could easily be sessioned. Although I enjoyed it, I was expecting a bit more from this beer in the flavor department. Nonetheless, worthy of a try.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Cloudy translucent orange with minimal white head and little lacing. Aroma is floral, perfumy, and malty. Taste follows the nose. Reminiscent of spring flowers with a light spicey malt backbone. Carbonation is present in the body. Light, effervescent and sweet. A pleasant beer, but nothing special.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Thanks for sending this one, Jeff.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a finger of light khaki head.

S: An alright aroma to this one. Some toasted malt and bread notes with a bit of floral and grassy hops. Light sweetness with the caramel and toffee notes coming through.

T: There is quite a bit of grassy hop flavor with just a bit of bitterness. Most of the flavor comes in the form of toffee, toasted bread, and caramel sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: An okay amber ale, but not really any better than any number of amber ales I've had.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Pours a hazy amber/brown with tons of yeast chunkies throughout. Aroma is of light grain. Taste is big toffee, toasty grain flavor up front, followed by some earthy, fruity flavors, and a bit of bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is rich. Overall a good Amber Ale that I would get again.

3.58/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper/amber, very lightly clouded color with a small white head that settles very slowly. Smell a bit of caramel and sweetness. The malt smell is present, but the smell is nothing to write home about. The taste is pretty much like a typical amber ale. A hoppy taste with a stronger malt presence, with just a bit of grapefruit. The mouthfeel is fairly typical for you average amber ale. The drinkability is very high considering this beer is extremely light and crisp.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Cloudy and orange in color with a thin white head. Lots of suspended sediment in here as well.

Smell: Malty and a little sweet with some grain and a little citrus. Rather week.

Taste: Good malty sweetness toffee and toasted malt and a slight bit of bitterness in the finish with some citrusy hops.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Medium body with medium to medium high carbonation. Not much on the nose for a Bells beer but it makes up for it in flavor.

Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.