Bell's Amber Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Amber Ale deftly balances a mixture of toasted grain & light caramel notes with a range of floral, citrus and herbal hop notes, capped by a clean bitterness. This balance of flavors makes Amber Ale quite versatile as a food pairing option, not to mention being rather tasty in its own right. Whether serving as a jumping point to other styles or as a familiar standby, Amber Ale is central to the Bell’s portfolio.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001

Ratings: 3,101 |  Reviews: 967

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

quick review here: this a great looking beer; unfiltered amber gold with a small white sudsy head. smell and taste is dry leaves, apple, grain, buscuits, lemon pepper, clove. not overly bitter but pleasantly so.

Not being a big fan of ambers, I enjoyed this immensely.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bell's' flagship. Bell's, Bell's, Bell's. And no brand-whoring about it, Bell's gives what you want from a brewery. In the interest of full disclosure, I wear their belt buckle.

Bottle to pint glass. Moderate mostly white head with a touch of brown. Excellent lacing retention. Damn near perfect color for an Amber; a tiny bit less color than the subjective amber idyll. Very good smell, though pretty subtle.

This is amber ale. Not 'an' amber ale. If you want to drink a straight up amber ale, this is it. The taste is spot on. Leaning towards sweetness, as ambers do, but not at all overly sweet, as is far too common for the genre. Mouthfeel is perfect. This is very good beer.

Here I will qualify: I, personally, would prefer a more balanced ale; in particular, a touch of hop in the finish would make this beer incredible. And, in truth, there is a lack of hop in the finish. (See Stone's Levitation - an American Amber Ale - for a comparable beer of a different genre that I personally prefer).

Overall, I will say it's not my favorite beer. Not even close. But it is as close to the perfect straight Amber Ale as I've ever tasted. And according to the way we try to rate beers here, this deserves one of the best ratings I've given. Again, there are dozens of beers I personally enjoy more, but, that being said, this is far and away the best straight amber I've ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Bros have this one scored really high. The problem with Amber is that it tastes different batch to batch, sometimes bottle to bottle. I would recommend having one and then a few months later having another one. Maybe I'm crazy.

The times when it's been good, this beer is super drinkable and very tasty. When it's not good, it honestly doesn't taste a whole lot different from Michelob Amber Bock. Sacrilege!

However, this beer is ridiculously popular in the upper Midwest. Chances are, if a store carries Bell's, they carry this brew and Two Hearted (a beer which the Bros have ranked very low, surprisingly).

Give it a try if you find a single, pass on a six pack though.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Bottled 01/19/2012 Poured in pint glass
Back label mentions this beer was first brewed in 1985 and “embodies the heritage of the Bell’s Brewery and nature of Great Lakes Region.” Big claims that I’m excited to enjoy!

A- Unfiltered, amber with 2 finger off white head with decent retention and lacing.

S- Nose is great combination of malts, caramels, toasted gains, hoppy with citrus notes

T- Smooth citrus up front, smooth and malty in middle and quickly subsiding to a crisp hoppy, grassy finish. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

M- Medium bodied with slightly chewy feel. Good carbonation that works well on the palate. Ends with nice crisp finish.

O- Definitely lives up to the Bell’s name. My favorite offering of the Amber Ale style. Without a doubt I will recommend and purchase again!

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottled 7/30/12

Appearance: Pours a really nice, medium amber color. Forms a decent head that goes away pretty quickly. Lacing is sparse, and the beer appears to be unfiltered. Pretty nice.

Smell: Absolutely STRANGE. It smells dirty. Musky. Like a wet trunk. It isn't very pleasant at all. To be honest, I figured this was a dud based on the smell alone. Really not a nice smelling beer to my nose.

Taste/Feel: Thankfully, what matters most, is probably the best part about the beer... the taste. It has a pretty mild carbonation with a whole lot of malt. Some of that muskiness from the smell I get in the taste, but it's barely there, and goes away quickly when it does show up, which is a very good thing. There's a little bit of spice there too, but I just get a lot of malt, and I dig it. There are traces of alcohol in there too. The feel isn't bad at all... it's great for an amber, with a fairly low carbonation.

Overall, I thought right off the bat I'd be let down as soon as I caught a whiff. I was happy to see that the taste isn't much like the aroma at all. I actually enjoyed this beer the more I drank it, and I feel I'd just enjoy it more if I tried it again. A very good amber if you can get passed the smell.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.