This One Goes To 11 Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

This One Goes To 11 AleThis One Goes To 11 Ale
92%
Liked This Beer
4.16 w/ 678 ratings
This One Goes To 11 AleThis One Goes To 11 Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

This One Goes to 11 Ale opens with bright, juicy aromas such as tropical fruits & ripe cherries, largely derived from massive kettle & dry-hop additions of Southern Hemisphere hop varieties such as Galaxy, Motueka, and Summer. The citrus & resinous pine notes of the Pacific Northwest hop family are also well represented, making their presence known through Simcoe, Citra, and the newly released Mosaic varietal, just to name a few. A wide range of specialty malts anchor the hops to this Imperial Red Ale, contrasting the assertive bitterness & juicy aromatics with a robust, toasty depth of flavor. Fermented with Bell’s signature house ale yeast, This One Goes to 11 Ale finishes with a lingering warmth.

Added by aasher on 10-03-2012

Liked:
4.16/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Very easy going, quickly growing, yet calm, foamy, yellow tinted, head. Brew is pretty hazy amber color.

Awesome Simcoe nose on this brew. Caramel and toffee also stand out. Mildly over hopped for the style, but I'll let it slide.

Amazing flavor for being 11%... No heat. Great, malty, sweet-bitterness. Nothing is overwhelming. Toffee is prevalent along side bread-y caramel. Carbonation is high and back side alcohol is (slightly) detectable.

Uh-oh, this one goes down FAST. A killer brew from Bell's. I'm not sure I could picture a much better 11,000th batch... Congrats Bell's, keep 'em coming... Now, ship to COLORADO, please!!!

Thanks to the BAer who brought this to the Nov. '12 Philly 'burbs bottle share.

Nice reference. (It's Spinal Tap, for you damn kids who don't know anything.) Rusty brown color, pretty clear, with a foamy white head that receded to a ringlet, leaving a bit of lacing behind on my Stone sampler glass. Good mix in the aroma of bready crystal malts and fruity hops. Taste is similar, toasted bread, sweet malts, caramel, citrus and a bit of tropical fruit, slightly herbal and not too bitter. The hops take control ultimately. Medium body, and quite drinkable, with the higher ABV pretty well-hidden. I'd like to try this one again when it's not surrounded by stouts and sours, but it was a good one nonetheless.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

One time I found myself stranded in a hotel parking lot in Hammond, Indiana. It was Dark Lord Morning, my asshole friends had left without me, and it was apparent that the cab I had summoned and hour and half before wasn't ever coming to get me. But then I see these guys loading a hatchback up with beer. Figuring they're going to the fest, I play nice and ask if I can come along. They say sure, hop in.

Turns out they were Bell's employees, including one of Larry Bell's kids (daughter, maybe?), and they were as nice as could be. They said they had a keg of batch 9000 in the trunk.

"Wow, I still haven't opened my sixer," I said.

"Th-that's probably a good thing. Let is sit for a while," said a dude.

"Like, a few years," said another, and they all laughed.

So here we are 2.5 years later and that sixer is still unopened. And, jeez, we're already two thousand batches past that one! A-and the reason I didn't buy any batch 10k--didn't even bother to read about it, as a matter of fact--was because I'm tired of aging beer, there's only so much room in my cellar. So when the dude at the liquor store told me this one was ready to drink, I was cautious but optimistic.

Chalice pour, thick and fizless. Dark red with a tiny white cap.

Smells... surprisngly tame. Like a really thick, hoppy imperial red. Nodes of melon, rusty barley, and pine.

Tastes like a fresh hop cone. At first. Then it settles down into more of a regular impy red, bordering on a double IPA. Thick, syrupy caramel malt mingles with large nodes of citrus and pine, and while everything is good it ain't exactly expertly allayed.

So... age it? Maybe? It's pretty good--certainly drinkable--but not really much of a big milestone beer.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Thanks to beesy for my test bottle of this!

Pours deep amber with a creamy 2 finger off white head. Very sticky lacing down the glass.

Aggressively hopped in the nose. Sweet citrus hops along with a load of resin. Booze is a bit present in the nose and a rich caramel aroma as well.

Tastes like candy coated hops. Tropical fruit and citrus up front lead into a heavy caramel presence and a sting of booze. Finishes with super resin and grapefruit leaving a stinging afterbite of hops and alcohol.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation levels. Booze is a little bit too present, but not completely over the top.

Enjoyable beer, but yet again a hoppy offering has exceeded my palate's ABV and the booze detracts a bit from the overall flavor. Not sure if this one will be any good or a complete mess with a little time, but I'll cellar one to see.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

This one probably needs to sit a while. Pours out a slightly brown with not a lot of bubbles. Lacing for sure though.
Smell is dates and bread with some raisin and alcohol.
Taste is very warm with alcohol first then the malt and sugars. Kind of one sided as I couldn't get the "red" in this brew.
Mouthfeel is very sticky and boozy. Needs some time to 'cure' some.
Overall I didn't get much out of this one. Just a really boozy sugar malt concotion.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

This poured out as a deep amber color with very little head on top. For as little of a head on top there was a decent amount of lacing. Pretty impressive. The smell of the beer is hoppy, it's got a light amount of bold malt and hops on the nose. The taste of the beer is hoppy, it's got a solid bitterness to it with a decent toasted malt backbone. The mouthfeel was thick, heavy body and gently carbonated. Overall this beer was pretty damn good, glad I was able to finally try it after reading all the hype about it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This One Goes To 11 Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 92% out of 100 with 678 ratings