This One Goes To 11 Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

This One Goes To 11 AleThis One Goes To 11 Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

This One Goes to 11 Ale opens with bright, juicy aromas such as tropical fruits & ripe cherries, largely derived from massive kettle & dry-hop additions of Southern Hemisphere hop varieties such as Galaxy, Motueka, and Summer. The citrus & resinous pine notes of the Pacific Northwest hop family are also well represented, making their presence known through Simcoe, Citra, and the newly released Mosaic varietal, just to name a few. A wide range of specialty malts anchor the hops to this Imperial Red Ale, contrasting the assertive bitterness & juicy aromatics with a robust, toasty depth of flavor. Fermented with Bell’s signature house ale yeast, This One Goes to 11 Ale finishes with a lingering warmth.

Added by aasher on 10-03-2012

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

A- Poured into tulip glass. A deep amber color with an inch head that dissipates quickly.

S-All I really get is a great smell of hops. Really enjoy the smell of this beer.

T-The first taste I get is lots of hop flavors. That's really all I get. Has a deep after taste of malt or grain. It is very "boozy" to me also.

M- Mouthful is good. Very clean, but strong in my mouth

Overall- The first time I had this beer I wasn't really a fan. My second bottle was much better. I think this is not my style of beer. I did enjoy it the second time, but it was a really hard beer to figure out. A very strong beer, or "Boozy" to me the first time, but not so much the second time.

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

I've been waiting to get my hands on this beer for a number of months. I was fortunate enough to find a bottle, but wasn't able to get more.

Appearance: A very nice orange-red color. No haze. A pretty nice creamy head that's about 3 fingers in height, but it goes away after about a minute. Lacing is pretty good on this.

Smell: All hops, really. Massive hop aroma. A lot of the citrus and piney aromas.

Taste/feel: Mm. Quite interesting. When I first took a sip, I got a massive amount of bitterness. Soon after, you get a good burst of malts. I found that surprising at first, but then I realized I was drinking an Amber. The after taste is probably the best part about 11 Ale. I get a lemon-like aftertaste with the malts and hops. It lingers for a little while, and I like it quite a bit. I'm surprised I'm giving this beer a 4, because I find this to me IMMENSELY bitter. This One Goes to 11 indeed. Very intense -- almost too much so for me. Regardless, a quality beer. The feel is a nice one ... pretty smooth, with a low/medium carbonation. I enjoy it, but I won't cry knowing this is more than likely my last one.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

It's a deeply-layered brew and hard to work through the amazing flavors it holds. Lots of tropical fruits on the nose that eventually dissolve in to a sweetly caky scent. A real interesting beer by Bell's here. Wasn't prepared to like this as much as I did, but one that I may now need to be sure I'm grabbing another bottle or two of soon.

This one goes to 11 Ale. Thanks big man.

Amber-red colored with medium head and retention. Good hoppy notes in the aroma riding on a good malt character. Tastes very tropical-citrus without being sweet, a little boozy, perfect level of bitterness and an amazingly clean finish. Little thin on the body but not that I mind. It's a pretty good double IPA but not exactly my type.

4, 4, 4, 4, 4

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

a: copper, off white one finger head

s: primarily piney resinous hops

t: sweet malts at the forefront. piney hops then take over. some citrusy hops as well (grapefruit). aftertaste seems a bit off

m: medium body. carbonation appears off - seems flat.

o: Alcohol does hide itself well. Would never have guessed it was 11%. Enjoyable but I prefer Nosferatu between the two. Nosferatu is also much easier to obtain.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Batch 11000 PKGD
09/13/12 A

A= Pours a super dull looking amber color almost a brownish amber with a nice haze to it and a thin active head on it that rises to a half finger and falls fast to a ring around the glass. Nice lacing is left despite the small head.

S= Smells nice and tangy with some fruity hops coming through and some caramelly malt. A true mix of hops and malt.

T= The taste is a strong strong hop punch up front. Big resin hops and a strong pine flavor. A little tropical fruit hop punch and a ton of sweet sugar malt to back it all up. The finish is a little buiscuity and there is a bit of an alcohol presence.

M= The mouth is a little thick and syrupy for me.

O= This is a solid beer. It isn't quite what everyone has made it out to be but it's good. A little strong on the alcohol and a little too syrupy for me but it's stll a nice brew. I got another bottle to share with some friends and I will enjoy it stil but it's not the amazing masterpiece I've heard it to be.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep amber to ruby red with a fine bit of lace.

Pine and resin in the nose.

Big bold taste with a huge chewy mouthfeel. You can almost chew the hops. Plenty of bitterness and sticky hop resin. There appears to be some caramel malt backbone but it is hidden behind a barrage of hops. The alcohol is hidden as well but this doesn't drink like a regular amber ale and pushes the envelope even compared to those west coast amber ales. A touch if vanilla and caramel in the finish.

Finishes dry and this is very drinkable. Lots of lingering pine and hop resin on the tongue. Simply delicious and it truly goes to eleven. Well done Mr. Bell.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

I find a great deal of amusement in the same back-and-forth dialogue in Spinaltap about the "...goes to ten. No, goes to 11" is very much the same argument that Bell's put up when they said that there may not be a celebratory beer for their thousand-batch series past 10,000. ...and now this!

This imperial red ale pours just as expected: Deep brownish red tint with a mahogany backdrop. Brilliant clarity further enhances the red appearance. The high octane beer releases a dense foam cap that retains and laces nicely, but does eventually succumb to the gravity of its alcohol underneath.

Hop character dominates the nose with aromas of citrus fruit, tropical fruit, fragrant herbs and grasses, and sprucy pines. Not to be completely over shadowed, the formidable malt rise to balance the hops with the scent of toffee, brittle, roasted peanuts, bread crust, and freshly toasted barley. Cherry-like esters emit from the acetone scented alcohols and further the complexity and balance.

Strong flavors of malt wash the mouth with a semi-sweet toffee and caramel blend. Toast, nuts, and biscotti works in complement to the sweeter taste and gives a moderate creamy starch taste that also supports the hops to come. The middle palate is a balance of malt and hop flavor as the taste of grapefruit pulp and pith, orange zest, apricot, mango, and freshly muddled cannabis-like grasses and chives rise to challenge the taste of sweeter and more bready malts. As the beer paces deep into taste, it develops a dry malt taste as the hops turn deeply resinous with the flavor of pine sap and pungent earth. It's this latter taste that invites the alcohol flavor of super glue and cherries that extends well past the finish.

Medium bodied, the beer's carbonation, dry-toast character, and hop dryness that keeps the beer from pushing further into fullness and heightens the sense of drinkability. But despite it's relatively high sweetness and full flavor, the beer retains a semi-dry texture throughout. But the late palate ushers in a deeply resinous bitterness with low-lying astringency, high alcohol warmth, and strong bite in the throat.

Although this one goes to 11, it definitely pushes the ranges of where red ales meet American barleywine but becomes a bit bullyish with its strong alcohols that are exposed by its attempt to dryness and drinkability.

This One Goes To 11 Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.