Bell's Winter White Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale
Liked This Beer
3.64 w/ 2,265 ratings
Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.

Added by maxpower on 02-22-2003

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,265 |  Reviews: 749

4.49/5  rDev +23.4%

the bottle looks very picturesque and i love it. I know right away i am going to enjoy this beer.

It pours a cloudy, hazy wheaty yellow color with a tint or orange. Only a half finger lace of head rises to the top. It doesnt have too much staying power and is gone within seconds. I poured this beer into a pint glass.

I can detect a hint of orange/lemon fruit flavor but not too much. The main smell is the wheat and the oats. It reminds me of oatmeal and hay for some odd reason. After further review i can taste another hint of citrus in it.

The flavor is great and i can taste citrus/lemon in the beer now. I still taste the wheat and i can taste the yeast but the fruity citrus flavor gives it that extra zing that a witbier has. Excellent taste! i feel like i am in heaven!

It goes down smooth and no bitter aftertaste but the orange flavor stays back to let me know that it was apart of the beer. It feels like a wheat orange afteraste.

I have to say this is one of the best beers i have ever had. Hoeg used to my favorite witbier but this one tops it. I love it. I will def get a sixer of this if i can find it in my area.

4.48/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoy this seasonal beer from Bell's. The beer is slightly cloudy looking.
Aroma has hops and citrus scents to it with a light fruit flavors/
First taste of this beer is very strong and bitter, but finishes very smooth. Well balanced with flavors of hops and citrus. I definitely enjoy this beer more than just in the winter time

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting alternative to dark winter beers....definitely one of the more underated beers out there. A very tasty enjoyable beer....

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There are sediments at the bottom of the beer. Smells slightly sweet. Cool and refreshing feel. Has a refreshing, tasty aftertaste. Overall a little sweeter and bread-like.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Batch #9472.

A: Pours a nice, slightly hazy gold with a thin, foamy head and large, effervescent bubbles.

S: Strong bready yeast flavor and thick, wholesome wheat malts, reminiscent of Ayinger Brau Weisse.

T: Strong wheat malt that's slightly sweet around the corners, bananas, and a faint hop bitterness.

M: Slick and juicy with strong carbonation.

D: Although I still enjoy this brew more on tap, it's amazing how much freshness they were able capture in this bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

The beer pours a hazy, murky orange tan color with good head retention and lacaing. On the nose this is a VERY spicey wit still beer, with lots of clove and almost a lime aroma. I really like the way this beer smells. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, though the beer has some surprising heft and richness for such a low abv. beer. There's also some underlying hoppiness that I quite like. Not surprisingly, drinkability is outstanding in this beer as well.

A couple of thoughts. This has to be one of the better domestic wit style beers I've ever tasted. However, I think it a bit odd that Bell's has chosen to make this there winter beer. Frankly, I would prefer to see something like this in the Summer time, when I could better appreciate the low alcohol and what I associate as summery flavors. All that being said, this is a very good beer from Bell's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A great example of a witbier. Very spicy and citrusy, with hints of coriander. Color is a beautiful golden orange hazy color that is a treat to the eye. Good hop presence, perfect carbonation for a beer such as this. An unusual selection for a winter beer, but a good one anyways.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a pale pale golden color. There is a finger of head taht falls to ring the beer. The nose is all about he wit. There is a lot of orange and spice from the malt and the yeast. Smells like a nice beer to me. Not my favorite style, but I do like it. The flavor is dominated with the spices initially, but hte sweet orange character comes through secondarily, with a grand finish of spice. This is a really nice wit beer. The feel is thick. More thick than others I have had in while. A really nice wit. the finish is a bit creamy and easy drinking. I am glad I have another of these beers waiting for me in the cellar. Try it if you can. Interesting take on a winter brew, but welcomed relief from the big hops and big malts.

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a tulip glass. Cloudy, light orange with copious white head and fair amount of lacing. Smells like a solid hefeweizen, yeasty, fruit esters – pineapple, bubble gum, banana. Tastes like a pretty solid wheat beer, a lot of citrus (lemon, orange). Absent are the spicy notes, nice clean finish. Mouthfeel is light, a little soapy and very smooth and easily quaffable. This beer is a solid beer for spring and summer BBQ, the low ABV argues against the ‘winter’ aspect of it (it’s such an enjoyable beer, it could be imbibed year round). Hands down the best US wheat beer I’ve had – love the can for convenience and portability.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Orangish/brown colored with extreme sediment. This beer is completely opaque, nearly identical to a dense hefeweizen. Two fingers of slightly orange-tinted head rise with moderate retention. Some lace.

S - Moderate citric twang from the wheat balanced nicely with chalky, dusty yeast. Spice is faint but detectable with suggestions of the coriander and orange peel popping in and out.

T - Although this is lacking some of the obvious spice quality of other witbiers, it makes up for it in extreme balance. Orange peel and lemony wheat engage in some interesting interplay with the chalky notes from the yeast. There is a small bit of sweetness with the perfect level of tartness. Mid palate the sweetness and creaminess of the wheat fades into a peppery and slightly phenolic taste while some dusty yeast lingers. Mid to late palate the coriander makes a brief appearance and fades into an herbal, tea-like bitterness. Finishes clean.

M - Very interesting. Winter White has a solid medium body with an unmatched creaminess for the style. Carbonation is moderate and compliments both the citrusy elements and the fuller-than-average body perfectly.

D - Bell's has strayed from typical wits with this offering, but this is still a remarkable beer. Winter White strikes an excellent balance between the thinner, spice-laden wits and the overly chalky, orange-sherbert-like thicker wits. I could put down several of these in no time. A stunning and unique example of the style.

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

When I poured this beer, it looked like orange juice in the glass. It had a foggy yellow color, possible sediments in it with small bubbles. It had a very sweet/sour smell to it, fruity to say the least. I tasted a pleasant wheat flavor, it was very full and strong bodied. It had a thick texture to it. Overall I enjoyed this beer and would sip on it again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Comes out of the tap a hazy, opaque amber with a fine-bubbled off-white head. Aroma is honey-sweet and malty with a hint of lemon. Yeasty, malty, honey-sweet flavor has a lemony undertone. Thick, smooth, fizzy texture leaves a subtle tingle and a yeasty, rubbery, citrus finish.

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into tulip glass from 12oz bottle. Straw colored, cloudy from sediment. Decent off white head and heavy lacing. Strong bread notes. Crisp and clean taste with very mild bitterness at the end. Excellent wheat beer.

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow, maybe I am just thirsty from having officiated four hockey games tonight, but this is a keeper in my book. Straw color with a touch of cloudiness, light going down and a magnificent wheat beer.

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Very nice ale. Mildly yeasty taste, smell. Just right, not too much. On the next bottle I will leave a half inch and swirl it around to get all the yeast. Why not - it will probably be very tasty.

Bell's usually produces very fine products and this one is up to their standards. I will try to get it again some time (so much beer to drink and so little time).

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a half chalice.

Pours a cloudy medium straw with a bubbly head that recedes quickly.

Aroma is of citrus, orange and wheat with a hint of banana.

Flavor is bubble gum and wheat. I don't care what the label says this is an excellent example of a hefe weiss. Fruity citrus and bready wheat with a banana undertone. The yeast in this one works perfectly.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Carbonation is light and perfect.

Drinkability is excellent for the label.

If Bell's labels this as a white ale, I would love to try their hefe, cuz this is a good hefe of it's own right. First Bell's I've had and it's excellent. Believe the hype!!

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Hazy golden orange appearance. Actually, quite murky looking. A fair sized off white head sits on top and leaves sparse lace down the sides of the glass as I drink. Aromas of clove and banana, yeast and pepper hit my nostrils. The taste is quite nice. Very nice bavarian weizen profile. Some great banana and vanilla things happening. And more subtle tones of pepper and clove. Yeasty tones are quite nice and a little bready. When I tasted this tonight, I was hoping for a big ol weizenbock or something. I didn't know what style it was, but after tasting it, I was guessing German style Hefe. It has a great full body and a luscious mouthfeel. Very easy drinking and quite tasty. After one try, I'd have to say I prefer this to their Oberon "American Wheat" beer. I just think it has more character and depth. I'd like to see this one in bottles over the summer.

4.34/5  rDev +19.2%

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 47.3% out of 100 with 2,265 ratings