Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bell's Winter White Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale
3.64/5
Good
Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.

Added by maxpower on 02-22-2003

Ratings: 2,269 |  Reviews: 750
2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

Attractive color of diluted tang. Far too gentle aroma and very spiratic. Hints of coriander, light wheat, dried apricot, clove and spice. Again, very subtle in the flavor. Tingling spicing but not enough. Notes of banana peel, peach and light wheat. Shows weiss and white style. An average American wheat but I expected more from Bell’s.

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving some lace. Hazy yellow/amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Hoppy/yeasty nose. Starts with a hoppy/citrusy flavor, dry hoppy finish. Batch #7195, $1.79 for a 12oz bottle from Chalet Party Goshen, In.

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

This brew has a very fruity banana aroma. Its body is a weak yellow orange color that is very cloudy with yeast evident. It tastes as fruity as it smells and went down very easy, but later drinks caused my stomach to do flip flops. I didn't like it and eventually wound up getting another Porter and having them pour the rest of this beer down the drain.

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%

A: Hazy yellow color, no head. A little bit of white foam. No lacing.

S: Lemony, wheaty.

T: Wheat, a hint of lemon. Slightly metallic. Not at all complex.

M: Very bubbly, over carbonated.

D: Just not flavorful enough to be worth finishing. I suppose it might be good to wash down a spicy chilli in the winter, but that's about it.

2.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Not to my liking. A style I really gotten a tast for

2.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok but unsure where, when and what

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just not my thing. Did not enjoy it at all.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like wheat ales. I like witbier. But I don't care for this one.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

pours a extremely cloudy pale yellow. looks like orange juice rather than beer. tick head at first.

smells so strongly of yeast, I can barely smell anything else. barely get a hop nose. just ok.

body is solid for an american wheat but I expect some spice from a wit style. Nothing but yeast, orange peel, more like orange juice flavor. I've never had such a dissapointing experience from bells.

mouth is heavy with yeast, I can't even speak about this beer, it's just horrible. I'm pouring it down the drain.

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%

Bell's Winter White poured cloudy, straw yellow with a short-lived bright white head on top of a cascade of carbonation. Aroma of corriander, pepper, flowers and fruit. Apples, oranges, lemon zest, and spice comprise the flavor. Medium-light in body and highly carbonated.

I don't quite get the Winter White. It's too aggressive for your average wit. It's kind of like a winter Oberon, but doesn't hit the mark for this BA. Bell's is one of the best breweries around, but this isn't a product I'd recommend.

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

Bell's Winter White is a good addition to the white beer category. The beer itself does not scream winter to me. White beers are known for being warm summer month beers. I give Bell's props for bucking that trend and releasing a white for winter. Also, now that I think of it "white" could be a clever play on words for a "white Christmas".

A- Meets all the normal characteristics for a white beer. Cloudy, golden brown color with a white lace.

S- Strong aromas, abundantly sweet and citrus

T- This is where I tend to get off the bus a little. While it has the spice of orange and coriander I am accustomed to, there seems to be little else and a watered down sour apple flavor.

M- Any sweetness is masked by an ever present sour feel. I always like a little tang on my white beers but here I find myself waiting for a spicy flavor and only getting a watery sour finish.

D- Not bad, thought it was more alcoholic than 4.5, seemed to have a little more zing. Overall drinkable, find myself wanting to
put an orange slice in there, not a good sign.

2.62/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured extremely cloudy whitish/yellow color ale with a nice small pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of medium wheat with some very subtle spice note. Taste is lighter then expected with some wheat but no bubblegum notes that I usually appreciated in an hefeweizen and some very subtle spices and therefore no coriander that I usually like in my witbier. It appears that by mixing those two I am not getting the best of both word. This is probably one of the weakest offering from this fine brewer.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.64 out of 5 with 2,269 ratings