Bell's Winter White Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale
3.64/5
Good
Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.

Added by maxpower on 02-22-2003

Ratings: 2,296 |  Reviews: 757
2.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Not to my liking. A style I really gotten a tast for

2.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok but unsure where, when and what

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just not my thing. Did not enjoy it at all.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like wheat ales. I like witbier. But I don't care for this one.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

pours a extremely cloudy pale yellow. looks like orange juice rather than beer. tick head at first.

smells so strongly of yeast, I can barely smell anything else. barely get a hop nose. just ok.

body is solid for an american wheat but I expect some spice from a wit style. Nothing but yeast, orange peel, more like orange juice flavor. I've never had such a dissapointing experience from bells.

mouth is heavy with yeast, I can't even speak about this beer, it's just horrible. I'm pouring it down the drain.

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%

Bell's Winter White poured cloudy, straw yellow with a short-lived bright white head on top of a cascade of carbonation. Aroma of corriander, pepper, flowers and fruit. Apples, oranges, lemon zest, and spice comprise the flavor. Medium-light in body and highly carbonated.

I don't quite get the Winter White. It's too aggressive for your average wit. It's kind of like a winter Oberon, but doesn't hit the mark for this BA. Bell's is one of the best breweries around, but this isn't a product I'd recommend.

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

Bell's Winter White is a good addition to the white beer category. The beer itself does not scream winter to me. White beers are known for being warm summer month beers. I give Bell's props for bucking that trend and releasing a white for winter. Also, now that I think of it "white" could be a clever play on words for a "white Christmas".

A- Meets all the normal characteristics for a white beer. Cloudy, golden brown color with a white lace.

S- Strong aromas, abundantly sweet and citrus

T- This is where I tend to get off the bus a little. While it has the spice of orange and coriander I am accustomed to, there seems to be little else and a watered down sour apple flavor.

M- Any sweetness is masked by an ever present sour feel. I always like a little tang on my white beers but here I find myself waiting for a spicy flavor and only getting a watery sour finish.

D- Not bad, thought it was more alcoholic than 4.5, seemed to have a little more zing. Overall drinkable, find myself wanting to
put an orange slice in there, not a good sign.

2.62/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured extremely cloudy whitish/yellow color ale with a nice small pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of medium wheat with some very subtle spice note. Taste is lighter then expected with some wheat but no bubblegum notes that I usually appreciated in an hefeweizen and some very subtle spices and therefore no coriander that I usually like in my witbier. It appears that by mixing those two I am not getting the best of both word. This is probably one of the weakest offering from this fine brewer.

2.64/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nice mix of hopps and spice, I'm not a hop person but this is paletable

2.66/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a tall glass displaying a 50/50 realm of clear to opaqueness quality. Golden in color, very nice, but slightly weak head. Virtually no lacing upon finishing.

Bouquet is missing the wheat bread characteristics which are faint being dominated first by a chemical "like" smell. Almost slightly macro in smell... not big though so at least it isn't totally off putting.

Taste and flavor profile leads to a very muted taste, and light body. No spices, nothing of distinctness to come out other than some sweetness.

Drinability is straight down the middle. Meh... I've had considerably better. Lord knows.. I've had worse.

2.67/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours the expected golden straw color but head retention is minimal. Belgian yeast & clove on the nose but there is some off-note that is reminiscent of sawdust and spoiled lemon. Taste is very clove forward, has a spicey phenol vibe without the booze kick, but lacks any distinction or delicateness that wheat provides. You get the sense it overwhelms with the clove to hide the bland base.

2.69/5  rDev -26.1%

Im dreaming of a winter white ale. Well not really. Poured a semi hazy golden color with next to no head nor any lacing at all.

The smell is malty with some very noticeable yeasty smells in the background. Some lighter wheat background and next to no spice presence at all. A smidge of hops, maybe a floral but still masked. Would like a bit more complexity and other spice notes to balance.

The taste has more of a wheat feel mixed with malt added in. A little harsh (as compared with crisp) and a bit astringent. The wheat flavor starts out with a chill sense and then a stronger bitter orange flavor finishes with a somewhat rancid finish. Not much on the spice and some very light note of hops near the end, bring a floral taste out.

The body is a little high for a wit or even a wheat, and no carbonation. Overall the wheat is limited and the spice note are not where they should be but clean yeast and easy drinkabiliy.

2.73/5  rDev -25%

This is a decent, inoffensive and light tasting beer that isn't very complex. I'm a little disappointed because seasonal beers tend towards possessing attributes that fit with the season-- halloween gets the crop of pumpkin flavored beers, summer sometimes rustles up some sort of jalapeno-flavored creation and so on. This *winter beer* has nothing "wintry" about it apart from the name and the label artwork-- certainly nothing that suggests the scents and smells of winter (cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, chocolate, burning wood or even a decade-old, rock hard fruitcake.) The scents are typical average witbier: bread, wheat and yeast. There's a slight hint of citrus but it's gone quickly and doesn't translate into taste-- which is similarly average. So, why am I paying 11 bucks for a six pack of this when I could be trying that Allagash Dubbel I passed over?

2.73/5  rDev -25%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Seems a little watered down

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.64 out of 5 with 2,296 ratings