Bell's Winter White Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

good
good
Read the review
Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.

Added by maxpower on 02-22-2003

Reviews: 728 | Ratings: 2,183

Wasn't paying attention when I bought a six pack and thought it was more of a winter warmer. With that aside, the beer was just not tasty. Bland and thin.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Big Belgian esters of pear, peach, and green apple with wheat in the aroma.

Flavor is more green apple dominant, with a lightly phenolic clove and pepper finish.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a sixer at the end of December for $9.99. Bottled on 11/20/14, batch 13695.

Beer poured a light gold with little head that dissipated quickly.

Nose has hints of cloves and wheat malt.

Taste has hints of citrus, wheat malt, and citrus rind.

Mouthfeel is not as light as I would expect for the style but has a smoothness that I like.

Overall a solid beer that is worthy of a shot.

3.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can w/ an 11/12/14 pkgd on date on the bottom

Pretty typical wit look going on here

Def ginger on the nose

More ginger, coriander, oranges and lite peppery spice thing happening.

Decent flavor, and more then moderate body for the style.

Easy drinking and gotta love 16 ounce cans

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 Oz bottle.

Wonderfully hazy, murky gold liquid.

Supremely wheat spicy aroma.

Flavor is complex. Starts sweet but ends dry. Lots of spices. True to style.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Tasted 16 January 2015.

Pours a pale golden yellow, 98% clear. A thin column of bubbles in the center. Not much head, and what there is is gone fast.

Smell is a thin, faint version of a wit. A bit of spice, a bit of yeast. But mostly, just emptiness.

Taste is similar to the smell. If anything, it's worse. Grainy, bland, faintly sweet.

Feel is not very good. Flat, and just blah. Could be a whole lot better with a little more lively carbonation.

One word describes this beer: blah. Nothing particularly notable about it. Perhaps the worst beer I've had from Bell's.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Solid and enjoyable. Some citrus and spice notes. As a winter brew, it feels out of place among the holiday selections, though. It tastes more like a March day when spring is trying to push winter aside.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

L - Medium-light yellow. Hazy. Short and not persistent white head.
S- Fruity banana. Bubble gum.
T - Bready and fruity. Banana and sweet citrus. Some clove and banana. Mildly bitter citrus aftertaste.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle born 11/13/14 poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Gold, cloudy and murky. Half finger head that moves to a 2 mm lace.

S - A brief thought of skunk, replaced by grains, banana, clove, and spices.

T- Banana, clove, spice, fruits. Malt on the finish.

M - Fairly light and crisp, carbonation medium, not overly sharp.

O - Personally, I dont partake in a lot of white/wheat ales, but this one is enjoyable and seems above average for the style.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light yellow pour without much head. Tastes very similar to blue moon or shock top. Easy to drink, pretty good seasonal. Not strong at 5% and not a particularly mind blowing beer but solid overall.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is more of a refreshing summer brew. I would like this after mowing the lawn. The smell is citrusy, with a splash of bubble gum and banana. The taste is about the same with a slight tang and is fairly spritzy. Not bad, but not exciting. Save one for summer. I probably wouldn't get it again.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Imbibed at the Bell's Eccentric Cafe in a Spiegelau Witbier glass. It really does make a difference. Also, be sure not to drink this at too low of a temperature. Overall, I have become a fan.

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

soft golden color, it does have a cloudiness. It has a light citrus odor. This is a very tasty, easy drinking beer. It reminds me of a blend between a Honey Weiss and Blue Moon. There is a slight aftertaste that reminds me of a Belgian tripel wheat just not as pronounced. This was a winner if you don't care for real dark or hoppy beers

Bell's Winter White Ale brewed by Bell's Brewery, Inc. This brew has an ABV of 5.0 % Winter White Ale pours out cloudy amber color with a nice off white head. This is an unfiltered brew you can not see though it. The smell is sweet with some grain and malts. Winter White Ale smell is really mild. Now for the taste, it is sweet like fruit juice. You pick up on some malts, but it mild. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Winter White Ale has a nice balance to it. Bell's Brewery, Inc. did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving Bell's Winter White Ale a solid 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy with a freshness date. Sample from the brewery.

Cloudy and heady. Yeast, grain, spice, & bread in the nose. Ample crispness leads to a deep smoothness. Peppery, clove spiciness, rind-like, coconut water, nutty yeast, pineapple, dusty biscuits, & faint medicinal notes in the aroma and palate.

Damn cool, fermented with Belgian yeast ... no spices used so this is sort of a pale lighter Belgian winter warmer and not a Witbier at all in a sense but it is none the less.

4.16/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this on tap at my local pub. The beer had a nice light golden color with a smallish white head and minimal lacing. A slight fruity, yeasty smell also comes out in the taste. No taste of coriander or clove, but it does have a good, crisp mouthfeel. Overall, I would say this is a pretty solid witbier and I would order it again.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

I know this often gets rated lower than most Bell's beers, or many beers in general, but I like it. To me, it's a simple, refreshing, everyday winter beer that's goes down easy. I can drink it with dinner or while watching the ballgame. I like the fruitiness and the spices. I will admit that it borders on a summer beer rather than a winter, but I truly enjoy it. It's one of those beers I try not to overthink -- I just like it as a solid, simple, balanced beer.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice dark and hazy gold. The white head burns off quickly. The aroma is light hit has nice light spice and wheat notes. The taste is much the same if not a little more robust. It has nice thickness and a pleasant hint of carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

I had beer at my local taproom. A/cloudy yellow glass was brought to me in a standard pint glass. S/I didn't pick up too much here, just a touch of yeast and hops. T/Not much going on here. I got a small amount of hops, banana, and yeast. O/ Light easy drinking beer. Not very complex but very enjoyable and non offensive. I found that the remainder of my glass went very well with the pizza that was brought to me. I would pick this up for a lazy afternoon where you just want something light.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Normally don't go in for Wits but this is pretty good. Pours a very pale cloudy yellow. Heavier mouthfeel. Light and "belgiany" overall, slight spice (apparently just from the malts, the description says none were added) and fruity on the nose and palate. Abrupt finish.

Where did all that head run off too? Seems under-carbonated. Banana, pineapple, funky yeast on the nose but none of that in the flavor. Crisp and clean to a fault. Not offensive, but wont cop again.

3.2/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The first beer I have ever had from bells that was a let down, and honestly one of the few that wasn't amazing. This pours thick and murky tired yellow with basically no head from the tap. It's got a ton of viscosity and minimal carbonation, the opposite of what I look for in the style. Banana yeast and spice and orange esters in the nose, some citrus to the taste, but way too much grain here, especially the wheat. It lacks all the delicate features of the bets wits, and warms up ugly. I'm surprised this came from bells. It's not a bad beer, but it's nowhere near their full potential. I see the winter side of it, and appreciate the attempt, but I just doesn't pan put here

Was super excited when I saw the amount of yeast at the bottom of bottle but to be honest it didn't live up to my expectations. I was on a beer tour this particular evening and had enjoyed an unibroue Blanche de chambly earlier in the evening and when compared to this other north American brew I found myself disappointed but it's not a bad Belgian white. I just found the unibroue better. Still, better than most American Belgian whites

3.56/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - 4/5
Light golden orange, with about 1/2 finger of white head upon pouring, dissipates to a ring of carbonation on the edges. Very hazy, can't see through it at all. Overall I really like the color and the haziness. I would have liked more head to stay around.

Smell - 3.5/5
A bready aroma with earthy spiciness, similar to some saisons. Orange peel and lemon.

Taste - 3.5/5
Tastes basically like the aroma. A bready spicy flavor, with orange and lemon citrus flavors. The flavor is okay, not really what I was expecting from this beer though.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
Smooth and crisp, light to medium in body, a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall - 3.5/5
Overall this is a decent beer. My one complaint is that this is marketed as a "Winter" beer, but to me this beer screams "SUMMER". I don't want to drink this in the winter. This beer is something I would drink outside on a warm summer evening.

3.42/5  rDev -7.1%

Hazy straw color. Funky nose. Wheat and funky yeast dominate the flavor profile.

Basic.

I don't get wits in general but I really don't get the winter wit seasonal at all. Winter is a time for hearty beers.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.