St. Feuillien Brune | Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien BruneSt. Feuillien Brune

Brasserie St. Feuillien
st-feuillien.com

Style: Dubbel

This brown ale has a marked ruby brown colour with a generous and lasting head. It has a distinctive aroma reflecting the wide range of ingredients used in its production. The fruitiness resulting from its fermentation blends harmoniously with a dominant liquorice and caramel flavour. The body is decidedly malty. The bitterness is the result of a complex alchemy between the fine hops and special malts used. These give St-Feuillien Brune a typical dark chocolate appearance. This beer creates an endless variety of sensations with a lingering taste and powerful aroma.

Added by NeroFiddled on 10-23-2002

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2014. The cork shot out like a rocket when I removed the cork.

Pours a see through garnet with plenty of foam and lacing.

Candi sugar, dark fruit, with some spice in the smell.

Dark fruit, mostly raisins, candi sugar, cinnamon and a pronounced cardboard flavour; could be past its prime.

Medium body with medium carbonation. The way the cork shot out, I thought it might be over carbonated.

Not terrible at this stage in its bottled life but I have little desire to revisit.

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%

This was pretty average all the way around, but still a good Dubbel. It poured a dingy looking brownish-red colour with a sand coloured foamy head that didn't seem to last very long. To my displeasure, I didn't see any debris or "floaties" of any sort in this one. I really like that in a Belgian and it was abscent here. Smell was quite everage with plenty of dark fruit and toasted grains. Taste was nice with dark fruit profiles, toasted grains, and a lack of that metallic taste that seems to be so prevalent in Belgian styles. The alcohol, while detectable, was very in-offensive and mild. This was pretty smooth and very easy to drink, especially considering the style. I have had better as far as this style goes, but I have had much worse, too. Pleasant.

3.34/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Cork tells me that this is number 142959. Pours a slightly hazy dark mahogany color, with a one finger head. Decent retention gives way to a blanket of foam, a clumpy lacing.

Aroma is very yeast. Fresh bread, yeast phenols, spicy, and slightly earthy.

The flavor is a bit of a surprize. Dry from front to back, and only the spicy yeast phenols give any flavor. Hardly any malt flavor at all, with a bit of hops on the finish. Not sweet and fruity like most dubbles. Mouthfeel is smooth, if not a little thin. Drinkability is good.

Decent beer overall, but I've definitely had better brunes. I'd buy it again, but only if all of the other brunes were unavailable.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%

Corked and caged brune with the wonderful painting-quality scene on the label of what is presumed to be medieval Le Roeulx. Appearance when poured from the 750 into my deep Duvel tulip glass includes a bubbly head with decidely no lace. The color is a clear hazelnut brown with ample carbonation. The aroma is at once faint... a sure sign of dissapointment for me since I expect a noseful with any solid strong brown. Then, nut and coffee nuttiness with faint candied sugar notes. You really have to swirl this stuff to whip up the aromatic signature or what there is of it. The taste is nutty with hints of candied sugar. Mild again, however, the taste becomes more pronounced as the liquid warms. Mouthfeel comes through with a swirl or two and presents a pleasant coating for the tongue. It's a drinkable but somewhat unremarkable dubbel. I much prefer something that's not so understated. Still, if your options are few, worth the investment.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

Dark brown. The nose is malty flavor and spices. The palate is heady, offers roasted malt but blackberries and grapes. These flavors are propagated in the palate with light touches of clove. We find the bitterness in the aftertaste. A classic Dubbel but fantasy.

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

Beer poured a dark brown with a nice full slightly tan head (straight down the center into a tulip glass). As I drank the beer you could see the head remain on the side of the glass.

First hit the nose with a nutty aroma that went to a sour cherries.

When first poured and sipped the beer did not show many flavor characteristics, in fact it was quite disappointing, however, as the beer sat for no more than 3 minutes it really opened up and gave way to the taste that were noticed in the bouquet. The strongest flavor was the nuttiness with some sour notes but no fruit like it smelled. The finish was short and tart - I would have preferred a stronger longer finish. By the last sips the beer had completely opened up and gave way to that "Belgianny"farm quality.

Overall this was a good beer but not a great one. I paid roughly $4-$6 and do not think that I would spend that much on this again.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured on tap at Pizza Paradiso into a tulip glass.

A one finger creamy light brown head is produced with lots of carbonation. Tightly packed head bubbles, and a real nice red caramel/brown colored body that is opaque.

Bouquet on this is a classic dubbel but too small and kind of hard to find. Small dry malty powder sensation, slight bit of cream too.

Taste is also small, a faint light raisin quality and mild maltyness.

This is pretty pedestrian for this style, boring, bland kind of simple but doesn't make me desire to drink it.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -9%

Reviewed 3/26/2009 (bottle ~50degF):

Pours a very fizzy off-white head, quickly diminishing. Body is ruby brown in color, very cloudy, can't see through. Very fruity aroma, some dark fruit like plum and fig, and some raisin. Aroma of seedy fruits, like berries. A little effervescence and dustiness. Fruity taste, floral. Light floral aftertaste. Soft carbonated mouthfeel, a little sourness. Letting warm up a bit...More fruit present, thick and creamy mouthfeel. Okay tasting, some spices, but a little bland.

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Red hue with a nice 1 to 2 finger head.

Caramel malt crisp and fruity with a sweetness that is not overbearing. The taste is full bodied and smooth making this abbey brewed ale a great drink.

This was only the second time i had tried this beer, but it does not lose any of its flare the second time around. A good buy, highly recommended for any situation.

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Same bottle but mine says 8.5% and it pours a clear kola beer hue which leaves a frothy two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is raisins soaked in brandy,xmas pudding and nutmeg,the mouthfeel is a tad creamy,well carbonated and sweet and has tastes of chocolate coated cherries,raisins,ginger,bananna bread and finished with a sweet belgian yeasty bread flavour and basically like liquid food and after you get past the look of this it really isnt that bad but theres better out there.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

Served in a St. Feuillien chalice, the beer pours a brown/ruby red color with a good sized tan head. It smells like dark fruit (plums, raisins), caramel and a bit of chocolate. It tastes like dark fruit and caramel, and there's also a bit of a tart/sour hoppy grapefruit finish. Body is medium, but the mouthfeel is very carbonated. Luckily it doesn't affect the drinkability too much, even though it could be better. Overall I think it's a decent beer, but not a great one either. I'd like to try this again some other time.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Seemingly clear (the liquid a bit hazier on my second pour), ruby-brown in hue; when my glass was backlit a bright tawny-garnet color is noticeable. Beige foam, at the apex the head was some three fingers tall. Head retention was fair, the bubbles slowly but steadily collapsed to a thin cap. There was no subsequent lacing of note; odd. Sad. The appearance is sound but not special.

The nose is spicy, fruity, and malty which is exactly what a Dubbel should smell like. I love the aromas of alcohol soaked cake, raisin bread with a shot of spiced rum on the side. Dates, chocolate, brown sugar, some faded spices; I swear I detect a hint of menthol (?), maybe mint (?). I like what I smell; the methanol/mint aroma is odd but tolerable (as it is in the distance). The bouquet just lacks a little maltiness, IMO, but technically I suppose it is dead-on for the style. I’m just being picky. The aromas are inviting and I can’t wait to take a sip.

My first impression of the palate was the lack of a malt backbone. Maybe I shouldn’t complain. It is a Dubbel and it is sub-8% abv. I taste vodka and bread, I taste rum and cake; I taste more alcohol then I do heat and I don’t really detect any alcohol strength (if that makes sense). Spicy, some cloves, some pepper lay on top of chocolate, brown sugar, and toast. It has a warmish finish, lightly malty; it is enjoyable but kind of tame. I don’t really have much negative to say about the palate. I think it is a good representation of the style but it is not outstanding either.

Medium in body; low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is a tad thin and a bit sluggish for me. I’d like to see more life.

No matter what I said this is a drinkable and tasty beer. While there are other Dubbels that are “better” there really isn’t anything wrong with this one. I think my bottle is a few year’s old. I’m not sure. Maybe it doesn’t age well. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Des Moines, IA. I will drink this again. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

St. Feuillien Brune explodes out of the 11.2 oz. bottle and has a thick, rocky, cream-colored head, a murky, bubbly, lighter-brown appearance, and a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, brown bread crust, light brown sugar, grain, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is of those elements with a grain husk aspect as well. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly, and St. Feuillien Brune finishes rich, sweet, and interesting.

RJT

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Nice mix of sweetness with Belgian notes.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

I had a twelve ounce draft of this at Manhattan's Amsterdam Ale House, where it was available both on tap and in bottles.

It poured a dark, somewhat cloudy dark brown color with plenty of carbonation and lots of belgian lacing. Aroma was that of dark fruit, maybe a little bit of candy.

The flavor was malty and the alcohol was well hidden. There's a certain quality to the flavor of a dubbel, I can't describe it, that was not present here. Maybe the hops were not as present as they should be.

In any case, if you like Dubbel's this is a nice one.

St. Feuillien Brune from Brasserie St. Feuillien