St. Feuillien Brune | Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien BruneSt. Feuillien Brune

Brasserie St. Feuillien
st-feuillien.com

Style: Dubbel

This brown ale has a marked ruby brown colour with a generous and lasting head. It has a distinctive aroma reflecting the wide range of ingredients used in its production. The fruitiness resulting from its fermentation blends harmoniously with a dominant liquorice and caramel flavour. The body is decidedly malty. The bitterness is the result of a complex alchemy between the fine hops and special malts used. These give St-Feuillien Brune a typical dark chocolate appearance. This beer creates an endless variety of sensations with a lingering taste and powerful aroma.

Added by NeroFiddled on 10-23-2002

Reviews: 135 | Ratings: 265

750ml bottle into large goblets

Pours a very cloudy dingy brown, medium pale head. Smells sweet and musty, a little fruity.

Taste is sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste, very mild. Definite maltyness and Belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated, very bubbly, although fairly thick.

From elcervecero. In La Trappe chalice. Watching Sons of Anarchy 7x02-03. Very nice brune, very close to a good quad because of its dark fruits profile. A bit more watery but also more drinkable.

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a St. Feuillien chalice.

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark ruby brown. Two finger head that disappears and leaves virtually no lacing.

S: Smells of raisins, plums, figs, nuts, and alcohol.

T: Lots of dark fruit. Some brown sugar, toffee, molassas, malt, and a little hops. Loads of spicy flavors going on here. I think the hops and spice lend a dryness to it that keeps the sweetness from getting out of line.

M: The warmer this beer gets the better. Right out of the fridge it was sharp and rather carbonated, sort of one dimentional. As it warmed it became smoother, a lot more rounded, and creamy. A much different animal.

D: I'd love to try this one on draft. It was a pleasure to drink the bottled version of this and I bet the draft version could only be better. I've had better Dubbels and I've had worse. This one is well worth trying as it has a lot to offer. Very nice!

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Well-charged, a big yellow two inch head in a Duvel glass. Dark chestnut color, only slightly sedimented. Thick spongey lace. Muted aroma, lightly leaf-like with some musk. Light bodied and highly carbonated for a Dubbel. Flavor is tinged with a bare chocolate, lots of grape, and bittered with an initial light coffee and maybe even molasses sense. Overall, this one had a bit of trouble generating a lot of flavor for me, finishing like it starts with a touch of a phenolic sense and never really spreading out in malt profile. A little bit of alcoholic heat. Not really one of my favorites per style, more of a niche player to my tastes.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Thoroughly enjoyed from the 750ml bottle in a snifter. This fine dubbel pours a dark lightly cloudy mahogany with a very nice head of light tan foam that settles to a thick ring, thin pool, and light lacing. Nose of chocolate, raisins, Belgian Candy sugars, and fresh baked bread. Flavors follow the nose with brown sugars on the front, rich dark raisins dipped in chocolate on the middle, and a mix of fresh bread and light cola notes on the sides and back with a subtle yeast note. Very drinkable with high carbonation on the mouth feel keeping it lively and a sweet lightly dry finish and warming alcohol.
A solid offering.
Excellent.
Cheers

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Seemingly clear (the liquid a bit hazier on my second pour), ruby-brown in hue; when my glass was backlit a bright tawny-garnet color is noticeable. Beige foam, at the apex the head was some three fingers tall. Head retention was fair, the bubbles slowly but steadily collapsed to a thin cap. There was no subsequent lacing of note; odd. Sad. The appearance is sound but not special.

The nose is spicy, fruity, and malty which is exactly what a Dubbel should smell like. I love the aromas of alcohol soaked cake, raisin bread with a shot of spiced rum on the side. Dates, chocolate, brown sugar, some faded spices; I swear I detect a hint of menthol (?), maybe mint (?). I like what I smell; the methanol/mint aroma is odd but tolerable (as it is in the distance). The bouquet just lacks a little maltiness, IMO, but technically I suppose it is dead-on for the style. I’m just being picky. The aromas are inviting and I can’t wait to take a sip.

My first impression of the palate was the lack of a malt backbone. Maybe I shouldn’t complain. It is a Dubbel and it is sub-8% abv. I taste vodka and bread, I taste rum and cake; I taste more alcohol then I do heat and I don’t really detect any alcohol strength (if that makes sense). Spicy, some cloves, some pepper lay on top of chocolate, brown sugar, and toast. It has a warmish finish, lightly malty; it is enjoyable but kind of tame. I don’t really have much negative to say about the palate. I think it is a good representation of the style but it is not outstanding either.

Medium in body; low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is a tad thin and a bit sluggish for me. I’d like to see more life.

No matter what I said this is a drinkable and tasty beer. While there are other Dubbels that are “better” there really isn’t anything wrong with this one. I think my bottle is a few year’s old. I’m not sure. Maybe it doesn’t age well. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Des Moines, IA. I will drink this again. Worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : Abbaye rouge-brune, trouble, mousse abondante, peu serrée, assez tenace. Saturation correcte.
Smell : Arôme caramel finement houblonné et épicé, léger nez acre de levure , bien malté.
Taste and mouthfeel : Saveur mi-douce et amère, bouche pleine. Arrière goût assez prolongé, plutôt sec.
Drinkability : Bonne bière mi-douce équilibrée.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Served way too cold, had to let it warm up a bit to taste anything. Nice flavour- caramel, spice, citrus. Rich, yet nice, soft mouthfeel, a touch sticky, but nothing to really complain about, some sweetness at the start, but in no way cloying. Well rounded and feels like its well made, nice brune.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

330ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance is a hazy dark brown with a huge rocky off-white head. The head lasts forever and clings to the sides of the glass.

Smells of banana, caramel and toffee along with a certain yeastiness that is hard to describe. Smells Belgian

Flavors of banana nut bread along with some light caramel. There is some breadiness along with dark fruits such as raisin and fig. Also a slight metallic note. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and sticky with alcohol being barely detectable.

Overall a decent beer although I have to admit that this is not one of my favorite styles. I feel this is a respectable representation, though.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Amber brown color with highly active carbonation, could almost pass for a dark rum if not for the large head. Very carbonated, perhaps too much so for the style. Nose is yeasty, medicinal alcohols, fermented malt.

The taste is unsurprising - a decent dubbel. I think the carbonation effectively reduces the complexity enough to where it’s below world-class, but it would make a great introduction to Belgians for a brown ale lover. Hint of hop bitters lends a nice balance to chocolatey malts and minty phenol alcohols. Westmalle’s version was one of the first beers that made me say “oh” and I think this would have done the same - all alcohol is properly blended into the drink, slightly warming but very easy to drink. The knock is there is too much light fruity character rather than the usual dark fruits found in a dubbel, like rum raisin.

This brew snap, crackle, popped its way onto a short list of sessionable dubbels, but no reason to make it a special occasion. Drinkability would have been higher but the warming alcohol at nearly 8% becomes a little much.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

appearance: dark brown in color with lots of holding head, nice and sticky

smell: typical belgian yeast aroma, sweet, caramel and biscuity

taste: some subtle toffee candy aromas, sublte sweetness with some nice dark fruits notes.

mouthfeel: medium bodied,

drinkability: a nice dubbel. I would drink again if available

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a St. Feuillien chalice.

A: Slightly hazy chestnut brown. A dense cream cap is slow to form and quickly retreats to a thin film. Leaves spots of lace.

S: Sweet chocolate really stuck out at first. As the beer warmed, raisins and prunes crept it with a very vinous aroma. Alcohol adds balance and a light tingle to the nose.

T: Very wine like out front, with lots of dried fruit flavors. The heavy chocolate from the nose retreats to the background. Bitterness is mild and brings a pleasant pepper bite. Alcohol adds an extra source of balance and a nice warmth going down.

M: The slick body has a very fine tingling carbonation.

D: I started out with this beer way too cold. After giving it some quality time to warm up, I came away quite impressed. The flavor is up there with some of the better dubbels I've had.

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%

330 ml stubby bottle purchased from the LCBO for about $3.75 CDN. Served fairly cold into a chalice. This rendition is advertised as 8.5% ABV. Best before April 17, 2018.

Appearance - Pours a ruddy brown colored beer with auburn highlights. An impressive finger and change of head is poured and head retention is above average. Not much in the way of lacing left around the edges of the glass. Hazy too.

Smell - Rather aromatic with an odd troika of milk chocolate, cherries and booze. Repeated sniffs yield little change, a freshly opened box of booze filled chocolate covered cherries comes to mind. Possible some seasonal fruitcake in there too.

Taste - All sorts of dark fruit here. Cherries and blackberries dominate with a lightly malty chocolate finish. A certain sourness here, so intense is the cherry. Middling sweetness with dark chocolate and even a touch of roasted coffee beans here. Unusual but rather good.

Mouthfeel - Heavy bodied, boozy yet with a dry finish. Just right.

Overall - The strong cherry presence (stronger than any other dubbel I've ever had) in St. Feuillien Brune makes for an interesting beer that I personally enjoyed, yet I can see how it may not appeal to everyone. However, if you're looking for a box of holiday chocolates such as chocolate covered cherries in beer form, this is certainly the way to go.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

A dark brown beer with a coarse bubbled head that settles into a small layer of off-white foam.

Smell of candisugar, light chocolate malt and some spices. My guess is cardemom and maybe orange peel.

Taste is spicy with light roasted notes. The spices add an almost bitter sensation to the beer. There is a certain roasty taste to this beer that is just balancing between right and too much. Together with the spices, which add a citric, exotic spicy element, this beer is quite drinkable. Mouthfeel is not overly sweet and not too thin.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

St. Feuillien Brune pours a reddish brown with a thick tan head from a brown 750 ml corked and caged bottle. The aroma at first is musty. This doesn't last, malty aromas dominate as the beer warms. The flavor improves as well as the beer warms, it's dominated by malt, the hops aren't especially noticeable but do a nice job of balancing this beer. Definitely worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a nutty reddish-brown into a pint glass with a finger of light khaki head. Nice bready caramel cookie aroma with a hint of pepper and clove.

Moderate carbonation and a light, slightly thin mouthfeel. Bread and caramel up front with a hint of dark fruit sweetness and a touch of anise on the finish.

On the lighter side for a dubbel, the ABV is completely concealed. About as sessionable as they come for a Belgian.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Out of a boxed set with the glass and 2 other brews... I'm not a huge fan of dubbels but I'm giving this a go...

Aromas of caramel and yeast with some Belgian sugars present... Hints of raisins perhaps as well... Fairly standard...

Not nearly as sweet or smooth as I was hoping it would be... The sweetness is there but it doesn't last and this sort of finishes with a sharp phenolic note that I don't particularly care for. Booze is fairly evident as well...

An ok dubbel I guess...

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

pours up a murky brown and dark cherry blend color with a nice big bubbly yellow tinted head. the nose is sweet malts, roasted malts, dark fruits, subtle sour notes. taste of nice dark malts, sweet maltyness, notes of chocolate, dark fruits, maybe some strawberries, or black cherries. full bodied, big spritzy carbo, dry finish. good brew.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in a signature St Feuillien chalice.

Appearance: Comes off a very dark brown with slight orange tint to it. I'm going to tell you right now it cloudy, with an tan-white head maybe third of an inch.

Smell: Rich yeast scent, I wish it stayed with you a little longer.

Taste: Like the smell but much more amplified. Feels a touch sour but it also feels a bit sweet. Malts are in full effect.

Mouth: Easily medium to full carbonation, nice stickiness to the beer that i just can't stop sipping.

Overall: Good brew, I think this is my first from St. Fuellien and beyond tasty enough that it won't be my last. Hope you enjoy as much as i do and will not hesitate to pick up again when I see this at my local beer spot. Salud!

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Quite a dark hazy brown pour... the head looks fabulous, though. A yellowish-golden shade, and very creamy, and about a finger and a half tall. Retention is alright.

S: The brewer's glassware does the aroma well. A warm scent of dates, raisins, and dark bread. Slight whiffs of banana are noted, along with a touch of 'tobacco box.' A very pleasant aroma.

T: Flavour is not as expressive as the scent. It is still a nice tasting brew, with dark fruit, creamy toffee, and a little hint of something gingerbread like. It seems just a touch weak, like it wants to be more expressive and just can't.

M: A soft, shimmering carbonation that offers just a little bite right off the tip of the tongue first. Body is quite smooth, if perhaps a little 'dull.' Certainly not too bad, though.

D: Not a bad brew, and a wonderful, wafting aroma. I might not be too quick to pick it up a second time, but it's certainly worth the shot and it does have some very pleasing qualities that would have me consider it again.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

750ml into a tulip. Pours a somewhat muddy deep mahogany. Minor medium bubbled tan head.

Aroma is strong spiced rum cake, figgy. Superb nose.

Medium bodied, starts lively on the tongue, creamy. The rum cake is joined by molasses and caramel with minor phenols on the good side of delicious. Wonderful aftertaste doesn't linger as long as I'd prefer, so nice.

It would be nice if they brewed a quad, just double this dubbel and you have a top tier quad.
Excellent
cheers
jd

2.97/5  rDev -21.6%

Part of NEPA BC split #5.

750ml corked n caged poured into a tulip glass. Hmmm...the pour is truly perplexing. It struggled to get even a centimeter of head, which was beige while it was there, before completley disappearing leaving no lace at all. Color is dark brown, hazy. When the last of the lace disappears it looks like flat soda.

Smell is some sweet caramel malt, molasses, grapes and a red wine like tannin smell. There's some nuttiness and alcohol in the nose, as well.

Taste at first seems very thin. There are some subtle nutty, coffee flavor, then a bit of sweetness. Through the finish the taste profile comes out a little more with a more robust nutty flavor and some roasted, molasses malt. Luckily that grapey tannin aroma I got doesn't come through in the taste because I'm definitely not looking for that from my beer. All in all the taste isn't bad, it's just too thin and there's nothing remarkable about it. Mouthfeel is thin and a little watery, and it seems flat; no detectable carbonation.

This is a really poor dubbel, in my opinion. I'm not sure if maybe this bottle is a little old - it came from Shangy's and sometimes stuff sits there for awhile. Certainly it's not as fresh as it would be overseas, but at 7.5% it shouldn't turn that quickly, either. I have another bottle but it's from the same case, so who knows. I'm hoping I can edit my reviews up, but I'm not going to count on it. I wouldn't recommend picking this one up.

Edit: second bottle worse than the first. Tannin grape flavor is present and the smell is worse.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

I like the oud brune style of beer; I never know quite what to expect other than copious amounts of sourness (and I do love sour). This one looked and smelled terrific, but the flavor disappointed a bit; lots of cereal-ness and not enough sourness.

Appearance was a brilliant red brown body with a scummy lilly-pad of foam floating in the middle of my goblet. Aroma was quite good - there was a whiskey, sour, cherriness. Flavor didn't deliver the expectation thay the aroma built; it was cereal-y and grainy with only a modicum of sour. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

I would recommend this beer, but not without conditions (what are your other options?) and reservations.

I had this from a bottle at d.b.a. In New Orleans.

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Beer was gushing out as soon as i popped the cap
L:
-pours a hazy ruby-brown with a huge ,quickly dissipating,foamy,beige head
-high carbonation visible
S:
-plums,raisins,dates,artificial cherry aroma
T:
-plums,raisins,dates,caramel,toffee,chocolate,candi sugar,slightly toasty finish
F:
-high carbonation (overcarbonnated)
-medium body
-faint alcohol warmth
O:
Very good Dubbel.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Drank from my Chimay Chalice

A - Pours a hazey brown with a large off white head.

S - Raisins and dark fruit.

T - Nice chocolate flavours tha are followed by heavy dark fruits and finishes with a nice alcohol kick.

M - Medium body and well balanced carbonation.

D - Heaps of flavour and recommended