JJJuliusss | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Julius Gone Wild (not funky wild, like insane hop saturation wild)! For the second special edition of Julius brewed specifically for the third anniversary party, we pushed the level of citrus to the fringes of obscenity through additional kettle and dry hopping with the base Julius hop blend. The result is perhaps the most juicy and delectable creation we have ever made! Preposterous Julius, in the best way imaginable.

Added by Nav71292 on 05-26-2015

#37

Reviews by muzzy:
4.91/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

okay, there has to be a ceiling, right? i understand nothing is perfect, but how can you NOT give this 5s across the board? the head is a beautiful billowy white fluff, the aroma is sweet and juicy, the flavor is like Sunny D except smoother and the rest is, well, enough said.... got this in a 750 growler with the 'Grolsch-top". as someone else said "all 250 top beers are gonna be Treehouse"..... Pliny who? the evolution has begun!

4.62/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Brewed to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the first experimental Julius being brewed; growler filled on 6/11/16 and drank in a Tree House teku the same day while watching the USMNT play Paraguay in the Copa; another awesome Tree House beer, for my palate is definitely a clear step up from the base version

I didn't think it was possible for treehouse to get better, but they keep stepping it up. This beer showcases that. A more hoppy, complex julius. Another th masterpiece.

4.43/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So at this rate the entire top 250 is going to be Tree House beers - with half of them being Julius variants lol! But dammit if they aren't all delicious. This rendition to me tasted not too much different from the standard Dr. J, but that's not much of a complaint since it's one of my favorite IPAs out there.

4.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Time to review this 750 of JJJUILIUSSS from Treehouse

A- orange opaque presence that looks like a creamsicle dreamsicle frothy beverage. Literal lumps of fluffy head layer the top of the brew and the sides too. Glowing body within the glass and perhaps the most unique look I've ever scene for a brew

S- an orange themed boutique that is accompanied with mango, Papaya, and most of all the pulpy oj that was served at the rare times I had breakfast as a child. The scent profile buries pine and resin themes 6 feet underground. This stands alone as such a unique scent profile.... But I still love my hop scents of pine and resin. The malt theme is non existent and I love that

T- what an impeccable orange juice flavor profile. Soupy and coating flavor laces my mouth. Pulpy oranges, tangerines, melons, and orange creamsicle flavors abduct your palate all while slapping it in the face with momma's old fashioned orange soup! Ok i know that doesn't exist but that's the theme. Again, it's treehouse and it's unique. I just can't get over the taste profile. While I prefer my DIPAS as a Shaun Hill all citric hop profile... This is something different and delicious

M- coating soupy flavor that's unprecedented. Sooooooo soft

O- there is nothing like JJJuiliuSSS in this earth from any other brewer. An OJ milkshake that is incredibly enjoyable

This beer is everything that I wish the normal version of the beer was. Don't get me wrong, the normal version is awesome, but this one is light years ahead in terms of taste and smell. When they move to Charlton I hope that we see this one more often.

4.95/5  rDev +5.8%

First batch 2015/06/01
Second batch 2016/06/10

Review is for the second batch. This is all I have in notes for the first:

"Just look at that deep dark, hazy appearance. So rich, so juicy, and the extra dry hopping gives it a more robust dank element. Julius+"

Now, onto the in-depth review!

L - pours a thick, solid, juicy-looking block of pure murk. Hazy doesn't quite describe it. Turbid. This is OJ with pulp. Dark and murky at the bottom of the glass, slowly transitioning into a mellow golden orange as the light tries its darnedest to penetrate as deep is it can (not very deep). Reminds me of attempting to shine a flashlight through my palm. You get some glow, yet not much. But it looks as cool as can be.

S - from the initial crack PSSHHT of the can and into the pour, huge sticky aromas of mango and orange abound. While Alter Ego tends toward the dankness, JJJULIUSSS packs in the sticky sweet, overripe, candied fruit juice deliciousness. Bright, yet deeply penetrating. I can feel it in the back of my throat. Earthy and pungent. Primal.

T - this is one of those beers that makes you take a step back and look at your glass in disbelief. Absurd to anybody watching. The lively, bright, and vivid nature that makes Julius Julius is still there in full force, but with a backbone from the beer gods. Robust support structures of deeply rooted mango and pineapple life this one up above the rest. Julius just seems somehow... thin compared to this. Commandingly sweet, yet delicately balanced bitterness and flavors of orange, tangerine, nectarine, satsuma, mandarin... you name it! Bam sha-pow! A tropical bouquet of candied fruit, juice, fresh citrus, and a pointed bitterness to round it all out. Passionfruit and guava. So many flavors. So much flavor!

F - as always, Tree House delivers with the soft, pillowy goods. Lush and creamy, full-bodied and low carb, which melds well with the tingling bitterness. Other TH offerings may have better mouthfeels due to higher alcohol content, but this one suits this fantastic beer just fine.

O - this is the beer I wanted King Julius to be. KJ certainly is awesome, but it gets too galaxy heavy and the flavor starts to take a backseat to the overwhelming taste of pure hops and booze. This... this retains all that flavor and kicks the alcohol down a notch to bring out even more flavor. The drinkability is insane. I had this once before last year after the 3rd anniversary party and it blew my mind over AE and regular Julius. I just had to make sure it wasn't a fluke. My Untappd check-in describes it perfectly: "Julius+"

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Think of JJJuliusss as simply a more hop-forward version of Julius.

Take the juicy orange creamsicle taste of the base beer, dial down its sweetness a notch, then introduce a noticeable hop bitterness to its flavor profile.

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.51/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this today, about 8 hours ago, and it has been in my cooler and then a fridge since then.
It poured a cloudy, pale, washed out, unfiltered, light golden honey color without any head to speak of.
Light citrus aroma that seems a bit mundane.
This beer has a light taste of citrus and melons that leaves a decent dryish to very light sour lemon aftertaste.
Since I'm in for the night I'll have to say I'm happy with the ABV and the way it sneaks up on a person, I wouldn't recommend drinking a growler and driving by the the local black and white.

4.14/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

I can't believe I crap lucked out into this beer on my first visit. Strange place that the local government won't let prospective buyers even TRY a taste before buying. Strange and Monson, Ma should be ashamed of themselves. First thing I did when I got this beer bCk to the hotel room was surround it with ice and the wait an agonizingly long tome to get it cooled off enough to drink. I have never had a better beer. Heady, Sip, Epiphany, Second Fiddle, Lunch, and others. What a treat. Thank god I had my non beer drinking amazing wife who stood in line for 47.32 minutes (by her watch) and was able to pick up 12 of these beauties.

JJJuliusss from Tree House Brewing Company