Juice Machine

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Juice MachineJuice Machine
Notes: Juice Machine was originally devised and brewed to support our very first trip to Extreme Beer Festival in 2014. We’ve revived and tweaked the original recipe on a 30 BBL scale and brought new life and experience into the idea of an obscenely hop saturated yet juicy and delicate Double IPA. It is essentially a marriage of the King Julius malt bill with a hopping intensity schedule similar to that of Very Green. The use of Magnum, Columbus, Amarillo, Citra, and Galaxy creates perhaps our most complex drink with unapologetic flavors of tangerine, mango, lime, papaya, and grapefruit with waves of dankness. Hop burp nirvana, indeed.
Reviews: 185 | Ratings: 1,062 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.48/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours matte orange color. Completely opaque and a tad bit on the murky side of things. Huge pillowy frothy white head dissipates slowly leaving a large mound of foam on top of the beer.

Aroma is absolutely incredible - the moment you pour the beer you get a massive punch in the face of fresh tropical fruit.

Taste follows the nose wth tons of tropical fruit but a nicely balance hop bite on the back end. Feel is fuller bodied, but not sludgy. Moderate carbonation.

Really this was the first tree house beer Ive had that blew me away. its something else and a definite must try.

FBarber from Illinois, May 01, 2020

Look:
A red-hued Julius. Vibrant and bright. Less haze than I expected, which I enjoyed.

Smell:
Fruit juice, zero hops on the nose.

Taste:
That same sweet fruit juice, almost borders on kool-aid without being too sweet.

Feel:
Similar to other Treehouse offerings -- a striking balance between thick and thin.

Overall:
Biased, as this is my favorite Treehouse. It just feels slightly more refreshing than Julius and its siblings. This is likely to do more with the fruit profile matching my preferences more than anything else.

WanderingUlysses from Pennsylvania, Apr 28, 2020
3.9/5  rDev -17.2%

16 oz. can. Hazy orange. Smells of citrus and tropical fruit. A touch of creamy oats. Tastes of orange creamsicle, light tropical fruit, chewy oats, creamy back end. Medium heavy, like most TH DIPAs. Good, but really not getting the hype.

4.38/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Can sent as a care package from my brother in Providence. Thanks Bro! Look: cloudy peach/pineapple. Smell: rich melon, honey, thick hops. Taste: a bit yeasty when colder, but really opens up when it warms just slightly, cold to cool temp. Honeydew melon, pineapple, sweet malt, layered and rich hop flavor. Feel: full bodied and slightly creamy. Overall: would drink again in a second. Hopefully will get the chance to visit the brewery someday!

Chcshammonde from California, Apr 26, 2020
4.74/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The world's biggest thanks to Alan for this super long time want of mine. I can't believe I'm face-to-face with it now. Alright. Let's get started.

Pint can - dated 02/05/20 (I know, but it's what I've got) - poured into an ale tulip at 45°F.

Pours a deep creamy apricot juice orange - creamy and entirely turbid - topped with three fingers of dense, pillowy off-white head with fantastic retention, leaving seriously tenacious lacing behind.

Nose: Immediately, it's so obviously a Tree House IPA. It just has that stuff. That Tree House vibe. That sweet candied malt and yeast combo with a little hint of cotton candy. I definitely get hop aromas of Amarillo and Galaxy. Amarillo lends a ton of guava, papaya, and pithy tropical fruit notes, Galaxy lends maybe the biggest peach note I've ever gotten from a beer - with or without peaches, there's plenty of Citra, with orange cream, grapefruit, and mango, and then just an absolute bombardment of pure hop notes. Just resinous, sticky, oily, green leafy hops. Really very nice.

Palate: Before I even get into it, let me just say that I completely ignored the whole "Half Very Green, half King Julius" idea, but that just sounds impossible, but man oh man, this is like 50% Very Green mixed with 50% King Julius. It's that real. Semi-to-moderately sweet, grainy pale malt opens up with an immediately saturated, juicy hop explosion with just a twang of fruity acidity. That orange creamsicle thing from King Julius leads the way, followed by a bombardment of guava, papaya, mango, pineapple, and some juicy and pithy grapefruit. Then, those Very Green Galaxy notes come in, with a deep, dense, almost earthy, way overripe stone fruit flavour with tons of overripe peach, nectarine, apricot, and more overripe papaya, along with a touch of fresh cut grassy and leafy notes. The fruitier notes from the first half all become overripe and then this citrus pithiness comes in, leaning way more orange than grapefruit. For a Galaxy-forward finish, it's damn clean - suddenly getring fruity again before gently lifting off the palate leaving some resinous hop oils behind, and if I do say so... Some seriously delicious burps. Bitterness fades instantly and does not linger. Zero ABV, and though I hate the term... Absolutely crushable.

Mouthfeel/Body: Basically King Julius. Just rich, creamy, soft, pillowy, fluffy... You name it. While this beer is full and creamy, it isnt cloying or sticky at all. It has that angelic soft creamy feel, yet simultaneously manages to be insanely crisp and drinkable. It defies beer physics, and it's basically perfect. Screw it. I'm giving out my first 5 here. Low, but perfectly spritzy effervescence.

Overall: I didn't think King Julius could be beat as the best New England IPA in the world, yet here I am. I am truly stunned by this one. I waited several days to allow myself to forget about this and all the hype so I could review it honestly and objectively. That hype is so real. Trust me. If anyone doesn't buy into that hype crap and overrate beers just because people love them, it's me. If a "world class" beer is garbage, I'll say so. This is world class, and belongs at the top of the list. Wow, what a seriously special beer. My new desert island beer. If only I could get it!

Alan, you are a saint!

4.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opaque golden haze

Fruity citrus nose

Nice hop profile softly rounded out with citrus and papaya

Pillowy soft smoothie mouth feel

Overall very balanced between sweet and bitter with a nice soft and smooth finish. This one is worth the hype.

Erikshegda1994 from Pennsylvania, Apr 07, 2020
4.39/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

CAN
Opaque persimmon with crusting creamy white head; ganga, orange rind, mint, kaffir lime leaf + jasmine, fusels as it opens; wheaty front, big hit of fresh squeezed OJ, some mango puree, a streak of dank greenery, peachy esters, specks of lime sorbet, pineapple ice cream + cantaloupe; round, soft, salty.

4.5 4.25 4.5 4.5 4.25

Magnum, Columbus, Citra and Galaxy

A couple of things to like about this beer: like all the best taste experiences, it delivers something different with each mouthful + on first sip, it tastes more like orange juice than any beer I’ve ever had.
Does that add up to the worship this beer gets? I’m not sure.
It is 30 days in the can which, from my experience with Tree house, makes a huge difference - I wonder if it would be even brighter if it were under a month, or handled better while in transit.
I’m impressed, too, with the depth - you can play the “name a fruit” game and pick it out once you know to look for it. Orange, which is the unifying thread, I didn’t think even came from this hop combo.
But I also can’t say it’s structured very well. There’s not exactly top + bass notes; more just a bum rush of flavours + whatever hits your tongue first wins. That’s pretty unforgiving, I realize, but when a beer gets ratings like this one does, it gets held to a higher standard.
And I also can’t forgive the boozy whiff off the nose, or how that leaks into the body as it opens + turns all the fruit into compote.
But I can’t complain: after more misses than hits with this brewery, I’m glad to get one close to its reputation.

Conclusion?
Tree House can make some amazing beers, and they completely fall apart somewhere between Week 4 + Week 8.

StJamesGate from New York, Apr 05, 2020
4.52/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange in color with a finger plus of white head that leaves behind decent lacing. Aroma is smooth orange and tangerine sherbert, mango, and papaya with a whiff of alcohol. Taste hits the same notes as the aroma. There is a nice smooth orange and tangerine sherbet note upfront along with lots of tropical notes like mango, papaya, and a little sweet passion fruit. The finish has just enough bitterness to balance things out. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I’ve had a few different batches of Juice Machine and this is by far my favorite. In the past I’ve been a bit underwhelmed as flavors seemed muted but everything popped in this batch. The flavors and aromas were on point and you could tell this was a Tree House beer.

mnj21655 from Massachusetts, Mar 24, 2020
4.56/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On the heels of a King Jjjulius yesterday, I figured I'd try this one out today. Pours beautifully and smells even better. You can clearly smell the various fruits, which scream "drink me". Juicy taste (which it better be considering the name) Smooth to drink and goes down very easily. I'm not a big IPA drinker, but this is one I would gladly revisit given the chance.

Roy_Hobbs from Connecticut, Mar 15, 2020
4.65/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very highly touted beer, and yup, it was great! Was it overwhelmingly outstanding? Hard to say - but it was certainly delicious. The one downside was that I didn't actually enjoy the look of the beer all that much - it had sort of a store-bought pineapple juice color to it. I've definitely seen prettier beers. But the smell was mouth-watering and juicy, and the taste was crisp and refreshing, despite the 8.2% ABV. I went through the line twice at Tree House to get a few extras, and I'm not sure it was worth it, given all the other great DIPAs they are putting out...

4.37/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With a name like "Juice Machine", how could you go wrong? I wouldn't say that this beer did but at the same time, I'm not sure how it was so highly rated although this was nothing less than a juice bomb. The end result was a beer that was easy to enjoy and full of flavor but not groundbreaking or outstanding at the same time...

No doubt that this was juicy in appearance, as the liquid looked like cloudy orange juice with plenty of head to top it off. So much lacing to behold as it was deep, layered, and extensive as it revealed itself throughout my time with this. Lots of orange, tropical, and floral notes in the aroma as it was deep and alluring but not what I was hoping for at the same time. Orange blossom and lime combined with a deep floral tone that could also be felt in the taste with some hints of cream and kiwi to give this an earthy and exotic undertone underneath the overt juice. Plenty of slickness here but in the end, there was too much urine, funky feet, and turbidity to make me rate this any higher...

Enough booze was in this and it wasn't a detraction although this beer had enough overt heft in it as the flavors were more potent than I would have liked. Canned on 2/5 with "HEY LASER LIPS: YOUR MAMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!" written above it, the Short Circuit reference wasn't enough to elevate this beer's rating in my book. Yes, this was a smooth, solid beer but would I put it among my top 50 or 100? Probably not although I'd tell anyone seeking out a quality brew to obtain this. Worth a go once but it wasn't worth the hype in any way, shape, or form.

JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey, Mar 02, 2020

Pours a completely yellow color with a big, stable head.

Smells of mango, cactus juice and passion fruit, enhanced by a copious amount of limes, creating a truly fruit forward nose. Got additional layers of blueberries, wild honey and kiwi, creating a great, malt free nose.

Drinks utmost smooth, creamy with a well working, finely nuanced carbonation, lending a pleasant refreshment to the medium bodied beer.

This begins with lots of ripe blackberries, sweet papaya and pungently bitter limes, establishing a fantastic hop intensity from the very beginning. Adding lighter nuances water melon, lusciously ripe oranges and almost creamy appearing passion fruit puree, this seems to balance itself purely by the hops, with just a light note of white bread dough reminiscence of the use of malts in this. Finishes lime forward, bitter, with a coating fruit sweetness, maintaining on the tongue just as long, soothed by a world class, smooth mouthfeel.

I am floored by this. It is hard to imagine a double ipa which drinks that easy and tastes so full of flavors as this does. It is a truly unique, intense and incredibly well balanced beer, which defines the style for me from here on.

aleigator from Germany, Mar 01, 2020
4.68/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow this one is no joke. I had sky-high expectations for this NE style IPA from the amazing Tree House and yet it still blew me away again. 2/5/20 date printed on can so it was nice and fresh. Pours a great-looking hazy yellow color with some fluffy white head and beautiful rings of lingering lacing that persisted to the end. Smells of fresh ripe oranges, mango, grapefruit, melon, passion fruit, guava and maybe a little papaya. Also some malt, creamy vanilla, bread and weaker floral and herbal hops. A little bit of dankness at the end. Taste follows the nose, great hit of orange zest in the front and nice dankness with the sweeter malt backbone in the finish. Wonderfully balanced and juicy - almost like drinking a creamy orange juice (not an Orange Julius or orange creamsicle, which is what I was afraid of). Smooth, sticky, pillowy-soft mouthfeel with good carbonation that was dangerously easy to drink. With the higher ABV this one goes down way too easily. An incredible beer, one of my favorite NE IPAs and certainly one of their strongest that I've tried so far.

beersampler6 from Michigan, Feb 26, 2020
4.67/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer tastes better than the King Julius I bought at Tree house at the same stop at the brewery a few weeks ago. It's delicious. One of the best beers I have ever had. I consistently feel like Tree House gets it right when it comes to creating beer that is a level above. I like the can on this one too.

jmphillips88 from Massachusetts, Feb 19, 2020
4.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

canned 2 5 2020, opened 2 15 2020

“hey laser lips, your mama was a snowblower”

two finger creamy off white foam cap, great retention over a hazy orange liquid, good lacings

bright, freshly squeezed orange juice aroma, tangerine, lime, papaya

taste is tangerine, lime, papaya

hop taste, no bite , hop taste lingers, semi dry finish,

good beer

WunderLlama from Massachusetts, Feb 16, 2020
4.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank canned. Delicious. Excellent drinkable DIPA. Very hoppy without being an absolute bitter bomb. Heavenly aroma. I wish I could get it in PA. ...

pajeff from Pennsylvania, Jan 18, 2020
4.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Canned 11/26/19
“I’m inevitable and I am juice machine”
Another massive DIPA that I was surprised to see on the can list on a random visit to TH. Heavier on the fresh orange juice and sticky resin compared to King Julius. Just amazing whether it’s the first cold sip from the can or the last warm sip an hour later. A bit danker in the finish which can be cloying and a bit like shoving a whole bag of peach gummy rings in your mouth at once. How do they do it??

Gatch from Rhode Island, Dec 24, 2019
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Juice Machine pours a bright and inviting orange, similar to my childhood drink, Tang with a very well formed, rich and foamy head. The smell is big and juicy with tangerine, orange, papaya and pineapple with a mild sweetness. The taste, EXCELLENT! This is now my favorite THBC beer I've had. Intense citrus that is smooth and clean over the palette. Orange, tangerine, pineapple, mango, the juicy fruits don't stop!

stoumi from California, Dec 18, 2019
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The name says it all- Juice Machine is the quintessential fruity NEIPA. It is a banquet of Juicy hop aroma and taste. Is it hyped? sure, but it is also a smooth fruity smoothie. The ABV is well hidden behind a a sweet balance of malt and hops.

thedaveofbeer from Massachusetts, Dec 16, 2019
4.64/5  rDev -1.5%

Yeah, this is the juice bomb! I love it... though not quite as much as it's little cousin, Julius. But how many superlatives does Tree House need? Damned great beer.

Preston from Florida, Dec 16, 2019
4.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours cloudy orange with a grayish hue. Two fat fingers of yellowed, almost sandy-colored head. Good retention. Thick lacing.

Tropical fruit medley in the nose — with pineapple, papaya, mango, tangerine and black pepper — but it doesn’t really jump out at you.

The taste is a couple degrees stronger with nice overripe fruit that’s led by cream and mango, and balanced by heavy black pepper.

The feel is relatively thick and creamy with prickly carbonation.

Nowhere near as fruity or juicy as I’d expect from the name, but still tasty.

thebeers from Pennsylvania, Dec 12, 2019
4.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Straight orange juice, almost like biting into the juiciest orange ever, and eating it pith and all. Beautiful in the glass, smells like oj, mouthfeel is full bodied and intense for a TH, which is to say not-overwhelmingly-so.

timniems from Massachusetts, Dec 08, 2019
4.69/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. This was a total Juice BOMB! Had this on draft at the brewery while hanging out with my dog. It was pure bliss. I thought they poured me a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice when I first laid eyes on the beautiful color of the pour.
The color was enhanced by the omnipotent fall sun rays; highlighting the complexity of this beer even more. Such a great brew. Wish I could get this consistently.

mrbeer69 from Rhode Island, Nov 11, 2019
4.69/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

poured into a pint glass via can

color is tang orange

smell is dense citrus and sweet mango, papaya and banana?

taste is huge citrus

carbonation is high as is the mouthfeel

not much more can be said of this beer..the hype is real and worthy
got damn lucky to be headed to TH right after this was canned..wish it was more than 2PP thou

Jlabs from New York, Oct 29, 2019
4.78/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. Waited 2 hours for this and worth every minute. My wife was my mule, and also waited to allow me to get 2 additional cans. I was thinking of leaving her, but I’ve decided the marriage is strong again. As everyone says, a mash of 2 great beers and this does not disappoint - the best of their DIPAs, which is all I need to say.

BradMacMullin from Massachusetts, Oct 26, 2019