Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: New England IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

#20

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 723 | Ratings: 4,612
Reviews by tmbgnicu:
4.71/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The hype is very real for this one. Was able to trade for 2 cans and while I loved the first can I drank, it wasn't until the second one that I really understood what was so great about this beer. As the brewery says, this is insanely drinkable. It goes down so smooth. Perfect balance between hops and malt with the hops shining in an amazing way. I will be driving to treehouse very soon to grab some of this beer. Top notch all the way.

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

4.64/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml growler filled 8/1/2014, poured into a Lawson's snifter 8/10/2014.

A- Hazy deep orange body, one finger white head with the right amount of retention and rings of lacing. Great lookin' beer.

S- Juicy citrus, grapefruit and sweet bready pale malt. I don't know how this smells so good, but it does. Again this is really dang juicy. I understand where the name comes from now.

F- Somehow, this beer tastes better than it smells. Citrus, oranges, grapefruits, mango, passion fruit, bread and caramel with more oranges and a slightly grassy citrus finish. Really juicy but balanced. Fantastic stuff.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a nice peppy carbonation. Phenomenal and very drinkable. Juicy, citrus zesty finish that is bitter but just the right amount of bitter grassiness to keep it interesting without interfering with drinkability.

O- Fantastic IPA. This one is worth its weight in gold... and more. Probably the most enjoyable single IPA I've had the chance to drink. I will have to obtain more of these on a regular basis!

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Riding in with much acclaim, the bright and juicy American standard-strength IPA is fabled to boast the perfect medley of orange, mango and passionfruit character from hops alone more so than any thus far. Regardless of any place on a totem pole, excellence is expected.

And the excellence in Julius is realized starting with a creamy peach and golden blend of colors and airy textures. The beer's muddy appearance only works to make it more appetizing. Slow separation of ale to froth suggests a viscous character that carries over to a creamy, tangy, sweet and fruity taste just after a grassy, citrusy, herbal and piney scent starts the show.

Less grassy and herbal in taste, the flavors that blossom on the middle palate are abundant with all-things-orange. Tangerine, in all its tangy, fructose-sweet, vibrant glory springs to life with a zesty support of red grapefruit, lemon and lime. Tantalizing tropical fruits join the taste with pineapple and kiwi nuances. Smooth in the beer's fleeting taste, a sense of bitter sherbet with citrus rinds apply their final and lasting impressions.

Creamy and dry, the taste starts fullish and semi-dry, but trailing bitter, resinous and dry, the soft sappiness of freshly shaven pine links up with fragrant citrus peel for an evaporative texture and a nearly teeth-churning creamy tartness that aligns with sherbet desserts- if only those came in a high bitter version with near seven-percent alcohol to boot.

3.92/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright. The IPA at the top of the heap for the moment. So stoked to be able to try this. After several cans, I think I'm ready to sketch some thoughts.

Rather than go through the parts, I'll start with the sum: Julius is fruity as hell. But, to my palate, there's just not enough depth of hop flavor, nor balancing bitterness. It suffers under the weight of its richly decadent body, fruity esters combining with sweet malt to make this more like sweetened hop cake than bracing, refreshing IPA. I say all this with some reserve. Julius is not a bad beer in the least. And my guess is that this is exactly the sort of beer the brewers set out to create, so mission accomplished there. For me, though, it just doesn't work as well as so many other beloved IPAs.

Now, as to the parts themselves, Julius is a deep, dark orange in the glass, darn near opaque. Under artificial lighting, it's not especially attractive. It has a nice foamy head to start, though retention isn't great (unlike its intrastate rivals, Trillium, whose brews tend to have head for days). The nose is the strong suit, at least at the start, offering a nice blast of peachy fruitiness, with perhaps some citric notes thrown in too. Unfortunately, once all those dry hop volatiles evaporate, J. gets a bit oversaturatedly fruity and, rather surprisingly, malt forward. Palate is heavy, dense even, and drinkability is not especially high. There's some backing bitterness in there, but it's restrained, letting the fruity esters and hops dominate. In the end, Julius is befitting of its name, reminding me of some tropical-flavored iteration of an Orange Julius, thick, fruity, rich.

So cool to try this brew, which in some ways typifies the NEIPA. For me, I'd gladly sacrifice some of that oversaturated fruitiness for more drinkability and more depth/acuity of flavor. But, for those in the mood for some fruity hop excess, this'll do the trick.

3.48/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a real technical review but here goes.

Poured a dark, sickly orange color that reminded me off extra pulp orange juice gone bad. The gf actually said "that looks f*****g disgusting" when I poured it. The aroma is pretty good, lots of fruit there. Taste was again citrus, lots of orange for me, not the hop profile I enjoy in my beers. No way did this come close to living up to the hype or its #10 ranking. Put this on a shelf in my store and I would walk past it everyday, just not my cup of tea.

Had to edit because the first rating was way to high for me personally. Gave in to the hype and didn't want to rate it poorly, but honestly, there was nothing good about this beer except the smell for me.

3.96/5  rDev -14.8%

Thank you, Patrick. Canned 11/05.

Pouring a hazy orange with a dense dirty white head with very good retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose is a giant blend of tropical fruit with mango, papaya, passionfruit , cooked oranges, fleshy, pulpy and delicious. Doughy malt is present. The palate opens with a riot of hop flavor, just tons and tons of fruit. Mango, peach, papaya, baked oranges galore with a definite doughy malt character, a little bit like cereal? Not unlike other New England IPAs I've has on this trip east, it's a little messy, lacking in the clean bitterness that ties together all the hop flavors. What bitterness is present is a little minty/ spruce like, interesting but a touch unfocused. Medium in body with a beautiful creamy carbonation, this beer had a long finish, mostly fruity with a little bitterness on the finish. Interestingly, the bitterness does also have a mild astringency, mildly aspirin like. Solid. I'd drink a ton if I could.

3.38/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer.

4.18/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't get me wrong - this is a fantastic IPA bursting with tropical fruit and citrus. However, with the hype behind it, I expected something a bit more. It was outshined by the double dry hopped fort point I had the same night. Drinks a bit thin, but it's very smooth and absurdly crushable.

3.72/5  rDev -20%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I honestly.... was let down by this beer.

I actually like this style of IPA. Love the hazy, unfiltered, low carb, mega dry-hopped IPA... but for some reason I was very put off by the "old" malt tasting.... flavor... of this beer. It tasted like an IPA that has been sitting around for about 2 months.

It lacked flavor and very muted nose as well. Date on the can was 1-21-2016 (so about... 11 days old)

This isn't a bad beer at all, but to call it world class? In my books - no.

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Growler courtesy of Cam....oh man, what a great surprise. Thank you buddy!

Rich orange, big fluff, pillows of lace....wow!

Big waves of citrus...orange, tangerine, nectarine...so damn fruity.

Huge notes of citrus here as well, baby aspirin, some caramel and bready malts for firm yet welcomed support, and a light grassy bitterness that keeps things honest.

Sweet and lightly syrupy but modestly carbonated allows this to feel juicy as well.

So much to like here and just a ridiculous amount of fresh hops and citrus twang with enough malt support and gentle bitters to keep everyone playing nicely. Damn Cam...thank you!

Look: Cloudy, golden orange. Full on haze. One finger of fluffy white head. A little bit of glass lacing when you swirl the beer around. It looks awesome!

Smell: Right away when I opened the can I could smell the citrus fruit. Big aggressive juicy orange, tangerine and sweet grapefruit notes. There's some tropical fruitiness as well but it takes a back seat to the citrus. peach and fresh diced pineapple. There's this amazing yeasty bubblegum smell that ties in with the intense fruitiness. A light maltiness is also present, and adds to an already incredible smelling beer!

Taste: Damn this is a treehouse beer that's for sure. Right away I notice the same thing I notice with Green. That the feel of this beer is so soft and creamy. It just makes the experience that much better. Upfront your greeted with this great yeasty pink bubblegum flavor that the rest off the flavors play off of. You also get soft notes of orange and tangerine. The mid plate transitions to light notes of pineapple ,peach, and passionfruit. There's a light breadiness that mixes in with the pineapple and peach. All well that is going on that beautiful bubblegum note is never lost. The beer finishes with some orange peel, grapefruit rind and pine needle. The beer has a medium bitterness that just works in harmony with everything else that is going on. The aftertaste is a mix of sweet bubblegum and bitter grapefruit.

Feel: Medium to full body. Extremely creamy and soft. It has probably the second softest, creamiest mouthfeel I've ever experienced. The first being Green. The beer just floats across your tongue and down the back of your throat.

Overall: What can be said about treehouse, that hasn't already been mentioned. There the best IPA brewery I've ever had. Every time I have a beer from them it becomes clear why there so sought after. There beers deserve to be savored and thoroughly enjoyed.

easily one of the top IPA's I have ever had, that includes Pliny the Elder and HT - South Carolina

4.35/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

16oz can, sample from the brewery.

Pours an orangey (completely hazed over) hued, can was acquired fresh from the brewery and was in the beer fridge for 10 days. This hazed look is not to be compared with "milkshake" beers IMO though fresh from the brewery or cans that are decanted all of the way will make it look even more hazed. A lot of the haze is chillhaze though who wants to drinking this beer warm? Head retention is great. Fresh juicy orange zest & tropical fruit nose, the aroma is nothing short of epic. Smooth and very crisp, lush semi-creamy medium body. Hop bitterness is a piney, hop flavor is juicy an all with suggestions of guava, ripe honeydew, dragonfruit, & cumquats.

Way too much fun quaffing this back ... everyone should hunt this beer down.

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Canned 12/29/17. Pours a beautiful hazy orange in color with a fluffy white head, which retained much longer than I was expecting (NEIPAs have a bad habit of poor head retention). Massive fruity hop aroma with heavy citrus and tropical fruit notes. Flavor is very fruity as well, bursting with new hops and a subtle, slightly bready malt note. I'm usually not big on flavor descriptors, but this had a ton of peach & mango notes. Mouthfeel was pillowy soft with just a bit of dryness. I had high expectations for this and it easily lived up to them. I'd give it a 4.7/5

4.61/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A strong pour was needed for a 1/3 finger sized off white short lived foamy head. Irregular punctuation mark lacing, the head quickly shrunk to a ring. Labeled can, blue green dot, 11/02/18, is this too fresh?
Turbid, translucent pale yellow straw color, pineapple/grapefruit juice mix in front of light.
Fresh hop smell with yeast esters and citrus rinds in the background.
The taste starts a little bit tart from piney hops as a semi-sweet juiciness and maltiness, enrichens the middle. There is remnant yeast present that adds to the richness. The finish is semi-dry with a funky grass twinge and a spicy, peppery bite. A fresh hoppy aftertaste lingers a bit.
Medium light body, lower than average CO2, alcohol is barely perceptible.
Dangerously quaffable, smooth and balanced. Malt, yeast, hops and citrus fruit, all so fresh tasting.

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious. If you like a juicy, fruity NEIPA, it’s time to pilgrimage to Tree House and pick this up. Glowing orange with a white, foamy head. Bold and delicious taste that goes down uber smoothly. Strong ABV but it’s enclosed gently in the overall flavor profile. Essentially perfect, in my view.

4.66/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer,
I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. This happened to me while drinking this beer. And the overwhelming citrus notes sure did sting my nose on the way out. But now I'm enlightened. So I have that going for me.

4.93/5  rDev +6%

Opened from can and cosumed on the day it was canned.

Look; dark mango
Smell; fruity, hop presence is high, aromatic.
Taste; citric and smooth, not a juicy mango like other THs but very agreeable. Finish is perfect.
Feel; you can feel the cloudyness, similar to a hef.
Overall: great beer, Im blessed to live close to TH. Nothing like NE ipas right now.

4.36/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml growler from Reagan1984. Served in a taster pint and shared with friends.

A - White foam settles to a near-complete cap, thick collar, and leaves behind plenty of splotchy lacework. Hazed orange body.

S - Reminds me a lot of Zombie Dust actually, but with a tad more sugary malt sweetness. Massive citrus, light dankness and onion in the periphery.

T - The taste is quite similar, with loads of citrus, light tropical melon and mango, and some balancing brown sugar malts. Very low bitterness, as one would expect from a Citra-heavy brew.

M - Soft, growler-style carbonation. Medium body, no alcohol presence, and a dry, crisp finish.

D - A great brew that is supremely drinkable. A tiny bit sweeter than I prefer, but on the whole pretty excellent stuff. Would happily drink this again any time. The growler emptied in record time and I may have to ask Greg for a full 64oz next time he heads to Tree House.

4.67/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a week old can into a teku:

Appearance: thick, turbid orange color, with a pillowy white head. Pretty much looks exactly like orange juice, with a nice fluffy white head on top.

Aroma: the second you open the can, tropical aroma pours out. Loads of refined citrus aroma, with oranges, grapefruit, and tons of mango. Not much malt evident at all, it's all hops here!

Taste: Silky smooth and pungent tropical flavor. Layer upon layer upon layer of smoothie fruits, with mango first, followed by the more citrusy grapefruit and orange, and finishing with a little bit of rind/pith on the finish. Delicious and refreshing.

Feel: soft to medium body, with the perfect amount of carbonation. Not overly crisp, and not just juice either. Elevates the beer, no doubt.

Overall: it's one of the best IPAs on the planet. Seek it out and bury yourself in its layers of hops.

The beer you would give a youth soccer team at half time.

The beer pours like homogenized pulpy organize juice, and as the precious liquid is hitting the glass wild aromas are emerging and you can smell it from a couple feet away. (Like really how does Tree House do this? As a home brewer I am stunned every time)

The beer is a robust orange color and the nose is juicy orange (no lemon or grapefruit at all) with a pleasant rotting hop quality to it. Now when I smell it I am 99 percent sure they are using Simcoe in there somewhere, which means I need to use Simcoe in my hazy IPA recipe.

The taste is lucious, mouth watering, and there is just hoppy orange juice with virtually no hop bitterness at the end, just more succulentness (is that a word? Now it is!)

Julius, you do me right.

4.94/5  rDev +6.2%

The beer comes in a deep rich orange. Looks like fruit juice with a splash of blood orange.

The aroma explodes of tropical mango, peaches, papaya, mandarin orange, sweet nectarine, white peaches, with a touch of sweetness. Literally sugary tropical fruit candy.

On the palate, one first notices a creaminess that rolls on the tongue, almost as if oats were added, despite the beer being very clean and dangerously drinkable for its ABV. The beer offers nectarine, green mango, papaya, mandarin orange/tangerine. The middle has some green grassy herbal. A good amount of yeast dough comes throughout. The finish ends with grapefruit pith. How this beer flies off the palate and the very gentle bitterness makes this drink towards a 5% brew.

This beer tastes absurdly close to an HF brew, notably Susan. I give Susan the slight edge, but this is the 2nd best IPA I’ve had.

EDIT - increased the score... There is just something about this beer that is memorable and will never forget how damn delicious this smells. It lacks depth of a traditional IPA, but it's SO damn tasty. I buy into the hype

From a trade, canned 3/29

Pours a hazed rich gold color with a small frothy head. Nose is honestly like candy... TONS of candied mango, pineapple, key lime pie and some honey. VERY bright and juicy. Taste is very malt forward! Malt bill is strong with caramel and even dominates the flavor profile over hops. Hops provide little bite but bursts of tropical fruit and melon. Overall, I was so surprised how malt-forward these Tree House beers are and kind of love that.

4.62/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh yeah! Just filled at the brewery about 2 hours ago... it's fantastic, can't wait to down this growler!

Gently pouring from the growler that's filled all the way to the tippety top, forms a film of liquid gold streaming between the sides of the glass and the main spout of liquid, when it finishes pouring a big frothy 1.5 finger head is left in the aftermath (excuse my pun), that sticks around for a while and leaves lots of soapy lacing like head exploded in the glass. The beer itself is semi hazy, with a nice golden light streaming through the reddish orange peach honey colored beer.

Nose is phenomenal! the bursting bright bodacious tropical fruits fill my nostrils and dance in the receptors, tangerine, light citrusy clementine, a bit of grapefruit and a little passion fruit all waft out in a big tropical fruit blend. A light wave of resin and floral hops come out next with just a bit of a malty base to prop it up. The more I nose, the more the huge wafts of pure grapefruit come out, it's like breaking the little juice packets on a fresh grapefruit. After a while I could practically confuse this for grapefruit juice.

My taste buds await their fate as they prepare for the awesomeness coming out of the glass. First wave of the beer actually brings a light sweet malty base that paves the way for the hops following quickly after. It doesn't take long for fresh grapefruit to rush in. Citrus and tropical fruit just entwine their juiciness with each cell of my tongue and saturate the deliciousness part of my tongue. Between waves of fresh squeezed grapefruit comes light tangerine, passion fruit, papaya, mango, tropical fruit you name it! Hint of a fresh hop resin and pure Citra awesomeness, maybe a little Simcoe, Summit, or Galaxy... it has those delicious profiles. Light bitter rind flavor coming from the mountain of grapefuit, some bitterness but not very bitter initially. I could drink gallons of this without feeling it. Finish is drier but juicy, again tons of grapefruit juice, fresh squeezed just lingering for a long time, like it doesn't want to part with my tongue and my taste buds sure don't want to part with it! A light bitter rind flavor lingering with more tropical fruit flavors, and a little mango and hint resin.

Mouth is med bodied, soft and fluffy at the same time with nice carb, and just a hint of hop oil resin.

Overall, heeelll yeah! Near perfect aroma, super delicious, very drinkable, etc. It's like a lesser boozy, lesser bitter, and lesser resinous version of most of the big Citra Hill farmstead beers, especially SS4 coming to mind, except I only have to drive a few minutes rather than few hours to get it! I can't wait until they expand and I can get a lot more of this growler of pure delicious zen!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company